fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Comfey

#764 - The Posy Picker Pokemon

Resists -

Weaknesses -

Immunities -

Ability 1 - Flower Veil -
Ally Grass-type Pokémon are protected from status conditions and the lowering of their stats.
Ability 2 - Triage - Healing moves have +3 Priority when used by this Pokémon.
Hidden Ability - Natural Cure -
The Pokémon’s status (BURN, PARALYZE, SLEEP, POISON, FREEZE) is healed when withdrawn from battle.
Stats - 51 HP / 52 Atk / 90 Def / 82 SpA / 110 SpD / 100 Spe (485 Total)
Level-Up Movepool
Lv 0 - Helping Hand
Lv 0 - Vine Whip
Lv 0 - Flower Shield
Lv 4 - Leech Seed
Lv 7 - Draining Kiss
Lv 10 - Magical Leaf
Lv 13 - Growth
Lv 16 - Wrap
Lv 19 - Sweet Kiss
Lv 22 - Natural Gift
Lv 25 - Petal Blizzard
Lv 28 - Synthesis
Lv 31 - Sweet Scent
Lv 34 - Grass Knot
Lv 37 - Floral Healing
Lv 40 - Petal Dance
Lv 43 - Aromatherapy
Lv 46 - Grassy Terrain
Lv 49 - Play Rough

TMs
TM04 Calm Mind
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM27 Return
TM32 Double Team
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM53 Energy Ball
TM56 Fling
TM63 Embargo
TM62 Acrobatics
TM77 Psych Up
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM92 Trick Room
TM96 Nature Power
TM99 Dazzling Gleam
TM100 Confide

Egg Moves
Endure
Amnesia
After You
Lucky Chant

New Moves
Floral Healing -
Heals up to 50% of maximum Hit Points. Heals 100% of maximum Hit Points in Grassy Terrain. Comfey cannot heal itself with this move, it can only target allies or opponents.

Overview
In Generation 6 we saw Florges and Sylveon competing to be the top cleric, Calm Mind user, and utility mon down in the UU tier. Well in Generation 7, the new challenger Comfey has entered the ring! Let's be real, when Comfey was released, I'm sure a lot of you thought it was going to be a bad mon. With closer inspection, Comfey has 2 amazing abilities being Natural Cure and Triage it can use effectively and interchangeably. Comfey looks to be a pretty niche utility mon in the OU tier being outclassed (sorta) by Clefable, Chansey and Tapu Fini. Despite the odds, Comfey has decent defenses with 51/90/110 to compliment its incredible support movepool and base 100 Speed. However, Comfey could have had a decent offensive presence with 82 SpA but, it lacks the offensive movepool to do so. Base 51 HP is also rather low for a mon centered around utility as well.

Potential Sets

Calm Mind
Comfey @ Leftovers / Big Root / Life Orb / Pixie Plate
Ability: Triage
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss / Dazzling Gleam
- Synthesis
- Taunt / Aromatherapy

Comfey has a trait that most other wincons do not have... access to Taunt alongside reliable recovery which should give it a niche in OU. The EVs remedy Comfey's low base HP and amps up its Defense since Calm Mind will boost its Special Defense already. Triage is the ability of choice because it gives Comfey priority healing. Draining Kiss can be used in conjunction with Triage for priority while Dazzling Gleam can be used if the player seeks more power. Big Root is another alternative to Leftovers since Comfey has priority Draining Kiss, it would be able to heal more then Leftovers. Synthesis is used for reliable recovery that can be utilized with Triage. The last slot is up to the player's choice, Taunt can be used to shut down opposing wincons such as Clefable and Suicune, while Aromatherapy amps up Comfey's utility with status removal.

Utility
Comfey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leech Seed
- Taunt
- Toxic / Aromatherapy / Synthesis
- U-Turn

This set maximizes Comfey's support movepool and incredible base Speed to cripple its foes. EVs in HP remedy its low base HP while 252 Spe and a speed boosting nature lets it speed tie with other base 100 Speed mons (Mega Charizards, Mega Medicham, Manaphy). With Natural Cure, Comfey becomes a reliable status absorber. Leech Seed gives Comfey some form of recovery while whittling down its foes with Toxic. Alternatively to Toxic, Aromatherapy can be used if you require status removal. Due to Comfey's Speed, it is able to cripple utility mons such as Tapu Fini, stallbreaker Gliscor and Mantine with Taunt. Lastly, U-Turn lets Comfey keep momentum by pivoting out into another mon if it find itself in a bad situation or if another mon can take advantage of Comfey's opponent.

