Cloyster (Ubers Analysis)

http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/cloyster
QC Approved: Fireburn, Theorymon
GP Approved: cosmicexplorer, zdrup15 (post-check changes approved by Fatecrashers)

[Overview]

<p>Although mostly outclassed as a supporter by Ferrothorn and Forretress, Cloyster makes for a surprisingly deadly sweeper in Ubers. Its horrendous Special Defense makes it difficult to set up, but when it does get that Shell Smash off there is very little that can stop it. Cloyster requires a lot of team support to work effectively, but when it has it Cloyster is a fearsome sweeper.</p>

[SET]
name: Uber Shell Smash
move 1: Shell Smash
move 2: Icicle Spear
move 3: Hydro Pump
move 4: Rock Blast
item: Life Orb
ability: Skill Link
nature: Naive
evs: 232 Atk / 32 SpA / 244 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Cloyster becomes incredibly difficult to wall after a Shell Smash, since it is capable of OHKOing many premier Ubers walls, such as Groudon, Lugia, and Giratina, thanks to its powerful Ice-type STAB. Icicle Spear is the crux of the set, because with Skill Link it effectively has a Base Power of 125. With rain support from Kyogre, a +2 Hydro Pump can KO many Steel-types who would normally wall Cloyster. Rock Blast obtains an immediate OHKO on Ho-Oh, and is Cloyster's strongest attack against opposing Kyogre.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is absolutely crucial due to the power it provides. A Naive nature with the given Speed EVs guarantees that Cloyster outspeeds Jolly Choice Scarf Terrakion after a Shell Smash. 32 SpA EVs guarantee that a +2 Hydro Pump in the rain will OHKO Steel Arceus after one layer of Spikes. The rest of the EVs are dumped into Attack.</p>

<p>The following damage calculations give an idea of the raw power Cloyster wields after a Shell Smash:</p>

<ul class="damage_calculation">
<li>+2 Icicle Spear vs. 252/252 Impish Groudon: 121.5% - 143.5%</li>
<li>+2 Icicle Spear vs. 252/252 Impish Giratina: 109% - 131%</li>
<li>+2 Icicle Spear vs. 4/0 Palkia: 130.5% - 155.5%</li>
<li>+2 Icicle Spear vs. 4/0 Dialga: 105.5% - 125.5%</li>
<li>+2 Icicle Spear vs. 252/4 Dialga: 89% - 106.5%</li>
<li>+2 Icicle Spear vs. 252/4 Ferrothorn: 95% - 112%</li>
<li>+2 Icicle Spear vs. 252/176 Impish Lugia: 125% - 151.5%</li>
<li>+2 Icicle Spear vs. 252/252 Bold Arceus: 62% - 74.5%</li>
<li>+0 Icicle Spear vs. 0/0 Giratina-O: 97.5% - 118%</li>
<li>+2 Hydro Pump in Rain vs 248/0 Steel Arceus: 88% - 103.6%</li>
<li>+2 Rock Blast vs. 4/0 Kyogre: 90.5% - 108%</li>
<li>+2 Rock Blast vs. 252/252 Bold Kyogre: 54.5% - 64.5%</li>
<li>+2 Rock Blast vs. 252/0 Manaphy: 69.5% - 83%</li>
<li>+0 Rock Blast vs. 248/0 Ho-Oh: 149.5% - 178.5%</li>
</ul>

<p>Rapid Spin is an option over Rock Blast or Hydro Pump, allowing Cloyster to clear entry hazards if necessary. It helps that the best spinblocker in Ubers, Giratina-O, cannot switch safely into Cloyster. Another option is Ice Shard, which can be used to revenge kill a +1 Rayquaza or Shaymin-S. Razor Shell is an option over Hydro Pump, but it misses some noticeable KOs.</p>

