1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Competitive NU Team

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by ghh, Jan 7, 2013.

1. ghh

ghh

Hello readers, this is my first RMT that I wish to present to you. I recently ranked 98 on the Pokemon Showdown NU ladder, which was my goal with the team (just to rank, not 98). I am a decent player who's taken this team quite far in my opinion, and I'm sharing it in the hopes you good players can improve on what I have and maximise its true potential :) So here we go:

[pimg]377[/pimg]
    Regirock @ Leftovers
    Trait: Clear Body
    EV's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Careful Nature

-Stealth Rock
    -Stone Edge
    -Drain Punch
    -Thunder Wave

It all started with Regirock. After testing many SR users, Regirock came out on top as my favourite, and is the first addition to this team. SR is useful as we all know, and is a good support to this team. Regirock functions as a great physical wall, due to his titanic 200 defense. Because of this, I felt no need to invest extra Def EV's. Stone Edge for STAB power. Drain Punch has proven so useful for extra survival and damage, and T Wave on switches such as Ludicolo round off his support quite nicely.

[pimg]315[/pimg]
    Roselia @ Eviolite
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EV's: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
    Calm Nature

-Sleep Powder
    -Giga Drain
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Spikes

I needed a poke to take care of Regirock's weaknesses, and with the departure of Amoonguss and arrival of Roselia, I decided this was the perfect opportunity to try her out. She tanks a SpAtk on the switch, and takes the opportunity to set up. There were many opportunities I could find to send her in and really pressure the opponent with hazards. Toxic Spikes if the opposing team is more defensive or Spikes if it's more offensive to hurt the constant switching I can force with my walls and other pokes. Sleep Powder because it's good, but not always reliable. Giga Drain off dat 100 SpA.

That was my defensive core I first established, now I needed a SpAtk core.

[pimg]272[/pimg]
    Ludicolo @ Life Orb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EV's: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Spd
    Modest Nature

-Rain Dance
    -Surf
    -Giga Drain
    -Ice Beam

Ludicolo, the star player of this team. This guy ALWAYS puts in work. With only 2 weaknesses in Bug and Flying moves, you can find lots of opportunities to send him in on resisted/neutral attacks and set up a Rain Dance and sweep the floor. My favourite thing to do is send him in on Alomomola, and I know that he's gonna take something down. Sometimes you can even Giga Drain for an OHKO since he may want to Toxic you. Surf because I missed too much with Hydro Pump. Ice Beam for Grass Types, such as Roselia. Standard set.

[pimg]503[/pimg]
    Samurott @ Life Orb
    Trait: Torrent
    EV's: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
    Modest Nature

-Surf
    -Taunt
    -HP Grass
    -Ice Beam

I chose Samurott because he has nice bulk and complements well with Rain Dance. I chose Taunt over Megahorn for Ludicolos because Braviary was troubling me with his SubBU set, and it works nicely for walls too. I use my own Ludicolo for Ludicolo. Ice Beam for Grass. I chose speed EV's over HP because the loss of speed was really hurting and I couldn't get enough moves in. His main use is a general powerhouse and wallbreaker.

Now I needed a physical core to balance my team.

[pimg]623[/pimg]
    Golurk @ Choice Band
    Trait: Iron Fist
    EV's: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 SpD
    Adamant Nature

-Shadow Punch
    -Ice Punch
    -Drain Punch
    -Earthquake

At first I used Marowak as my physical powerhouse, but I realised with how important my entry hazards were, I needed a spinblocker who could also put huge dents into the enemy. And I stumbled upon this guy. Surprisingly bulky and with 3 immunities, can find good moments to switch in and really hurt something, such as Volt Switchers e.g. Scarf Electabuzz. I chose Choice Band because he normally only stays in for one hit before I need to switch out. Works as a great check to choiced Sawk, but be very wary of Ice Punch. Oh and he is pretty good against Musharna.

