Cofagrigus [Analysis] (QC: 2/3)

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
  • Acts as a standalone Trick Room sweeper, despite its stats leaning more towards the defensive side
  • Typing, ability, and Defense allows it to set up against a handful of threats in OU, most notably Jirachi and Forretress
  • Great coverage with just two moves, which lets Cofagrigus devote its other moveslots to setup moves, unlike Reuniclus, who faces 4MSS
  • Outclassed in all other roles by Jellicent, Sableye, and Gengar, making it predictable and easy to stop with good prediction. It does have the advantage of being able to spinblock and sweep over the first two
  • Extremely niche Pokemon; should only be used if you desire a spinblocker for Trick Room teams
  • Not all that powerful, even after a boost, and despite having Hidden Power Fighting, it still struggles with Steel-types
  • Reuniclus is a better option if you desire more power while still having good enough bulk to set up with
  • Special bulk can easily be preyed upon by strong special attackers such as Keldeo and Heatran
  • Low HP also hinders bulk and setup capabilities
[SET]
name: Offensive Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Nasty Plot
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting
item: Fighting Gem / Leftovers
nature: Quiet
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
ivs: 2 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 2 Spe (This was copied from Cofag's UU analysis, but is needed in OU as well as it gives a max power HP Fighting as well as allowing Cofag to be as slow as possible.)

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Only thing Cofagrigus does well in OU, although it's surprisingly effective
  • Can set up Trick Room in the face of spinners such as Donphan and Forretress
  • Nasty Plot provides it with a much-needed Special Attack boost, letting it get some important KOs such as that on Jellicent
  • Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting grant nearly unresisted coverage in the entire tier. The moves' typing also complement one another
  • Here are a few calcs to portray the power of Fighting Gem-boosted Hidden Power Fighting:
+2 252+ SpA Fighting Gem Cofagrigus Hidden Power Fighting vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 388-460 (96.03 - 113.86%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ SpA Fighting Gem CofagrigusHidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion in sand: 294-346 (91.02 - 107.12%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ SpA Fighting Gem Cofagrigus Hidden Power Fighting vs. 224 HP / 32 SpD Skarmory: 258-304 (78.89 - 92.96%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ SpA Fighting Gem Cofagrigus Hidden Power Fighting vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 306-362 (86.93 - 102.84%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ SpA Fighting Gem Cofagrigus Hidden Power Fighting vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Forretress: 303-357 (85.59 - 100.84%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

• Note that Cofagrigus should be used on bulky offensive teams as a standalone sweeper, but can also fit into dedicated Trick Room teams by providing Trick Room + good offensive presence + spinblocking abilities
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Quiet nature + the listed EVs make Cofagrigus as slow as possible while also ensuring that Hidden Power Fighting has the max Base Power of 70
  • 2 Atk IVs are used to minimize confusion and Foul Play damage
  • Leftovers can be used instead to give Cofagrigus more longevity, but the KOs Fighting Gem gets are sometimes more important
  • Entry hazard support is absolutely mandatory, as it allows Cofagrigus to get the OHKOs shown in the calcs above as well as an OHKO on Celebi (75% of the time) and Dragonite with Shadow Ball
  • Cofagrigus pairs well with Fighting-type wallbreakers such as Keldeo and Terrakion, as they complement Cofagrigus's typing while also taking down pesky walls such as Blissey and Tyranitar
  • Because Cofagrigus struggles with Steek-types, Magnezone is a great partner; furthermore, Magnezone also benefits from the Trick Room that Cofagrigus sets
  • While not recommend as they're gimmicky, full Trick Room teams utilize Cofarigus in the way it can set up Trick Room if it runs out while continuously boosting with Nasty Plot and providing a good offensive presence
  • Other useful Pokemon on Trick Room teams would be Reuniclus, Heatran, and Conkeldurr
[Other Options]
  • A defensive set consisting of Will-O-Wisp, Shadow Ball, Pain Split, and Haze seems like a great option, but it is outclassed by the likes of Sableye and Jellicent, as they offer more typing synergy to a team while also having reliable recovery
  • Calm Mind also seems like a good option on paper, but it's generally outclassed by Trick Room + Nasty Plot, as both take about the same time to set up, but the latter has a higher output while still evading specially offensive revenge killers
  • Curse, Will-O-Wisp, Destiny Bond, Safeguard, Swagger, Disable, and Haze are some support moves Cofagrigus can run, but they're either too gimmicky to be used or are better used by other Pokemon
  • A Choice Specs set can be run to function as an immediately powerful tank, but Jellicent outclasses Cofagrigus in this role as well
[Checks and Counters]
  • Offensive momentum is very necessary to avoid letting Cofagrigus get any boosts
  • Special attackers that can hit it hard are good options (Gengar and Hydreigon come to mind), but will be crippled for a few turns if they rely on Speed and Cofagrigus manages to set up Trick Room
  • Calm Mind users that aren't hit super effectively, such as Meloetta and Suicune, can outlast Cofagrigus and come out of the battle alive, usually at +6. Furthermore, if Cofagrigus's Trick Room is up when it goes down, then Meloetta and Suicune can't even get revenge killed by opposing revenge killers
  • Sucker Punch can bypass Trick Room while hitting Cofagrigus super effectively, but the only viable user of the move is Toxicroak, who only 2HKOes Cofagrigus while it OHKOes back
  • Blissey walls it fairly well, as it is only 4HKOed by a boosted Hidden Power Fighting, and even that doesn't always happen. Blissey can then proceed to Wish stall it with Toxic
  • Once again, offensive momentum needs to be kept on your side, or something is going down

