Clefairy [QC 2/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
[OVERVIEW]

-friend guard, only reason to use clefairy, gives allies more longevity
-follow me is good, helps teammates do things
-eviolite makes clefairy slightly bulkier than clefable
-cant redirect spread attacks, but weakens them because of friend guard, clefable and toge cant do that
-helping hand is good, helps teammates kill things
-major taunt bait, no offensive presence
-clefairy can be considered underwhelming compared to clefable because its forced to run eviolite, but friend guard can make up for it on certain teams

[SET]
name: Friend Guard Support
move 1: Follow Me
move 2: Icy Wind
move 3: Heal Pulse / Helping Hand
move 4: Protect
item: Eviolite
ability: Friend Guard
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

-follow me gives allies free turns
-helping hand helps allies do a lot of damage & kill stuff
-protect helps clefairy stay around and keep friend guard up longer
-clefairy is shit for offense but icy wind is useful for speed control, can be used even when taunted

Set Details
========

-EVs live an admant mega kan DE and rest went into spdef
-eviolite is necessary, boosts both defenses and makes clefairy really bulky
-friend guard is best ability to make teammates really bulky and gives clefairy a niche over cefable

Usage Tips
========

-clefairy should only be used for its ability friend guard to aid set up mons. otherwise you're better off with a different redirector.
-friend guard is only active when clefairy is on the field. so if you dont have clefairy active most of the time, you're better off with a different follow me user
-use follow me and let allies set up and deal out a lot of damage
-use protect to keep clefairy alive if necessary to keep friend guard up as long as possible and when you predict your opponent to double target clefairy
-if an opportunity arises to pick up an ohko with helping hand, use it

Team Options
========

-strong attackers with good bulk work well with follow me and friend guard, like charizard y and kangaskhan. kan can set up power up punches with follow me. zard can take out steels that threaten clefairy & fire off heat waves while clefairy follow mes.
-mega kangaskhan is a great teammate. friend guard increases kan's already good bulk and allows it to live a keldeo secret sword and ko back
-sub users like heatran and kyurem get free turns to use sub with follow me, both are really bulky with friend guard too
-suicune can set up tailwind easily with follow me and becomes insanely bulky with friend guard
-bd azu can get free turns to bd with follow me, and is really bulky with friend guard
-clefairy teammates need to be offensive and powerful because clefairy has really shit offense

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

-thunder wave, good permanent form of speed control
-moonlight to keep clefairy around longer
-moonblast can be used over icy wind for good damage on hydreigon and scrafty. it also doesn't let bisharp switch in to get an easy defiant boost like with icy wind. but you can judt redirect moves from hydreigon and scrafty so icy wind is usually more reliable

Checks and Counters
===================

**Typing Advantage**: can take out clefairy quickly and limit its longevity to only a few turns. aegislash, bisharp, and metagross threaten to 2hko clefairy. heatran sets up subs on it and doesn't care about redirection cause of heat wave
**Utility**: clefairy relies on its support moves to be useful, has no offense to fall back on when taunted. encore can also make clefairy useless in the right scenarios, if it's encored into protect or a weak offensive move.
**Miscellaneous**: clefairy can't redirect spread moves with follow me. it's mostly dead weight in front of common spread attackers like heatran and zard-y

Last edited:

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I don't have time to look over this whole thing and give tips right now but you need 92 Defense EVs to live Double-Edge:

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 92+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 292-343 (84.8 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

you can throw the rest in Special Defense or Special Attack, though investing in offense is kind of moot.

I don't have time to look over this whole thing and give tips right now but you need 92 Defense EVs to live Double-Edge:

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 92+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 292-343 (84.8 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

you can throw the rest in Special Defense or Special Attack, though investing in offense is kind of moot.
seems like a small amount of def but i'll make this the spread unless someone comes up with a better one :)

edit: changing the spread to 252/152/104+
this also lives a kan DE but you get more out of your spdef with this spread

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Don't see the point of Moonblast. Just make Hydreigon and Scrafty attack into Clefairy and it's doing its job just fine. Both mons are likely to switch out of Clefairy anyway bc of what Clef's partner will do to them, while they do jack all to Clefairy.

Just stick to Icy Wind.

Don't see the point of Moonblast. Just make Hydreigon and Scrafty attack into Clefairy and it's doing its job just fine. Both mons are likely to switch out of Clefairy anyway bc of what Clef's partner will do to them, while they do jack all to Clefairy.

Just stick to Icy Wind.
k, changed it.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
i actually have moonblast on my one team with clefairy and it came in handy one match because i needed to stop a BD azu from setting up but anyways

>no heal pulse on the set

clefairy should basically only be used to support setup pokes, on other teams youre better off with any other follow me user that isnt 100% redirection only always

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hey friend

Overview
  • clefairy can sometimes seem underwhelming in contrast to clefable due to the fact that its forced to run eviolite, but friend guard can make up for it on certain teams
Usage Tips
  • it should be noted that friend guard is only active in turns when clefairy is active, so if you dont have clefairy on the field most of the time, you're probably better off using another follow me user
  • protect should be used when you're predicting the opponent to double target clefairy
Team Options
  • mega kangaskhan rocks as a teammate also because friend guard lets it live a secret sword from an opposing keldeo and then ohko it back
Checks & Counters
  • **Steel-types** should be changed to **Typing Advantage**, according to the guide on writing doubles analyses
  • **Taunt** should be changed to **Utility** for the same reason. this tag should include your existing details on taunt and possibly encore, which can make clefairy useless if used in the right scenarios
  • add a 3rd tag: **Miscellaneous**. in this tag, include mentions of how clefairy can't redirect spread moves. clefairy is mostly dead meat in the face of common spread attackers like heatran and char-y.

once you do this, tag me. i'll look it over one last time and hopefully give you 1/3!

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi NOVED its been a bit over a week since i posted that check, are you still working on this? if so, please implement that check when you can and then tag me.

xzern

for sure
other options looks a bit dry, i think you could add the option of mooblast over icy wind if ur scared of bisharp switching in or something. moonblast also does big dmg on hydreigon or scrafty. otherwise, icy wind is recommended because hydreigon/scrafty/insert fighting type here can just be redirected and resisted by clefairy.

once u do that i think that ur good for the czech

1/3

i searched "czech man giving a thumps up" and this was the first result. enjoy

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
one of the mons I've seen used really well with Clefairy is DD Gyarados. That was the only extra thing that came to my mind as I was reading this.

So I guess 2/3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)