Cloyster (Analysis)

I've noticed that this set for Cloyster is becoming quite popular on PO...

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
-Icicle Spear
-Rock Blast
-Ice Shard
-Shell Smash

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Quite frankly, without Life Orb or any other boosting item, this Cloyster is pretty lacking offensively. If Cloyster's resorting to Focus Sash (of all the items....), it might not be too viable.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Ctrl + F Politoed.

0 Results.

Noooooooooooo :(

Politoed is the best partner Cloyster could ever ask for and for two main reasons.

The first reason is that the 50% boost to his tertiary attack is very significant and allows him to OHKO a few important Pokemon that would otherwise check him. Observe (blue calculations represent Rain).

Adamant 252 Atk +2 Razor Shell vs 248/0 Scizor = 63% - 74%
Adamant 252 Atk +2 Razor Shell vs 248/0 Scizor = 94% - 111%

Adamant 252 Atk +2 Razor Shell vs 4/0 Magnezone = 68% - 80%
Adamant 252 Atk +2 Razor Shell vs 4/0 Magnezone = 102% - 120%

Adamant 252 Atk +2 Razor Shell vs 252/0 Jirachi = 53% - 63%
Adamant 252 Atk +2 Razor Shell vs 252/0 Jirachi = 80% - 94%

Adamant 252 Atk +2 Razor Shell vs 4/0 Jirachi = 63% - 74%
Adamant 252 Atk +2 Razor Shell vs 4/0 Jirachi = 94% - 111%

48 SpA +2 Hydro Pump vs 252/252+ Forretress = 66% - 78%
48 SpA +2 Hydro Pump vs 252/252+ Forretress = 99% - 116%

48 SpA +2 Hydro Pump vs 252/0 Metagross = 71% - 84%
48 SpA +2 Hydro Pump vs 252/0 Metagross = 107% - 126%

48 SpA +0 Hydro Pump vs 252/0 Quagsire = 42% - 51%
48 SpA +0 Hydro Pump vs 252/0 Quagsire = 64% - 76%

That should speak for itself so I'll move straight onto the second reason - if your Politoed is controlling the weather then the opponent cannot revenge you with Excadrill or Chlorophyll sweepers. Simple, but very important.

So Rain makes Cloyster a lot more difficult to counter by removing 2 of the main checks that teams rely upon - bulky Steel types and speedy weather sweepers.

AccidentalGreed said:
Quite frankly, without Life Orb or any other boosting item, this Cloyster is pretty lacking offensively. If Cloyster's resorting to Focus Sash (of all the items....), it might not be too viable.
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree actually. I'd never use Life Orb because Cloyster already gets his arse kicked by residual damage and, even after a Smash, he enjoys having as much HP as possible since he can still tank most priority hits (CB Scizor does around 64% and Roobushin does about the same).

I actually like Icicle Plate since it gives you the muscle to OHKO Ferrothorn (101% avg damage versus 252/48 Ferrothorn) without giving you all the drawbacks of Life Orb. And lets face it, Skill Link Icicle Spear is pretty much the best thing ever so 'play to your strengths.' :toast:

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
why not run metronome (the item) over icicle spear. it allows rock blast to be stronger as well

edit: oh well... i should probably tell my friend that xD

If the Metronome did count the amount of times a move hit, it would be amazing! Icicle Spear's power could reach 375 (with stab) in 2 turns.

A bit late but I think Twineedle deserves a mention to not be used. It always hits twice and Skill Link doesn't affect it. Though, that's just me.

I've been using Espeon and Wobbuffet with Cloyster lately and it works so well. Espeon puts up the screens allowing Cloyster to Shell Break more while Wobbuffet destroys unwanted pests.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)