Colo-Counters

Code:
+------+------------+--------+---------+
| Rank | Name       | Usage  | Percent |
+------+------------+--------+---------+
|    1 | Colossoil  |   1681 |   45.41 |

Okay, so if you've been playing CAP for awhile, you know that the #1 Pokemon every person should hate coming against is Colossoil and for good reason. With its monstrous HP and attack stat, respectable speed with the added bonus of powerful STAB priority, STAB Pursuit, and access to a myriad of other moves to deal with its counters, it's a top-tier threat to every team whether you know it or not.

This thread is mostly just to discuss how you guys handle Colossoil when it comes up against you. The counters list on the analysis is basically Skarmory if it doesn't have Fire Blast/Taunt or you're not in Selfdestruct KO range, Celebi who is scared of Crunch/Pursuit/SP (has anyone actually tried Tangrowth in the CAP metagame?), bulky water types that are all but nonexistent in CAP except Arghonaut and Gyarados, Syclant who beats Sucker Punch with Ice Shard and resists EQ, and that's about it.

Even with a counter on your team, you have to get to them without losing a Pokemon to Pursuit. Let's assume he doesn't even Pursuit your fleeing Pokemon and hits Arghonaut with an EQ or Skarmory with a Fire Blast or Gyarados with a Crunch. What then? Discovering that Colossoil has Fire Blast basically makes him dismantle an entire team with Skarmory as the primary counter. Gyarados is a pretty solid counter, but with SR up and taking the switch-in hit (if it hits him) wears him down ridiculously fast. Furthermore, Gyarados really doesn't fit the pace of numerous teams, so you can't just slap it on there to deal with Colossoil. This tends to be a problem with many of Colossoil's counters, if they can even rightly be called that. Not really complaining here, just venturing that Soil's an insane threat and providing some examples.

I'm really curious as to what people in the current CAP metagame do to combat the killer whale. Even if it's slightly gimmicky, if it works, I'm interested. Are there any hard counters that always work? Are there any overlapping counters for different sets Colossoil could be running?

you're just trying to suck up to plus, aren't you ;)

My first switch-in on my current stall team is always Salamence. Intimidate and immunity to its main attack is good enough, it doesn't need to resist Dark as well (especially since if it doesn't carry Taunt it can't force me to attack, so Pursuit is its strongest move).

Prior to Colo's release, i obviously didn't use Salamence on stall. My first switch-in was Skarmory, but that's risky these days since it could Fire Blast my ass off. Luckily, Colo doesn't seem to use fireblast much, so I keep Skarm as a good check.

Gyarados and Gliscor are probably the only other really good switch-ins. It's worth noting that max/max+ Arghonaut and Suicune will never be 2hkoed by any Life Orb Colossoil's Earthquake, but they take more damage than i personally would be happy with. for all of these mons, watch for selfdestruct.

I'm never really interested in "countering" pokemon when I'm using an offensive team, so I'll just point out my observations. It obviously requires a degree of prediction, but since Colossoil can't take very many powerful hits (ScarfTran Fire Blast, Salamence STAB move, etc), the easiest way of dealing with it is bringing in a pokemon that threatens it on a move they take little-to-no damage from. Luckily EQ/Sucker Punch/Fire Blast are all easy to do that against.

I've also been experimenting with Substitute Latias to help lure it out (meaning if Colo tries to Sucker Punch it dies).

tl;dr "play around it".
---

On more defensive teams, defensive Gyarados is probably the best bet (its not very great in CAP though so...), since almost no Colo run Stone Edge. Also, Fuzznip and some others use defensive Salamence which works just about as well (probably better since it has recovery). Fidgit can come in on Sucker Punch and Encore it but that's risky. Most defensive teams run some Scarfer (right?) which can usually threaten Colosoil as well. Its lifespan should also be shortened significantly be the entry hazards that are probably present.

Once again though, finding absolute counters generally won't be worth it... and might not be necessary. Colossoil sure is powerful and dangerous, but I'd play around it the same way I play around something like Salamence.

