[COMPLETED] Aggron

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've been using Aggron for a while and I feel like I have a firm grasp on it's capabilities in standard play.

Los gehts!

[Pros]
<ul>
<li>Aggron possesses unrivalled physical defense in its Mega Form.</li>
<li>It boasts a wide selection of support moves: Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, and Dragon Tail to name a few.</li>
<li>Filter lets it check not only more-or-less every physical attacker in the game, but even a few special attackers also.</li>
<li>Mono-Steel typing gives it plenty of switch opportunities.</li>
<li>Its high Attack stat prevents Pokemon from freely switching in or setting up.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]
<ul>
<li>It's slow. <strong>Very slow.</strong></li>
<li>It's slightly vulnerable on its special side.</li>
<li>Despite having a good Attack stat, there are Pokemon that can switch in, set up, and completely destroy it.</li>
<li>It has to Mega Evolve before it can become useful, which can put you at a disadvantage because you can't switch it into battle until it has Mega Evolved.</li>
<li>It has no reliable recovery.</li>
</ul>

[Set recommendations]

<p>name: Tank <br />
move 1: Stealth Rock <br />
move 2: Heavy Slam / Iron Head <br />
move 3: Thunder Wave <br />
move 4: Earthquake / Rock Slide / Superpower <br />
item: Aggronite <br />
ability: Filter (Sturdy) <br />
nature: Relaxed <br />
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD </p>

<p>Say hello to possibly the single greatest physical tank in the game. After a Mega Evolution, Aggron gains a colossal boost to its physical defense and access to Filter, which lets it tank virtually any unboosted physical attack in the game. In short, you can depend on it to check nearly every physical attacker, and even a few special attackers, as long as it's healthy. When it comes to using Stealth Rock, Mega Aggron is one of the most reliable options in standard; short of using Taunt or Magic Bounce, it's difficult to prevent it from using Stealth Rock. In terms of offense, Heavy Slam is deceptively strong; the weight boost Mega Aggron receives after it Mega Evolves allows it it to hit more threats for higher damage. Garchomp for instance, is now susceptible to a 100 Base Power Heavy Slam. Unfortunately, Heavy Slam is completely worthless against Pokemon who are also heavy; Mamoswine and Tyranitar take a measly 40 Base Power from Heavy Slam, which is significant because you can't 2HKO them. If Heavy Slam's inability to cover certain threats bothers you, Iron Head can be used. It's generally weaker, but it deals consistent damage. Thunder Wave is one of Mega Aggron's most useful assets; we've already established that Mega Aggron's immense bulk and Filter makes difficult to actually OHKO Mega Aggron, meaning it has easy time paralyzing offensive Pokemon who are matched up against it. Earthquake is useful for dealing with Pokemon who resist Steel-type moves such as Excadrill, Charizard-X and Aegislash (and Tyranitar, if Heavy Slam is used). Rock Slide is exclusively used to deal with the omnipresent Talonflame, as neither of Mega Aggron's moves manage to deal significant damage to it. Superpower has similar coverage to Earthquake, and is particularly useful against Mega Kanghaskan. Should you choose to use Superpower, you should invest in Attack, since it makes it easier to OHKO Mega Kanghaskan after it has taken residual damage.</p>

<ul class="damage_calculation">
<li>252 Atk Charizard-X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 166-198 (48.2 - 57.5%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO</li>
<li>252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 211-250 (61.3 - 72.6%) -- Guaranteed 2HKO.</li>
<li>252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 186-219 (54 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
<li>+2 252+ Life Orb Atk Aegislash Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 203-240 (59.01 - 69.76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
<li>252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 232-275 (67.44 - 79.94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
<li>252 SpA Life Orb Greninga Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Aggron: 181-214 (52.61 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
</ul>