<p>Because Cloyster is so specially frail, it is almost mandatory to have either dual screen support or Wobbuffet as a teammate. A layer of Spikes is also crucial for some KOs. Deoxys-S can reliably provide both dual screens and a layer of Spikes. Arceus can provide both screens reliably, and can also burn physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp, easing setup for Cloyster. Latios can set up screens and then further weaken the opponent with Memento, giving Cloyster a free switch in, and likely a safe opportunity to use Shell Smash. Ferrothorn and Forretress can both supply Spikes as well, with the latter being able to spin away Stealth Rock, which otherwise severely hampers Cloyster. Ferrothorn is also valuable for its ability to threaten and wear down bulky Water-types, especially Kingdra, which are some of the best answers to Cloyster. Rain support is also required for Hydro Pump to pick up some KOs, so Kyogre should be paired with Cloyster.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Hidden Power Fire can be used on the Shell Smash set to nail Ferrothorn, but should only be considered if Kyogre support can't be managed. Cloyster doesn't really have many options, since Shell Smash sweeping is the only thing it's good at. Cloyster can provide support with Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin, but Forretress outclasses it. Focus Sash or White Herb can be used to give Cloyster some longevity, but it desperately needs the power a Life Orb provides. A gimmicky Clamp set could be used to get up a lot of entry hazards, but it is extremely situational, since many Pokemon in the Ubers metagame threaten Cloyster.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>It should be kept in mind that Cloyster is incredibly frail on the special side, to the point where a -4 support Dialga will OHKO it with Draco Meteor after Stealth Rock. As such, pressuring Cloyster with special attackers will severely hamper its ability to get off a Shell Smash. In the event that Cloyster manages to set up, bulky Kyogre is perhaps the best counter to it, since it can take anything Cloyster can throw at it while at +2, and OHKO back with Scald. Similarly, 252 HP Manaphy can shrug off a +2 Rock Blast and KO back. Kingdra in the rain can outspeed Cloyster and OHKO it with a special attack. Needless to say, Cloyster cannot easily get around these Pokemon without team support. A physically defensive Ferrothorn can just barely take a +2 Icicle Spear and OHKO back with Power Whip. Choice Scarf Darkrai and Shaymin-S can both easily revenge kill Cloyster, although the latter must be wary of Ice Shard. Darkrai also has the added benefit of not being overly troubled by Wobbuffet, who could otherwise trap and kill a Scarfed revenge killer. Priority helps deal with Cloyster very well, so Arceus and Rayquaza make very good checks when running ExtremeSpeed. Scizor is also capable of revenge killing Cloyster after Shell Smash, Stealth Rock, and a few turns of Life Orb recoil. Vacuum Wave users, such as Lucario and Toxicroak, do a fine job dealing with Cloyster as well.</p>

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think the support set is BAD. It has 45 Base SpD which is really poor in Ubers where nearly every attack is Specially based and common sweepers have around Base 130 SpA. So I wouldnt even consider the Support set for a spot on my team. I mean why would anyone ? As a hazard setter or spinner, its outclassed by Forry who has a fantastic typing and better mixed Defenses.

I agree, the support set is terrible and outclassed by Forretress. Cloyster takes much more from an Outrage than Forretress does, and although Forretress has less offensive presence Cloyster doesn't have spectacular offense either, and at least Forretress can defend.

Cloyster is obviously not meant to be setting up on special attackers. It aims to set up on things like Groudon, Ferrothorn, etc. Also, it is not outclassed by Forretress, since a) Cloyster actually threatens Giratina (even the Great Wall spread is 2HKOd by Icicle Spear with no attack investment), and b) it is arguably better for taking on Rayquaza, since, again, no investment is required to OHKO with Ice Shard.

I'll be accumulating logs during the next week for both sets.

EDIT: Made a mistake when running calcs, trickroom is right.

I doubt it 2HKOes Giratina without investment in Attack. Assuming you mean physically defensive Giratina. Cloyster deserves testing, get more good logs, I will try it later, once I am done with Gastrodon.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shouldnt the SS set run 208 Speed EVs ? That way you outrun Scarfchomp after an SS and can KO it with Icicle Spear. You also tie with Adamant RP Groudon which is kinda good. You could run more, but that gets classified as Speed creep if I'm not wrong.

I'll be sure to mention that in AC, since Ice Shard deals with Garchomp handily at +2 it would only really help for a set running Rapid Spin.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why isn't Shell Smash Cloyster running a Water attack? You're getting walled by Steel-types until kingdom come. While you can safely ignore this if Cloyster is only walled by one or two random threats, Steel-types are EVERYWHERE in Ubers! Right now, Jirachi laughs at you. Steel Arceus laughs at you. Lucario can SORT of take you on. Put Razor Shell on, please. It would actually be pretty bampf with Kyogre support, too.

