SM OU Coffin Breaking Crypt Keepers

Introduction

This team is a bit of a conglomeration of things I was messing about with. I'm trying to learn the new SM OU meta, particularly now that Mega Medicham is allowed. This team has been through a number of incarnations with various members and movesets switched around. I think its the right time for me to RMT this because I know the team well enough to explain it properly and I think its solid but I'm not so attached to the team that I'll feel bad if people want to change it. For each slot, where they've changed I've included what the previous members in the spots were. I'd be especially interested to see if I've gone past the 'ideal' makeup of the team.

The Team

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 104 HP / 244 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Fang

I started the team around Mawile because I enjoyed using it in XY when it was still allowed and I was really interested to see if it would be broken in the new meta. What I've found is a really solid breaker that can cause real problems with its coverage. I've gone backwards and forwards across most of Mawile's sets and at times this slot has been swords dance and even stealth rock. I've gone for the all out attacker set because I think the metagame is so fast that Mawile is much better using its coverage to punish switch-ins, even if they are netrual/resisted because it hits so hard. I found that the 'free turns' it creates for swords dance/stealth rock make is much more reliant on sucker punch which has its problems.

Mawile is running marginally more bulk than normal because it allows it to take hits more easily while still outspeeding neutral uninvested Celesteela to Fire Fang it. It means I'm out-sped by Magearna but that hasn't been a huge issue for the team.

Garchomp (F) @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Classic stealth rock swords dance Garchomp. Not too much to say here, I was interested in pairing Garchomp and Mawile because people try to switch the same walls/pivots into Garchomp as they do Mawile. Dragonium Z baits in things like Tangrowth while still allowing for the 2HKO on Toxapex, as well as allowing Garchomp to revenge kill Zygarde in a pinch. Again I have cycled through Life Orb/Firium Z and Groundium Z but this seems to be the best fit for the team. Garchomp doesn't have a lot of trouble getting up SR throughout the match if necessary. Garchomp will always get a KO in the match and pull its weight.

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder

This is where things started to get a bit different. Volcarona is a huge threat to this team and scarf Nihilego is a great check to it as well as to Tapu Lele which Mawile really hates. Additionally once it gets a kill it can snowball like all of the Ultra Beasts. Nihilego absolutely hates steel types though and I have considered changing its Hidden Power to Fire or Ground to that end but I don't know how useful it would be. Thunder is a good emergency option for Gyarados after a DD or a scarf Keldeo and can sometimes be the best neutral option to pick if you think the opponent will switch in a steel type. With that said, Power Gem is often the best option as even neutral hits will be hard e.g.: offensive Landorus-T will be 2HKO'd.

Cofagrigus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room

This is the first of the slots that has changed a lot it has been through numerous incarnations but this is the one I'm most happy with. This slot on the team needed to be able to deal with strong fighting types and, in particular, mega medicham since Nihilego cannot revenge from full unless its gotten a kill and Mawile can't KO unless its been worn down. Cofagrigus can switch in on any move, even Zen Headbutt and take away Medicham's ability and then OHKO. Even on teams without Medicham, Cofa can pull its weight by having a reasonable Ghost stab and can use Trick room that either it can use itself or pass on Mawile to play havoc with other team's speed control. I've even used this to allow Ferrothorn to outspeed Greninja which was just super-nice if completely situational. I haven't minimised the speed of any of the other members on purpose because this isn't a Trick Room team.

Max HP and Max SpA to take hits and hit back as hard as possible. Leftovers to keep some passive recovery.

I named the team after him because, why not? Its Cofagrigus!

Mismagius (F) @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Mystical Fire
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot

Mismagius used to be in this spot, filling a similar role to Taunt 3 attacks Gengar but giving a ground immunity and the ability to use Nasty Plot. Ghostium Z is very useful as a single nuke, she has a nice speed teir and was very capable of revenge killing Medicham. I found that while Mismagius did fit in, I often wished for more bulk or more power which is how it became to be replaced by Cofagrigus.

3 Attacks Taunt Gengar has also been in this slot but the poison type coverage was redundant alongside Nihilego and an extra ground weakness was not useful in this ground-heavy meta.

Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 140 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Not going to lie, this set was stolen hook, line and sinker from a similar team by bludz . Its a mixed bulk Rotom-W that allows it to switch into things like protean Greninja while still retaining physical bulk. Rotom-W just synergises very will with the rest of the team giving a slow U-Turn to get both Nihilego and Mawile in safely. It also forms a great core with Ferrothorn which allows them to take on most form of Metagross.

Using Wiki berry because it was on the set I stole but also I find it very clutch to have a big burst of health back to Rotom-W and I find it doesn't get the most of leftovers since its often pivoting out.

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Mawile really needs another steel on the team and while Tangrowth was the bulk grass I was using this as a Tapu Lele pivot and to trap steel types. Ultimately the ground weakness was unappealing and Rotom was a much better fit so I switched it out.

I also played with hazing Zapdos in this spot but mixed defense Rotom-W was a much better fit.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

Spikes Ferrothorn is an absolute beast in this metagame. EVs are standard to survive +3 Ice Beam from Manaphy as well as keeping physical bulk. On this team it serves as a back-up Steel to Mawile to be able to take on Tapu Lele (assuming not locked into HP Fire, but HP Fire allows Nihilego to switch in). This takes on most variants of Zygarde except Sub Coil but I haven't seen a lot of Sub Coil and either Nihilego or Garchomp can revenge kill if necessary. I've tinkered around with Ferrothorn by having Knock Off or Thunderwave but I've come back to this one as I think its the best. Chople Berry is best here because it gives the team a way to beat Mega Alakazam without resorting to trying to hit it with Mawile's Sucker Punch. Its also a nice Keldeo lure.

Every variant of Tangrowth you can think of has been in this slot: physically defensive when using AV Magnezone, when Rotom was first on the team I used Assault Vest. AV Tang is still a really good tech on this team but overall I think the team needs a second steel type and spikes are really, really nice.

Conclusion

This is not the best team I've put together but ultimately I think its using some current really popular metagame trends with a mix of more niche picks. I've found it very fun to use and I hope others do too.

Open to any suggestions that people may have to make it better.

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 104 HP / 244 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Fang

Garchomp (F) @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder

Cofagrigus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room

Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 140 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Ferrothorn (M) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

Great team but you kind of lose to sub coil zygarde, instead of using Rotom I'd recommend using tapu Fini it not only gives you a zygarde check but it also gives you a defogger and a stall breaker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)