[COMPLETED] Aegislash

Just wanted to ask why bulletproof chestnaught isnt listed as a check. He has good physical bulk. Immune to shadow ball. Access to EQ. And resist steel.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just wanted to ask why bulletproof chestnaught isnt listed as a check. He has good physical bulk. Immune to shadow ball. Access to EQ. And resist steel.
Chesnaught doesn't resist Steel, but you are right that he is immune to Shadow Ball (something that completely slipped my mind) and has great physical bulk to take on all of Aegislash's physical attacks. It loses to SD and Autotomize sets, but it's a perfect counter the King's Shield and mixed, the two best sets of Aegislash, so i am definitely mentioning him.

Chesnaught doesn't resist Steel, but you are right that he is immune to Shadow Ball (something that completely slipped my mind) and has great physical bulk to take on all of Aegislash's physical attacks. It loses to SD and Autotomize sets, but it's a perfect counter the King's Shield and mixed, the two best sets of Aegislash, so i am definitely mentioning him.
My bad on the resist. I always wanna lump grass with fire water elec resisting steel.

Don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but on the Mixed set, is it better to run a 0 Speed IV or to run a 31 Speed IV? I'm guessing if you're trying to outspeed Hippowdon (130), it's better to run 31 IV (140)?
Seconded, is there anything that Aegislash can or wants to outspeed with a 31 or 0 speed iv on Quiet? You might be able to outspeed something like Blissey or Hippowdown, but wouldn't a 0 speed iv allow you to take out other Aegislash more easily? Or would that be reverse speed creep? 31/31/31/31/31/0 ivs also gives you Hidden Power Ice without lowering your defenses or offenses.

Does the analysis recommend a 31 speed iv or a 0?

Last edited:
<p>name: King's Shield<br />
move 1: King's Shield<br />
move 2: Shadow Ball / Iron Head<br />
move 3: Shadow Sneak<br />
move 4: Iron Head / Sacred Sword<br />
ability: Stance Change<br />
item: Leftovers<br />
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA<br />
nature: Quiet / Adamant</p>

Uhh, the slashes on this don't really make too much sense. I get the whole "use physical moves with Adamant thing", but you have Iron Head listed on two different slashes, as well as an Adamant nature coupling with a horribly inefficient EV spread. All physical, non boosting Aegi is pretty horrible anyway, so I think the set should look more something like this:

move 2: Shadow Ball<br />
nature: Quiet</p>

While stating "if you want to go all physical, a 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe Adamant spread is recommended" in the additional comments section.

Edit: Even after seeing it's already there, the set itself still looks ugly as all sin :|

I don't know if we're still proposing sets here, but I've been running a set on Aegislash that's mildly unique compared to what I've seen here already. Thought it would be worth mentioning.

<p>name: Weakness Policy<br />
move 1: Shadow Sneak<br />
move 2: Sacred Sword<br />
move 3: Hidden Power Ice<br />
move 4: King's Shield<br />
item: Weakness Policy<br />
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA<br />
0 Speed IV
nature: Brave</p>

Although this build makes the Aegislash mirror match a little tricky, a maximized IV spread with 0 Speed is guaranteed to give you Hidden Power Ice, which is easily Aegislash's best coverage outside of its usual Sacred Sword / Shadow Sneak combo. With Aegislash's ridiculous bulk and maximum investment in HP, only SE moves from the heaviest hitters can put a significant dent in it during Shield Forme, triggering Weakness Policy and allowing it to have ridiculous sweeping stats without wasting a turn. Anything that takes SE damage from one of Aegislash's attacks with Weakness Policy activated will almost certainly be OHKO'd. Hidden Power Ice cleanly deals with Pokemon who would otherwise wall its bread-and-butter combo. A successful read on a King's Shield will effectively shut down any physical threat and virtually guarantee a kill on the following turn. Minimum Speed ensures that Aegislash won't have to take hits in Blade Forme if necessary; Brave nature ensures that nothing is taken away from Aegislash's SpA, maximizing the potential power of Hidden Power Ice.

EDIT: I saw that Weakness Policy was already mentioned in this thread, so I wanted to bring it up to avoid undermining anyone. This set is a viable implementation of Weakness Policy IMO.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
move 2: Shadow Ball / Iron Head<br />
nature: Quiet / Adamant</p>

Uhh, the slashes on this don't really make too much sense. I get the whole "use physical moves with Adamant thing", but you have Iron Head listed on two different slashes, as well as an Adamant nature coupling with a horribly inefficient EV spread. All physical, non boosting Aegi is pretty horrible anyway, so I think the set should look more something like this:

move 2: Shadow Ball<br />
nature: Quiet</p>

While stating "if you want to go all physical, a 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe Adamant spread is recommended" in the additional comments section.

Edit: Even after seeing it's already there, the set itself still looks ugly as all sin :|
You are right, Adamant +3 physical attacks is AC material.