EDIT: Thanks for picking that up SA

Why isn't Shell Smash Cloyster running a Water attack? You're getting walled by Steel-types until kingdom come. While you can safely ignore this if Cloyster is only walled by one or two random threats, Steel-types are EVERYWHERE in Ubers! Right now, Jirachi laughs at you. Steel Arceus laughs at you. Lucario 4x resists both of your attacks. Put Razor Shell on, please. It would actually be pretty bampf with Kyogre support, too.
Just a nitpick, but Lucario only 2x resists Ice-, because Fighting-types are hit neutrally by it!

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I've seen Cloyster played in Ubers and it's good. Slash Focus Sash on the first set or at least give an AC mention because if used as a lead, it will usually kill at least one Pokemon and usually badly injure a second if it gets a free turn of setup.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
Ok...I tried out Support Cloyster with Trickroom(user), had about 30 battles on the ladder and it performed inconsistently. But on the whole its pretty bad IMO. Cloyster CANNOT take even a mildly powerful special attack. But lets see how Support Cloyster faces off against the most common physical attackers in Ubers.

Offensive Groudon- Does 53.9% - 63.8% to 252/252+ Cloyster with Stone Edge. Cloyster in return does paltry damage with Icicle Spear / gets of one layer of hazards...thus it loses. Groudon also outspeeds.

Zekrom- Jolly LO variants OHKO Cloyster with Bolt Strike and SR.

Terrakion / Lucario / Blaziken- Even unboosted STAB Close Combat / Hi Jump Kick will hurt Cloyster( chance to OHKO with SR). Lucario sets up on Cloyster since it resists everything as does Terrakion, while Blaziken doesnt care and just smacks you with HJK.

Rayquaza- If DD Ray carries Overheat, then its gonna fry it while living a Ice Shard...Else it can Stone Edge(massive chance to KO with SR) while taking an Ice Shard. SD Ray can 2HKO with ExtremeSpeed and the fact whether it lives an Icicle Spear depends on if SR on the field or not. Of Course if Cloyster try to set up spikes on Rayquaza, it can only get off one layer before dying.

BU Dialga- Cloyster sets up on it but cant touch it or force it out.

Extremekiller Arceus- Sets up on you, you can set up Spikes but cant do much else in return. +2 ES 2HKOes.

Add to all this, Cloyster is weak to SR and has poor defensive typing, I think Support Cloyster doesnt deserve its own set. An OO mention would be the best thing IMO.

Uh, no. No investment in Attack only does 52.4% - 62.7% to Rayquaza. It is not even a OHKO with Stealth Rocks up.
Yes, I realize this. I noted in my above post that I messed up on the calcs. What happened was that I accidentally made the calculation with the Shell Smash spread, including LO.

@ barry4ever: After some playtesting, I've noticed that Cloyster best serves as a T-Spiker + Spinner (although I'm sure you're already aware that Ferrothorn pretty much completely outclasses it as a Spiker), and generally Cloyster finds opportunities to set up on support Groudon (which I find to be far more common than offensiveDon because of its ability to deal with SD Arceus) and Ferrothorn, both of which it can get up two layers on. However, Cloyster has not completely lived up to my expectations as a supporter, so if a QC member decides it shouldn't be included I'll be more than happy to remove the support set.

@DetroitLolcat: Focus Sash is probably better off in AC, but I'll test it.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
Hi there !

I previously had tested Support Cloyster but as i posted it didnt work out. Then i saw Theorymon using a Shell Smash Cloyster team and it completely flummoxed me how to stop that darn clam. I got beaten 5-6 times in a row till i used his team against him. Then I decided to try the clam. Since i already saw Cloyster did pretty good with Wobb support (Theorymon), I decided to try Dual Screens. After like 5 days of continous laddering with DS SS Cloyster, I can say its pretty good.

However i do have a few suggestions for the EV set. Atm, Cloyster has .....oh i see you've already fixed it up. Well thats good then. You should probably explain the Spread i.e

With 208 Atk, after a boost Ferrohtorn is safely OHKOed by a Icicle Spear and SR, 244 Spe EVs allow Cloyster to beat Scarf Terrakion and the SpA investment allows Cloyster to do 89.9% - 106.1% to unboosted 252/0 Steelceus in Rain after a boost., thus its a safe ohko with 1 layer of Spikes.

