XY Ubers competitive ubers team

this is a team that i have been using to quite some success. this team is quite bulky and some of the pokemon used arent commonly seen in ubers. this team also has quite some nice synergy imo.
i was able to get to at least 1500 on the ladder using it but my rank fluctuates quite a bit, since this isnt the only team i use.

Tyranitar-Mega (M) @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Low Kick
- Dragon Dance

this tyranitar isnt meant for sweeping but it can sweep when given the chance because of dragon dance. tyranitar has fantastic mixed bulk.
  • its bulkier than groudon.
  • its uninvested special defense in the sand is virtually equal to a fully specially defense invested kyogre.
  • dragon dance gives t-tar a sweeping opportunity when the opponent has a undesirable matchup, like if they have rayquaza in or something weak to t-tar(insert deoxys form that usually doesnt run taunt.)
  • t-tar counters ho oh as t-tars stone edge kills even when burned.
  • low kick is there to check arceus, dialga
  • both charizard variants are effectively checked as stone edge KOs both of them. t-tar only has to watch out for focus blast when it comes to zard y, which can kill if it is modest.
  • this t-tar set can realistically check aegislash but will have to play mindgames with kings shield.
  • tyranitar can pressure lugia and one on one, toxic stall will fail since t-tar cant be fazed out with whirlwind after using dragon dance.
  • t-tar hard counters yveltals that dont run focus blast.
  • with the given EVs, tyranitar can survive a water spout from scarfed ogre in the sand and weaken it with either stone edge or crunch.
  • heatran is 2HKOd by low kick.
  • t-tar has decent type synergy with cresselia with tyranitar covering its dark weakness while cresselia covers its fighting and ground weakness.
  • last of all, t-tar counters both reshiram and kyurem white.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Moonlight

cresselia is for slowing down sweepers and it has fantastic mixed bulk which enables it to do so.
0 atk ivs are to minimize foul play damage.
  • thunder wave cripples arceus, xerneas, rayquaza and basically any pokemon that relies on their speed to fulfill their role. t-wave also forces mega kangaskhan to rely on sucker punch due to the speed loss.
  • cresselia counters mega blaziken.
  • ice beam is so cresselia can at least damage rayquaza, zekrom and shaymin.
  • cresselia 2 shots gliscor with ice beam
  • cresselia checks both variants of mewtwo, slowing both down with t-wave. mewtwo X is flat out walled. cresselia walls mewtwo y as well but cresselia has to watch out for the occasional shadow ball which will take out around half of its health, but leftovers makes it a 3hko
  • cresselia also forms an excellent core with groudon. in the sun, moonlight restores 67% of cresselias health making it near unkillable with out powerful stabbed super effective attacks.

Yveltal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Dark Aura
Relaxed Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Dark Pulse
- Foul Play

yveltal is an excellent tank with bulk that surpasses skarmory with great typing. yveltal has recovery with oblivion wing, so assault vest makes it a great mixed tank.

• yveltal check arceus rather easily as foul play OHKOs it after an SD after even a little bit of prior damage.
  • yveltal completely obliterates both versions of mega mewtwo, even stalltwo. foul play cleanly OHKOs mewtwo y while oblivion wing cleanly 2HKOs mega mewtwo X.
  • a thunderbolt from mega mewtwo y fails to 2HKO.
  • sucker punch is simple priority so that yveltal can get damage off before it dies.
  • the relaxed nature is so no defense or offense is sacrificed
  • dark pulse does less than half to specially defensive giratina, but it wont be able to wall yveltal with resttalk+will o wisp.
  • mega gengar cant actually do anything to yveltal but spam destiny bond. more times than not, yveltal will come up victorious.
  • yveltal doesnt have to play mind games with aegislash and simply 2HKOs it with dark pulse.
  • yveltal counters both arceus ghost and grass.
  • it can freely switch in to genesect due to its bulk and recover any damage with oblivion wing.
  • overall yveltal has a ridiculous amount of utility and handles a huge variety of pokemon.

