Clefairy [Triples]

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Ah yes, my soul Pokemon in VGC happens to be usable in Triples too! Also yes normally these shouldn't be fully written from the start, but hey the reservation thread needed some sort of example analysis!

[OVERVIEW]

Clefairy might seem like a strange option compared to other more common redirection users such as Amoonguss and Togekiss, as its stats aren't very good. However, Clefairy has an ace up its sleeve in the form of Friend Guard, which boosts the defenses of its partners by 33%. Follow Me support in general is great at redirecting important placement-ignoring moves such as Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere, and Dragon Pulse, but Clefairy has other useful support moves such as Snatch and Heal Pulse. Eviolite also does a decent job of making Clefairy bulky while stepping around the Item Clause.

Unfortunately, Clefairy is also massively weak to Taunt: as soon as it gets Taunted, Clefairy is forced to Struggle or use weak attacks such as Icy Wind and Moonblast. Clefairy generally relies on its other two partners for offense, and because of its redirection-based nature and mediocre defenses, it's very easy for Clefairy to get KOed early if you place it in the middle of your team. Overall, Clefairy is a niche Pokemon that isn't very threatening on its own, but its amazing support capbilities make it well worth consideration for any Battle Spot Triples team.

[SET]
name: Follow Me
move 1: Follow Me
move 2: Snatch
move 3: Protect
move 4: Heal Pulse / Helping Hand / Icy Wind / Moonblast
item: Eviolite
ability: Friend Guard
nature: Sassy / Relaxed
evs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Follow Me lets Clefairy redirect and tank hits for its partner. Snatch is an excellent support move, stealing Tailwind, Wide Guard, and Quick Guard for Clefairy's more offensive teammates. Protect lets Clefairy stick around for a bit longer, allowing your other two Pokemon to further take advantage of Friend Guard. The last slot can be somewhat tricky to choose, as Clefairy has plenty of viable options. Heal Pulse allows Clefairy to give any of its teammates a second chance at life, which is especially deadly when paired with Friend Guard's defense-boosting power and Trick Room, under which Clefairy suddenly becomes a speed demon. Helping Hand lets Clefairy boost a partner's offenses and makes up somewhat for its bad offenses, and it is especially useful if your team is full of spread move users. Icy Wind is rather weak, but it gives non-Trick Room based teams another form of speed control, while Moonblast is Clefairy's strongest and most reliable STAB attack.

Set Details
========

Friend Guard is the main reason to use Clefairy over Amoonguss or Togekiss. The ability reduces the damage that Clefairy's partner Pokemon receive, making them very hard to deal with. 252 HP EVs and 172 Defense EVs let Clefairy always survive Adamant maximum Attack Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge, while the rest of the EVs are put in Special Defense for maximum special tanking power. If your team is especially worried about Hydreigon, you can invest 20 Special Attack EVs, which allows Clefairy to OHKO Hydreigon with Moonblast. 12 Special Attack EVs also allow Clefairy to 2HKO Terrakion with the moves.

A Sassy nature with 0 Speed IVs is also a good choice for Clefairy, allowing it to take deadly special attacks such as Sylveon's Hyper Voice better and making it fairly fast under Trick Room. If your team uses other forms of speed control such as Tailwind and Icy Wind, a Calm nature may be preferable. If you are more concerned about surviving powerful Steel-type attacks, a Relaxed or Bold nature with an EV spread of 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 SpD allows Clefairy to survive a Life Orb-boosted Iron Head from Bisharp.

Usage Tips
========

Follow Me is used to protect Clefairy's partners from attacks, and it should be used often to give Clefairy's teammates the chance to set up. If your team encounters Quick Guard or Wide Guard, use Snatch to steal them for your own team, aiding Clefairy's teammates' ffensive presence. Snatch is also a great move to use against a predicted Tailwind. Meanwhile, Heal Pulse should be used often to keep Clefairy's bulky teammates on the battlefield longer. If using Helping Hand, targeting spread attack teammates maximizes your team's chance of dealing massive damage. Don't be afraid to let Clefairy go down if it's taking a lot of nasty hits. It's better for Clefairy to do its job for a little while than sit around and not do anything later on.