Last edited:

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oooh, yeah. Cofagrigus. I tested it out for a couple'a days, and it did alright, since it's a competent little thing that does great against several teams. The Offensive Trick room set is pretty clear-cut-out too, so I'm willing to give my support for it later.

One thing I would at least put in AC is the Fighting Gem. While you lack the passive recovery of Leftovers, after +2, Cofagrigus is pretty much guaranteed to OHKO all variants of Tyranitar in Sandstorm so it doesn't have to eat a Crunch. It also kills Terrakion in sandstorm, as well as physically defensive Skarmory, both after Stealth Rock damage, so they can't damage you heavilly or phaze you out easily, respectively. Remember! This is sort of specialized imo, which is why it's AC for now.

Also mention that Cofagrigus absolutely requires entry hazards if it wants to sweep effectively. Even after +2, Shadow Ball can't quite OHKO specially defensive Celebi, but it has a 75% chance to do so with just Stealth Rock. Same also goes for Pokemon like Dragonite and the Pokemon mentioned above with Fighting Gem.

Last edited:

Arkian

is a Contributor Alumnus
@AccidentalGreed I made the changes :D but I feel like an idiot for forgetting hazards.....

May I have a check, or are there more changes to be made?

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think it's important to mention that Cofagrigus is one of the few Pokémon that can spin block AND sweep, so make sure you mention that as an advantage it has over Jellicent and Sableye. Also, Mummy is a really cool ability that makes Cofagrigus an excellent counter to Scizor (which you mentioned), Conkeldurr, Toxicroak, and other physical attackers that have abilities that help it sweep. So hype Mummy as well.

AccidentalGreed

@AccidentalGreed I made the changes :D but I feel like an idiot for forgetting hazards.....

May I have a check, or are there more changes to be made?
Yeah, not yet. Just wait until the QC members talk this one out, and when they have a good idea of how to use this thing.

EDIT: also put Ferrothorn in the list of Fighting Gem targets, since Fighting Gem +2 HP Fighting deals 86.93 - 102.84% to the standard set, which is freaking awesome if you have Stealth Rock or Spikes to help push the KO

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
quiet, not quite. and (Analysis), not (Revamp). the original analysis was bad and removed a long time ago.

I want to talk with some other qc guys about this, and will give it an approval speedily after doing so

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Couple of things:
-Cofagrigus does not set up on a wide variety of threats, it sets up on a handful of Pokemon in OU at most.
-Mummy doesn't need to be mentioned in the overview. It's a decent ability, but hardly something that deserves specific mention.
-You need to emphasize how weak Cofagrigus is. It struggles against a lot of Steel-types, so it might be a good idea to mention Magnezone as a partner.
-It's a sweeper not a wallbreaker.
Cofagrigus comes in on a physical attacker such as Scizor, sets up Nasty Plot as said physical attacker fails to do much, sets up Trick Room as the offender switches out, and proceeds to sweep, or at a lower extent blow holes, in the opposing team
This is flat out wrong. Cofagrigus cannot come in against Scizor and expect to force it out. CB Bullet Punch deals (36.99 - 43.57%) on the first hit, and (24.45 - 29.15%) for every subsequent hit after technician is lost. SD sets can beat down Cofagrigus is even faster, and set up on it without any sort of resistance from Cofagrigus's.

Remember, Cofagrigus is a niche Pokemon in OU. It's pretty much only used because its a TR sweeper that can spinblock, you need to emphasize that.

AccidentalGreed

Hi, so:

Just do what PK tells you to do, and after brief discussion with the other QC members, we decided that Cofag should have Fighting Gem slashed next to Leftovers. Be sure to make a list of KOes/calculations that Fighting Gem achieves as well so people know how good it lures in Steel-types.

Once you make the changes, I'll give my approval!

AccidentalGreed

Oh what happened to Leftovers? Fighting Gem couldn't possibly be better than it haha (even tho it's my preferred item)~

Just put it back in, and consider this

QC APPROVED 1/3

(PS. whether it's the first or second slash, I don't mind~)

Last edited:

Arkian

is a Contributor Alumnus
Done, I've asked @alexwolf to reassign this since I'm quitting Smogon. Thanks to everyone for everything, and I wish this site (and this analysis) good luck for the future!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)