Groudon @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch

groudon is the dedicated physical wall on my team and rock setter.
  • stealth rock is to rack up damage as the opponent switches.
  • groudon checks zekrom as it is immune to bolt strike and can kill it with EQ.
  • roar fazes out any sweeper and helps stealth rock damage accumulate.
  • fire punch OHKOs specially defensive ferrothorn and 2HKOs physically defensive ferrothorn.
  • fire punch also kills forretress.
  • groudon is one of my arceus check as roar removes its boost.
  • groudon checks blaziken as EQ cleanly OHKOs.
  • EQ OHKOs specially defensive klefki while physically defensive klefki gets 2HKOd. groudon is immune to t-wave so the most that klefki can do is use toxic.
  • groudon also checks aegislash and doesnt have to play kings shield mindgames.
  • heatran is OHKOd by EQ.

Virizion @ Assault Vest
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Gentle Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Giga Drain
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt

virizion is a special wall on my team with nice resistances. it does in fact fulfill a nice role.
  • virizion fills a valuable role of checking kyogre. it can heal off its water spouts or ice beams with giga drain and have the ability to 2HKO it with leaf blade.
  • virizion also checks darkrai as it gets a justified boost from dark pulse and can kill it with close combat.
  • virizion can also serve as a check to dialga. fire blast isnt a 2HKO even after a defense drop from close combat and close combat 2HKOs bulky dialga.
  • zen headbutt is so virizion can damage mega gengar if it manages to trap it.

Aegislash (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shadow Sneak
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
- King's Shield

aegislash is primarily a xerneas check, but it can fulfill other roles as well due to its bulk and kings shield.
  • a sassy nature and 0 speed ivs are to maximize gyro balls power.
  • toxic is there to wear down pokemon over the course of the match.
  • aegislash hard counters lugia one on one and can hit it with toxic. lugia cant toxic stall it and the most it can do is either switch out or whirlwind aegislash.
  • gyro ball obliterates xerneas after a geomancy.
  • both variants of mega mewtwo cant do much to aegislash and can be worn down by toxic. gyro ball 2HKOs offensive mega mewtwo y and 3HKOs mega mewtwo x.
  • aegislash can live at least one hit from almost anything, which is enough for it to at least get one toxic off.

here are some replays to show the team in action.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uberssuspecttest-154138053
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uberssuspecttest-153990737
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uberssuspecttest-153987481
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uberssuspecttest-153975970

hey man please don't copy paste the bullets from the analyses.... this will be locked, in future, provide 3 lines of your own description
i didnt copy anything. these are purely my own words. i am pretty sure that its not against the rules to use bullet points.

Assault Vest isn't a very good item, although I know you're using it on Virizion to check Kyogre. However on Yveltal I think you'd be much better off running the Life Orb + 3 attacks set.

Importable:
Yveltal @ Life Orb
EVs: 120 Atk / 200 SpA / 188 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Taunt

Another issue that I see is that Mega-Blaziken really loves your team. The only mon who seems to handle hits from it is Cresselia, but even she gets 2HKO'd under sun
252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia in Sun: 240-283 (54 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
And she gets shut down fairly easily by the Yveltal set I posted above.

An option for replacing Cress would be FairyCeus who would handle dragons for you as well as pseudo-checking Blaziken outside of sun.
252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 144 Def Arceus-Fairy: 190-225 (42.7 - 50.6%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO
As well as giving you a Defogger which is a valuable asset to any team.

Importable:
Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
- Defog
- Recover

It's a shaky check at best to Mega-Blaziken, but if you can keep Rocks off your side, and keep Blaze out of sun you'll manage to stop it from sweeping. I suggest FairyCeus mostly because you didn't have a Dragon counter or a Defogger so it patches up those areas as well.

Otherwise a fairly solid team.

Assault Vest isn't a very good item, although I know you're using it on Virizion to check Kyogre. However on Yveltal I think you'd be much better off running the Life Orb + 3 attacks set.

Importable:
Yveltal @ Life Orb
EVs: 120 Atk / 200 SpA / 188 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Taunt

Another issue that I see is that Mega-Blaziken really loves your team. The only mon who seems to handle hits from it is Cresselia, but even she gets 2HKO'd under sun
252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia in Sun: 240-283 (54 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
And she gets shut down fairly easily by the Yveltal set I posted above.

An option for replacing Cress would be FairyCeus who would handle dragons for you as well as pseudo-checking Blaziken outside of sun.
252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 144 Def Arceus-Fairy: 190-225 (42.7 - 50.6%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO
As well as giving you a Defogger which is a valuable asset to any team.