Also, you should at least do the skeleton i.e Set Comments, AC, OO, Counters. Until you do that this is not going to be QC check, i think.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just saying, if you want an OHKO on Steel Arceus with Hydro Pump after a layer of Spikes, you only need 32 SpA EVs (87.84% - 103.38%), not 56.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay after testing this for a while, I can safely say that I approve of Shell Smash Cloyster despite it being hard to set up, mostly because its insanely powerful. Just make sure to mention that it needs either Dual Screen support or Wobbuffet support.

QC APPROVED (2/2)

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm certainly not oafish so here's an unoafish check
omit
add/(comment)
[Overview]

<p>Although mostly outclassed as a supporter by Ferrothorn and Forretress, Cloyster makes for a surprisingly deadly sweeper in Ubers. Its horrendous Special Defense makes it difficult to set up with, but when it does get that Shell Smash off it is incredibly difficult to take down. Cloyster requires a lot of team support to work effectively, but when it has it Cloyster is a monster of a sweeper.</p>

[SET]
name: Ubers Shell Smash
EVs: 232 Atk / 32 SpA / 244 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Cloyster becomes incredibly difficult to wall after a Shell Smash, since it is capable of OHKOing many premier Ubers walls, such as Groudon, Lugia, and Giratina, thanks to its Ice-(space, not hyphen)typing. Icicle Spear is the crux of the set, because with Skill Link it effectively has a Base Power of 125. With rain support from Kyogre, a +2 Hydro Pump can KO many Steel-types who would normally wall Cloyster. Rock Blast provides an immediate OHKO on Ho-oh, and is Cloyster's best method of dealing damage against opposing Kyogre.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is absolutetly absolutely crucial due to the power it provides. The given Speed EVs and a Naive nature guarantee that Cloyster outspeeds Jolly Choice Scarf Terrakion after a Shell Smash. 32 SpA guarantees that a +2 Hydro Pump in the rain will OHKO Steel Arceus after Spikes. The rest of the EVs are dumped into Attack. Rapid Spin is an option over Rock Blast or Hydro Pump, allowing it to clear entry hazards if necessary. It helps that the best spinblocker in Ubers, Giratina-O, cannot switch safely into Cloyster. Another option is Ice Shard, which can be used to revenge kill a +1 Rayquaza. Razor Shell is an option over Hydro Pump, but it misses some noticeable KOs.</p>

<p>Because Cloyster is so specially frail, it is almost mandatory that it has either Dual Screen support or Wobbuffet for a teammate. A layer of Spikes is also crucial for some KOs. Deoxys-S can reliably provide both screens and a layer of Spikes. Ferrothorn and Forretress can both supply Spikes as well, and Forretress can additionally spin away Stealth Rock, which severely hampers Cloyster. Rain support is also needed in order for Hydro Pump to pick up some KOs, so Kyogre should be paired with Cloyster as well.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Hidden Power Fire an be used on the Shell Smash set to nail Ferrothorn, but should really only be considered if Kyogre support can't be managed. Cloyster doesn't really have many options, since Shell Smash is really the only thing it's good at. Cloyster can provide support with Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin, but Forretress outclasses it with this combination. Focus Sash or White Herb can be used to give Cloyster some longevity, but it desperately needs the power a Life Orb provides. A gimmicky Clamp set could be used to get up a lot of entry hazards, but it is iextremely situational, since many Pokemon in the Ubers metagame threaten Cloyster.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bulky Kyogre is perhaps the best counter for Cloyster, sincde it can take anything Cloyster can offer at +2 and OHKO back with even Scald. A physically defensive Ferrothorn can just barely take a +2 Icicle Spear and OHKO with Power Whip. Choice Scarf Darkrai and Shaymin-S can both easily revenge kill Cloyster, although the latter must be wary of Ice Shard. Priority helps deal with Cloyster very well, so Arceus and Rayquaza make very good checks when running Extremespeed. Vacuum Wave users, such as Lucario and Toxicroak, also do a fine job of dealing with Cloyster.</p>

It was so difficult to find errors here. Damn good write up. Small nitpick, but you may want to mention Scizor as a priority revenge killer (i don't know how well it can take Icicle Spear but it's worth looking into).

Scizor's really uncommon atm since Ferrothorn pretty much outclasses it as a Dragon-resist, but then again, I did mention really uncommon stuff like Vacuum Wave so why not.

