Cofagrigus (Analysis)

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Cofagrigus

--------------------

[Overview]

<p>Cofagrigus is quite possibly the epitome of a defensive spinblocker, thanks to its great defensive stats and Ghost typing. Unfortunately, these assets may not be enough to let it keep up with the extremely offensive metagame of the new generation. The main reason why people may shy away from Cofagrigus is simply the intense competition for a team slot; Jellicent, for example, which can also block Rapid Spin with its Ghost typing, possesses many more resistances thanks to secondary Water typing. A shallow movepool also lets Cofagrigus down quite a bit, so its standard support set doesn't have many options, aside from Haze, to use as a filler move. Finally, with Rapid Spin becoming less and less common, Cofagrigus's primary role is slowly becoming less and less important.</p>

<p>However, despite all these setbacks, Cofagrigus still has its merits. 58/145/105 defenses are great, giving Cofagrigus the ability to wall entire teams once certain threats have been removed. Being the sole fully-evolved Pokemon with the Mummy ability helps as well, allowing Cofagrigus to fare well against certain threats such as Conkeldurr, Scizor, and Breloom. Cofagrigus's usefulness doesn't end there, though; access to Calm Mind allows it to go on the offensive and rip apart unprepared teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulky Ghost
move 1: Rest
move 2: Haze
move 3: Shadow Ball / Hex
move 4: Will-O-Wisp
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SDef

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This standard bulky set takes advantage of Cofagrigus's natural bulk in order to serve as a defensive pivot and team supporter. In addition to being the second bulkiest Ghost-type (after Evolite Stone Dusclops), Cofagrigus has a more than passable Special Attack stat, which can ward off frail attackers, and a useful ability in Mummy, which allows Cofagrigus to fare well against certain Pokemon that are dependent on their abilities. Shadow Ball is Cofagrigus's main attacking option, as it gets STAB and has a consistent Base Power. Will-O-Wisp allows Cofagrigus to cripple physical attackers while slowly whittling away their HP at the same time. Haze is largely a filler option, but can be a life saver when going up against defensive stat-boosting Pokemon such as Wish Calm Mind Jirachi and Curse Snorlax.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>After HP is maximized in order to gain as much overall bulk as possible, the EVs are focused primarily on Cofagrigus's Defense so that it can take physical attacks as well as possible. However, if you so choose, some Defense EVs can be shifted to Special Defense to let Cofagrigus take on special attackers more easily. The EV spread and nature given provide a good mix of physical and special bulk, but they can be tweaked to fit your team’s needs.</p>

<p>Hex is an option over Shadow Ball, as if the target is afflicted with a status condition, Hex will hit with 100 Base Power. However, this relies on the target already being burned, while Shadow Ball has a consistent Base Power regardless of the foe's status condition. Shadow Ball also has the chance to decrease Special Defense, while Hex does not. Similarly, Curse is an option over Haze as a more offensive method of dealing with stat-boosting Pokemon. However, this comes at the cost of 50% of Cofagrigus's HP, which Cofagrigus is not always able or willing to sacrifice.</p>

<p>As mentioned, Cofagrigus faces lots of competition for a team slot from Jellicent and Evolite Dusclops. If you choose to use Cofagrigus over these similar Pokemon, it should be for Cofagrigus's strengths - namely its better Special Attack and ability to deal with Conkeldurr more effectively. Haze is also a useful advantage over other Ghost-types, despite being primarily a filler option.</p>

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Hidden Power Fighting / Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Rest / Will-O-Wisp
item: Leftovers / Chesto Berry
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to its enormous Defense, Cofagrigus is a very effective user of Calm Mind, as the Special Defense boosts make it extremely difficult to kill without powerful super effective attacks or critical hits. After several Calm Minds, Cofagrigus is practically ready to sweep; Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting give perfect neutral coverage, allowing Cofagrigus to OHKO or 2HKO nearly all opposing Pokemon after a few boosts. Rest is then used to restore Cofagrigus to tiptop condition once it is running low on HP, as it has no other means of recovery (outside of Leftovers).</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While Leftovers is good for reliable recovery, Chesto Berry is a decent alternative, as it allows Cofagrigus to wake up immediately after its first use of Rest to further accumulate Calm Minds. Will-O-Wisp may be used over either Hidden Power Fighting or Rest; however, if you use it over the former, Cofagrigus will be walled by Normal-types, and if you use it over the latter, Cofagrigus will lack a reliable form of recovery outside of Leftovers. Even still, Will-O-Wisp often allows Cofagrigus an easier time setting up against numerous threats, such as Excadrill, Garchomp, Landorus, Terrakion, and Tyranitar. It should also be noted that a Calm Mind Cofagrigus is most effective once it is your last remaining Pokemon, as then it can no longer be forced out by Roar or Whirlwind, which would otherwise eliminate all of Cofagrigus's accumulated Calm Mind boosts.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Cofagrigus is more than capable of setting up Trick Room; however, Evolite Dusclops is usually better in this regard, as it can make use of Pain Split well due to its low base HP and does not have to waste Trick Room turns waking up from Rest. However, an offensive Nasty Plot Trick Room set can be useful if you are in need of an offensive Ghost-type Trick Room user. Unfortunately, when it comes to making use of Nasty Plot, its utility is limited to Trick Room, as Cofagrigus is otherwise better off with Calm Mind.</p>