Importable:
Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
- Defog
- Recover

It's a shaky check at best to Mega-Blaziken, but if you can keep Rocks off your side, and keep Blaze out of sun you'll manage to stop it from sweeping. I suggest FairyCeus mostly because you didn't have a Dragon counter or a Defogger so it patches up those areas as well.

Otherwise a fairly solid team.
thank you for your input. i will try out the arceus set since my team does get pressured quite a bit from rocks from experience. on the arceus set, which relevant pokemon do the 112 speed EVs allow you to outspeed?

ill try out the yveltal set as well so my team has some more firepower.

blaziken hasnt really been a problem for my team since groudon has OHKOd the majority with EQ, defensive yveltal kills blaze with oblivion wing+sucker punch, defensive cresselia in the sun can nearly make blaziken kill itself with flare blitz recoil since moonlight heals 67% in the sun+leftovers while blaziken deals 63% max. generally though cresselia wouldnt need to stall as pyschic would kill after flare blitz recoil.

none of these pokemon can actually switch into sun boosted blaziken though and with that, your point is a valid one, but any of the pokemon mentioned above dont have much of an issue revenge killing it if it does manage to kill one pokemon.

but in situations where groudon dies and the sun is still up, or the blaziken user has a sun setter on their team as well, a sun boosted flare blitz will definitely be something that i would have to look out for.

Last edited:
thank you for your input. i will try out the arceus set since my team does get pressured quite a bit from rocks from experience. on the arceus set, which relevant pokemon do the 112 speed EVs allow you to outspeed?
All max speed base 90s.

Also it might be worth trying out Naryz's Virizion set, it might work better than the one you currently have.

Virizion @ Assault Vest
Ability: Justified
EVs: 136 SDef / 252 HP / 120 Spd
Gentle Nature
- Close Combat
- Grass Knot
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Randombro,

So before we start I just want to point out that 112+ speed on Arceus outspeeds up to Jolly Garchomp, so that is up to positive base 102. The most important is base 100 in my opinion, so 96+ speed is also an option.

Alright now let's get into this rate. This team does a very solid job of checking most common threats in the metagame (maybe a bit shaky versus Blaziken as MrKijani noted). However, although that might seem like this is a really solid team, which it is, it is far from perfect. The biggest weakness is a massive weakness to stall. You have no cleric, many of your pokemon lack reliable recovery or recovery at all, and you also lack any sort of way to hurt stall at all including no taunt. Also, we are running a lot of interesting, but sub-optimal sets here. Aside from these things, you also struggle to keep hazards up on their side and off of your side, largely because you are 1) very defoggable and 2) lack defog yourself.

Let's get right in to making some changes. I had some trouble with this one. The first suggestion I have is running Sylveon over Cresselia. This gives you allows you to take pressure of of your win condition by checking Yveltal, as well as provide valuable cleric and wish support. However, this change leaves you a bit weak to Blaziken, so I suggest Landorus-Therian over Groudon as well. Finally, you still are lacking Defog support, so you could run Arceus-Grass over Virizion, to accomplish more or less the same things while having defog support too. After these three major changes, you now have a cleric and wish passer, and defog support which you previously did not have. This will greatly improve the teams potency. However, you end up much weaker to Shadow tag shenanigans, so running Pursuit on Aegislash over Toxic or Shadow Sneak. Keeping Shadow Sneak gives you more reliability and lets you anti-lead better, while keeping Toxic lets you beat some CM Arceus formes more efficiently. You are still slightly weak to stall so I suppose you could run a defensive Yveltal with taunt to at least help a little bit, but that is up to you- you end up weaker to stalltwo if you make this change.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Atk
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Arceus @ Meadow Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp / Punishment
- Defog
- Recover

OPTIMIZATION:

Tyranitar: 248 HP hits a better SR number, which is important because you don't have recovery or anything.
Cresselia: ^
Groudon: ^
Virizion: ^
Aegislash: ^
Yveltal: ^ and the set is just... not really very effective. Uninvested Oblivion Wing is just insanely weak and while you are bulky you miss out on taunt and stuff. I just don't like the set (and yes, I have used it before).

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)