OU Cobalion

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Taken over from Magcargo
With help from Mysteria and TheEnder

QC aim / Valentine / ben gay
GP Winry. / The Dutch Plumberjack

Overview
########
  • Resists 8 types and is weak to only three
  • Versatile
  • Access to Stealth Rock
  • Good Defense
  • Weak to common offensive typing
  • Mediocre offensive stats
Offensive Pivot
########
name: Offensive Pivot
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Volt Switch
move 3: Iron Head
move 4: Taunt / Stealth Rock
ability: Justified
item: Leftovers
evs: 140 HP / 112 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========
  • Close Combat is Cobalion's most powerful STAB move and hits key Pokemon such as Bisharp, Kyurem-B and Tyranitar for super effective damage
  • Iron Head Hits Fairy-types such as Clefable and Mega Gardevoir for solid damage
  • Volt Switch maintains momentum against several of Cobalion's checks and counters
  • Taunt is an excellent move, crippling common switch-ins such as Mew and Skarmory, as well as preventing Pokemon such as Landorus-T from setting up Stealth Rock
  • Stealth Rock can be used in the last slot if nothing else on the team has room to occupy it
  • Thunder Wave can be used to cripple Pokemon which don't mind switching into Cobalion such as Charizard X
  • Hidden Power Ice is for hitting Pokemon such as Gliscor and Landorus which don't mind taking Iron Head or Close Combat

Set Details
========
  • The bulk allows Cobalion to survive an Earthquake from Excadrill
  • The Attack allows Cobalion to OHKO Mega Gardevoir with Iron Head after it takes Stealth Rock damage, 2HKO Ferrothorn and specially defensive Heatran with Close Combat after Stealth Rock damage.
  • Justified is the only ability Cobalion gets and increases Attack by 1 stage when hit by a Dark-type attack
  • Leftovers is so Cobalion gains back some recovery at the end of each turn
  • 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD + Jolly Nature lets Cobalion take one Focus Blast from Timid Mega Gardevoir, while avoiding the 2HKO from LO Latios's HP Fire most of the time. It reaches 277 Speed, which is enough to outspeed Jolly Mega Heracross.

Usage Tips
========
  • Cobalion can is versatile so not revealing what set it is too early in the game can be useful as an element of surprise against opponents
  • Volt Switch can be used to gain momentum but must be cautious of Ground-types such as Gliscor and Landorus
  • Pokemon which are forced to switch out can be useful in allowing Cobalion to get up its Stealth Rocks.
  • Bringing Cobalion in on a predicted Dark-type attack can be useful in the long run since it gets the Justified boost raising its Attack and also resists it.

Team Options
========
  • Landorus-T is an excellent partner, as its able to check Pokemon such as Charizard X, Excadrill, and Garchomp which Cobalion has trouble with. In return, Cobalion is able to remove Bisharp which gives Landorus-T trouble. Both Pokemon also form a solid Volturn core
  • Manetric is a great partner as well, being able to check water-types and forming a Volturn core with Landorus-T and Cobalion
  • Latios keeps Water-types and Fire-types in check while also appreciating Bisharp and Mega Gardevoir removed.
  • Mega-Latias is a good partner as Cobalion can threaten Pokemon which cause problems to it such as Bisharp and Tyranitar; taking them out before being able to sweep.

Other Options
########
  • Swords Dance + 3 Attacks
  • Stone Edge
Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Ground-types**:
  • Gliscor
  • Landorus-T
  • Garchomp
  • Hippowdon
**Bulky Water-types**:
  • Slowbro
  • Starmie
  • Gastrodon
**Bulky Fire-types**:
  • Charizard Y
  • Bulky Charizard X
  • Talonflame
  • Chandelure
**Fast Revenge Killers**:
  • Choice Scarf Heatran
  • Greninja
  • Choice Scarf Keldeo
  • Manectric

Overview
########
Cobalion's niche in OU is being is a great Stealth Rock setter and Volt Switch user that is capable of dealing with Bisharp and Mega Gardevoir. Cobalion has a high Defense and access to attacks such as Stealth Rock and Volt Switch, allowing it to support its team and gain momentum. It's able to take hits due to its Steel / Fighting typing, which gives it eight resistances as well as an immunity to Poison-type attacks. However, Cobalion has mediocre offensive stats that make it difficult for it to damage foes. Although Cobalion is only weak to Fighting-, Fire-, and Ground-type attacks, offensive moves of these types are common and cause problems for Cobalion due to their high Base Power.