<p>As you can see, it's pretty much impossible for physical attackers to OHKO Mega Aggron without a boosting move, and even Special Attackers struggle to take it down in one shot. An Relaxed nature is chosen to take advantage of Mega Aggron's amazing Defense, whereas the EV spread patches up its unimpressive Special Defense stat. In addition, a Relaxed nature ensures that you're slower than Aegislash, which allows you to attack it while it's in Blade Form. A maximized Defense investment can make it even stronger on the physical side, but this leads to diminishing returns as +63 defense to a Defense stat that's already really high isn't that noticeable. Dragon Tail and Roar can be used to shuffle threats; both moves have their advantages (dealing damage vs forcing out Substitute users) but they both come at the cost of a precious moveslot. With all of that said, there are few drawbacks to using Mega Aggron: it has no access to recovery moves or Leftovers, so it can quickly get worn down. The lack of Leftovers is significant because it can't heal its way out of a 2HKO from certain Pokemon (Excadrill for example). As a result, it greatly appreciates Wish support to heal off damage. Sylveon works great here because it has solid synergy with Mega Aggron. Mega Aggron can check some of the Pokemon that counter it and in return, Sylveon can ward off stronger Special Attackers and heal Aggron with Wish. Togekiss similarly functions as a partner to Mega Aggron, and with the added benefit of being immune to Ground-type and the ability to also spread paralysis. Mega Aggron also appreciates Rapid Spin support; due to its complete lack of recovery, it can be worn down by simply switching against teams that employ entry hazards, so the ability to clear them is useful. Rapid Spin or Defog work here, but Rapid Spin is preferred due to its ability to keep Mega Aggron's own entry hazards on the field. Excadrill and Starmie are both reliable; Starmie gets the overall nod due to its ability to better check Mega Aggron's counters, but they're both generally good choices. Dragon-types in general make for decent offensive partners mainly because they love Mega Aggron's ability to deal with Fairy-types and opposing Dragons and in return they can somewhat check Mega Aggron's counters.</p>

<p>name: RestTalk <br >
move 1: Rest <br >
move 2: Sleep Talk <br >
move 3: Heavy Slam / Iron Head <br >
move 4: Earthquake / Dragon Tail <br >
item: Aggronite <br >
ability: Filter (Sturdy) <br >
nature: Relaxed <br >
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD</p>

<p>This set focuses on long term walling with the Rest + Sleep Talk combination. It does this by fixing Mega Aggron's greatest downside, thereby making it extremely difficult to take down in the process. Rest heals off any damage that Mega Aggron incurs throughout the match, while Sleep Talk still lets you keep up the offensive pressure with its attacking moves. While RestTalk provides Mega Aggron with a means of sticking around, it loses out on its best supporting moves. As a result, this set is much more team-oriented than the previous set. It appreciates having Pokemon that can cover its checks and counters. Rotom-W can deal with nearly all of its counters, and it can provide Mega Aggron with a means of switching into battle via Volt Switch. This set greatly appreciates having entry hazards on the field, due to the fact that it's prone to causing switches and Dragon Tail can shuffle Pokemon.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Defensive Pokemon who don't particularly care for its attacks are good counters. Hippowdon can effortlessly switch in, wall it, and beat Mega Aggron with repeated uses of Earthquake. Skarmory, Forretress, and Ferrothorn disregard all of Mega Aggron's moves and set up on it. Gastrodon, Vaporeon, Rotom-W, and Politoed can sponge just about anything Mega Aggron throws at them, and wear it down with their Water-type moves or even potentially burn it. Gliscor is also a solid counter, though Heavy Slam hits for 120BP, so it should be wary of taking a healthy Mega Aggron head on. Generally speaking, bulky Special attackers (such as Reuniclus) will come out on top against Mega Aggron.</p>

<p>Countering Mega Aggron with offensive-inclined Pokemon can prove a bit challenging due to its incredible defenses and access to Thunder Wave. Aegislash, Excadrill, and Lucario can take it out, but only if it has been weakened to the point where their STAB moves can OHKO it, otherwise it can threaten each of them with Earthquake. Garchomp is on a higher class than the aforementioned Pokemon, mainly because it isn't bothered by any of Mega Aggron's moves and deals significant damage to it with Earthquake (or even Fire Blast if Garchomp has Mega Evolved). Fire-type Special Attackers are among the only Pokemon in the game that can take out Mega Aggron in one strike. Volcarona can flat out OHKO Mega Aggron with Fire Blast, but it should be wary of Rock Slide and Thunder Wave.</p>

Last edited:
Not QC but I don't think Mamoswine in particular deserves a spot in Checks and Counters. Max Defense Mega Aggron is only 3HKOed by an Adamant Life Orb boosted Earthquake and its also weak to Steel, making it very vulnerable to Iron Head or Heavy Slam.

