XY OU Competitive Team

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to rate my team. I have been testing this team for several days now. My friend and I constructed this team to counter the 5 S-Class Pokemon. Although this team has had decent success, there are obviously significant flaws. By bringing it here, I hope to receive constructive criticism as well as positive feedback on its play-ability, synergy, and other major details. Here are some notable features I have discovered during testing:

Pros:
-Good type coverage
-Good balance between offense and defense
-Volt-Turn control tactic opens up opportunities to gain advantages

Cons:
-Mega Venusaur (with HP Fire) is a nearly perfect counter
-Choice Scarf Landorus-T is very strong against it
-Entry Hazards are detrimental late game without Defog or Rapid Spin
-Very susceptible to Will-O-Wisp

Here is the team:

Azumarill (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Azumarill is a great revenge killer as well as a bulky bruiser. He is a reliable counter against most dragons. I prefer Leftovers over Choice Band so that he can sustain his HP to late game and heal back residual damage from entry hazards. I have also considered that he is not meant to stay in long, so Choice Band may be the preferred item.

Garchomp (M) @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor

I am not a fan of this Pokemon in competitive, but my friend insisted that we test him. Mixed Mega Chomp has been very successful in confusing others, notably Fire Blast against Ferrothorns. Although Mixed Chomp is not unheard of, it has had a history of lackluster sweep potential without boosted stats. In this team, his role is to both confuse the opponent and, simply put, hit things hard.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 68 SpA / 190 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Zapdos serves as the team's Special Defense wall. Its EV spread is made specifically to counter Landorus-T with max HP. After Landorus-T takes Stealth Rocks damage, HP Ice has a 100% chance to 2HKO. I have considered replacing Heat Wave with Toxic, but HW has shown to be useful against Steel types. Can the raters please specify whether Zapdos should have Toxic, HW, or a different move in this case?

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed

Ferrothorn serves as the Defense Wall for this team. He is also the only utility Pokemon. I believe his presence is mostly self-explanatory.

Mienshao (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Mienshao is a favorite of mine as well as my friend's. He 100% OHKO Ferrothorns, granted that High Jump Kick does not miss, has great harass and revenge kill potential with Fake Out, and deals significant damage overall. What truly makes Mienshao viable is Regenerator. Even with residual Life Orb damage and possible damage from HJK missing, Regenerator allows him to stay healthy, especially with U-Turn.

Gengar (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Gengar is the Special Sweeper. My friend and I disputed a little over whether he should have Choice Specs or Life Orb. I personally opt for Life Orb; however, CS does provide more damage, comparably LO providing 1.2x and CS 1.5x. Since CS does more damage with no HP cost, I decided to give it a try. I am not a fan of being limited to one attacking move, but the damage output has proven to be very reliable.

That concludes the information about my current XY OU Competitive Team. Once again, thank you for taking the time to rate my team, and I look forward to reading your responses.

Hey, nice team. Here are my suggestions:

Mixed Mega Garchomp is interesting.....but there are a lot of better options out there. I suggest MegaZard X, arguably XY OU's best Mega Evo and an amazing mon in general. Try this set:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Next, if you run the Zard X set I suggested, run Defog over HP Ice to ensure that you Volt-turn can run smoothly.

Lastly, Specs Gengar is very easy to switch into and forces you to switch Gengar to change move. I suggest a Utility Attacker set or SubSplit Set. Here are the sets:

Utility Attacker:

Gengar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 28 HP / 148 SpA / 80 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Disable / Sludge Wave

SubSplit:

Gengar @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Hope it helps!
-PK

btw, nice profile pic, I love that show

I love that Mienshao. That thing is so underrated.. Fake Out, U-Turn, then Regenerator.
Azumarill has three sets that are used very often. They are Belly Drum, Choice Band, and Assault Vest, respectively. Healing up is great, while Azumarill usually uses an Assault Vest for the moves you chose. If you'd like a Choice Band set, That works great too.
Azumarill @ Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
I recommend this set to almost every single RMT in this forum.. Yes, it is THAT good. The spread is for the Stealth Rock number.
Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Waterfall
This will outspeed minimum speed Skamory. When running an Assault Vest, Knock Off if recommended since it's going to stay in for a while. However, if you are running a Choice Band, Superpower will give a lot of coverage. You already have a pokemon with Knock Off in your team, too.