Positioning is an especially important aspect of Clefairy in Battle Spot Triples. It may be tempting to place Clefairy in the middle to make maximum use of Follow Me, but be warned: getting hit by three attacks will often knock Clefairy out, meaning that your team will lose its Friend Guard support in one turn. To make the best use of Friend Guard and Follow Me, you'll usually want Clefairy on either the left or the right side of your team. Just make sure that the Pokemon in the middle benefits from Clefairy's Helping Hand if you're using that.

If you find that Clefairy's usefulness is going down, you're late in the game, or you just feel that Clefairy has one particularly good shot of shifting the match's momentum to your favor, this is when sending out Clefairy to the middle can be a good choice. This allows Clefairy to use Helping Hand on either partner and target any Pokemon with Snatch. Because this makes Clefairy a big target, using Protect to delay attempts to KO Clefairy is especially useful when in the middle.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can set up with Substitute or boosting moves, such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Metagross, Mega Salamence, Whimsicott + Terrakion, and Heatran, are all great partners. Tailwind and Trick Room users such as Suicune and Jellicent greatly appreciate Follow Me's redirection support and Friend Guard's defensive boosts. Given that Clefairy has access to Snatch, Pokemon that strongly dislike Wide Guard and Quick Guard such as Sylveon, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Camerupt, Talonflame, and Hitmontop are great teammates. Fire-types, such as Heatran and Mega Charizard Y, can take out opposing Steel-types. Dragon-types such as Hydreigon and Steel-types such as Aegislash and Heatran naturally complement Clefairy. A rule of thumb when using Clefairy is to make sure that its partners are able to make up for Clefairy's extreme lack of offensive presence.

An important aspect of Clefairy's Follow Me support is that it will redirect placement-ignoring moves such as Brave Bird, Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere, and Dragon Pulse. This makes Pokemon such as Hariyama, Aegislash, Mega Metagross, Bisharp, Mega Kangaskhan, Hydreigon, and Mega Salamence great partners, as Follow Me allows them to avoid these moves.

As a special note, Clefairy especially loves Trick Room support, as it gives it the Speed to use Heal Pulse to support teammates, and slow spread attackers such as Sylveon and Mega Camerupt are especially deadly under Trick Room. Some good Trick Room users to consider include Cresselia, Meowstic-M (which can use Safeguard to save Clefairy from Dark Void), Gothitelle, and Jellicent. Another special teammate to consider is Mega Blastoise. Clefairy supports Mega Blastoise with the very valuable Heal Pulse to restore Water Spout's power (the move is especially deadly under Trick Room) and Clefairy can also remove Wide Guard with Snatch, while Mega Blastoise supports Clefairy by slamming Bisharp and Aegislash with its Mega Launcher-boosted Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse, respectively.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Thunder Wave provides Clefairy with an alternate method of speed control. Moonlight can be used to keep Clefairy healthy for longer. Aromatherapy allows Clefairy to further support its partner, though it's fairly situational. Tickle and Fake Tears can be used to help soften up the opponent's team, but Clefairy is very slow and usually can't use either of these moves before its partners get the chance to move. Clefairy is one of the most viable users of Gravity, if that interests you. Clefairy also gets Magic Coat, which allows it to bounce Taunt right back at its attackers and even smack Smeargle's team with its own Dark Void! Minimize can be incredibly nasty for raising Clefairy's evasion, but it'll usually be KOed before it becomes nearly untouchable. After You allows Clefairy to help other teammates under Trick Room take advantage of its low base 35 Speed, which can be helpful for getting out of tricky situations.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Taunt**: Taunt reduces Clefairy's usefulness severely. Taunt users to be wary of include Sableye, Whimsicott, Thundurus, and Gengar.

**Strong Steel- and Poison-type Attacks**: Mega Mawile can OHKO Clefairy with Iron Head regardless of defensive investment. Aegislash can 2HKO Clefairy with Flash Cannon. Bisharp's Iron Head will always 2HKO Clefairy, and Life Orb sets even have a chance to OHKO it.

**Strong Offensive Presence**: Clefairy isn't particularly bulky, so ganging up on it with two Pokemon can cut its life short, especially if it's located in the middle of the team. Clefairy can make use of Protect to get around this, however, making prediction very important.

Last edited:
Thought i'd qc check this soon since it's the first triples analysis close to being finished :)

I really think Snatch shouldn't have slashes next to it. I think Snatch is a big part of what makes clefairy great. I think all the other slashes are better off in the slot near Helping Hand. Personally, I think Heal Pulse should go before Helping Hand as well cause I feel it's more viable but that's something that could be argued so i'm not too worried about which goes first. Mention that snatch takes tailwind as well, that's pretty important since whoever wins the speed control battle in triples is usually the one in driver seat.