Offensive Pivot
########

Moves
========
Close Combat is Cobalion's most powerful STAB attack and hits Pokemon such as Bisharp, Kyurem-B, and Tyranitar for super effective damage. Iron Head is a Steel-type STAB move that hits Fairy-types such as Clefable and Mega Gardevoir for super effective damage. Volt Switch allows Cobalion to gain momentum against several of Cobalion's checks and counters by using it on the turn that they switch in. Taunt is great for crippling common switch-ins such as Mew and Skarmory and preventing Pokemon such as Landorus-T from setting up Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock is useful for damaging Pokemon as they switch in and can be used in the last slot if no other Pokemon on Cobalion's team has room to run it. Thunder Wave can be used to cripple Pokemon that don't mind switching in, such as Mega Charizard X. Hidden Power Ice allows Cobalion to catch Pokemon such as Gliscor and Landorus off guard, which don't mind taking an Iron Head or Close Combat off guard.

Set Details
========
The 140 HP EVs allow Cobalion to survive an Earthquake from Excadrill and take it out with Close Combat. The Attack EVs allow Cobalion to OHKO Mega Gardevoir with Iron Head and 2HKO Ferrothorn and specially defensive Heatran with Close Combat after Stealth Rock damage. Justified is the only ability Cobalion gets and increases its Attack by one stage when it is hit by a Dark-type attack. Leftovers is used to recover some HP at the end of each turn. Cobalion reaches 277 Speed with a Jolly nature, which is enough to outspeed Jolly Mega Heracross. Alternatively, an EV spread of 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD and a Jolly nature can be used, as it lets Cobalion take a Focus Blast from Timid Mega Gardevoir while avoiding a 2HKO from Life Orb Latios's Hidden Power Fire most of the time.

Usage Tips
========
Volt Switch should be used to gain momentum, but be cautious of common Ground-type switch-ins such as Gliscor and Landorus, which don't fear Cobalion's attacks if it isn't running Hidden Power Ice. Use Stealth Rock when Pokemon such as Bisharp and Tyranitar are on the field, as they will likely switch out, not wanting to get OHKOed. Bringing in Cobalion on a predicted Dark-type attack can be useful in the long run for a late-game sweep or cleaning up weakened Pokemon because this raises its Attack via Justified, and while Cobalion takes little damage anyway because of its resistance to Dark-type attacks. Cobalion can be unpredictable with Hidden Power Ice and Thunder Wave, so revealing them too early can throw away the element of surprise against opponents with Landorus, Gliscor, and Mega Charizard X.

Team Options
========
Landorus-T is an excellent partner, as it's able to check Pokemon such as Mega Charizard X, Excadrill, and Garchomp, which don't mind switching in on Cobalion. In return, Cobalion is able to remove Bisharp, which Landorus-T doesn't like switching in on due to Defiant; both Pokemon also form a solid VoltTurn core. Manectric is a great partner as well, being able to check Water-type Pokemon and forming a VoltTurn core with Landorus-T and Cobalion. Latios keeps Water- and Fire-types in check and also appreciates Cobalion's ability to remove Pokemon such as Bisharp and Mega Gardevoir. Psychic-type Pokemon such as Mew and Slowbro also appreciate Cobalion for its ability to deal with Bisharp; Slowbro is also able to cover all of Cobalion's weaknesses by checking Fire- and Ground-type Pokemon and resisting Fighting-type attacks. Mega-Latias is a good partner as Cobalion can threaten Pokemon which cause problems to it such as Bisharp and Tyranitar; taking them out before being able to sweep.