You should mention Togekiss as a partner as well. Two paralysis spreaders covering both sides of the attacking spectrum as well as complementing each other pretty well type-wise.

Reactions: tab

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Aggron also learns Taunt by TM, which coupled with Togekiss or Gengar turns him into a clutch switch pivot.

One critical damage calculation you may want to include is that Jolly Swords Dance Sand Force Mega Garchomp's Earthquake (in Sand with +2) will do 84% - 99.4%.

For non Mega sets, I'd consider using Assault Vest with EQ/SE/Iron Head/Filler.
Sadly there's no access to Swords Dance, but Aggron's attacking movepool is actually hilariously wide, including: Superpower, Outrage, Elemental Punches, Aqua Tail, and Shadow Claw. Could something involving Hone Claws, Stone Edge, and Dragon Tail work?

RockPolish/Autonomize with max Investment and +ve nature allows Aggron to outspeed base 95 Choice Scarf users. I think that's at least worth mentioning given that you now have a phat 140 Base Attack to work with.

Dragonite and Salamence are good partners here, without a doubt - you clear the Fairy-types, and the dragons get a free switch in on any move that would otherwise be SE against Aggron.

I would say Goodra is a good partner for Aggron. Goodra with an assault vest can take unlimited specially attacking fire types. Goodra can also hit Ground types hard with blizzard/ice beam. Also, wouldn't roar be better than dragon tail because you can roar sweepers or baton passers that put themselves behind subs because don't sound-based moves go past subs now?

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Aggron also learns Taunt by TM, which coupled with Togekiss or Gengar turns him into a clutch switch pivot.

One critical damage calculation you may want to include is that Jolly Swords Dance Sand Force Mega Garchomp's Earthquake (in Sand with +2) will do 84% - 99.4%.

For non Mega sets, I'd consider using Assault Vest with EQ/SE/Iron Head/Filler.
Sadly there's no access to Swords Dance, but Aggron's attacking movepool is actually hilariously wide, including: Superpower, Outrage, Elemental Punches, Aqua Tail, and Shadow Claw. Could something involving Hone Claws, Stone Edge, and Dragon Tail work?

RockPolish/Autonomize with max Investment and +ve nature allows Aggron to outspeed base 95 Choice Scarf users. I think that's at least worth mentioning given that you now have a phat 140 Base Attack to work with.

Dragonite and Salamence are good partners here, without a doubt - you clear the Fairy-types, and the dragons get a free switch in on any move that would otherwise be SE against Aggron.
Aggron doesn't have enough Speed to make good use out of Taunt, and it can't really fit in it's moveset either. I think it's just OO material.

I tested Rock Polish on Mega Aggron, but I was disappointed by its initial lack of Speed (which meant it would always take a hit before setting up each time) and it's underwhelming power (which meant it would take another hit because it couldn't OHKO Pokemon). Mega Aggron has a great attack stat, but it lacks a boosting item to really take advantage of said Attack stat, and it really misses that Rock STAB (for offense anyway) and it doesn't have enough coverage to sweep standard. Speaking of which, Vanilla Aggron isn't getting any sets, since it's flat out unviable in OU.
I don't think Aggron needs any of those moves actually, aside from maybe Ice Punch for Garchomp.

Good call about the Dragon thing.

I would say Goodra is a good partner for Aggron. Goodra with an assault vest can take unlimited specially attacking fire types. Goodra can also hit Ground types hard with blizzard/ice beam. Also, wouldn't roar be better than dragon tail because you can roar sweepers or baton passers that put themselves behind subs because don't sound-based moves go past subs now?
I've added it to AC, because I feel like the extra bit of damage from Dragon Tail makes it a slightly better option than Roar (though the ability to phase out sub users is significant). That said, if QC members object then i'll happily make Roar the primary move option. Assault Goodra doesn't seem like a noteworthy partner, and I have enough mentioned as is.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Add Aegislash as a counter. Doesn't particularly care about anything Mega Aggron can do and smacks it hard with Shadow Ball. Also add as checks specially based Fire- and Fighting-types, such as mixed Blaziken, Volcarona, and Mega Lucario, all of which also have the bonus of resisting Heavy Slam and Iron Head.