You should talk about how Heal Pulse can hit teammates on the opposite side when clefairy is on the far left/right. That's something someone who hasn't played triples might not know, since it's different from other moves like Helping Hand that can't do that. And it's also another reason having clefairy not in the center isn't a bad idea.

I would mention Blastoise in team options. Not only does friend guard make the already bulky blastoise even bulkier but heal pulse gets HP up so water spout can continually do good damage, and clefairy has snatch to break wide guard for water spouts. Blastoise also have moves to deal with some of clefs counters like dpulse for aegi and aura for bish.

Some basic mechanics about Friend Guard might be worth mentioning somewhere for newer players who don't know much about it. Like, friend guard only works when clefairy is on the field and friend guard boosts only affect teammates, not clefairy. Its sort of common knowledge though so idk. It's sort an awkward thing to fit in so i'll let you decide if you wanna add this. Just a suggestion really.

I think the set has the wrong nature, should be Calm(or Sassy for tr).

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Eviolite Clefairy: 146-173 (82.4 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The EVs are correct but you don't need the bold nature if you're going for the kanga survive.

Pokemon that can set up with Substitute or boosting moves, such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Metagross, Mega Salamence, Swords Dance Terrakion, Nasty Plot Thundurus, and Heatran are all great partners.
If i'm understanding correctly this bit is still from the VGC analysis so i wanna pick at this a bit. SD terrak can be changed to just Terracott in general. Terracott is one of the most common things paired with clefairy and it's definitely viable in triples. Nasty Plot thund, i feel like this can be taken out entirely. Doesnt show up on usage stats, ive never seen, and even on paper i dont think it seems worth running.

More emphasis on trick room would be good in team options. trick room is a lot more viable in triples and clefairy works really well with trick room since they always carry hard hitting spread attackers like camerupt, sylv, blastoise, aboma. plus, bulky pokemon getting even bulkier is pretty scary, especially when they're getting healed by clefairy.

I think that's all i have to add. Everything else looks good so once you implement this stuff, 2/3

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thank you so much for the feedback Noved! I implemented everything you mentioned in one way or another (this is why I chose Clefairy as the example analysis: its simple and short enough to make quick edits to lol).

Just a few things to note that happened because of your suggested changes.

-I made the main nature Sassy / Relaxed. Bold is actually used a lot more than Relaxed, but since the whole 0 Speed IV thing is there... well you don't want to use Bold with that :P. Also, in set comments, I mentioned the EV spread for Bold / Relaxed surviving a Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head, which I think can come in handy!

-Since Sassy is the most used nature, I put Heal Pulse in front of Helping Hand. I like Helping Hand a LOT personally, but Ive found Heal Pulse to be especially nasty with Trick Room support, since Clefairy spits out really fast Heal Pulses under it. Because of that, I think Heal Pulse deserves the superior nod in this case for Trick Room teams.

-I mentioned a few Trick Roomers as teammates. nothing exhaustive, its just Cresselia, Meowstic, Jellicent, and Gothitelle. If you want more added such as Aromatisse and Kecleon, I don't mind!

-Not related to the checks, but since I checked the stats because of the Sassy nature, I added two things in other options: Magic Coat for reflecting Taunt, and After You for making stuff go first under Trick Room (god I want to try that out later lol)

Anyways just need one more check! Level 51 Whiskey Tango DragonWhale

Ah yeah, forgot about Magic Coat. With magic coat, add that it reflects dark void and puts all the opposing pokemon to sleep too. (your teammates fall asleep if they don't protect but clef is still awake. at least your opponent will be asleep too though so you're not a huge disadvantage)

& good job with adding everything in, looks great :)

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Literally just a couple of things
  • With 12 SpA Clefairy can confirm the 2HKO on Terrakion, maybe list that as an option?
  • I wouldn't list Meowstic as a great TR setter, but I never really tried it so maybe that's just me.
Otherwise everything else seems fine, I think you covered most everything I might have thought of.

Theorymon

Alright added the EV Spread.

Also, I clarified Meowstic: basically, Meowstic can use Safeguard to block Dark Void, which Clefairy really likes.

Otherwise, this is ready to be GP checked!