Running Specs on a Gengar is not recommended. If you want a Specs abuser, Keldeo is a monster on that. It deals with Landorus-T, too. Or, you can use a Life Orb Landorus to deal with Mega Venusaur. Both will do the job you wanted.
Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Flying]
This one won't be able to beat Mega Venusaur though..
Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus can run Sludge Wave, or Knock Off instead for the last slot. It can also run a Rock Polish set, too. This will do almost everything that you expected from your Gengar, and better for many cases. I just put a HP Ice since you mentioned Lando-T.
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 263-309 (72.2 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Landorus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 380-447 (99.4 - 117%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
This will do.

Last but not the least, since your team doesn't have any form of hazard removal, running Defog instead of Hidden Power on Zapdos is recommended. If you can't make that choice, an alternative is switching the last slot(a.k.a. the special attacker slot, which Gengar is sitting on) for a Lati@s with Defog.

Heat Wave has a ton of coverage. It's great for Zapdos.

If that's your Lando-T lure, that's fine, and switching out Heat Wave to Defog is recommended.

Last edited:
Hey, nice team. Here are my suggestions:

Mixed Mega Garchomp is interesting.....but there are a lot of better options out there. I suggest MegaZard X, arguably XY OU's best Mega Evo and an amazing mon in general. Try this set:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Next, if you run the Zard X set I suggested, run Defog over HP Ice to ensure that you Volt-turn can run smoothly.

Lastly, Specs Gengar is very easy to switch into and forces you to switch Gengar to change move. I suggest a Utility Attacker set or SubSplit Set. Here are the sets:

Utility Attacker:

Gengar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 28 HP / 148 SpA / 80 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Disable / Sludge Wave

SubSplit:

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Hope it helps!
-PK

btw, nice profile pic, I love that show
Hey, thanks for the suggestions on Charizard and Gengar. I will definitely give that Zard X set a try.

Mahouka is my favorite anime! I've been reading the manga since 2012. Been a fan for awhile :D

I love that Mienshao. That thing is so underrated.. Fake Out, U-Turn, then Regenerator.
Azumarill has three sets that are used very often. They are Belly Drum, Choice Band, and Assault Vest, respectively. Healing up is great, while Azumarill usually uses an Assault Vest for the moves you chose. If you'd like a Choice Band set, That works great too.
Azumarill @ Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
I recommend this set to almost every single RMT in this forum.. Yes, it is THAT good. The spread is for the Stealth Rock number.
Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Waterfall
This will outspeed minimum speed Skamory. When running an Assault Vest, Knock Off if recommended since it's going to stay in for a while. However, if you are running a Choice Band, Superpower will give a lot of coverage. You already have a pokemon with Knock Off in your team, too.

Running Specs on a Gengar is not recommended. If you want a Specs abuser, Keldeo is a monster on that. It deals with Landorus-T, too. Or, you can use a Life Orb Landorus to deal with Mega Venusaur. Both will do the job you wanted.
Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Flying]
This one won't be able to beat Mega Venusaur though..
Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus can run Sludge Wave, or Knock Off instead for the last slot. It can also run a Rock Polish set, too. This will do almost everything that you expected from your Gengar, and better for many cases. I just put a HP Ice since you mentioned Lando-T.
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 263-309 (72.2 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Landorus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 380-447 (99.4 - 117%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
This will do.

Last but not the least, since your team doesn't have any form of hazard removal, running Defog instead of Hidden Power on Zapdos is recommended. If you can't make that choice, an alternative is switching the last slot(a.k.a. the special attacker slot, which Gengar is sitting on) for a Lati@s with Defog.
Heat Wave has a ton of coverage. It's great for Zapdos.
If that's your Lando-T lure, that's fine, and switching out Heat Wave to Defog is recommended.
I appreciate all the information listed. The Assault Vest Azumarill looks nasty, and I'll give it a go. Sheer Force Landorus also looks much more promising than Gengar for this team. For now, I'll give Zapdos Defog over Heat Wave and see how it goes; I'll keep in mind that Lati@s is an option as well. Thank you! ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)