[pimg]128[/pimg]
    Tauros @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EV's: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature

-Earthquake
    -Rock Slide
    -Rock Climb
    -Zen Headbutt

Tauros, the old bull, still alive and kicking. I realised I needed a speedy attacker with coverage options so I chose him. Works well with Golurk to absorb Shadow Balls and retaliate with Zen Headbutt and Rock Slide for Haunter and Drifblim respectively. I chose Rock Climb for max power, but the miss really hurt me sometimes. His main use was finishing off weakened teams. He did a decent job but I felt there could've been a better option.

Thank you so much if you've read this far :)

So let's have a recap. The overall strategy I used was setting up rocks if possible and finding/forcing an opportunity to set up any form of spikes, then damaging the team with bulky attackers. You'll notice there's not much frailty around. Most of these pokemon can tank an unboosted hit or two and deal much more in return. You can also force switches and put a lot of pressure on them with big hits and hazard damage.

I felt along the way that Tauros and Samurott did the least amount of work and I toyed a bit about replacing them but they hung on.

Let me know what you guys think and please do try it, it's a pretty fun team in my opinion. I'll leave an import so you can test it on Pokemon Showdown or elsewhere :)

Show Hide
    Regirock @ Leftovers
    Trait: Clear Body
    EV's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Careful Nature
    -Stealth Rock
    -Stone Edge
    -Drain Punch
    -Thunder Wave

Roselia @ Eviolite
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EV's: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
    Calm Nature
    -Sleep Powder
    -Giga Drain
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Spikes

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EV's: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Spd
    Modest Nature
    -Rain Dance
    -Surf
    -Giga Drain
    -Ice Beam

Samurott @ Life Orb
    EV's: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
    Modest Nature
    -Surf
    -Taunt
    -HP Grass
    -Ice Beam

Golurk @ Choice Band
    Trait: Iron Fist
    EV's: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    -Shadow Punch
    -Ice Punch
    -Drain Punch
    -Earthquake

Tauros @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EV's: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide
    -Rock Climb
    -Zen Headbutt

Edit: Don't know why it's showing Jellicent and Rotom-W.
  2. ium

ium hundefreund
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

regirock / roselia / ludicolo / samurott / golurk / tauros

the biggest problem i see on this team is that you're very weak to sawsbuck. even without a swords dance, it threatens so many things on your team between horn leech and double-edge. however, after a swords dance, it becomes even deadlier by being able to KO pretty much anything you have while tauros is the only pokemon able to naturally outspeed and revenge kill it. in addition, you have a few problems with certain psychic-types considering golurk is your biggest check and cannot switch into attacks all too well.

i think using a double water-type core is pretty neat, but a physical samurott would be great to cover the other side of the spectrum. while ludicolo can handle tangela pretty well with ice beam, a physical samurott can swords dance and OHKO roselia at +2 while possibly being very threatening to the opponent afterwards. the change over to a physical samurott could give you some other benefits too. you absolutely have no priority user in your team, but having an aqua jet backed up by decent power can prove to be crucial in some situations. at the same time, megahorn can be useful for nailing certain psychic-types and opposing ludicolo switch-ins as well.

next off, while golurk is quite powerful for your team, especially with a choice band, i think using acrobatics drifblim would be neat. it still acts as a ghost-type you're looking for; it can spinblock and provide an immunity to fighting-type attacks from the likes of sawk. however, the main reason to use drifblim is because it's an excellent answer to sawsbuck, being resistant or immune to all its common attacks. in addition, drifblim can utilize will-o-wisp to cripple certain threats as well as disable or destiny bond to help deal with the likes of substitute + bulk up braviary, gurdurr trying to ice punch, and some calm mind psychic-types. even though a drifblim utilizing only one attack may seem a little irritating since rock- and steel-types could switch in rather easily, you already have samurott and ludicolo to threaten them, so i think it works out fine.

