Comedy

So Cookie posted a thread about satire. I love satire but I thought it would be interesting to get a discussion going on people's tastes in comedy. Comedians/ennes, Sitcoms, Panel shows etc.

What are your favourites and why, give an example of your favourite bit(s).

What do you dislike and why. Disclaimer:
No arguments over whether or not america's taste in humour is shit. Go to youtube if you want that.

Also for the record I still think Charlie Brooker's x-wipes are brilliant. His insights into the television industry are very interesting as well.

Comedians that I love are Dara O'Briain, Rhod Gilbert, Lee Mack, Jimmy Carr and Frankie Boyle. I've seen all of them live and they were fantastic. I like Russel Howard too but his Good News is feeling very tired.

Good clip from Rhod Gilbert and his Flaming Battenburg Tattoo show.

Sketch Shows that I really enjoy are Armstrong and Miller and That Mitchell and Webb Look. On the same wavelength I adore Peep Show and more importantly David Mitchell.

Panel shows. I still watch Mock the week when it's on and Have I got news for you (these both fall into Satire a little I guess). Though MTW will never be as good as when Frankie was on.

I'm a massive fan of Python and Fawlty Towers. Blackadder too and a bit of Fry and Laurie but they're on TV rarely unless you've got GOLD or DAVE on constantly and I watch Telly very little

Last edited:

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i feel like most of good news is russell howard doing the 'what's the deal with airline food' routine except he isn't jerry seinfeld

Sean Lock, Mitchell and Webb, Charlie Brooker and Jimmy Carr are perhaps my favorurite comedians to watch. Richard Ayoade had me in stitches during the IT Crowd, as well as on The Big Fat Quiz of the Year. His deadpan humour is priceless. I enjoy watching the Peep Show and 8 out of 10 cats, and the Inbetweeners.

Father Ted is (was) also great too.

Can't believe I forgot about the Inbetweeners. I was at their age round about when it first aired and god it was absolutely spot on. I forgot about IT crowd and Richard Ayoade.

The Mighty Boosh is another thing I enjoy. If more for it's surrealism than anything else.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Louis CK is my favourite comedian. Both his stand up and his show Louie are absolutely brilliant.
George Carlin rip

As far as British comedy goes, I really can't stand panel shows and unfortunately most of the British comedy circuit revolves around panel shows. I guess Russell Brand and Ross Noble are good. Dylan Moran is probably my favourite british comedian, I also like David O' Doherty.
Charlie Brooker is probably one of the most underrated comedians around. Every episode of screenwipe is excellent.
Also Tim Minchin if he counts <3

cookie

is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
dara o briain, jack dee, eddie izzard as well as seconding pretty much all of the above. Frankie Boyle was incredible before he left Mock the Week, which marked the point where most of his routine became shock (and hence lost its punch entirely)

tramadol nights was awful

2. words.

Peter. Kay.

Apologies for the terrible transcript coming up.

"Rich tea biscuits, oh don't get me started on rich tea biscuits...
They break off really easily and leave all that sh!t at the bottom of your cup.
'Muuum quick. Get a spoooon. Me Biccy's fallen in me brewwwww. 'Urry uppp; It's sinkinnng. (tries to get biscuit out with finger, retreats quickly with the heat) Arrr, bastarrdddd. 'Urry upp, it's sinki- y' t' latee, y' t' latee. It's sunk.' "

Funniest thing ever. Full Stop.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
There's already a thread for it, but Whose Line is it Anyways is a great show.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
pendleton ward is consistently funny in adventure time / bravest warriors.

as many have mentioned before that mitchell and webb look & peep show are both crazy good.

archer
stephen fry as a person - he makes me giggle
almost anything by tim and eric
detroit metal city - japanese comedy seems to do pathetic people and rape really well i guess
watching 4 seasons of kitchen nightmares then watching this -
garth marenghi's dark place (has richard aoyade for all you nuts out there)
black adder
a bit of fry & laurie - a very good sketch show summed up by intelligent people doing dumb things
regular show
workaholics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_II_Nextasy -

Last edited:

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Donald Glover is probably right up there with my favorite comedians. His half-hour special on Comedy Central presents is still my favorite stand-up act I've ever seen. It's funny though, because I never really liked 30 Rock, which he wrote for. Ralphie May is another favorite of mine.

One of my favorite bits from a comedian is from Paul F. Tompkins

I really love British comedy like Monty Python, Peter Cook & Dudley Moore, Rowan Atkinson, and Stephen Fry & Hugh Laurie. I'm not the biggest fan of comedy movies, because they tend to try to drag out a few jokes over 2 hours. The great comedy movies are those that aren't afraid to keep it short - the Marx Brothers' movies, for example, were generally 80-90 minutes long, a length you'd never find in modern movies.

cookie

is this thread a satire of the satire thread or something because we LITERALLY just had a fucking thread about it, jesus christ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)