Other Options
########
Swords Dance and three attacks is a possibility, as Cobalion's Defense, Speed, and multiple resistances give it opportunities to set up and proceed to sweep. Stone Edge can be used to hit Pokemon such as Charizard and Talonflame super effectively.

Checks & Counters
########
**Bulky Ground-types**: Bulky Ground-type Pokemon such as Gliscor, Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Hippowdon don't mind switching in against Cobalion and can threaten it out with a STAB Earthquake. If they're predicting the switch, they can also use the chance to set up Stealth Rock; Hippowdon and Gliscor can also use Slack Off and Roost to heal themselves.

**Water-types**: Water-type Pokemon such as Slowbro, Starmie, and Gastrodon can take Iron Head and Close Combat with ease, not to mention they all have access to recovery. Cobalion only has 72 Special Defense, so it doesn't appreciate being hit or crippled by a burn with Scald.

**Fire-types**: Fire-type Pokemon such as Mega Charizard Y, Mega Charizard X, Talonflame, and Chandelure can take Iron Head and Close Combat and retaliate with their STAB Fire-type attacks; however, they have to be wary if they don't know Cobalion's full set, as they do not like being hit by Stone Edge.

**Fast Revenge Killers**: Fast revenge killers such as Choice Scarf Heatran, Greninja, Choice Scarf Keldeo, and Manectric can come in after a teammate has fainted and threaten Cobalion out with their hard-hitting attacks due to Cobalion's mediocre Special Defense. Choice Scarf Heatran can also catch Cobalion off guard if it's played correctly by faking the specially defensive set, as Cobalion will think Heatran is going to switch out.

Last edited:

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I know this is just WIP, but I'll give my two cents on the EV spread and moveset n_n First off, just a minor nitpick, you lack 4 EVs in the current spread, so be sure to fix that. For other EV spreads, 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD with a Jolly Nature lets Cobalion take one Focus Blast from Timid Mega Gardevoir, while avoiding the 2HKO from LO Latios's HP Fire most of the time. It reaches 277 Speed, which is enough to outspeed Jolly Mega Heracross. I'm not saying this spread is surperior in any way, but if your team is in need of a check to Lati@s, it can work. Thunder Wave also deserves a mention, if not a slash, as it is great for crippling a lot fo the Pokemon that likes to switch into Cobalion, like Mega Charizard X. Hidden Power Ice is a cool option on the current set, as it 2HKOs Landorus and Landorus-T. I'm not QC, so take these suggestions with a grain of salt, but this is all food for thought n_n

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I was gonna said add hp ice and twave but i see they are already added. Nice call theender. 1/3 i'll come back when i have more time to leave some more comments

Valentine

Banned deucer.
2/3

people use this in combination with mega latias to switch in to darks like bisharp and tyranitar that need to be taken care of before you can sweep with stored power. anyways, mentioned mega latias in team options. you already have latios, but i think i see a lot more cobalion with mega latias. i don't think i'd ever use this pokemon but yup.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
2/3

people use this in combination with mega latias to switch in to darks like bisharp and tyranitar that need to be taken care of before you can sweep with stored power. anyways, mentioned mega latias in team options. you already have latios, but i think i see a lot more cobalion with mega latias. i don't think i'd ever use this pokemon but yup.
wait is this for oras ?_? i thought we awaited all of those till post-mence meta.

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
wait is this for oras ?_? i thought we awaited all of those till post-mence meta.
I took out the Mega Latias out of the write-up but its still in the skeleton in the hide since I thought it was too and the skeleton was started post-mence but if the final QC adds comments on it I guess its quite simple to change it back (:

can I get all three checks in one day...lets see
done it twice it's a great feeling

Anyways I think the first line of the entire analysis just kinda dismisses the entire reason to use Cobalion. For one, it's not exactly a /verstatile/ mon. There's only one set, and it really just holds the niche of countering Bisharp and Gardevoir while also being a very reliable Stealth Rock setter/Volt Switcher due to its set of great/common resistances i.e. you really won't find it running a Swords Dance or Calm Mind set or 3 Attacks + Stealth Rock, just the pivot set usually. Also, Cobalion has base 90 Special Attack and Attack, not 80 :p but even then, you gave it such as significant mention and then contradicted it later with a line that stated it had mediocre offensive stats, you should probably clear that up though x_x. I also think in Usage Tips you should remove the other 'verstatile so the opponent doesn't know what it'll do' mention, because 99% of the time someone competent is facing a Cobalion, he/she probably will know what it's going to do.