Umbreon Dan said:
you're just trying to suck up to plus, aren't you ;)
Not particularly! I'm just genuinely curious. I've basically been doing what EM suggests already - play around it. Still, I couldn't help but think that maybe there was a better approach than that, so I wanted to ask the forum at-large.

Salamence is a good suggestion. I've heard tell of a defensive WishMence set running around on stall teams and have faced it once myself. Seems pretty nifty, actually, since it bests many of the caps.
Umbreon Dan said:
Gyarados and Gliscor are probably the only other really good switch-ins. It's worth noting that max/max+ Arghonaut and Suicune will never be 2hkoed by any Life Orb Colossoil's Earthquake, but they take more damage than i personally would be happy with. for all of these mons, watch for selfdestruct.
Gliscor is actually a good suggestion. Hadn't really considered that, but it definitely makes sense as a viable option. The neutrality to SR helps tons with the switch-ins too.
Elevator Music said:
Most defensive teams run some Scarfer (right?) which can usually threaten Colosoil as well.
Yeah, it's just that a neutral Sucker Punch is murder for many scarfers since they tend to be relatively frail anyways.
Elevator Music said:
I've also been experimenting with Substitute Latias to help lure it out (meaning if Colo tries to Sucker Punch it dies).
That's a good idea too.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll look into trying some of these things.

Before going with the discussion, I'd like to underline some things:
  • Obviously, there is no surefire counter to Colossoil. Its movepool allow it to check/kill everything in the game, given the right move. But, as we all know, you can run only 4 moves. For the sake of this analysis, I will assume the following set:
Colossoil @ Life Orb
Guts - Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch

- Stone Edge/Selfdestruct/Crunch (maybe Fire Blast too, but I'm skeptical about it)
  • If the Colossoil user predicts correctly, it is going to mess you up badly most times
Now, you could say "WHAT. Are you gonna say that the only way to deal with Colossoil is prediction? This thing is overpowered". That's not the case, for several reasons. First of all, there is the risk/reward ratio. Sure, if the Colossoil user predicts well, something is probably going down on your side. But if you outpredict, chances are that you end up with a dead Colossoil, or you gave to Gyarados/Salamence/Skarmory a free turn to set up (especially when you play SP/Pursuit mindgames against Latias, Celebi and friends). Sure, there is something wrong with a Pokémon when it ensures you one or more kills per match no matter what the opponent does (assuming decent play on both sides), but in Colossoil's case, you can't really say it ensures you the kill/kills. You need to play it correctly, and predict, otherwise it is gonna get killed.

But I'm not going to stop here. Contrary to popular belief, Colossoil has checks. Not only some Pokémon resist the Dark/Ground combo (I'll come back to this point later), people often forget that, most times, Colossoil's Dark moves are Sucker Punch and Pursuit. As long as you don't attack it or switch out, and you are immune/resistant to Ground, the best you can expect (I repeat, most times) from Colossoil is a neutral Pursuit, or a resisted Earthquake (or, when it comes to worst, a neutral Stone Edge). A Pokémon like BulkyMence (who laughes at Earthquake and Pursuit, can easily avoid Sucker Punch and can even recover from Stone Edge, assuming Mence came into Colossoil and not viceversa), for example, can easily set up on Colossoil, or at least force it to switch out (which is not a bad thing, considering Colossoil's little survavibility - I'll cover this later).

But let's say Colossoil has Crunch, shall we? As I noted before, there exist some Pokémon which resist both of the narwhal's STABs, and some of them actually make interesting choices:

Breloom: you may hate the punching mushroom as much as you want, but Breloom makes a surprisingly good check to Colossoil for several reasons. Not only it resists Colo's STABs, it takes half damage even from Stone Edge. From there, it can threaten to either set up a Substitute (if Colossoil flees) or revenge kill with Mach Punch (if Colossoil dares to use Fire Blast/Selfdestruct/Taunt). Of course, Breloom will need a bulky spread to take on Colossoil, Mach Punch doesn't OHKO (it still does roughly 70% with 394 Atk, so most times it will suffice), and Fidgit, Syclant and Kitsunoh are huge obstacles to Breloom's viability in CAP. But when you remember that the mushroom also checks Stratagem and Arghonaut quite well, you'll see that Breloom is a better choice than it looks.