Thanks for the proofread.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
remove
add

[Overview]

<p>Although mostly outclassed as a supporter by Ferrothorn and Forretress, Cloyster makes for a surprisingly deadly sweeper in Ubers. Its horrendous Special Defense makes it difficult to set up with, but when it does get that Shell Smash off, it is incredibly difficult to take down. Cloyster requires a lot of team support to work effectively, but when it has it Cloyster is a monster of a sweeper.</p>

[SET]
EVs: 232 Atk / 32 SpA / 244 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Cloyster becomes incredibly difficult to wall after a Shell Smash, since it is capable of OHKOing many premier Ubers walls, such as Groudon, Lugia, and Giratina, thanks to its Ice typing powerful Ice-type STAB. Icicle Spear is the crux of the set, because with Skill Link it effectively has a Base Power of 125. With rain support from Kyogre, a +2 Hydro Pump can KO many Steel-types who would normally wall Cloyster. Rock Blast provides obtains an immediate OHKO on Ho-oh, and is Cloyster's best strongest method of dealing damage against to opposing Kyogre.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is absolutely crucial due to the power it provides. The given Speed EVs and a Naive nature guarantee that Cloyster outspeeds Jolly Choice Scarf Terrakion after a Shell Smash. 32 SpA EVs guarantees that a +2 Hydro Pump in the rain will OHKO Steel Arceus after Spikes. The rest of the EVs are dumped into Attack. Rapid Spin is an option over Rock Blast or Hydro Pump, allowing it Cloyster to clear entry hazards if necessary. It helps that the best spinblocker in Ubers, Giratina-O, cannot switch safely into Cloyster. Another option is Ice Shard, which can be used to revenge kill a +1 Rayquaza or Choice Scarf Shaymin-S. Razor Shell is an option over Hydro Pump, but it misses some noticeable KOs.</p>

<p>Because Cloyster is so specially frail, it is almost mandatory that it has to have either Dual Screen support or Wobbuffet for as a teammate. A layer of Spikes is also crucial for some KOs. Deoxys-S can reliably provide both screens and a layer of Spikes. Ferrothorn and Forretress can both supply Spikes as well, and Forretress can additionally also spin away Stealth Rock, which severely hampers Cloyster. Rain support is also needed required in order for Hydro Pump to pick up some KOs, so Kyogre should be paired with Cloyster as well.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Hidden Power Fire an be used on the Shell Smash set to nail Ferrothorn, but should really only be considered if Kyogre support can't be managed. Cloyster doesn't really have many options, since Shell Smash sweeping is the only thing it's good at. Cloyster can provide support with Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin, but Forretress outclasses it with this combination. Focus Sash or White Herb can be used to give Cloyster some longevity, but it desperately needs the power a Life Orb provides. A gimmicky Clamp set could be used to get up a lot of entry hazards, but it is extremely situational, since many Pokemon in the Ubers metagame threaten Cloyster.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bulky Kyogre is perhaps the best counter for Cloyster, since it can take anything Cloyster can offer at +2 and OHKO back with even Scald. A physically defensive Ferrothorn can just barely take a +2 Icicle Spear and OHKO with Power Whip. Choice Scarf Darkrai and Shaymin-S can both easily revenge kill Cloyster, although the latter must be wary of Ice Shard. Priority helps deal with Cloyster very well, so Arceus and Rayquaza make very good checks when running Extremespeed. Scizor is also capable of revenge killing Cloyster after Shell Smash, Stealth Rock, and a few turns of Life Orb recoil. Vacuum Wave users, such as Lucario and Toxicroak, do a fine job of dealing with Cloyster as well.</p>

GP 1/2

Blue = Add
Red = Delete
Bold = Comments

[Overview]

<p>Although mostly outclassed as a supporter by Ferrothorn and Forretress, Cloyster makes for a surprisingly deadly sweeper in Ubers. Its horrendous Special Defense makes it difficult to set up with, but when it does get that Shell Smash off, (comma) it is incredibly difficult to take down (you may wanna change "take down" to "wall" because after SS it's not that hard to take down). Cloyster requires a lot of team support to work effectively, but when it has it Cloyster is a monster of a fearsome sweeper.</p>