I think that's all though, this analysis is really well done n_n

edit: perhaps in c&c you could remove how it has mediocre special defense, it has base 108 special defense and the given spread lets it survive Mega Gardevoir's Hyper Voice :o

Darnell

Respected.
done it twice it's a great feeling

Anyways I think the first line of the entire analysis just kinda dismisses the entire reason to use Cobalion. For one, it's not exactly a /verstatile/ mon. There's only one set, and it really just holds the niche of countering Bisharp and Gardevoir while also being a very reliable Stealth Rock setter/Volt Switcher due to its set of great/common resistances i.e. you really won't find it running a Swords Dance or Calm Mind set or 3 Attacks + Stealth Rock, just the pivot set usually. Also, Cobalion has base 90 Special Attack and Attack, not 80 :p but even then, you gave it such as significant mention and then contradicted it later with a line that stated it had mediocre offensive stats, you should probably clear that up though x_x. I also think in Usage Tips you should remove the other 'verstatile so the opponent doesn't know what it'll do' mention, because 99% of the time someone competent is facing a Cobalion, he/she probably will know what it's going to do.

I think that's all though, this analysis is really well done n_n

edit: perhaps in c&c you could remove how it has mediocre special defense, it has base 108 special defense and the given spread lets it survive Mega Gardevoir's Hyper Voice :o
Its SpD is 72 o_o Think you're looking at Speed but I did make changes and changed the UT to mentioning not revealing Hidden Power Ice/Thunder Wave too early if it is running it.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add / Remove
Overview
########
Cobalion's niche in OU is being is a great Stealth Rock setter and Volt Switch user with a niche of being able to that is capable of dealing with Bisharp and Mega Gardevoir. Cobalion has a high Defense and access to attacks such as Stealth Rock and Volt Switch, (AC) allowing it to support its for supporting the team and gaining gain momentum. It's able to take hits due to its Steel / Fighting typing, (AC) which gives it resistances to resisting Bug-, Dark-, Dragon-, Grass-, Ice-, Normal-, Rock-, and Steel-types attacks and while also having an immunity to Poison-types too attacks. There are a few negative points about Cobalion However;, (semi -> comma) first of all, (RC) it Cobalion has mediocre offensive stats that make it difficult for it to damage foes therefore not allowing it to damage opponents hard. Although Cobalion is only weak to Fighting-, Fire-, and Ground-type attacks, offensive moves of these types those three typing's are commonly offensive and can cause problems for Cobalion due to their with their high Base Power attacks.

Offensive Pivot
########

Moves
========
Close Combat is Cobalion's most powerful STAB attack and hits Pokemon such as Bisharp, Kyurem-B, (AC) and Tyranitar for super effective damage. Iron Head is a Steel-type STAB move which hits Fairy-types such as Clefable and Mega Gardevoir for super effective damage. Volt Switch allows Cobalion to gain momentum against several of Cobalion's checks and counters by using it on the turn that they switch in. Taunt is great for crippling common switch-ins such as Mew and Skarmory, (RC) as well as taking the risk of staying in and preventing Pokemon such as Landorus-T from setting up Stealth Rock before switching. Stealth Rock is useful for damaging Pokemon as they switch in and can be used in the last slot of if no other Pokemon on Cobalion's team has room to run it nothing else on the team has room to occupy it to damage Pokemon when switching in. Thunder Wave can be used to cripple Pokemon such as Mega-Charizard X which that don't mind switching in. Hidden Power Ice allows Cobalion to catch opposing the opposing Pokemon such as Gliscor and Landorus off guard which that don't mind taking an Iron Head or Close Combat off guard.