Heracross: Not as viable as Breloom or Skarmory, but still more than decent. It has good STABs, Stone Edge for coverage, and although some CAPs really screw him over (like Kitsunoh, Revenankh and, to a lesser extent, Arghonaut and Pyroak), it can hold its own like he does in standard (i.e., with low-OU performances)

Skarmory: Those who think Fire Blast will seal Skarm's days of Colossoil's ownage are wrong. With fearsome sweepers like Salamence and Gyarados which can happily set up on variants without Stone Edge or Selfdestruct, Colossoil will almost always lack Fire Blast. From there, you can exploit these free switch-ins to lay down Spikes (unless they want to eat a BRave Bird to the face and dare to Taunt you). Not much else to explain here, Skarmory is by far the most common answer to Colossoil, and players are very familiar with its strengths by now.

Now, combine the list of checks (let's recap: Breloom, Heracross, Skarmory, Salamence, Gyarados... we may add even Scizor if we are ballin' enough to rely on Bullet Punch, but since lots of people do it with Salamence in Standard anyway, why not? There are a lot others anyway), with the fact that Colossoil is INCREDIBLY frail (don't let that gargantuan 133 base HP - even with SR resistance, you won't survive for long with all the passive damage which you are going to take every turn, especially if you get statused. Keep also in mind Spikes, because Skarm will set up them right into your face), and you'll see that, while Colossoil is incredibly powerful, is nowhere near the Uber status (or, I would dare, even the suspect aura held by Salamence, Latias and Manaphy in Standard). Hell, if I needed a reliable Pursuit, Scizor and Tyranitar would make much better choices, especially against Celebi, Blissey and Latias (Rotom is another story). The only reason Colossoil is so powerful is that it doesn't slow the pace of offensive teams and can do more than simply Pursuiting.

Tl;dr: you can deal with Colossoil - you just have to prepare for it. The answers are there, are viable in CAP and won't let you down.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm never really interested in "countering" pokemon when I'm using an offensive team, so I'll just point out my observations. It obviously requires a degree of prediction, but since Colossoil can't take very many powerful hits (ScarfTran Fire Blast, Salamence STAB move, etc), the easiest way of dealing with it is bringing in a pokemon that threatens it on a move they take little-to-no damage from. Luckily EQ/Sucker Punch/Fire Blast are all easy to do that against.

tl;dr "play around it".
---

On more defensive teams, defensive Gyarados is probably the best bet (its not very great in CAP though so...), since almost no Colo run Stone Edge. Also, Fuzznip and some others use defensive Salamence which works just about as well (probably better since it has recovery). Fidgit can come in on Sucker Punch and Encore it but that's risky. Most defensive teams run some Scarfer (right?) which can usually threaten Colosoil as well. Its lifespan should also be shortened significantly be the entry hazards that are probably present.

Once again though, finding absolute counters generally won't be worth it... and might not be necessary. Colossoil sure is powerful and dangerous, but I'd play around it the same way I play around something like Salamence.
Pretty much this. Considering how much of Colo's bulk goes down the drain through Life Orb, you can play around it relatively easy should you know what you are doing. Fidgit as EM has mentioned can switch in on the dark moves and Encore. Other answers to Colossoil include Skarmory, Revenankh, Arghonaut, Gyarados, Scarftran, and Salamence. While none of these are concrete counters, that is barely relevant so long as you can beat Colossoil. Pokemon is played primarily through checks rather than counters anyways.

So yeah. It's not fucking rocket science, just beat Colossoil. I dont think you have to run any fancy shit to beat it. Play around it and you're fine. I have never found myself putting a pokemon on my team simply to beat Colossoil. And of all things, I have rarely if at all seen a Heracross or Breloom outside of Colossoil playtesting to deal with Colossoil, simply because of how piss poor both of them do against Fidgit and Revenankh.