QC Approved 1/3

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can't we just merge the two sets into something like this:

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter (Sturdy)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam / Iron Head
- Dragon Tail / Thunder Wave
- Rest / Stealth Rock
- Sleep Talk / Earthquake

The slashitis might be a bother, but the sets play the same and have the same EV spreads so what do you think?

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but why is there no specially defensive set? I was touching on this in the UT thread, basically that investment into a stat as huge as Aggron's defense make very little difference percentage-wise (the difference between 496 defense and 542-614 (with a nature boost, barely over a 10% increase) and almost a 50% increase with SpD investment; 196 vs. 284.). Even with no investment, and a neutral nature his defense stat falls just a few points short of regular Aggron's maxed 180 stat. Just seems like you'd be better off nearly doubling your ability to take special attacks since Meggron has Filter and no quad weaknesses.

I have used Aggron for the last months. And I disagree with the fact that Aegislash is a counter when Aggron can carry EQ. I run a more offensive variant, with Head Smash, EQ and Heavy Slam. And for all I know, I’ve always used Mega-Aggron to wall Aegislash. Furthermore I have used Goodra in Assault Vest as a partner, offensively it has not done much, despite not losing a single match in the simulator with this team, I feel like perhaps Togekiss would be a better option.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
I'm thinking of making Earthquake the primary slash over Dragon Tail. It lets you beat Aigislash, and any Excadrill that attempt to switch in on it, and it's been more useful in my games in general.

Can't we just merge the two sets into something like this:

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter (Sturdy)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam / Iron Head
- Dragon Tail / Thunder Wave
- Rest / Stealth Rock
- Sleep Talk / Earthquake

The slashitis might be a bother, but the sets play the same and have the same EV spreads so what do you think?
I don't like it. It has a slash on every moveslot, which is pretty ridiculous in and of itself, but I also think you're off base on your claim; the sets are similar, but they play differently to a reasonable extent (Temporary Tanking + Thunder Wave spreading, vs Pure walling with Rest + Sleep Talk). Precedence applies here, because we've always separated Rest Talk sets in the past, and I don't want to cut corners.

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but why is there no specially defensive set? I was touching on this in the UT thread, basically that investment into a stat as huge as Aggron's defense make very little difference percentage-wise (the difference between 496 defense and 542-614 (with a nature boost, barely over a 10% increase) and almost a 50% increase with SpD investment; 196 vs. 284.). Even with no investment, and a neutral nature his defense stat falls just a few points short of regular Aggron's maxed 180 stat. Just seems like you'd be better off nearly doubling your ability to take special attacks since Meggron has Filter and no quad weaknesses.
That 10% boost to its defenses might seem irrelevant paper, but the boost to defense can prevent some key 2HKOes. I know for a fact that you avoid the 2HKO from Jolly LO Excadrill which is pretty huge. There are times where Mega Aggron is worn down to 70% or 60%, and the fact that you straight up take around 8-9% less from Super Effective physical moves is important. For example, without Impish + Maximum defensive investment, Choice Band Azumarill can 3HKO Mega Aggron with Waterfall and deal up to 59% to it with Superpower.

Still...That increase in Special Defense is pretty significant, so i'd like to hear some feedback on this.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
After thinking it over and reading your arguments, you are right about not merging the sets.

"Roar is an option if you want consistency."

What does this even mean? Instead, I suggest making a note that Dragon Tail does damage, but Roar bypasses Substitute and hits Fairies. I'd also suggest putting that as a note too.

Also, does non-DragonTail ResTalk actually work? I always saw the point of it as that it keeps shuffling the opponents around to prevent hard-hitters from out-damaging Rest, and to avoid anyone taking advantage of the sleeping giant to set up. And also to phase out the ones who already did.

Still...That increase in Special Defense is pretty significant, so i'd like to hear some feedback on this.
From my experience, there's simply not enough Specially Offensive threats in the metagame to warrant the investment. It might change, but for the time being, I say don't include it.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Consider me a person that's theorizing, but I might as well ask.

While looking at the analysis, there were a few things I noticed:

1) No mention of normal Aggron with Stealth Rock.

Considering that the number of Stealth Rock users currently suck (seriously, they really suck), I think Aggron does have a decent advantage of being a decent Pokemon to lay it down. I guess the disadvantage of being trapped by Magnezone sort of sucks, but since few run Magnet Rise and fewer run Hidden Power Ground it probably is an okay idea:

- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Taunt / Endeavor

Probably at least worthy of a test.