<p>As a more gimmicky strategy, Cofagrigus can be paired with Slaking. Cofagrigus can turn a foe's ability into Mummy before switching out, allowing Slaking to remove Truant by using Pursuit on the opponent. However, this strategy is risky at best and even if it is pulled off successfully, Slaking may not pull off a sweep anyway.</p>

[Counters and Checks]

<p>When it comes to playing against Cofagrigus, Pokemonwith STAB Dark- and Ghost-type moves are recommended. Tyranitar and Scrafty are good examples of this, as they can hit Cofagrigus hard with a powerful Crunch, but they must be wary of Will-O-Wisp. Most Pokemon with Taunt that are not weak to Shadow Ball will also usually win one-on-one against Cofagrigus. Trick and Encore users will make Cofagrigus's life difficult, as Cofagrigus often relies on outstalling its opponent, which it cannot do when limited to one move. If Cofagrigus is not running Curse or Haze, Pokemon such as CurseLax and CroCune can set up all over Cofagrigus. Finally, specially-based sweepers that do not care for Will-O-Wisp such as Nasty Plot Lucario and Nasty Plot Zoroark can set up in Cofagrigus's face.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Cofagrigus doesn't have a Dream World ability.</p>

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Desukan doesn't actually learn Sleep Talk - it isn't a TM anymore. :(

The thing doesn't get Pain Split either. Yikes.

Okay, fixed some formatting (use only one sprite please, no spam sprites) and marked as done. Also, the Pokemon's name is Desukaan.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
I'd say Evil Eye should be the main attacking option on Desukaan or at least slashed alongside Shadow Ball. All you have to do is burn your opponent with Will-O-Wisp to make Evil Eye a 100 base power move. I see Evil Eye much more than Shadow Ball whenever I run into this Ghost-type, and I believe that it's the preferred choice. So, unless I'm missing something, Evil Eye isn't "much less reliable than Shadow Ball" like you state. I am also skeptical of Curse on the 'Bulky Ghost' set. Calm Mind / Curse users (Suicune and Snorlax, the ones you mention) aren't really common, so I'd suggest shifting down its mention to Additional Comments.

That's all I have to say; everything else looks fine.

QC APPROVED (1/2)

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Adjusted the set to adhere to Bloo's suggestions; I re-reserved this since I may as well now that its QC approved.

Desukaan

[SET]
name: Bulky Ghost
move 1: Rest
move 2: Haze
move 3: Shadow Ball / Evil Eye
move 4: Will-O-Wisp
item: Leftovers / Rugged Helm
evs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SDef
I'm not sure if it's worth the recovery lost, but something gets Mummy and some damage. Yes please. Although Leftovers will stay if you team it with Slaking or prefer defense than offense.

I think Desukaan should get a Trick Room set because it can easily use it to go on the offensive with Nasty Plot, and its defenses means that it won't be easily beaten.

Delta 2777

Machampion
Bump, I believe this is ready to be GP checked.

(I put Trick Room NP in Optional Changes; if enough people believe it deserves its own set I'll make the necessary changes)

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
i shall check this negro sometime in the near future perhaps

One little trick that Desukaan shares with Rankurusu and Slowbro/king: it's so slow that Payback will almost never have increased damage against it.

It may be a bit late for this but isnt Power Share worth a shot? Ive heard a lot of people on PO saying how good it was at crippling sweepers, and with wish support, it can even replace rest (wich I personally wont use unless i carry a cleric or two...)

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
is it too late to suggest chesto on the cm set over lefties possibly in ac? its really great after scouting the entire team and making an opening on the team. get a couple of cms in, let them hit you, rest and sweep.

Delta 2777

Machampion
It may be a bit late for this but isnt Power Share worth a shot? Ive heard a lot of people on PO saying how good it was at crippling sweepers, and with wish support, it can even replace rest (wich I personally wont use unless i carry a cleric or two...)
No; the only thing I'd consider Power Share on is Shuckle, as Desukaan actually has decent SpAtk, and Power Share can often backfire. Plus I can't personally think of anything Power Share would be useful to use against besides strong Physical attackers, which you can burn anyway.

Shouldn't shed shell be listed because of the 1 million Shanderas running around out there that can trap and hit it with Shadow Ball?
No

is it too late to suggest chesto on the cm set over lefties possibly in ac? its really great after scouting the entire team and making an opening on the team. get a couple of cms in, let them hit you, rest and sweep.
Good idea, I may actually make that a slash. Adding.

A Trick Room set with Desukan isn't a bad idea. It can run Trick Room, Nasty Plot, Shadow Ball, Hidden Power Fighting. It's bulky enough that it can take hits while setting up, and base 95 special attack isn't bad.

A Trick Room set with Desukan isn't a bad idea. It can run Trick Room, Nasty Plot, Shadow Ball, Hidden Power Fighting. It's bulky enough that it can take hits while setting up, and base 95 special attack isn't bad.
It works, if you pair it up with a teammate that has Toxic Spikes, you could use Evil Eye and dish out even more damage. Considering all of the Flying, Steel and Poison types, Shadow Ball is still more reliable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)