Colossoil players generally have to be aware that it will die quick if one uses too many moves on it. I personally like using Colossoil really quickly, making sure I get at least 2 kills with it per game, usually through a revenge kill and a Selfdestruct. Opposing Colossoil players usually have to play smart in order to make sure that I wouldn't be exploding on an important pokemon, or else their team goes down in pieces. Colo's just one of those break shit up, now you can sweep type of pokemon. Colo does really well in softening a team up for another to sweep.

Special sweepers are generally easy team mates for Colo thanks to his awesome ability to break apart teams, most notably things like Blissey or bulkier things such as Swampert and Arghonaut, who could be 2hkod by a LO EQ coming from Colossoil. I've found that fast versatile sweepers like Latias and Stratagem work wonders with Colossoil, though admittedly those pokemon must be wary of Revenankh.

Perhaps I have gone a bit off topic here, but just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Good job on creating a discussion thread. We barely get these on CAP and they are really needed. :)

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Firstly to Zarator; standard Life Orb Colo runs 4 EVs in Def, not HP.

I run an offensive SD Breloom on my current team, and usually, I can SD as Colossoil switches in and nail it with Mach Punch.
It's not always an OHKO, as the calc shows; 91.89% - 109.09%
That said, it's reliable enough for my likings, and usually, Sucker Punch won't kill my Breloom (252 Atk / 188 HP / 12 Spe / rest into Def) and I outspeed Fire Blast thanks to Mach Punch's priority.
Once I did manage to Trick a Scarf onto Colossoil locking it into Sucker Punch, got +6, Spored it and started wrecking a team. That was fun.

I've also been experimenting with a 'bait-killer' Syclant, (Ice Beam/Vacuum Wave/Psychic/Earth Power) and it manages to OHKO Colossoil all the time (109.31% - 129.41%), but the team itself is weak, so I've yet to guarantee success. And on top of that, Sucker Punch kills Syclant without Focus Sash. ...And occasionally if Colossoil is faster then that's problems too.

Colossoil is one hell of a beastly narwhal, sure, but if you can survive Sucker Punch and outspeed it I don't see what the problem is.

ZystraL said:
Colossoil is one hell of a beastly narwhal, sure, but if you can survive Sucker Punch and outspeed it I don't see what the problem is.
That is rather difficult to do, though, as almost nothing faster is resistant/immune to both EQ and Sucker Punch. (Or is going to do much to him)
ZystraL said:
I run an offensive SD Breloom on my current team, and usually, I can SD as Colossoil switches in and nail it with Mach Punch.
I really don't think Colossoil is ever going to switch into a Breloom. That is something Fidgit would do. (Thus encoring your SD or Mach Punch, neither of which is a problem for Fidgit to deal with)
Plus said:
Pretty much this. Considering how much of Colo's bulk goes down the drain through Life Orb, you can play around it relatively easy should you know what you are doing. Fidgit as EM has mentioned can switch in on the dark moves and Encore. Other answers to Colossoil include Skarmory, Revenankh, Arghonaut, Gyarados, Scarftran, and Salamence. While none of these are concrete counters, that is barely relevant so long as you can beat Colossoil. Pokemon is played primarily through checks rather than counters anyways.
This generally sums up what I do. It's just I hate relying on the guessing game when he comes in on a Pokemon he can either kill with Pursuit if I flee or Sucker Punch if I attack. There's really no prediction involved, it's pure guesswork. That's the biggest trick for me.
Plus said:
Colossoil players generally have to be aware that it will die quick if one uses too many moves on it. I personally like using Colossoil really quickly, making sure I get at least 2 kills with it per game, usually through a revenge kill and a Selfdestruct. Opposing Colossoil players usually have to play smart in order to make sure that I wouldn't be exploding on an important pokemon, or else their team goes down in pieces. Colo's just one of those break shit up, now you can sweep type of pokemon. Colo does really well in softening a team up for another to sweep.