Conclusion
While Comfey does appear to belong in the depths PU due to its design, the amount of utility and options it brings to the table says otherwise. Though it may be outclassed by other common utility mons and wincons in OU, Comfey will definitely be able to carve up a solid niche in the OU tier despite what tier it finds itself in. With 2 fantastic abilities as options, decent bulk, and an acceptable supportive move pool, Comfey will definitely be an interesting addition to the meta game.

Last edited:
Not the most exciting mon, but still solid. Can see it being good in UU. In the current meta +3 Prio Draining Kiss is really nice against Pheromosa too.

0 SpA Comfey Draining Kiss vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pheromosa: 198-234 (69.9 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
yeah I can see Comfey excelling in either UU or RU respectively. This is kinda bad news for Florges since Comfey is a pretty good competitor to its Calm Mind set.

I don't think this has a place in OU among the great steel types there(Heatran, Ferrothorn, Genesect, Skarmory, Celeesteel, Jirachi) all of whom beat it 1v1. However, this can be excellent in UU.

Comfey @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Floral Healing
- Aromatherapy

Essentially crocune. Set up to +6 and then Sweep with triage Draining kiss. Draining kiss keeps you healthy mid sweep and +3 priority means nothing really revenge kills.

I'm curious; does "healing moves" only apply to moves that heal HP, or does it also apply to Aromatherapy. Also, does Triage apply to Z-moves that heal HP, such as Z-Aromatherapy or even Z-Psych Up?

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
I'm curious; does "healing moves" only apply to moves that heal HP, or does it also apply to Aromatherapy. Also, does Triage apply to Z-moves that heal HP, such as Z-Aromatherapy or even Z-Psych Up?
Yep, Triage only applies to moves that heal HP (Draining Kiss, etc.) but not Aromatherapy. I'm not quite sure about whether Triage works on Z-Aromatherapy (good catch though). I'm assuming yes it does work because it counts as a heal but, consult this thread (unless someone has the answer). tbh I'd rather run Leftovers+Floral Healing and give the Z Crystal to somebody else :c

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
No...

Comfey is pretty awful. Priority healing means very little when you have such mediocre bulk, and you lack Wish to heal your teammates (at least Floral Healing works in doubles). Meanwhile Calm Mind sets look pretty terrible since it completely lacks in coverage to get around common Fairy checks, which will be everywhere of course. This is NU at best

I think the combination of U-turn and Trick Room is to be noted. Whimsicott is the only other fairy type with this combination (unless other fairy types have it this gen). Comfey can set trick room, take a hit while U-turning to something like Vikavolt.

It can also switch into Dark and Bug moves, which other trick room setters have difficulty with.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I woudln't be as quick to dismiss Comfey as some people apparently are. Priority Recovery is an absolute godsend since it lets it set up on and stall out faster Pokemon way more easily, and maks it much more difficult to pressure with offensive presence. A Clefable at 30% is basically dead, Comfey not so much, since it can stay in on something like Latios and start recovering (or just KO it, since Draining Kiss is priority on it). And of course, Taunt is just amazing for a CMer since it stops pretty much all forms of phazing, and with the burn nerf, it's not even going to mind Scald or Lava Plume burns much. Compared with Clefable, it handles stuff like Heatran, non-Iron Head Skarmory and of course opposing Clefable way better. Its base Speed lets it outspeed most defensive mons w/o much investement too, so it could be a pretty potent stallbreaker, all things considered. And of course, having priority on your own attack is the cherry on top, although it doesn't matter too much since Drainaing Kiss from a base 90 SpA is really weak.

Of course, Clefable is still going to mostly outclass it due to its slighly better bulk and how amazing Magic Guard is. But priority Recovery and Taunt should never be underestimated, just look at Sableye, which would be NU without its ability, and is a hell of a lot frailer than Comfey. It won't be OU, but it won't be completely unviable either.

