XY NU Comeback

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Hi everyone, I've fallen out with the metagame over the past few months and as such missed the bulk of the new metagames introduced since the release of XY besides XY OU itself. However a few weeks ago I decided that it was time to get back into the tiers I really enjoy, that being NU and RU, and this generation NU is appealing to me more. This is my most successful team for the tier, and while I know it is far from perfect (or good, probably) that is exactly why I am RMT'ing it. I want to ask for more experienced players in this tiers advice while I learn this new metagame better and better. I even used the analyses a bit while making this team, which if you know me from last generation is quite an accomplishment. So without further ado, here's the team:

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Sludge Wave

Seismitoad was one of my favourite Pokemon to use last generation, so the first thing I did when I decided to get back into XY NU was to put it on a team. I looked for changes from BW2 and XY NU that would affect its moveset and couldn't find anything, so here you have a set from B2W2 NU. Seismitoad here is my Stealth Rock setter and is a bit of a counter to offensive teams, as it packs considerable power in Earth Power and Sludge Wave as well as having a powerful Scald to hinder physical sweepers. Seismitoad actually takes out a plethora of top-tier threats such as Slurpuff and Rhydon. I originally had Hydro Pump over Scald, but during testing I quickly realized that Hydro Pump's accuracy was letting me down, and the utility provided with Scald is better than that extra power anyway. Seismitoad also fills a third of my FWG core, being the water part. I find FWG is always a reliable team archetype when trying to introduce yourself to a new metagame.

/

Pyroar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Hyper Voice
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Pyroar is one of my revenge killers, and is just great to have around against offensive but frailer teams, as little outspeeds Pyroar with its Choice Scarf. The main reason I use Choice Scarf over Choice Specs is actually Sneasel, because it is a major threat to my team otherwise. I also acknowledge the fact that the analysis says to use Choice Specs, but through testing I find Choice Scarf to be the better option for this team. Anyway, I have never actually used Dark Pulse, since the other three attacks are really all it needs. Pyroar is a key member to the team because it can take things on such as Shiftry (despite the Sucker Punch damage, it gets the job done!) as well as the aforementioned Sneasel and other glass cannons like it. Pyroar is the fire-type third of my FWG core.

Cacturne @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Superpower

Cacturne? Choice Band Cacturne? Superpower? Poison Jab? Yeah, OK, so this Cacturne isn't the standard set, but it is the Pokémon who has undergone the most adjustments since I built the original draft of this team. You may ask why I am using Choice Band as opposed to Life Orb, and that's for the simple reason of team synergy. The Life Orb set was working well for me, but this team originally used a Slurpuff. I didn't like how it played, so I replaced Slurpuff with a Sneasel and decided to go wild with Cacturne here. I find them to be a fairly well synergised duo and the pair covers a couple of team archetypes, because as you might have guessed, Cacturne here is a Wallbreaker. Choice Band Seed Bomb hits incredibly hard on lots of the bulkier Pokémon in the tier, as many of them are actually weak to grass such as Seismitoad, Regirock, Rhydon, Lanturn, Omastar and Carracosta. Superpower is there for Ferroseed mainly, but is also handy to have against opposing Cacturne (notice the 8 speed EVs. That's both to give it an odd number of HP because of Stealth Rock and to do a bit of speed creeping), while Poison Jab is there for some rarer but still powerful bulky Pokémon such as Ludicolo and Granbull. Sucker Punch is there because people often don't expect it to hit as hard as it does because they are used to Life Orb Cacturne so it has a certain amount of surprise factor, but also it's just so that Cacturne isn't a complete and utter deadweight against offensive teams where everything outspeeds the poor cactus. It can usually gets at least one KO with Sucker Punch later in the game, which is undeniably helpful. Water Absorb is also great for the few rain teams I've run into in this tier. I also love the power Cacturne packs. For example, it can OHKO Miltank and Audino with Superpower, and 3HKO Steelix (but usually 2HKO as I use Steelix later on in the match usually). It's interesting that Cacturne actually seems to be quite anti-meta. Especially without Shiftry, Cacturne could take the limelight in the current stage of NU!

...yeah, probably not.