Special sweepers are generally easy team mates for Colo thanks to his awesome ability to break apart teams, most notably things like Blissey or bulkier things such as Swampert and Arghonaut, who could be 2hkod by a LO EQ coming from Colossoil. I've found that fast versatile sweepers like Latias and Stratagem work wonders with Colossoil, though admittedly those pokemon must be wary of Revenankh.
These are all things I've noticed as well. I tend to play my teams without Colossoil because there are sometimes better options for what I need my team to do, but honestly, it can fit into any team and play in it well. And definitely that the sweepers that best go with it are special, since Colossoil obliterates Blissey. Still, though, as you suggest, Rev can be a real pain. I really like Stratagem with Colossoil, since Colo can generally eliminate anything that Strata doesn't like. (This probably applies to Syclant as well, but I've never actually tried those two together)
Zarator said:
Now, combine the list of checks (let's recap: Breloom, Heracross, Skarmory, Salamence, Gyarados... we may add even Scizor if we are ballin' enough to rely on Bullet Punch, but since lots of people do it with Salamence in Standard anyway, why not? There are a lot others anyway), with the fact that Colossoil is INCREDIBLY frail (don't let that gargantuan 133 base HP - even with SR resistance, you won't survive for long with all the passive damage which you are going to take every turn, especially if you get statused. Keep also in mind Spikes, because Skarm will set up them right into your face), and you'll see that, while Colossoil is incredibly powerful, is nowhere near the Uber status (or, I would dare, even the suspect aura held by Salamence, Latias and Manaphy in Standard). Hell, if I needed a reliable Pursuit, Scizor and Tyranitar would make much better choices, especially against Celebi, Blissey and Latias (Rotom is another story). The only reason Colossoil is so powerful is that it doesn't slow the pace of offensive teams and can do more than simply Pursuiting.
First, status is something Colossoil will gladly switch into, as you've just pumped his hits up by a whopping 50%. He takes poison and burn like a trooper, is immune to the most common paralysis move, and has priority to get around an untimely paralysis if he does manage to get it. Furthermore, I don't think anything actually is going to ever put him to sleep, since the things who use sleep-inducing moves he wouldn't switch into or really don't like Sucker Punch once he's already in.

I also think that neither Scizor nor Tyranitar have problems keeping pace in an offensive team. Colossoil's real value is in its killer STABs and the Sucker Punch / Pursuit combo. (Alongside a wonderful ability in Guts and a great stat spread)
Plus said:
EDIT: Good job on creating a discussion thread. We barely get these on CAP and they are really needed. :)
Thanks! I thought it'd be good to get a bit of this out in the open. :)

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the fact that Colossoil is probably the primary reason for Shaymin becoming more popular in the CAP metagame. It has good defenses, resists Earthquake and, unlike Celebi, isn't weak to Dark. It can OHKO it with an SpA-invested Grass Knot or use Seed Flare on a defensive set. Speaking of Celebi, it's actually not a completely terrible response to Colossoil either. It's actually bulky enough to survive Sucker Punch easily if it has enough HP (it will generally be able to survive even if it has NO investment in its defenses, but not if it's weakened) and Grass Knot and Leaf Storm do ridiculous amounts of damage back. Another Grass-type that I'm very interested in seeing on a CAP defensive team is Tangrowth, who also has the pure Grass thing going for it with Shaymin, has ridiculous Defense and can Power Whip the damn whale.

Considering how much Colossoil has become used as a counter-remover on offensive teams, eliminating a lot of checks for Pokemon like Gyarados and Lucario, and how many sweeps Colossoil itself hinders, there is also a lot of potential in sets that are used to lure out and eliminate enemy Colossoils. A really good example of this is Colbur Berry Latias. At first it looks completely ridiculous, but you'd be surprised at how well it can function in the metagame. Without LO or Leftovers, it can easily be mistaken for a Choice Scarf or Choice Specs Latias, but when Colossoil (and sometimes even Tyranitar, but it's quite a bit bulkier and difficult to kill) switches in, it can strike back with a Surf or Grass Knot while it easily takes a Pursuit or Sucker Punch with the Colbur Berry. I can imagine that Colbur Berry may also be useful on the Rotom formes, provided they run Hydro Pump/Leaf Storm for Colossoil.