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Clefairy may seem like a strange option compared to other more common redirection Pokemon such as Amoonguss and Togekiss, since as its stats aren't very good. However, Clefairy has an ace up its sleeve in the form of Friend Guard, which allows it to boost the defenses of you're other two Pokemon its partners by 33%. Follow Me support in general is great at redirecting important placement-ignoring moves such as Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere, and Dragon Pulse, but Clefairy has other useful support moves such as Snatch and Heal Pulse. Eviolite also does a decent job of making Clefairy bulky, (RC) while stepping around the Item Clause.

Unfortunately, Clefairy is also massively weak to Taunt: as soon as it gets Taunted, Clefairy is forced to struggle or use weak attacks such as Icy Wind or and Moonblast. Clefairy in general relies on its other two partners for offense, and because of its redirection-based nature and mediocre defenses, it's very easy for Clefairy to get KOed early if you place Clefairy it in the middle of your team. Overall, Clefairy is a niche Pokemon, but its amazing support abilities make it well worth consideration for any triples team. (does this last sentence provide new info? summary sentences aren't really allowed on account of being fluff, so i'd try to add a bit of new info to it so you can keep this sentence!)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Follow Me lets Clefairy redirect and tank hits for its partner. Snatch is an excellent support move, stealing Tailwind, Wide Guard, and Quick Guard for your Clefairy's more offensive teammates. [sentence about Protect, unless you think it's self-explanatory?] The last slot for Clefairy can be a bit tricky to choose, as it Clefairy has plenty of viable options. Heal Pulse allows Clefairy to give any of its teammates a second chance at life, which is especially deadly when paired with Friend Guard's defensivee-boosting power, (RC) and under Trick Room, under which where Clefairy suddenly becomes a speed demon. Helping Hand lets Clefairy boost its a partner's offenses and makes up somewhat for its bad offenses, and it is especially useful if your team is full of spread move users. Icy Wind is rather weak, but it gives non-Trick Room based teams another shot at speed control, while Moonblast is Clefairy's strongest and most reliable attack.

Set Details
========

Friend Guard is the main reason to use Clefairy over Amoonguss or Togekiss. The ability reduces the damage Clefairy's partner Pokemon receive, making them Clefairy's partner very hard to deal with. 252 HP / 172 Def lets Clefairy always survive Adamant maximum Attack Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge, while the rest of the EVs are put in Special Defense for maximum special tanking power. If your team is especially worried by about Hydreigon, you can invest in 20 Special Attack EVs, which allows Clefairy to OHKO Hydreigon with Moonblast. 12 Special Attack EVs also allow Clefairy to 2HKO Terrakion.

A Sassy nature with 0 Speed IVs is a good choice for Clefairy, allowing it to take deadly special attacks such as Sylveon's Hyper Voice better, while becoming and making it fairly fast under Trick Room. If your team uses other forms of speed control such as Tailwind or and Icy Wind, Calm may be preferable. If you are more concerned about surviving powerful Steel-type attacks, a Relaxed or Bold nature with an EV spread of 252 HP / 212 Defense / 44 SpD allows Clefairy to survive a Life Orb-boosted Iron Head from Bisharp.

Usage Tips
========

Follow Me is used to protect Clefairy's partners from attacks, and Snatch is used to open up opportunities for Clefairy's teammates to use priority and spread moves. Meanwhile, Heal Pulse helps the team survive longer, and Helping Hand is used occasionally to boost the partner's attacks offenses. (just me, but the previous sentences sound like more like they're from the Moves section than the Usage Tips section) Don't be afraid to let Clefairy go down if it's taking a lot of nasty hits. It's better for Clefairy to do its job for a little while than sit around and not do anything later on.

Positioning is an especially important aspect of Clefairy in Battle Spot Triples. It may be tempting to place Clefairy in the middle to make maximum use of Follow Me, but be warned: getting hit by 3 three attacks will often knock out Clefairy out, meaning you lose lost your Friend Guard support in one turn. To make the best use of Friend Guard and Follow Me, you'll usually want Clefairy on either the left or the right side of your team. Just make sure that the Pokemon in the middle benefits from Clefairy's Helping Hand.