Also, I think any offensive set should obviously be left to Aggron itself. I don't know if Automatize Aggron is really any good (it is kind of slow and, IIRC, needs Jolly); however, no one has really brought it up either... so...

PK Gaming

Persona 5
After thinking about syzygian's post, I took a different approach with the EV spread (Impish 252 HP / 252 Atk) and it performed a lot better. This new variant of Mega Aggron is still capable of taking a ridiculous amount of damage on the physical, but its actually capable of inflicting legitimate damage. For example, Excadrill is no longer an Mega Aggron check (Earthquake deals 96.68 - 113.81%) and Aigislash can't set up on Mega Aggron. Even Garchomp can't fully counter it because Heavy Slam deals (50.27 - 59.49%) to it, and unboosted Garchomp can't 2HKO it in return.

"Roar is an option if you want consistency."

What does this even mean? Instead, I suggest making a note that Dragon Tail does damage, but Roar bypasses Substitute and hits Fairies. I'd also suggest putting that as a note too.
Well yeah that was the intended message but I can see how that was a bit unclear.

Consider me a person that's theorizing, but I might as well ask.

While looking at the analysis, there were a few things I noticed:

1) No mention of normal Aggron with Stealth Rock.

Considering that the number of Stealth Rock users currently suck (seriously, they really suck), I think Aggron does have a decent advantage of being a decent Pokemon to lay it down. I guess the disadvantage of being trapped by Magnezone sort of sucks, but since few run Magnet Rise and fewer run Hidden Power Ground it probably is an okay idea:

- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Taunt / Endeavor

Probably at least worthy of a test.

Also, I think any offensive set should obviously be left to Aggron itself. I don't know if Automatize Aggron is really any good (it is kind of slow and, IIRC, needs Jolly); however, no one has really brought it up either... so...
Sorry man, but i'm not going to give normal Aggron any exposure. It's just not viable in standard.

Last edited:
One setup that I'm trying is a fodder Aggron with HP, Def, and Sp. Def IVs, Max HP EV, and the rest split between Def and Sp. Def, with Stealth Rock and Iron Defense. Not sure how well this will work, but I'm going to give it a try. I just need to fill the other two moves, and I'll probably go for Leftovers for the item. (P.S. Adamant with Rock Head)

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Ignore what I said earlier about not investing in Special Defense, I was completely off base with that, syzygian was right.

SpD Mega Aggron is definitely the way to go, it makes it damn near impenetrable.

Anyway, I'm ready for that last QC Check!

Just out of curiosity, I'm assuming this set is planning around BW2 Move Tutor availability? Because as far as I'm aware it doesn't have access to Ice Punch or Stealth Rock yet, unless they've been confirmed to be Egg Moves.

Aggron's been one of my favorite Pokemon for a long time even though I know he was never that good until he got a Mega form. I ran him on my team in a small tournament not too long ago and experienced a fair amount of success, though the tournament was probably more casual than what people on here would prepare for.

I ran a highly aggressive build (max Attack and Speed EVs, Adamant nature) with Iron Head / Stone Edge / Earthquake / Autotomize. It still took hits like a champ (as expected) and one Autotomize was enough to out-speed just about every physical threat I ran into along with a lot of special threats.

I'm by no means an expert (I only recently got seriously interested the competitive scene) but I think running max Attack EVs with an Adamant nature is viable; the other set of EVs can be invested in HP or SpD, whichever seems more appropriate. I would have to run calculations before firmly backing that claim, but 140 base Attack is no joke and nothing is going to punch through Mega Aggron's Defense easily regardless of investment.

Brick Break is a potential replacement for Superpower before Pokemon Bank hits and provides an option against Mamoswine, Tyranitar, and Skarmory (at least until Fire Punch becomes available in that case) if you wanted to run a Heavy Slam / Rock Polish combo.

I'd appreciate any constructive feedback/responses as I'm still trying to learn myself, but I think there's merit to an offensive set with this guy.

