1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Community-Create-a-Metagame

Discussion in 'Other Metagames' started by Frog, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frog

Frog

Community Create a Metagame:
    As anybody that has any experience with other metagames is aware, creating a metagame by yourself and attempting to make it more than theoretical is quite difficult. Many people attempt to make their own "pet" metagames and while many of those want to just have fun, those interested in making their metagame played and official are struck with a real challenge. The goal of this thread is to create a new metagame that is successful. This is not my metagame more than it is any of yours and I do not have any idea what this will turn into.

That being said I have to lay down some guidelines so this can work:
    1.) The metagame will be based off of standard overused. This will attract more players than any other tier spin-off and is manageable unlike a tier for all pokemon.
    2.) The goal is to make as few changes to the metagame while making the metagame as desirable as possible to play. We want to make it "ideal" Also too many rules may turn off a lot of users.

I have come up with a process for this to attempt to make it as successful as possible:
    1.) Define ideal version of the overused metagame
    2.) Brainstorm as to what we must do in order to do this
    3.) Finalize and write up a summary of what we decided in step 2

4.) Create a mod of pokemon showdown! that features the metagame

5.) Edit the metagame to perfection

6.) Continue to spread love for the metagame so it eventually becomes popular enough to be official

I know all of this is very ambitious, but I think if we work together it can be done.

Things to keep in mind:

The #1 problem is other metagames is attention. Spread this project by putting it in your signature or location*. Pocket did an excellent job of this for Smogon Doubles.

The idea behind this thread is not to necessarily bring all fantasies to life but to create an easy to play and learn metagame.

Without further ado,

What is the ideal overused metagame? What must be done in order to make it more fun to play? What must be done in order to make it stable?

*how do you get text that reads something but is actually a URL you can click on in your signature??
  2. Present

Present

An ideal metagame is one where everything is just as viable as the rest. This will most likely prove to be impossible to achieve, as some pokemon were intended to be better than others. Even then, ideal might mean that no pokemon has to be baneed / no pokemon is broken. Still, ideal might vary on desired playstyles too. Ideally, every playstyle must be as usable as others, which can be even harder to achieve, seeing as most 'user' metagames tend to give pokemon a lot of power and coverage, overshadowing defensive playstyles. Some people view weather is desirable, others as undesirable, so that might prove to be a problem in establishing an ideal metagame.

Making a metagame more fun to play is very personal. This will msot likely have to do with making the metagame balanced, so everyone can use anything they like to good success. Granted, that will not be able without a lot of changes.

On your last question, you can add links by using the blue globe button that says insert link. You can use that to assign a link to given text.
  3. Frog

Frog

Thansk for getting on board with this and helping me with my retarded problem which should be fixed now.
  4. ThisMysteriousGuy

ThisMysteriousGuy

Let's get one thing straight: I have a different philosophy from many other people in the site. My philosophy is that an ideal metagame is one that people have the most fun with. Yes, the sense of "fun" is pretty subjective, but generally the most "fun" tiers are balanced and have many many viable threats. Yet there is something about them that keeps them from going stale. We really don't all Pokemon to be equal in quality, do we? That would be rather boring. We need a way to differentiate some threats from others. If that means we need to make some threats a little more powerful than others, then so be it. If it ends up being broken, we could just ban it instead of having to equalize it in order to shake up the metagame a little. As long as the people playing the meta are having fun, it will be fine,
  5. UltiMario

UltiMario

Well, I might as well bring this up since someone made a thread about it.

I've been working on the beginnings of a metagame project for awhile now. It's certainly a slow process to do, I've been working for weeks now to begin a new metagame project as professionally as possible, and it's at best 15% done at this point.

Not going to go into anymore detail than that unless this thread takes off, though.
  6. Arcticblast

Arcticblast
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner

This was not approved by myself or Birkal (well, it doesn't appear as if he did, and I surely didn't). Please read the Other Metagames rules. If you'd like this to be reopened, please send me a PM and we can work things out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)