Cofagrigus (WIP)

Discussion in 'Locked / Outdated Analyses' started by Silvershadow234, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Silvershadow234

Silvershadow234 :]]]]]
    is a Pre-Contributor
    Mentor

[​IMG]

[Overview]

<p>Cofagrigus is one of the defensive giants of the UU tier. Sporting an enormous 145 base defence and a ghost typing, Cofagrigus can tank pretty much any physical hit with ease. Combine this with its great ability in Mummy, as well as moves like Haze and recovery in Pain Split and you have one of UU’s top spin-blockers and physical walls. Cofagrigus isn’t limited to defence though. It can quite easily go the offensive route with an offensive Trick Room set with Nasty Plot.

Every Pokemon has its flaws however, and Cofagrigus is no exception. Cofagrigus has serious difficulty taking powerful special attacks, and with a ghost typing comes a weakness to Pursuit. Cofagrigus wishes for a more reliable recovery move than Pain Split as well, especially since it takes damage from all hazards. Nonetheless, Cofagrigus is one of the best physical walls and spin blockers in UU, and should be treated as such.</p>

[SET]
    name: Offensive Trick Room
    move 1: Trick Room
    move 2: Shadow Ball
    move 3: Hidden Power Fighting
    move 4: Nasty Plot
    item: Leftovers
    ability: Mummy
    nature: Quiet
    evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
    ivs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 2 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Despite it's defensively leaning stats, Cofagrigus makes for a very effective sweeper. This set capitalizes on it's low speed stat and turns it against the opponent with the move Trick Room. Shadow Ball is once again the STAB move of choice, while Hidden Power Fighting gives Cofagrigus perfect neutral coverage. Nasty Plot boosts Cofagrigus' special attack to dizzying levels-and thanks to its good bulk, Cofagrigus can easily set up on many common pokemon, such as Heracross and Mienshao. The ev's maximise Cofagrigus' special attack and HP, allowing it to take a few hits before set-up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[SET]
    name: Physically defensive
    move 1: Shadow Ball
    move 2: Will-O-Wisp
    move 3: Pain Split
    move 4: Haze
    nature: Bold
    evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Toxic, an ev spread of 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD to allow it to take weaker special attacks.</p>

[SET]
    name: Calm Mind
    move 1: Calm Mind
    move 2: Shadow Ball
    move 3: Pain Split
    move 4: Hidden Power Fighting
    nature: Bold
    evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    ivs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p>Rain Dance, Night Shade</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

<p>Strong special attacks, especially ghosts and dark types. Pursuit trappers such as Weavile and Houndoom. Sableye can Taunt it and prevent any set up. Chandelure and Houndoom get special mentions because they can come in on Will-O-Wisp as well.</p>
  2. Mazz

Mazz Underused Project Manager
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

I'm not sure if QC will agree with me on this, but an alternative EV spread in 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD, the same spread currently on-site, is still viable on the Physically Defensive set, allowing Cofagrigus to take weaker special attacks with ease. I figure it should at least get a mention in AC, simply because it isn't entirely useless. Also with that set, I'd still put Rest as a slash beside Pain Spilt so that Cofagrigus still has a way to heal itself from Toxic and other status. It doesn't mind taking the two turns to sleep, as no unboosted physical threat poses any issues to it, and weak special attackers won't be able to beat it. QC probably won't agree with that either, but I have used Cofagrigus rather often and have always found Rest to hold more merit than Pain split, simply because of the ability to self-heal Toxic.

Figured I should mention that while you're still working on this.
  3. Nas

Nas you know my steez
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Without a Cleric, I seriously doubt Cofagrigus will ever wake up if it uses Rest. It'd be foolish to assume your opponent won't be able to force out or KO Cofagrigus in two turns without even having Sleep Talk as a defense. As for set order, it should go:

1. Offensive Trick Room
    2. Defensive
    3. Calm Mind
  4. Silvershadow234

is a Pre-Contributor
    Mentor

@ Pokemazter: Added the ev spread in additional comments.
    @ RT.: Changed the order of the sets.
  5. kokoloko

kokoloko I fill the bag.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Winner
    Underused Leader

You shouldn't have written this out yet; you're supposed to keep analyses in bullet point form until it passes through QC. This makes it easier for both you and the QC team to make any changes that need to be made. Leave what you already have but do the rest in bullet point form, please.
  6. Silvershadow234

is a Pre-Contributor
    Mentor

Didn't know that-sorry Koko.
  7. Santuga

Santuga

One thing that I always try to keep in mind when using Cofagrigus is Toxic, so I think it might be worth putting it into the C&C section (Toxic Spikes) and mention poison-types as good team mates (to also take a direct Toxic) or a spinner/Cleric/Both

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)