Last edited:
in doubles and vgc comfey is pretty good, priority healing can keep your sweepers topped up. trolling your opponents hard as they are forced to choose between killing comfey or it's partner.

also i didn't know it gave draining kiss a priority as well, does that means giga drain is also priority from it??

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-483907039

Albacore made some major points but just a small replay with two bad teams to show what a wincon Comfey looks like

Comfey will definitely NOT be low tier. Just because Triage is similar to the ability of Talonflame: It gives Priority to a move not meant to have one(Draining Kiss <-> Brave Bird)

YES Brave Bird is much stronger, but the secondary effect of Draining Kiss is much better by comparison.

Don't forget: We use +2 Quick Attack to Sweep Enemies. Comfey's Draining Kiss has 50 Base Power :P

i was one of the people who judge this to be NU without trying it, and i decided to give it a try, and i discover that this little guy is actually nice, it's not something reaaaaaally good, cause you're not going to ko anything that doesn't take super efective(+2 can't KO dugtrio :d ) but it's going to be a somewhat nice late-game cleaner tnks to nice bulk+priority attack+taunt+priority recovery, being able to easly revange kill phemorosa(if this shit stays in the tier for some weird reason), mega lop, greninja, zygarde 10%, and non boosting special atackers that can let you set-up.
i got three nice replays with this(actually my 3 first battles with this team, if you want to give me tips to make the team better i can take them)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-484235811
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-484238794
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-484245830

Last edited:
Although it is not the MOST useful thing, it is good to remember that little things like Leech Seed are more beneficial on full defence than on defense and HP. With all the Def and SpDef EV's, you have time to set up Leech Seed which can be a nuisance depending who you fight. People think too much about Comfey as support, but Comfey is really good at self sustain which doesn't need wish. Taking low damage and healing it with Synth, Leech Seed, and Kiss can be quite useful in the right circumstances. Taunt can also help keep them from breaking you down.
I do enjoy him in doubles too though, not only because Comfey can heal teammates, but also because seed on two enemies while your second pokemon traps them does decent damage AND keeps Comfey alive. Getting 2/8th of the enemies hp every turn while you tank on a stall team can be fun.

I feel like LO should be used on comfey due to natural synergy with draining kiss, while also making mono-attacking sets hit harder for minimal cost. Heres a more offensive version of the most common florges set in UU:

Comfey @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aromatherapy
- Synthesis
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss

still switches into the things that florges is wanted for, such as hydreigon, conkeldurr, band heracross, but due to triage the slightly lower def is made up for with prio healing- heracross cant spam its stabs anyway thanks to missing or lowering its own stats, same with stone edge. against fighting types that threaten you with their coverage like conk, you can outheal them with draining kiss.

on the other hand, you have also now got a cleric for the team, a boosting wincon, potential priority sweeper and a revenge killer. at +1, draining kiss can ohko a lot of fairy-weak UU mons like krook, mega sceptile, mienshao, hera, etc.
having an additional source of healing to mitigate synthesis' 8pp also is useful

i like this mon's movepool in general though. it has cool options with taunt, leech seed, and u-turn, while also having great speed for a defensively inclined mon. a defensive mon that easily outspeeds and taunts suicune while shrugging off burns is very useful in UU also. im equally tempted by a modest 252 spa life orb set, so im excited to see where it settles after the meta calms down

Considering Comfey's low HP and the priority 75% drain of Draining Kiss, would Big Root be a viable choice over Leftovers? With Big Root, Draining Kiss heals 97.5% of the damage dealt, and at the start of the turn instead of at the end. Combined with the Big Root boost to Leech Seed, how difficult would it be for Root+Kiss+Seed to outheal Lefties+Kiss+Seed, or even just Root+Kiss versus Lefties+Kiss?

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Considering Comfey's low HP and the priority 75% drain of Draining Kiss, would Big Root be a viable choice over Leftovers? With Big Root, Draining Kiss heals 97.5% of the damage dealt, and at the start of the turn instead of at the end. Combined with the Big Root boost to Leech Seed, how difficult would it be for Root+Kiss+Seed to outheal Lefties+Kiss+Seed, or even just Root+Kiss versus Lefties+Kiss?
holy frick I never even thought of that, good idea

Has anybody tested the viability of a set with Leech Seed replacing Synthesis, and Big Root replacing Leftovers? Is that too gimmicky? Just wondering whether it's worth it to swap them out for the others.