First, status is something Colossoil will gladly switch into, as you've just pumped his hits up by a whopping 50%. He takes poison and burn like a trooper, is immune to the most common paralysis move, and has priority to get around an untimely paralysis if he does manage to get it. Furthermore, I don't think anything actually is going to ever put him to sleep, since the things who use sleep-inducing moves he wouldn't switch into or really don't like Sucker Punch once he's already in.
I know Colossoil likes status, but when you are losing more than 20% health every turn, you are not going to last long. Sure, until then, you will hit like a truck (seriously, Pursuit can OHKO even a fleeing Revenankh), but if you manage to play around him for a couple turns (hard but definitely possible) you can easily put him in KO range.

I also think that neither Scizor nor Tyranitar have problems keeping pace in an offensive team. Colossoil's real value is in its killer STABs and the Sucker Punch / Pursuit combo. (Alongside a wonderful ability in Guts and a great stat spread)
My bad if it wasn't obvious, but here I meant Choice Scizor/Ttar.

EDIT: Admiral, it was only a damage calc example...

I find that a combination of Revy and Skarm defeat Colosoil handily and also have very good synergy overwise.
One of the more irratating things about Colosoil almost always carries the one move that happens to beat my specific team. Stone Edge Soil can beat switching (only) Salamence and Gyrados, Fire Blast can beat Skarm, Breloom, Heracross, Shaymin (whom I agree is very nice), and switching Scizors. But without out either of these moves something counters it, but if you run both you don't have either Sucker Punch or Pusiut which means you can't beat stall members.
I think Colsoil is in the same boat as Gengar, nothing can actually counter it, but if it lacks a certain moveset it can be stopped quickly.
Scarf-Soil is a great revenge killer as he can kill +1 Gyrados and kills other speedy threat like Stratagem.

I know Colossoil likes status, but when you are losing more than 20% health every turn, you are not going to last long. Sure, until then, you will hit like a truck (seriously, Pursuit can OHKO even a fleeing Revenankh)...
Why would Revenankh want to run when he has STAB Hammer Arm? Colossoil should be the one running in that case. The standard Revenankh's Hammer Arm deals 75.2% - 88.5% damage to the standard Colossoil (without any Bulk Ups). But if you increase Attack Power to the max like I usually do, it deals 102.2% - 120.9%, a guaranteed OHKO. And in return, Revenankh receives 56.6% - 66.8% damage from Colossoil's Earthquake. Sure, you lose out on the bulk, but Revenankh can still be a pain in the ass if it Rests at the right time and stays on the battlefield.

But yeah, Colossoil's not much of a problem for me. Arghonaut's the one that usually gets me down

I haven't played much recently, but at the beginning of Colosoil testing I was having success with Torterra as a Colossoil counter. Back then, though, I never saw Colossoil running Fire Blast, which does 50-59% to Torterra (LO, neutral, no EV's). Still, it's not the worst check, since it shrugs off Earthquake and Stone Edge, takes Crunch pretty well, and isn't totally decimated if you accidentally switch into Fire Blast. It isn't dead weight on the team, either, as it can counter a lot of things using EdgeQuake, hits 6 out of 9 CAPs for Super Effective Damage with just it's STABs, and has some good support options like Leech Seed + Protect, Stealth Rock, and Roar.