If you find that Clefairy's usefulness is going down, are late in the game, or just feel that Clefairy has one particularly good shot of shifting the match's momentum to your favor, this is when sending out Clefairy to the middle can be a good choice. This allows Clefairy to use Helping Hand on either partner, (RC) and target any Pokemon with Snatch. Since Because this makes Clefairy a big target, using Protect to delay attempts to KO Clefairy is especially useful when in the middle.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can set up with Substitute or boosting moves, such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Metagross, Mega Salamence, Whimsicott + Terrakion, and Heatran, (AC) are all great partners. Tailwind and Trick Room users such as Suicune and Jellicent greatly appreciate Follow Me's redirectional support and Friend Guard's defensive boost (gah, was this onsite? must go to CMS to fix those now...). Since Given that Clefairy has access to Snatch, Pokemon that heavily strongly dislike Wide Guard and Quick Guard such as Sylveon, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Camerupt, Talonflame, and Hitmontop are great teammates. Pokemon that can take out Steel-types, such as Heatran and Mega Charizard Y, are also good partners. Dragon-types such as Hydreigon and Steel-types such as Aegislash and Heatran naturally complement Clefairy. A rule of thumb when using Clefairy is to make sure that its partners are able to make up for Clefairy's extreme lack of offensive presence.

An important aspect of Clefairy's Follow Me support is that it will redirect placement-ignoring moves such as Brave Bird, Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere, and Dragon Pulse. This makes Pokemon such as Hydreigon, Bisharp, Aegislash, Hariyama, Mega Salamence, Mega Kangaskhan, and Mega Metagross (try to reorder these to match them up to Brave Bird, Dark Pulse, etc. I believe that would be... Hariyama, Aegislash, Mega Metagross, Bisharp, Mega Kangaskhan, Hydreigon, and Mega Salamence.) great partners, as Follow Me allows them to avoid their weaknesses to these moves.

As a special note, Clefairy especially loves Trick Room support,
as it gives it the speed to use Heal Pulse to support teammates, and deadly spread attack partners such as Sylveon and Mega Camerupt are especially deadly under Trick Room. Some good Trick Room users to consider include Cresselia, Meowstic (who which can use Safeguard to save Clefairy from Dark Void), Gothitelle, and Jellicent. Another special teammate to consider is Mega Blastoise. Clefairy supports Mega Blastoise with the very valuable Heal Pulse to restore Water Spout's power (which is especially deadly under Trick Room) and its ability to remove Wide Guard with Snatch, while Mega Blastoise supports Clefairy by slamming Bisharp and Aegislash with its Mega Launcher-boosted Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse, (AC) respectively.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Thunder Wave provides Clefairy with an alternate method of speed control. Moonlight can be used to keep Clefairy healthy longer. Aromatherapy allows Clefairy to further support its partner, though it's fairly situational. Tickle and Fake Tears can be used to help soften up the opponent's team, but Clefairy is very slow and usually can't use either of these moves before its partners get the chance to move. Clefairy is one of the most viable users of Gravity, if that interests you. Clefairy also gets Magic Coat, which allows it to bounce Taunt right back at its attackers, (RC) and even smack Smeargle's team with its own Dark Void! Minimize can be incredibly nasty for raising Clefairy's evasion, but usually it'll be KOed before it becomes nearly untouchable. After You allows Clefairy to make other Pokemon (specify, teammates or foes?) under Trick Room take advantage of its slow base 35 Speed, which can be helpful for getting out of tricky situations.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Taunt**: Taunt reduces Clefairy's usefulness severely. Taunt users to be wary of include Thundurus and Gengar.

**Strong Steel- and Poison-type Attacks**: Mega Mawile can OHKO Clefairy regardless of defensive investment. Aegislash can 2HKO Clefairy with Flash Cannon. Bisharp's Iron Head will always 2HKO Clefairy, and Life Orb sets even have a chance to OHKO.

**Strong Offensive Presence**: Clefairy isn't particularly bulky, especially if it's located in the middle of the team, so ganging up on it with 2 two Pokemon can cut its life short. Just watch out for predictions with Protect. (whose POV is this last sentence in? personally i like to keep the POV of Checks and Counters neutral, because both Clefairy users and people-against-Clefairy read it. so maybe change to "Clefairy can make use of Protect to get around this, however, making prediction very important" or something y'know neutral-POV-y? idk if i explained this well)

theorymon i have to know, did the term theorymon come from your name or did you name yourself after it

Last edited:

Theorymon

Thank you P Squared !