Drifblim @ Leftovers
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp

I just needed a nice Defog user, and Drifblim really jumped out at me. While I couldn't use a set like it had last generation, I thought I'd go for a set which I had used to great effect last generation on Misdreavus, that being the double status set. The idea is to be able to be a nice counter to sweepers at any time in the match. For example, if you're facing a Feraligatr early in the match you definitely want to use Will-O-Wisp on it to basically incapacitate it for the rest of the battle. However, if it is late in the game and you just have Drifblim and Cacturne left, for example, you can Thunder Wave to let Cacturne happily outspeed. Thunder Wave is also nice to have for the special sweepers in the tier, however few there may be. It has saved me against countless Mesprit. Shadow Ball is there for a decently powerful STAB attack, and Defog is just there because I can see hazards being very problematic for this team without it. I pumped a bunch of EVs into speed so that Drifblim can outspeed threats such as Feraligatr and to speed tie with max speed Shiftry (although most are either Adamant or Modest that I've run into, so I outspeed them thanks to nature) since otherwise it wouldn't be incapacitating anything! You may argue that the bulk is more important for getting Defog off safely, but Drifblim outspeeds most hazard setters anyway.

Mesprit @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Healing Wish

Mesprit is a must-have on most teams this generation IMO. It is just an incredibly versatile Pokémon, but I've found that this set works best for me and my team. Healing Wish is absolutely crucial in the current metagame, because I've found on bulkier Pokémon like Seismitoad smaller amounts of damage seem to be thrown around weakening them substantially, but then Healing Wish heals them back up and makes them my win condition many times, really. Psychic is for powerful STAB, Thunderbolt is for the otherwise dangerous Flying-Type Pokémon to my team (since I tend to sack Sneasel early game and just have it being a huge damage-dealer putting the rest of my team at a distinct advantage early on) and Energy Ball is just there because, even though I have three Grass-Type attacks on my team, it is my most powerful Special Grass-Type attack, which is incredible for Pokémon like Regirock; Pokémon which Cacturne can only hope to 2HKO with its STAB, despite them being weak to the attack. Besides, it keeps up my momentum by having me not have to switch.

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Power Gem

Suggested by Brawlfest, replaced Sneasel. Probopass here is a fantastic offensive pivot, especially against the many choice-locker Normal-Type Pokémon in NU or, really, most attackers. Not only does Probopass' typing greatly benefit the team, it's nice special power is a factor in its placement on the team. It provides some much-needed bulk, which is sometimes not too apparent with Pokémon such as Pyroar and Cacturne. If I need a Pokémon to take a strong hit and deal one back, Probopass is where I turn.

Replaced By Probopass

Sneasel @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

Sneasel has two roles on this team. It can either be an early game damage spreader, or a late game win condition, but is very rarely both. Sneasel has an incredibly basic set here; STABs, priority and then coverage. I really don't know what else to say about Sneasel here, because it is a standard set. Everyone knows that Sneasel is good at its job. Something noteworthy is that Sneasel is quite a frail thing, but its glass cannon nature was exactly what I was looking for when I put it on the team. This slot originally belonged to a Slurpuff, but I felt that I needed more presence early game besides just Mesprit and a bit of Seismitoad and Pyroar, so I found Sneasel's power and speed to be a great combination for the role. It also helps me counter rarer threats such as Mesprit and actually Altaria, who gives this team huge trouble once Sneasel is gone.

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Sludge Wave

Pyroar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Hyper Voice
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Cacturne @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Superpower

Drifblim @ Leftovers
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp

Sneasel @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

Mesprit @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Healing Wish

So that's the team! I'm really just looking for some great advice on how to improve this team, as well as looking for well made posts to explain the current metagame a little bit better for a (pseudo-)offensive team such as this one. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Hey Celever how are you! This seems like a cool team, but there are major flaws. To start with, Stealth Rocks / Rock type mons pressure your team insanely, being SE on 3 of your mons, and with your Seis being an offensive variant and being worn down quickly, it isn't likely that it will be able to consistently check rock types. Drifblim is also frankly not that reliable in terms of defog due to the ease at which it can be worn down as well as its crippling common weaknesses. Unfortunately, you also suffer from a potent fairy weakness, with Slurpuff being able to set up on a good portion of your team, and stuff like Granbull simply being impossible to switch into. Strong flying types like AcroArcheops also have a field day on your team with a distinct lack of switch in. Outside of that, it seems like a ok team, but severe flaws do indeed cripple it largely.