EDIT: I did some quick calculations and found this:

252+ Atk Mega Aggron Brick Break vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 352-416 (91.19 - 107.77%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

So a Mega Aggron fully invested in Attack can OHKO Tyranitar with just Brick Break after Stealth Rock and still has a ~44% chance to OHKO without it, which is pretty interesting. Anything short of full Attack investment is a guaranteed 2HKO at best, which is still okay but not ideal.

Here's another fun one for when Pokemon Bank drops:

252 Atk Mega Aggron Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 348-412 (101.16 - 119.76%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Fire Punch is looking like a really good option for an offensive set.

Last edited:

Epikhairz

Anything goes
Amcheck

Add Remove Comments
Pros and cons need to be in full sentences with periods at the end
[Pros]
<ul>
<li>UAggron possesses unrivaled physical defense in its Mega Form.</li>
<li>WIt boasts a wide selection of support moves; Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, and Dragon Tail to name a few.</li>
<li>Filter lets it check damn near every physical attacker in the game and even a few special attackers.</li>
<li>Mono Steel typing gives it plenty of switch opportunities.</li>
<li>HIts high Attack stat prevents Pokemon from freely switching in or setting up.</li>
</u>

[Cons]
<ul>
<li>IT IS SLOW.</li>
<li>SIt's slightly vulnerable on it's special side.</li>
<li>Despite having a good Attack stat, there are Pokemon that can switch in, setup and completely destroy it.</li>
<li>HIt has to Mega Evolve before it can become useful, which can put you at a disadvantage since you can't switch it into battle until it has Mega Evolved.</li>
<li>NIt has no reliable recovery.</li>

[Set recommendations]

<p>name: Tank <br />
move 1: Stealth Rock <br />
move 2: Heavy Slam / Iron Head <br />
move 3: Thunder Wave <br />
move 4: Earthquake / Dragon Tail <br />
item: Aggronite <br />
ability: Filter (Sturdy) <br />
nature: Impish <br />
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD </p>

<p>Say hello to possibly the single greatest physical tank in the game. After a Mega Evolution, Aggron gains a colossal boost to its physical defense and access to Filter, which let's it to tank virtually any unboosted physical attack in the game. In short, you can depend on it check nearly every physical attacker, and even a few special attackers, (as long as it's healthy). When it comes to using Stealth Rock, Mega Aggron is one of the most reliable users in standard; short of using Taunt or Magic Bounce, it's difficult to prevent it from using Stealth Rock. In terms of offense, Heavy Slam is deceptively strong; the weight boost it received after it has Mega Evolved allows it it to hit more threats for higher damage. Garchomp for instance, is now susceptible to a 100BP Heavy Slam. Unfortunately, Heavy Slam is completely worthless against Pokemon who are also heavy; Mamoswine and Tyranitar take a measly 40BP from Heavy Slam, which is significant because you can't 2HKO them. If Heavy Slam's inability to cover certain threats bothers you, Iron Head can be used. It's generally weaker, but it deals consistent damage. Thunder Wave is one of Mega Aggron's most useful assets; Wwe've already established that Mega Aggron's immense bulk and Filter makes difficult to actually OHKO Mega Aggron, meaning it has easy time paralyzing offensive Pokemon who are matched up against it. Earthquake is useful for dealing with Pokemon who resist Steel-type moves such as Excadrill, Blaziken and Aegislash (and Tyranitar, if Heavy Slam is used). Dragon Tail can for shuffling Pokemon around and racking up damage</p>

<ul class="damage_calculation">
<li>252 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 170-201 (49.41 - 58.43%) -- 98.83% chance to 2HKO</li>
<li>252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 158-187 (45.93 - 54.36%) -- 47.66% chance to 2HKO</li>
<li>252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 186-219 (54.06 - 63.66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
<li>+2 252+ Atk Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 204-243 (59.3 - 70.63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
<li>+2 252+ Atk Aegislash Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 178-210 (51.74 - 61.04%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
<li>252 SpA Mega Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Filter Aggron: 219-258 (63.66 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
<li>252 SpA Life Orb Greninga Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Aggron: 181-214 (52.61 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>