THis is all theory, since i never tried CAP before, but wouldn't Ludicolo be a good matchup against Collosoil? It has grass and water stab to hit collosoil, and is builky enough to survive attacks from collosoil i would imagine. i don't think the damage calculator has CAP pokemon so i can't run any calculations.

i'd imagine ludicolo is an alright check to colossoil, but it'd have to be a defensive ludicolo due to his average defenses (80 HP / 70 Def), and defensive ludicolo is as out of place in OU as a woman out of the kitchen.

when i played cap earlier (haven't played as much recently) i just switched in intimidators such as salamence and i also tended to have a skarm present on my team, and I never found colossoil a problem. sure, you have to play sucker punch/pursuit mindgames but think of it this way: you've got your weakened blissey in versus a DDmence. You choices are to stay in and Ice Beam - hopefully on the dd, rather than being KOed by Outrage - or switch to a Steel-type - hopefully on an outrage, and not on a dd. Is Salamence broken because you sometimes have to play mindgames with it? (and yes there is some argument that salamence is indeed broken but not for those reasons).

defeating colossoil is rather like the way stall teams handle infernape: just let it kill itself. colossoil can take a hit or two, but ONLY a hit or two, as its defenses are unimpressive and life orb its constantly draining its HP. Let it weaken itself (there are plenty of pokemon that can take colossoil's attacks) and then switch to a pokemon that can take an LO sucker punch, and finish him off.

I didn't read the entire thread, I'm just posting my thoughts.

I'm sure all of you can agree that Colossoil is one of the most threatening sweepers in the current CAP metagame. It just is. However, it's not too hard to stop, even though it doesn't necessarily have any "true" counter(s). There are many, many ways to take down Colossoil.

On my stall team, both Skarmory and defensive Salamence are my primary switch-ins of choice. Skarmory takes on Colossoil like a champ, unless of course it carries Taunt or Fire Blast. Therefore, Salamence is the Pokemon I'd switch in first when my opponent sends out the beast. It's Intimidate ability and very usable defensive stats make it a very good switch-in. I run Wish + Protect on my Salamence, meaning I can scout for Colossoil's moves, particularly Selfdestruct, and heal off any damage taken in the process of removing Colossoil. However, there is one trick up my sleeve that brings down any oblivious Colossoil: Blissey. Blissey is one of the best Colossoil lures, and is easy Pursuit bait. I use this strategy to my advantage by running maximum HP and Defense with Counter. Any Colossoil thinking of trying to Pursuit Blissey will face an instant OHKO, even if I stay in. Earthquake doesn't deal enough damage to bring down Blissey in a tight spot once Colossoil is gone.

On offensive teams, Gyarados and Salamence are wonderful switch-ins to Colossoil. Both pack Intimidate and an immunity to Earthquake, so they can set up Dragon Dance and sweep. Dragon Dance also avoids Sucker Punch, which is a definitely a plus. On my Colossoil playtesting team, I was really prepared for Colossol. I had Gyarados, Celebi, and Vaporeon, all of whom are capable of dealing with Colossoil pretty well.

Other ways of handling Colossoil is by using lures that can harm Colossoil. Gengar usually lures in Colossoil, but you can run Substitute to scout for it and score an OHKO with Focus Blast. Colbur Berry Latias can defeat most Colossoil with Surf, keeping Sucker Punch/Pursuit for KOing it. Leech Seed Celebi can prevent Sucker Punch from working and stall out Colossoil from there with Substitute. I can go on and on with this.

I don't want to make this post so long, so that's all I'm going to say. On the note of Ludicolo being a good switch-in to Colossoil, that's not true. An Adamant Life Orb Earthquake deals 49.50% - 58.47% to the standard Ludicolo, which is huge. That means Ludicolo will never be able to switch into Colossoil safely. If you were to get it in somehow, Sucker Punch will almost finish you. It does 79.07% - 93.69%, so with a few entry hazards, it won't live.

Another pokemon that hasn't been mentioned that I've found to be fairly effective is Defensive Machamp (max HP/max Def, Adamant) The only move it has to fear is Earthquake and even then Collosoil struggles to dent it. Machamp can hit back with fighting STAB or use a Bulk-up/Rest set to set up on it.

Apparently Staraptor also handily takes care of the narwhal with Intimidate, immunity to EQ, and CC as the attacking option to OHKO. With Roost and Substitute, Staraptor gets to turn the game around and play mind games on Colossoil for a change. It's pretty neat, actually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)