Set Details
========
The bulk invested 140 HP EVs (better to be specific when possible) allows Cobalion to survive an Earthquake from Excadrill which is always nice before taking and take it out with Close Combat. The Attack EVs allow Cobalion to OHKO Mega Gardevoir with Iron Head, (RC) and 2HKO Ferrothorn and specially defensive Heatran with Close Combat after Stealth Rock damage. Justified is the only ability Cobalion gets and increases its Attack by 1 stage when it is hit by a Dark-type attack. Leftovers is used to so Cobalion gains back some recovery some HP at the end of each turn. Cobalion reaches 277 Speed with Jolly, (AC) which is enough to outspeed Jolly Mega Heracross. (Something that is already on the set should go before any alternatives you mention) Alternatively, (AC) an EV spread of 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD and Jolly nature can be used, (AC) as it which lets Cobalion take a Focus Blast from Timid Mega Gardevoir, (RC) while avoiding a 2HKO from Life Orb Latios's HP Hidden Power Fire most of the time. Cobalion reaches a Speed of 277 with Jolly which is enough to outspeed Jolly Mega Heracross.

Usage Tips
========
Cobalion can be unpredictable with Hidden Power Ice and Thunder Wave, (AC) so revealing them too early can throw away the element of surprise against opponents with Landorus, (AC) and Gliscor, and Mega- (remove hyphen) Charizard X. Volt Switch is to should be used to gain momentum, (AC) but be cautious of common Ground-type switch-ins such as Gliscor and Landorus, (AC) which don't fear Cobalion's attacks if it isn't running Hidden Power Ice. Use Stealth Rock when Pokemon such as Bisharp and Tyranitar are on the field, as they will likely which are forced to switch out, not wanting to get OHKOed such as Bisharp and Tyranitar can provide a useful opportunity in getting up Stealth Rock. Bringing in Cobalion on a predicted Dark-type attack can be useful in the long run for a late-game sweep or cleaning up weakened Pokemon because since it gets the Justified boost, (AC) which raises raising its Attack, (AC) and takes little damage because of its resistance to Dark-type also resisting the attacks.

Team Options
========
Landorus-T is an excellent partner, as it's (add apostrophe) able to check Pokemon such as Mega- (remove hyphen) Charizard X, Excadrill, and Garchomp which all that don't mind switching in on Cobalion. In return, Cobalion is able to remove Bisharp, (AC) which Landorus-T doesn't like switching in on due to Defiant.; (period -> semi) both Pokemon also form a solid VoltTurn core. Manectric is a great partner as well, being able to check Water-type Pokemon and forming a VoltTurn core with Landorus-T and Cobalion. Latios keeps Water- and Fire-types in check while and also appreciating appreciates that Cobalion removing can remove Pokemon such as Bisharp and Mega Gardevoir. Psychic-type Pokemon such as Mew and Slowbro also appreciate Cobalion as it can for its ability to deal with Bisharp; Slowbro is also able to cover all of Cobalion's weaknesses by checking Fire- and Ground-type Pokemon while also and resisting Fighting-type attacks, (RC) all of Cobalion's weaknesses. (sounded a bit awkward)

Other Options
########
Running Swords Dance and 3 three attacks can be used, (AC) as Cobalion's Defense, Speed, and multiple resistances give it opportunities to set up and proceed to sweep. Stone Edge can be used for Cobalion to hit Pokemon such as Charizard and Talonflame super effectively.

Checks & Counters
########
**Bulky Ground-types**: Bulky Ground-type Pokemon such as Gliscor, Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Hippowdon don't mind switching in against Cobalion and threatening it out with a STAB Earthquake. If they're predicting the switch, they can also use the chance to get set up Stealth Rock; Hippowdon and Gliscor can also use Slack Off and Roost to heal themselves away the damage.

**Water-types**: Water-type Pokemon such as Slowbro, Starmie, and Gastrodon can take Iron Head and Close Combat with ease, not to mention they all have access to recovery. Cobalion only has 72 Special Defense, (AC) so it doesn't appreciate being hits or being crippled by a burn with Scald.