I feel that Cacturne is just a worse wallbreaker than Mixed Shiftry. Cacturne is strong, but its low speed and being choice locked could potentially make it setup fodder, and honestly in the current metagame Dark and Grass is really all the typing you need in order to cover most pokemon. Immediatly I noticed a distinct weakness to Stealth Rocks even with Drifblim, simply because Drifblim cannot even face common pokemon due to its common weaknesses such as Dark and Ghost. Instead, Shiftry forces out large portions of the metagame, getting it free defog opportunities, and yet like Cacturne can still exploit powerful attacks and good typing against Stealth Rock leads, but more importantly is much faster than Cacturne, allowing it to not always have to fall back on Sucker Punch as a crux and giving it more opportunities to use the far more reliable and crippling Knock Off.

The next thing that I would change is from Sneasel to Bulky Attacker Probopass. It seems that again, your team has difficulty fighting Fairy and Rock Types, which Probopass is a complete check to. The primary problem with Sneasel is that although it is a really good pokemon, it cannot be thrown on every team, and I feel it opens more holes for you than it patches. I feel that it gets worn down too quickly for your own good, and your team doesn't exactly support its amazing offensive capabilities well. Instead, I recommend Bulky Attacker Probopass, primarily because it helps to release pressure from stuff like BD Slurpuff by OHKO'ing it with a Flash Cannon, or help to beat Archeops who otherwise pressures you greatly. Probopass acts as a great pivot for Bulky Offensive teams like your own, and can help to relieve some of the weaknesses your team faces. I feel that you offer enough offensive pressure between your other pokemon that the loss of Sneasel shouldn't make you too weak!

Minor Changes:
Seismitoad: Run Timid to bait in and kill Adamant Shiftry, the most common variant.
Pyroar: Flamethrower > Dark Pulse as Dark Pulse is not only weak, but hits Ghosts just as hard as a STAB Fire Blast, making it rather useless coverage, and getting locked into such a poor move means you are far more easily setup on and you offer the opponent a free switch.
Drifblim: I reccomend trying AcroBlimp with Acrobatics / Will-O-Wisp / Substitute / Destiny Bond or Disable, as it is a amazing disrupter mid game and even a solid cleaner, and is far more effective than your current set at punching holes for teammates such as Mesprit!

Fun team!

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Defog

Probopass @ Air Balloon / Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull / Sturdy
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Earth Power / Power Gem / Thunder Wave

Celever

i am town
Hey Celever how are you! This seems like a cool team, but there are major flaws. To start with, Stealth Rocks / Rock type mons pressure your team insanely, being SE on 3 of your mons, and with your Seis being an offensive variant and being worn down quickly, it isn't likely that it will be able to consistently check rock types. Drifblim is also frankly not that reliable in terms of defog due to the ease at which it can be worn down as well as its crippling common weaknesses. Unfortunately, you also suffer from a potent fairy weakness, with Slurpuff being able to set up on a good portion of your team, and stuff like Granbull simply being impossible to switch into. Strong flying types like AcroArcheops also have a field day on your team with a distinct lack of switch in. Outside of that, it seems like a ok team, but severe flaws do indeed cripple it largely.

I feel that Cacturne is just a worse wallbreaker than Mixed Shiftry. Cacturne is strong, but its low speed and being choice locked could potentially make it setup fodder, and honestly in the current metagame Dark and Grass is really all the typing you need in order to cover most pokemon. Immediatly I noticed a distinct weakness to Stealth Rocks even with Drifblim, simply because Drifblim cannot even face common pokemon due to its common weaknesses such as Dark and Ghost. Instead, Shiftry forces out large portions of the metagame, getting it free defog opportunities, and yet like Cacturne can still exploit powerful attacks and good typing against Stealth Rock leads, but more importantly is much faster than Cacturne, allowing it to not always have to fall back on Sucker Punch as a crux and giving it more opportunities to use the far more reliable and crippling Knock Off.

