[COMPLETED] Aegislash

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just wanted to post about SpD Aegislash because imo it's really good right now. Aegislash has an insanely good defensive typing and by investing in bulk you can exploit that even further. King's Shield + Toxic is a fantastic combination and Shadow Ball still nukes shit even without investment. It's also a much more reliable pivot than other Aegi because of the sheer difference in longevity and amazing at spinblocking shit like Starmie since even LO Analytic Hydro only does like 50% max. Also Toxicing counters like Mandi and Hippo is manly :)

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Trait: Stance Change
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- King's Shield
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute

EVs hit a Lefties number and maximize bulk, though it's pretty customizable. You could also squeeze in something like Sacred Sword somewhere (probably over Sub) for extra coverage against Ttar or MKanga though the status protection is pretty useful.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just wanted to post about SpD Aegislash because imo it's really good right now. Aegislash has an insanely good defensive typing and by investing in bulk you can exploit that even further. King's Shield + Toxic is a fantastic combination and Shadow Ball still nukes shit even without investment. It's also a much more reliable pivot than other Aegi because of the sheer difference in longevity and amazing at spinblocking shit like Starmie since even LO Analytic Hydro only does like 50% max. Also Toxicing counters like Mandi and Hippo is manly :)

Aegislash @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- King's Shield
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute

EVs hit a Lefties number and maximize bulk, though it's pretty customizable. You could also squeeze in something like Sacred Sword somewhere (probably over Sub) for extra coverage against Ttar or MKanga though the status protection is pretty useful.
Sounds interesting. Will use it and come back with results.

Could Krookodile potentially be a counter? His Foul Play and Earthquake are both STAB, and if you give him Taunt he can prevent King's Shield. He outspeeds Aegislash by a ton, too.
EDIT: Ran the calcs. At level 50, 252 Atk Brave Blade Forme Aegislash's Sacred Sword gets 67-80% on 252 Def Adamant Krookodile. Iron Head lands 44.7-53.5% and Shadow Claw gets 19.4-22.9%. Both Earthquake and Foul Play are OHKOs.

Last edited:
I run a choice scarf set:

Naive Nature
164 ATK/94 SPA/252 SPE
Head Smash
Shadow Ball
Sacred Sword
Iron Head

This set outspeeds a flare blitz from Talonflame and a Charizard Y. Its only counters are gengar and scarfed pokemon with EQ

Have somebody considered just a Special Autonomize Set? One like this

Aegislash @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SPATK / 6 HP / 252 SPD
Modest/Timid Nature
- Autonomize
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Fighting/Ice / Kings Shield

I think that a speed tie against 150 base speed pokémon with a beneficial nature is more than enough speed to get the jump against a lot of pokémon. Of course Timid can also be used, but the power drop is noticeable and since you doesn't have any ways of patching that, i think that Modest should be the first option. Then Flash Cannon and Shadow Ball have nice neutral coverage, only failing against Bibarel, Pyroar, Bisharp, Sharpedo, Mega Gyarados, Greninja, Houndoom and Heliolisk and most of them shouldn't be causing too much problem since i think that Aegislash can even 2HKO some of them with resisted moves and since they are normally scared of a super effective Sacred Sword, we can surprise the oponent by dealing some nice damage on a Fighting resistor. Hidden Power Fighting can actually guarantee the OHKO on Greninja, Houndoom, Pyroar, Sharpedo and Bisharp just with Stealth Rock (Heliolisk have near 70% of a OHKO with SR), and a 2HKO on mega Gyarados which isn't a bad option. Also you can use Hidden Power Ice if you think that maybe Salamence, Garchomp, Zygarde or Dragonite are more troubling for your team but normally Shadow Ball or Flash Cannon can 2HKO most variants of those pokémon even without Stealth Rock help.

The Best counter for this Set? I Guess Specially Defensive Vaporeon which only receives a 3HKO from Shadow Ball, but i think that even with a lucky Special Defense drop on the switch and some hazards, Vaporeon can fall...

What do you think? :p

Cya!

In king's shield, I don't like Aegis having ss because:
It switches into Blade forme for the rest of the turn.
It is a physical move, which means SB is his only special to take advantage of those 252 SpA EVs.

Would not head smash deserve a slash or possibly be favored over iron head for the mixed set.

1) Head smash eliminates mandibuzz, aegislash's only true counter.

2) Head smash does more damage than iron head with better coverage and still beats togekiss and goodra.

There's still at least one blaziken mention in the first paragraph of swords dance, under what shadow sneak can OHKO at +2.

I don't know if it's actually a counter or because everyone is bad but I've beaten every single Aegislash I've come up against in PS or on Battle Spot with a bulky swords-dance M-Scizor. Aegislash can't 2HKO so you can set up in its face, I don't know why people let me do this but it happens all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)