**Fire-types**: Fire-type Pokemon such as Mega Charizard-Y, Mega Charizard-X, Talonflame, (AC) and Chandelure can take a Iron Head and Close Combat and retaliate with their STAB Fire-type attacks; (semicolon) however, (AC) they're have to be wary if at a risk of switching in if they don't know Cobalion's full, (AC) as they do not like being hit by set due to it having access to Stone Edge.

**Fast Revenge Killers**: Fast revenge killers such as Choice Scarf Heatran, Greninja, Choice Scarf Keldeo, (AC) and Manectric can come in after a teammate has fainted and threaten Cobalion out with their hard-hitting (hyphen) attacks due to Cobalion's mediocre Special Defense. Choice Scarf Heatran can also catch Cobalion off guard if it's played correctly, (RC) by faking the specially defensive set, (AC) as Cobalion will think Heatran is going to switch out instead and making thinking Cobalion can threaten it out.

1/2

Last edited:

Darnell

Respected.
Implemented, thanks Winry n_n

There was just the part about

**Fire-types**: Fire-type Pokemon such as Mega Charizard-Y, Mega Charizard-X, Talonflame, (AC) and Chandelure can take a Iron Head and Close Combat and retaliate with their STAB Fire-type attacks; (semicolon) however, (AC) they're have to be wary if at a risk of switching in if they don't know Cobalion's full, (AC) as they do not like being hit by set due to it having access to Stone Edge.
I added 'set' onto the end of that before the comma :o Hope that's alright

Ready for the next check :)

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize)

(comments)
Overview
########
Cobalion's niche in OU is being is a great Stealth Rock setter and Volt Switch user that is capable of dealing with Bisharp and Mega Gardevoir. Cobalion's access to these attacks Cobalion has a alongside its high Defense and access to attacks such as Stealth Rock and Volt Switch, allowing allows (doesn't make much sense to mention that it has access to those moves if you mention in the previous sentence that those moves constitute its niche) it to support its team and gain momentum. It's able to take hits due to its Steel / Fighting typing, which gives it eight (no need to be this specific, especially if there isn't one that really sticks out, which seems to be the case) resistances to Bug-, Dark-, Dragon-, Grass-, Ice-, Normal-, Rock-, and Steel-type attacks and as well as an immunity to Poison-type attacks. However, Cobalion has mediocre offensive stats that make it difficult for it to damage foes. Although Cobalion is only weak to Fighting-, Fire-, and Ground-type attacks, offensive moves of these types are common and cause problems for Cobalion due to their high Base Power.

Offensive Pivot
########

Moves
========
Close Combat is Cobalion's most powerful STAB attack and hits Pokemon such as Bisharp, Kyurem-B, and Tyranitar for super effective damage. Iron Head is a Steel-type STAB move which that hits Fairy-types such as Clefable and Mega Gardevoir for super effective damage. Volt Switch allows Cobalion to gain momentum against several of Cobalion's checks and counters by using it on the turn that they switch in. Taunt is great for crippling common switch-ins such as Mew and Skarmory and preventing Pokemon such as Landorus-T from setting up Stealth Rock before switching. Stealth Rock is useful for damaging Pokemon as they switch in and can be used in the last slot if no other Pokemon on Cobalion's team has room to run it. Thunder Wave can be used to cripple Pokemon that don't mind switching in, (flows quite badly if you put examples in the middle of a category description) such as Mega-Charizard Mega Charizard X that don't mind switching in. Hidden Power Ice allows Cobalion to catch Pokemon such as Gliscor and Landorus off guard, which that don't mind taking an Iron Head or Close Combat off guard.

Set Details
========
The 140 HP EVs allow Cobalion to survive an Earthquake from Excadrill and take it out with Close Combat. The Attack EVs allow Cobalion to OHKO Mega Gardevoir with Iron Head and 2HKO Ferrothorn and specially defensive Heatran with Close Combat after Stealth Rock damage. Justified is the only ability Cobalion gets and increases its Attack by 1 one (spell out numbers under 20, unless they're statistics or EV spreads or whatever) stage when it is hit by a Dark-type attack. Leftovers is used to recover some HP at the end of each turn. Cobalion reaches 277 Speed with a Jolly nature, which is enough to outspeed Jolly Mega Heracross. Alternatively, an EV spread of 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD and a Jolly nature can be used, as it lets Cobalion take a Focus Blast from Timid Mega Gardevoir while avoiding a 2HKO from Life Orb Latios' Latios's Hidden Power Fire most of the time.