The next thing that I would change is from Sneasel to Bulky Attacker Probopass. It seems that again, your team has difficulty fighting Fairy and Rock Types, which Probopass is a complete check to. The primary problem with Sneasel is that although it is a really good pokemon, it cannot be thrown on every team, and I feel it opens more holes for you than it patches. I feel that it gets worn down too quickly for your own good, and your team doesn't exactly support its amazing offensive capabilities well. Instead, I recommend Bulky Attacker Probopass, primarily because it helps to release pressure from stuff like BD Slurpuff by OHKO'ing it with a Flash Cannon, or help to beat Archeops who otherwise pressures you greatly. Probopass acts as a great pivot for Bulky Offensive teams like your own, and can help to relieve some of the weaknesses your team faces. I feel that you offer enough offensive pressure between your other pokemon that the loss of Sneasel shouldn't make you too weak!

Minor Changes:
Seismitoad: Run Timid to bait in and kill Adamant Shiftry, the most common variant.
Pyroar: Flamethrower > Dark Pulse as Dark Pulse is not only weak, but hits Ghosts just as hard as a STAB Fire Blast, making it rather useless coverage, and getting locked into such a poor move means you are far more easily setup on and you offer the opponent a free switch.
Drifblim: I reccomend trying AcroBlimp with Acrobatics / Will-O-Wisp / Substitute / Destiny Bond or Disable, as it is a amazing disrupter mid game and even a solid cleaner, and is far more effective than your current set at punching holes for teammates such as Mesprit!

Fun team!

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Defog

Probopass @ Air Balloon / Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull / Sturdy
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Earth Power / Power Gem / Thunder Wave
Thanks for the rate, Brawlfest! It's been a while >_>.

Honestly my first thought when I saw you suggest Probopass was "genius!" I don't really know why I didn't think to use it myself, because I used the thing all the time last generation. I guess I never used it without Stealth Rock, so I must have just not thought of it because I had Seismitoad. Thanks for that suggestion, it should be really helpful.

I'll try Shiftry out, because you know this meta far better than I. I just wish Cacturne was a bit faster lol... And learned Defog for some reason.

I assume you meant Fire Blast > Dark Pulse since I've been running Flamethrower anyway? The analysis said to use Dark Pulse, but like I mentioned in the OP I've yet to actually use the attack, so I'll try Fire Blast out.

What item do you suggest on Drifblim? Flying Gem is no longer available, which is what it used last generation.

Once again thanks for the rate and detailed explanations pointing out the flaws in the team. Is it sad that that was the best team I could come up with? :p

Thanks for the rate, Brawlfest! It's been a while >_>.

Honestly my first thought when I saw you suggest Probopass was "genius!" I don't really know why I didn't think to use it myself, because I used the thing all the time last generation. I guess I never used it without Stealth Rock, so I must have just not thought of it because I had Seismitoad. Thanks for that suggestion, it should be really helpful.

I'll try Shiftry out, because you know this meta far better than I. I just wish Cacturne was a bit faster lol... And learned Defog for some reason.

I assume you meant Fire Blast > Dark Pulse since I've been running Flamethrower anyway? The analysis said to use Dark Pulse, but like I mentioned in the OP I've yet to actually use the attack, so I'll try Fire Blast out.

What item do you suggest on Drifblim? Flying Gem is no longer available, which is what it used last generation.

Once again thanks for the rate and detailed explanations pointing out the flaws in the team. Is it sad that that was the best team I could come up with? :p
Sitrus Berry in tangent with Sub is great on drifblim!! <3

Also yeah the fire blast is what I meant I just assumed that was default lol.

Celever

i am town
Because Showdown was down just after I posted this on Friday, and I was busy yesterday I haven't yet had a chance to test these changes. I am doing so now, but as I clicked "start a battle" I got notified that Shiftry is now in RU. I will go ahead and put my Cacturne set in the OP back on the team, but I thought that I would bump this thread not only to get more rates, but to possibly get another replacement for Cacturne if you guys feel he's no good.

Tagging Brawlfest just because he was the one who suggested Shiftry and isn't a huge fan of Cacturne I think.

I also decided to put Defog over Disable on the Drifblim set, because my team really suffers from hazards without a way to remove them.

And I think I'll switch Seismitoad's nature back to Modest, because I don't think there's anything else it really needs to bait in and outspeed with Timid now?