Also about my name: the term is certainly before my time. I choose this name for 2 reasons: I am a huge science junkie (since I'm going to be a physicist), and around the time I joined Smogon, I had some Uber teams I "theorymoned" that I wanted to test. Most of them involved Wobbuffet, who was pretty kick ass in gen 4 Ubers (hell I like it this gen in Ubers too).

Funnily enough, people assumed I was a troll or an alt because of the name, but I chose it for fairly innocent reasons!

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add
Remove

Comment

[OVERVIEW]

Clefairy may might (I really don't know which is better; I prefer "might" but I'll get a second opinion) seem like a strange option compared to other more common redirection users Pokemon such as Amoonguss and Togekiss, as its stats aren't very good. However, Clefairy has an ace up its sleeve in the form of Friend Guard, which allows it to boosts the defenses of its partners by 33%. Follow Me support in general is great at redirecting important placement-ignoring moves such as Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere, and Dragon Pulse, but Clefairy has other useful support moves such as Snatch and Heal Pulse. Eviolite also does a decent job of making Clefairy bulky while stepping around the Item Clause.

Unfortunately, Clefairy is also massively weak to Taunt: as soon as it gets Taunted, Clefairy is forced to struggle Struggle or use weak attacks such as Icy Wind and Moonblast. Clefairy in generally relies on its other two partners for offense, and because of its redirection-based nature and mediocre defenses, it's very easy for Clefairy to get KOed early if you place it in the middle of your team. Overall, Clefairy is a niche Pokemon that isn't very threatening on its own, but its amazing support capbilities make it well worth consideration for any triples Battle Spot Triples team.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Follow Me lets Clefairy redirect and tank hits for its partner. Snatch is an excellent support move, stealing Tailwind, Wide Guard, and Quick Guard for Clefairy's more offensive teammates. Protect lets Clefairy stick around for a bit longer, allowing your other two Pokemon to further take advantage of Friend Guard. The last slot can be a bit somewhat (avoid repetition) tricky to choose, as Clefairy has plenty of viable options. Heal Pulse allows Clefairy to give any of its teammates a second chance at life, which is especially deadly when paired with Friend Guard's defense-boosting power and Trick Room, under which Clefairy suddenly becomes a speed demon. Helping Hand lets Clefairy boost a partner's offenses and makes up somewhat for its bad offenses, and it is especially useful if your team is full of spread move users. Icy Wind is rather weak, but it gives non-Trick Room based teams another shot at form of speed control, while Moonblast is Clefairy's strongest and most reliable STAB attack.

Set Details
========

Friend Guard is the main reason to use Clefairy over Amoonguss or Togekiss. The ability reduces the damage that Clefairy's partner Pokemon receive, making them very hard to deal with. 252 HP / EVs and 172 Defense EVs lets Clefairy always survive Adamant maximum Attack Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge, while the rest of the EVs are put in Special Defense for maximum special tanking power. If your team is especially worried about Hydreigon, you can invest 20 Special Attack EVs, which allows Clefairy to OHKO Hydreigon with Moonblast. 12 Special Attack EVs also allow Clefairy to 2HKO Terrakion with the moves.

A Sassy nature with 0 Speed IVs is also a good choice for Clefairy, allowing it to take deadly special attacks such as Sylveon's Hyper Voice better, (RC) and making it fairly fast under Trick Room. If your team uses other forms of speed control such as Tailwind and Icy Wind, a Calm nature may be preferable. If you are more concerned about surviving powerful Steel-type attacks, a Relaxed or Bold nature with an EV spread of 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 SpD allows Clefairy to survive a Life Orb-boosted Iron Head from Bisharp.

Usage Tips
========

Follow Me is used to protect Clefairy's partners from attacks, and it should be used often to give Clefairy's teammates the chance to set up. If you're your team encounters Quick Guard or Wide Guard, use Snatch to steal them for your own team, aiding your Clefairy's teammates' teammate's offensive pressence. Snatch is also a great move to use against a predicted Tailwind. Meanwhile, Heal Pulse should be used often to keep your Clefairy's bulky teammates on the battlefield longer. If using Helping Hand, targeting spread attack teammates maximizes Clefairy's your team's chance of causing dealing massive damage. Don't be afraid to let Clefairy go down if it's taking a lot of nasty hits. It's better for Clefairy to do its job for a little while than sit around and not do anything later on.