Usage Tips
========
Cobalion can be unpredictable with Hidden Power Ice and Thunder Wave, so revealing them too early can throw away the element of surprise against opponents with Landorus, Gliscor, and Mega Charizard X. (usage tips regarding alternate moves. so makes more sense not to put them all the way up front) Volt Switch should be used to gain momentum, but be cautious of common Ground-type switch-ins such as Gliscor and Landorus, which don't fear Cobalion's attacks if it isn't running Hidden Power Ice. Use Stealth Rock when Pokemon such as Bisharp and Tyranitar are on the field, as they will likely switch out, not wanting to get OHKOed. Bringing in Cobalion on a predicted Dark-type attack can be useful in the long run for a late-game sweep or cleaning up weakened Pokemon because it gets the Justified boost, which this raises its Attack via Justified, and while Cobalion takes little damage anyway because of its resistance to Dark-type attacks. Cobalion can be unpredictable with Hidden Power Ice and Thunder Wave, so revealing them too early can throw away the element of surprise against opponents with Landorus, Gliscor, and Mega Charizard X.

Team Options
========
Landorus-T is an excellent partner, as it's able to check Pokemon such as Mega Charizard X, Excadrill, and Garchomp, (AC) that which don't mind switching in on Cobalion. In return, Cobalion is able to remove Bisharp, which Landorus-T doesn't like switching in on due to Defiant; both Pokemon also form a solid VoltTurn core. Manectric is a great partner as well, being able to check Water-type Pokemon and forming a VoltTurn core with Landorus-T and Cobalion. Latios keeps Water- and Fire-types in check and also appreciates that Cobalion can Cobalion's ability to remove Pokemon such as Bisharp and Mega Gardevoir. Psychic-type Pokemon such as Mew and Slowbro also appreciate Cobalion for its ability to deal with Bisharp; Slowbro is also able to cover all of Cobalion's weaknesses by checking Fire- and Ground-type Pokemon and resisting Fighting-type attacks.

Other Options
########
Running Swords Dance and three attacks can be used is a possibility, (you don't use 'running...', this is one of several possible fixes) as Cobalion's Defense, Speed, and multiple resistances give it opportunities to set up and proceed to sweep. Stone Edge can be used to hit Pokemon such as Charizard and Talonflame super effectively.

Checks & Counters
########
**Bulky Ground-types**: Bulky Ground-type Pokemon such as Gliscor, Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Hippowdon don't mind switching in against Cobalion and threatening can threaten it out with a STAB Earthquake. If they're predicting the switch, they can also use the chance to set up Stealth Rock; Hippowdon and Gliscor can also use Slack Off and Roost to heal themselves.

**Water-types**: Water-type Pokemon such as Slowbro, Starmie, and Gastrodon can take Iron Head and Close Combat with ease, not to mention they all have access to recovery. Cobalion only has 72 Special Defense, so it doesn't appreciate being hit or crippled by a burn with Scald.

**Fire-types**: Fire-type Pokemon such as Mega Charizard-Y Charizard Y, Mega Charizard-X Charizard X, Talonflame, and Chandelure can take Iron Head and Close Combat and retaliate with their STAB Fire-type attacks; however, they have to be wary if they don't know Cobalion's full set, as they do not like being hit by Stone Edge.

**Fast Revenge Killers**: Fast revenge killers such as Choice Scarf Heatran, Greninja, Choice Scarf Keldeo, and Manectric can come in after a teammate has fainted and threaten Cobalion out with their hard-hitting attacks due to Cobalion's mediocre Special Defense. Choice Scarf Heatran can also catch Cobalion off guard if it's played correctly by faking the specially defensive set, as Cobalion will think Heatran is going to switch out.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)