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Welcome back Celever, it has been awhile :)

I did have a harder time than expected to try to fill a role similar to the cacturne set you listed. The problem with cacturne is that it really is too slow and not bulky enough to run an offensive set successfully, as liepard and sneasel fit the role better. Plus, being locked into CB sucker punch screams to me a poke that could easily set up on you once they realize the fact. It would also be nice to have another priority user on your team, but your team is quick enough that it isnt necessary. I think swords dance sceptile can work to replace cacturne. It is a really underprepared for poke, as most people would most likely assume it is the special varient, only to see the SD come your way. This poke could handle all of the pokes you mentioned that gave you problems that cacturne could handle, with the benefit of being much faster.

A couple of small changes I saw as well:
Sludge Bomb > Sludge Wave on seismitoad, as the 30% chance of poison will provide more damage than a move that only has 5 base power more and only a 10% of poison
Fire Blast > Dark Pulse as I dont really see any instance where you would use dark pulse over stab fire blast, and that added damage over flamethrower may be the difference. Also use timid > modest on pyroar, as the added speed is the main reason to use it over typhlosion.
Swords Dance > Low Kick on Sneasel, as low kick really won't do much more damage than what knock off would do except for regirock or steelix I guess, but they can just ohko back anyway. Swords Dance would offer another big threat if you get a free opportunity. If you run swords dance you could run lum berry or eviolite over life orb.

Sceptile @ No Item / Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow (Could go unburden with life orb if legal)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Leaf Blade
- Earthquake / Drain Punch

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
After using Probopass pretty extensively, I think I'm definitely going to keep it. It just has really good synergy with my team, and while I still lack a bit of offensive pressure it's not that crucial.

However, I'm not quite so sure on that Sceptile set. Cacturne is really my wallbreaker, and I just did a few calcs; it doesn't look like Sceptile is powerful enough. One of the things I love about Cacturne which I admittedly forgot to put in the OP was how it OHKOs Miltank and Audino with Superpower, and how it 3HKOs Steelix (very barely though, and as I tend to send Cacturne in later in the game it is a 2HKO usually) whereas Sceptile is a possible 5HKO without a Swords Dance, and a 3HKO after one. Sceptile also 2HKOs Miltank and only OHKOs Audino after Stealth Rock. The only thing I'm worried about is that if I add Sceptile I won't be able to pack the power against these Pokémon which really I need. However, I will try it and see how it works out.

I agree with all of your minor changes, though. It should be noted that I've been testing out and am replacing Sneasel with Probopass, which slows the team down a bit. More priority could be a good idea, but I'm unsure where to slip it in, as it involves a whole new Pokémon. Thanks for the rate though, Shuckleking87! It has been a while! :)

Oh, also, as Pyroar is Choice Scarf I don't think any common sets can outspeed it with a Modest Nature?

Last edited:
Nice team! I really like your use of uncommon threats like Drifblim and Cacturne. However, Choiced Sucker Punch is really dangerous for basically the same reason Slaking is terrible: it gives a free turn of setup (or two if you mispredict) to the opponent. I think Cacturne is underrated and has a lot of potential, especially with Shiftry out of the tier, but I just can't see the merit in a choice set. Have you considered Swords Dance? Swords Dance / Seed Bomb / Sucker Punch / Drain Punch | Superpower @ Life Orb or Lum seems like it could put in some work.

Hi, I don't have enough knowledge of the NU metagame to give your team a rate but I did notice that your Drifblim's EVs are pretty inefficient. Since it has a massive HP stat and subpar defense stats, it's actually better to invest EVs into its defenses if you want to invest in its bulk.
A spread of 168 Def / 88 SpDef / 252 Spe gives you both slightly better special bulk and significantly better physical bulk (Please note that there is likely a better defensive spread out there; this one simply balances your defenses. Feel free to invest towards any specific benchmark)

Anyways, here are some calcs to demonstrate:
252 SpA Mesprit Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Drifblim: 208-246 (41.2 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
vs.
252 SpA Mesprit Psychic vs. 0 HP / 88 SpD Drifblim: 180-213 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

and

252+ Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Drifblim: 305-360 (60.5 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
vs.
252+ Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 168 Def Drifblim: 230-270 (52.1 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Oh, also, as Pyroar is Choice Scarf I don't think any common sets can outspeed it with a Modest Nature?
Scarfed jynx, primeape and typhlosion all outspeed it. Adamant barbaracle after a shell smash also outspeeds modest pyroar, but not timid, which is pretty significant :) And it's probably better to invest in defenses like the above user said rather than hp. not sure exactly what spread, i guess find a poke that troubles team and see if you can live extra hit from it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)