Has anybody tested the viability of a set with Leech Seed replacing Synthesis, and Big Root replacing Leftovers? Is that too gimmicky? Just wondering whether it's worth it to swap them out for the others.
i don't tink that leech seed over synthesis is that gimmick, it's more damage to the enemy to deal with(even boosted draining kiss is too weak), and shyntesis have some problems in a meta with tons of wheater(bar sun :d ).

Leftovers heals every single turn and Big Root is only increasing a small percent of the damage you actually do. You won't be dealing that much, or any damage every turn while Leftovers healing is more reliable. If anything you'd be better off running Pixie Plate or w/e the Fairy boosting item is so you deal 20% more damage and get a healing boost. Unless you want to boost damage over the cost of healing, then run Life Orb. It could be pretty funny seeing a CM Comfey sweep out of nowhere. Sad its base power and base stats are so weak.

But really Leftovers is best.

Leftovers heals every single turn and Big Root is only increasing a small percent of the damage you actually do. You won't be dealing that much, or any damage every turn while Leftovers healing is more reliable. If anything you'd be better off running Pixie Plate or w/e the Fairy boosting item is so you deal 20% more damage and get a healing boost. Unless you want to boost damage over the cost of healing, then run Life Orb. It could be pretty funny seeing a CM Comfey sweep out of nowhere. Sad its base power and base stats are so weak.

But really Leftovers is best.
Its really not that weak looking at it solely as a priority user tho. Its priority hits 25% harder than the common 40BP prios, so it hits as hard as a 115 offense stat using a 40BP move. With a LO and a boost, thats enough to ohko fairy-weak pokemon, plus its also healing for 75%. It can easily clean a weakened team

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-484482447

Okay, so I made a calculator in Desmos that compares the HP healed by Lefties+Kiss(+Seed) and Root+Kiss(+Seed).
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/x9uerbvp7p

Here are a few calculations (keep in mind that Comfey has a maximum HP of 306):
Leftovers: 61 (103 w/ Leech Seed)
Big Root: 55 (110 w/ Leech Seed)

Leftovers: 61/111
Big Root: 55/120

Leftovers: 50/100
Big Root: 41/106

Leftovers: 82/124
Big Root: 82/137

Leftovers: 82/132
Big Root: 82/140

Leftovers: 69/119
Big Root: 65/130

Leftovers: 115/159
Big Root: 125/183

Leftovers: 49/94
Big Root: 39/97

Leftovers: 63/108
Big Root: 58/116

Leftovers: 181/217
Big Root: 211/258

Leftovers: 29/69
Big Root: 13/65

Leftovers: 34/74
Big Root: 20/72

All of these are using a non-Modest Comfey with no EVs in Special Attack. From what I can gather, Leftovers are better on more defensive variants or on variants without Leech Seed, while Big Root is better on more offensive variants or on variants with Leech Seed.

Okay, so I made a calculator in Desmos that compares the HP healed by Lefties+Kiss(+Seed) and Root+Kiss(+Seed).
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/x9uerbvp7p

Here are a few calculations (keep in mind that Comfey has a maximum HP of 306):
Leftovers: 61 (103 w/ Leech Seed)
Big Root: 55 (110 w/ Leech Seed)

Leftovers: 61/111
Big Root: 55/120

Leftovers: 50/100
Big Root: 41/106

Leftovers: 82/124
Big Root: 82/137

Leftovers: 82/132
Big Root: 82/140

Leftovers: 69/119
Big Root: 65/130

Leftovers: 115/159
Big Root: 125/183

Leftovers: 49/94
Big Root: 39/97

Leftovers: 63/108
Big Root: 58/116

Leftovers: 181/217
Big Root: 211/258

Leftovers: 29/69
Big Root: 13/65

Leftovers: 34/74
Big Root: 20/72

All of these are using a non-Modest Comfey with no EVs in Special Attack. From what I can gather, Leftovers are better on more defensive variants or on variants without Leech Seed, while Big Root is better on more offensive variants or on variants with Leech Seed.
Again though, the more defense you've poured into Comfey instead of max hp, the more beneficial Leech Seed is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)