[SET]
EVs: evs: 232 Atk / 32 SpA / 244 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Cloyster becomes incredibly difficult to wall (lol) after a Shell Smash, since it is capable of OHKOing many premier Ubers walls, such as Groudon, Lugia, and Giratina, thanks to its powerful Ice-type STAB. Icicle Spear is the crux of the set, because with Skill Link it effectively has a Base Power of 125. With rain support from Kyogre, a +2 Hydro Pump can KO many Steel-types who would normally wall Cloyster. Rock Blast obtains an immediate OHKO on Ho-oh Ho-Oh, and is Cloyster's strongest method of dealing damage to attack against opposing Kyogre.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is absolutely crucial due to the power it provides. A Naive nature with The the given Speed EVs and a Naive nature guarantee that Cloyster outspeeds Jolly Choice Scarf Terrakion after a Shell Smash. 32 SpA EVs guarantee that a +2 Hydro Pump in the rain will OHKO Steel Arceus after one layer of (it would be nice if you mentioned how many layers are needed - I assumed you only need 1) Spikes. The rest of the EVs are dumped into Attack. Rapid Spin is an option over Rock Blast or Hydro Pump, allowing Cloyster to clear entry hazards if necessary. It helps that the best spinblocker in Ubers, Giratina-O, cannot switch safely into Cloyster. Another option is Ice Shard, which can be used to revenge kill a +1 Rayquaza or Shaymin-S. Razor Shell is an option over Hydro Pump, but it misses some noticeable KOs.</p>

<p>Because Cloyster is so specially frail, it is almost mandatory to have either Dual Screen support or Wobbuffet as a teammate. A layer of Spikes is also crucial for some KOs. Deoxys-S can reliably provide both screens and a layer of Spikes. Ferrothorn and Forretress can both supply Spikes as well, and Forretress can also with the latter also being able to spin away Stealth Rock, which severely hampers Cloyster. Rain support is also required for Hydro Pump to pick up some KOs, so Kyogre should be paired with Cloyster as well.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Hidden Power Fire an can be used on the Shell Smash set to nail Ferrothorn, but should really only be considered if Kyogre support can't be managed. Cloyster doesn't really have many options, since Shell Smash sweeping is the only thing it's good at. Cloyster can provide support with Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin, but Forretress outclasses it with this combination. Focus Sash or White Herb can be used to give Cloyster some longevity, but it desperately needs the power a Life Orb provides. A gimmicky Clamp set could be used to get up a lot of entry hazards, but it is extremely situational, since many Pokemon in the Ubers metagame threaten Cloyster.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bulky Kyogre is perhaps the best counter for Cloyster, since it can take anything Cloyster can offer throw at +2 and OHKO back with even Scald. A physically defensive Ferrothorn can just barely take a +2 Icicle Spear and OHKO with Power Whip. Choice Scarf Darkrai and Shaymin-S can both easily revenge kill Cloyster, although the latter must be wary of Ice Shard. Priority helps deal with Cloyster very well, so Arceus and Rayquaza make very good checks when running Extremespeed. Scizor is also capable of revenge killing Cloyster after Shell Smash, Stealth Rock, and a few turns of Life Orb recoil. Vacuum Wave users, such as Lucario and Toxicroak, do a fine job of dealing with Cloyster as well.</p>

GP APPROVED 2/2

No Support Set ?!

Cloyster is one of the unique Pokemon which can run T-Spikes and Rapid Spin.

[SET]
name: Supporting Lead
move 1: Ice Shard
move 3: T-Spikes
move 4: Rapid Spin
item: Focus Sash
nature: adamant
EVs: evs: 252 Atk / 252 Hp / 4 Spe

The Idea is simple, Set up T-Spikes and die, If you see a lead you ll lose just use an other.
At best you ll come back later and Spin one time.
The Set loses to Ghost Arceus and Kyogre and loses to Tentacruel and Forrestes 1on1.

Dont call this Set outclassed by Forry or Tenta. It made me peaked 3 on PO and now 30 on Smogon (on Smogon with almost no afford).
But i never used Forry or Tenta so maybe you guys can compare it better to them.

It was agreed that the support set simply doesn't get enough opportunities to set up safely, and is outclassed by Ferrothorn and Forretress in setting Spikes / T-spikes + Spinning, respectively. At any rate this analysis is done. If you're set on getting that set on site make a separate thread for it and have it go through QC, but I can guarantee it won't make it through it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)