Positioning is an especially important aspect of Clefairy in Battle Spot Triples. It may be tempting to place Clefairy in the middle to make maximum use of Follow Me, but be warned: getting hit by three attacks will often knock Clefairy out, meaning that your team will lose your its Friend Guard support in one turn. To make the best use of Friend Guard and Follow Me, you'll usually want Clefairy on either the left or the right side of your team. Just make sure that the Pokemon in the middle benefits from Clefairy's Helping Hand ig if you're using that.

If you find that Clefairy's usefulness is going down, are you're late in the game, or you just feel that Clefairy has one particularly good shot of shifting the match's momentum to your favor, this is when sending out Clefairy to the middle can be a good choice. This allows Clefairy to use Helping Hand on either partner and target any Pokemon with Snatch. Because this makes Clefairy a big target, using Protect to delay attempts to KO Clefairy is especially useful when in the middle.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can set up with Substitute or boosting moves, such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Metagross, Mega Salamence, Whimsicott + Terrakion, and Heatran, are all great partners. Tailwind and Trick Room users such as Suicune and Jellicent greatly appreciate Follow Me's redirectional support and Friend Guard's defensive boosts. Given that Clefairy has access to Snatch, Pokemon that strongly dislike Wide Guard and Quick Guard such as Sylveon, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Camerupt, Talonflame, and Hitmontop are great teammates. Pokemon that can take out Steel-types Fire-types, such as Heatran and Mega Charizard Y, are also good partners can take out opposing Steel-types. Dragon-types such as Hydreigon and Steel-types such as Aegislash and Heatran naturally complement Clefairy. A rule of thumb when using Clefairy is to make sure that its partners are able to make up for Clefairy's extreme lack of offensive presence.

An important aspect of Clefairy's Follow Me support is that it will redirect placement-ignoring moves such as Brave Bird, Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere, and Dragon Pulse. This makes Pokemon such as Hariyama, Aegislash, Mega Metagross, Bisharp, Mega Kangaskhan, Hydreigon, and Mega Salamence great partners, as Follow Me allows them to avoid these moves.
As a special note, Clefairy especially loves Trick Room support, as it gives it the speed Speed to use Heal Pulse to support teammates, and deadly slow spread attackers partners such as Sylveon and Mega Camerupt are especially deadly under Trick Room. Some good Trick Room users to consider include Cresselia, Meowstic-M (which can use Safeguard to save Clefairy from Dark Void), Gothitelle, and Jellicent. Another special teammate to consider is Mega Blastoise. Clefairy supports Mega Blastoise with the very valuable Heal Pulse to restore Water Spout's power (which the move is especially deadly under Trick Room), (AC) and its ability to Clefairy can also (Tried to clean this up b/c Heal Pulse isn't helping Clefairy use Snatch) remove Wide Guard with Snatch, while Mega Blastoise supports Clefairy by slamming Bisharp and Aegislash with its Mega Launcher-boosted Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse, respectively.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Thunder Wave provides Clefairy with an alternate method of speed control. Moonlight can be used to keep Clefairy healthy for longer. Aromatherapy allows Clefairy to further support its partner, though it's fairly situational. Tickle and Fake Tears can be used to help soften up the opponent's team, but Clefairy is very slow and usually can't use either of these moves before its partners get the chance to move. Clefairy is one of the most viable users of Gravity, if that interests you. Clefairy also gets Magic Coat, which allows it to bounce Taunt right back at its attackers and even smack Smeargle's team with its own Dark Void! Minimize can be incredibly nasty for raising Clefairy's evasion, but usually it'll usually be KOed before it becomes nearly untouchable. After You allows Clefairy to make help other teammates under Trick Room take advantage of its low base 35 Speed, which can be helpful for getting out of tricky situations.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Taunt**: Taunt reduces Clefairy's usefulness severely. Taunt users to be wary of include Sableye, Whimsicott, Thundurus, and Gengar.

**Strong Steel- and Poison-type Attacks**: Mega Mawile can OHKO Clefairy (with what?) regardless of defensive investment. Aegislash can 2HKO Clefairy with Flash Cannon. Bisharp's Iron Head will always 2HKO Clefairy, and Life Orb sets even have a chance to OHKO it.

**Strong Offensive Presence**: Clefairy isn't particularly bulky, especially if it's located in the middle of the team, so ganging up on it with two Pokemon can cut its life short, especially if it's located in the middle of the team. Clefairy can make use of Protect to get around this, however, making prediction very important.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)