in addition, there are a few small adjustments that need to be made on your current pokemon. the biggest thing here is that sleep powder and spikes are illegal on roselia. therefore, i think the best set to be using is spikes / synthesis / giga drain / sludge bomb. synthesis is important for roselia's longevity since it can switch into the likes of alomomola and tangela rather easily and would like to do that consistently throughout a match. spikes is great to have for consistent damage all the time, especially since the suggested drifblim tends to force a lot of switches while sludge bomb also hits grass-types like the tangela i mentioned. lastly, there are also a few changes to natures that should be made, such as adamant on regirock, timid on ludicolo, and jolly on physical samurott. for regirock, i really don't know how a careful nature helps it at all in specific situations; you might as well just maximize overall damage output. the changes to positive speed natures on the water-types are only because they sit at base 70, which is a very important speed tier. you really want to be speed-tying with opposing ludicolo and samurott who may as well be carrying the threatening giga drain and megahorn, respectively, to OHKO your own. ludicolo and samurott honestly don't miss out on much power from switching natures either.

summary:
    adamant careful regirock / synthesis & sludge bomb sleep powder & toxic spikes roselia / timid modest ludicolo / jolly physical special samurott / drifblim golurk / tauros

sets (open)
    [​IMG] Samurott @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
    Jolly Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Megahorn
    - Aqua Jet

[​IMG] Drifblim @ Flying Gem
    Trait: Unburden
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
    Jolly Nature
    - Substitute
    - Acrobatics
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Disable / Destiny Bond

i'm rating this quite late at night, so if i'm really unclear about anything, hopefully it can be picked up by myself or some other rater some other time.
  3. ghh

ghh

Hey ium, there's some useful advice on board, I've only seen sawsbuck once but it was a bit troubling, had to kill it via entry hazards and was a close call.

I like the idea of physical Samurott, the main reason I made it a SpA was so I can deal with Alomomola easier since it can tank even the SD set, unless I'm missing something. I haven't had to use much priority but it could prove useful.

The only thing I don't like about Drifblim is his frailty and weakness to SR, it's still the same mindgame with Sawk predicting with Ice Punch. The Will'O'Wisp is appealing though, and Gurdurr carries Guts most of the time I found, but I have answers to Gurdurr already.

I'll make the minor adjustments, I agree with those changes. I'll do some testing and see how that goes.
  4. Raseri

Raseri here to help
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    NU Co-Leader

Regirock / Roselia / Ludicolo / Samurott / Golurk / Tauros

sry for stealing your format ium, its just really helpful to not look back at the team every minute :)

OK well the biggest issue with your team is that your Roselia set is illegal. There is no way to get Spikes and Sleep Powder on the same Roselia in game, Although Showdown might allow it, using it just isn't cool :).

Now, when I look for weaknesses on your team, Fire-types really stand out as threats. Particularly Sunny Day Charizard, who can roast Regirock with Solarbeam. But even without Solarbeam your team will fall to repeated onslaughts.

Now, Stealth Rock may be able to cripple Charizard, but spinning against your team isn't that hard, Shell Smash Torkoal can boost against Roselia and OHKO Golurk with Fire Blast. There are other huge threats to your team, anything with a strong special attack that can threaten Roselia can hurt your team. So Swanna is also a big issue, as it can hit Regirock super effectively and outspeed your whole team bar Regirock.

When I look for a weak link on your team, Roselia stands out. Without the illegal combination, she is pretty expendable. You don't really need the Spikes support that badly, and she really compounds weaknesses for your team. I believe that a Specially Defensive Lickilicky would work great in that spot instead. Lickilicky is better for this team than Roselia for a few reasons:

• ability to beat big threats like Charizard and Roselia, which Roselia fails against
    • Wish support is something your team will really appreciate, giving your sweepers a second chance
    • Body Slam is weak, but the paralysis chance is enough to keep it offensively relevant
    • Licki can also act as a cleric for your team. Trust me when I say that half of your team hates status. Heal Bell support will be far more useful than Spikes.
    • It can even check the super annoying Swag Liepard running around :)

The set that I believe would be best is:

[​IMG]
    Lickilicky @ Leftovers
    Trait: Own Tempo
    EV's: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
    Careful Nature

-Heal Bell
    -Body Slam
    -Wish
    -Protect

Other than that I agree with all of ium's minor suggestions, like Timid on Ludicolo and Adamant on Regirock.

tl;dr (open)

Lickilicky > Roselia

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)