I don't know if we're still proposing sets here, but I've been running a set on Aegislash that's mildly unique compared to what I've seen here already. Thought it would be worth mentioning.

<p>name: Weakness Policy<br />
move 1: Shadow Sneak<br />
move 2: Sacred Sword<br />
move 3: Hidden Power Ice<br />
move 4: King's Shield<br />
item: Weakness Policy<br />
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA<br />
0 Speed IV
nature: Brave</p>

Although this build makes the Aegislash mirror match a little tricky, a maximized IV spread with 0 Speed is guaranteed to give you Hidden Power Ice, which is easily Aegislash's best coverage outside of its usual Sacred Sword / Shadow Sneak combo. With Aegislash's ridiculous bulk and maximum investment in HP, only SE moves from the heaviest hitters can put a significant dent in it during Shield Forme, triggering Weakness Policy and allowing it to have ridiculous sweeping stats without wasting a turn. Anything that takes SE damage from one of Aegislash's attacks with Weakness Policy activated will almost certainly be OHKO'd. Hidden Power Ice cleanly deals with Pokemon who would otherwise wall its bread-and-butter combo. A successful read on a King's Shield will effectively shut down any physical threat and virtually guarantee a kill on the following turn. Minimum Speed ensures that Aegislash won't have to take hits in Blade Forme if necessary; Brave nature ensures that nothing is taken away from Aegislash's SpA, maximizing the potential power of Hidden Power Ice.

EDIT: I saw that Weakness Policy was already mentioned in this thread, so I wanted to bring it up to avoid undermining anyone. This set is a viable implementation of Weakness Policy IMO.
Slashed Weakness Policy with LO on the Autotomize set.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Rotom-W is a good switch-in to Ground- and Fire-types that threaten Aegislash and can also deal with Mandibuzz, Aegislash's best counter.
I don't think the highlighted part should be included. Rotom-W really doesn't reliably deal with Mandibuzz, especially when it commonly runs toxic.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
"Mega Aggron isLastly, Fire-types, especially specially based ones, can usually outspeed Aegislash and OHKO or dent it with their STABs; physical Fire-types can potentially be screwed by King's Shield though."

Last sentence of the entire thing. What is Mega Aggron ;-;

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
"Mega Aggron isLastly, Fire-types, especially specially based ones, can usually outspeed Aegislash and OHKO or dent it with their STABs; physical Fire-types can potentially be screwed by King's Shield though."

Last sentence of the entire thing. What is Mega Aggron ;-;
Thanks, fixed it.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hiya alexwolf! I was reading through this, and noticed an error.

Doing so, also makes Shadow Sneak significantly stronger, but leaves Aegislash walled against physical walls such as Hippowdon and Skarmory.
First set, second para. There shouldn't be a comma after "Doing so."

<p>name: Swords Dance<br />
move 1: Swords Dance<br />
move 2: King's Shield / Shadow Claw<br />
move 4: Sacred Sword / Iron Head<br />
item: Leftovers / Life Orb<br />
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe<br />
nature: Adamant</p>

This set can be brave nature?

<p>name: Swords Dance<br />
move 1: Swords Dance<br />
move 2: King's Shield / Shadow Claw<br />
move 4: Sacred Sword / Iron Head<br />
item: Leftovers / Life Orb<br />
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe<br />
nature: Adamant</p>

This set can be brave nature?
It can, but it's not necessary. Aegislash is not using any special attacks on this set, so being faster than opposing mixed Aegislash that run Brave or Quiet is beneficial.

Reactions: tab
It can, but it's not necessary. Aegislash is not using any special attacks on this set, so being faster than opposing mixed Aegislash that run Brave or Quiet is beneficial.
I thought that Aegislash would want to go last? Isn't that why all the requests on gamefaqs are for a Brave nature?

I thought that Aegislash would want to go last? Isn't that why all the requests on gamefaqs are for a Brave nature?
I think on that set Adamant is the better nature.

Also the 4 Speed EV's allow it to Shadow Sneak before other Aegislsh's that have the same nature/max Speed IV's? I think anyway thats how i see it.

Last edited:
ty for the reply...i breed a brave shiny aegislash and no want to think i'm get the wrong one lol.....(i have hard work to get him)...i can try put HP Ice or a shadow ball to abuse from the S.atak no?or just stay with sacred sword

This is in a lot of write ups, but I'll pick this one specifically. This is meant to be for pre-Pokebank metagame right?

A lot of articles have references like this: "However, be careful of Defog users, the most popular one being Scizor, which Magnezone can trap and KO (only use it with Smeargle rather than Galvantula, as having two Electric-types is not a very good idea)."

Except Scizor can't learn Defog in the pre-Pokebank metagame.

Sorry if it's been brought up (on Ipad; can't use Ctrl + F), but I think an Air Balloon is a good item, because it nullifies Earthquake & can force the foe to use contact moves, which you can take advantage of w/ King's Shield.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)