<p>As you can see, it's pretty much impossible for physical attackers to OHKO Mega Aggron without a boosting move, and even Special Attackers struggle to take it down in one shot.
An Impish nature was chosen to take advantage of Mega Aggron's amazing Defense, while the EV spread patches up its unimpressive SpDspecial defense stat. A max Defense investment can make it even stronger on the physical side, but this leads to diminishing returns since +63 defense to a Defense that's already really high isn't that noticeable. Roar can be used over Dragon Tail; it doesn't deal any damage, but it can force out Substitute users and it doesn't have imperfect accuracy. With all of that said, there are few drawbacks to using Mega Aggron; it has no access to recovery moves or Leftovers, so it can quickly get worn down. The lack of lLeftovers is significant because it can't heal its way out of a 2HKO from certain Pokemon (Excadrill and Blaziken for example). As a result, it greatly appreciates Wish support to heal off damage. Sylveon works great here because it has solid synergy with Mega Aggron. Mega Aggron can check some of the Pokemon that counter it and in return, Sylveon can ward off stronger Special Attackers and heal Aggron with Wish. Togekiss similarly functions as a partner to Mega Aggron, and with the added benefit of being immune to Ground-type and the ability to also spread paralysis. Mega Aggron also appreciates Rapid Spin support; due to it's complete lack of recovery, it can be worn down by simply switcing against teams that employ hazards, so the ability to clear entry hazards is useful. Rapid Spin or Defog work here, but Rapid Spin is preferred due to its ability to keep Mega Aggron's own entry hazards on the field. Excadrill and Starmie are both reliable spinners, Starmie gets the overall nod due to it ability to better check Mega Aggron's counters but they're general both good choices. Dragon-types in general make for decent offensive partners, since they love Mega Aggron's ability to deal with Fairy-types and opposing Dragons and in return they can somewhat check Mega Aggron's counters.</p>

<p>name: RestTalk <br >
move 1: Rest <br >
move 2: Sleep Talk <br >
move 3: Heavy Slam / Iron Head <br >
move 4: Earthquake / Dragon Tail <br >
item: Aggronite <br >
ability: Filter (Sturdy) <br >
nature: Impish <br >
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD</p>

<p>This set focuses on long term walling with the Rest + Sleep Talk combination. It does this by fixing Mega Aggron's greatest downside, thereby making it extremely difficult to take down in the process. Rest heals off the damage that Mega Aggron incurs throughout the match, while Sleep Talk still lets you keep up the offensive pressure with its attacking moves. While RestTalk provides Mega Aggron's with a means of sticking around, it loses out on its best supporting moves. As a result, this set is much more team oriented than the previous set. It appreciates having Pokemon that can cover its checks and counters. Rotom-W can deal with nearly all of its counters, and it can provide Mega Aggron with a means of switching into battle via Volt Switch. This set greatly appreciates having entry hazards on the field since it's prone to causing switches and Dragon Tail can shuffle Pokemon.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Defensive Pokemon who don't particularly care for its attacks are good counters. Hippowdon can effortlessly switch in, wall it, and beat it with repeated usage of Earthquake. Skarmory, Forretress, and Ferrothorn disregard all of Mega Aggron's moves (barring the rare Fire Punch) and set up on it. Gastrodon, Vaporeon, Rotom-W, and Politoed can sponge just about anything Mega Aggron throws at them, and wear it down with their wWater-type moves or even potentially burn it. Gliscor is also a solid counter, though Heavy Slam hits for 120BP, so it should be wary of taking a healthy Mega Aggron head on. Generally speaking, bulky Special attackers (such as Reuniclus) will come out on top against Mega Aggron.</p>

<p>Countering Mega Aggron with offensive inclined Pokemon can prove a bit challenging due to its incredible defenses and access to Thunder Wave. Aegislash, Blaziken, Excadrill, and Lucario can take it out, but only it has been weakened to the point where theire STAB moves can OHKO it, otherwise it can OHKO each of them with Earthquake. Garchomp is on a higher class than the aforementioned Pokemon, since it isn't bothered by any of Mega Aggron's moves, and deals significant damage to it with Earthquake (or even Fire Blast if it has MEega Evolved). Fire-type Special Attackers are among the only Pokemon in the game that can take out Mega Aggron in one strike. Volcarona, and special orientated Blaziken can flat out OHKO Mega Aggron with Fire Blast, but they should be wary of Earthquake and Thunder Wave.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Just out of curiosity, I'm assuming this set is planning around BW2 Move Tutor availability? Because as far as I'm aware it doesn't have access to Ice Punch or Stealth Rock yet, unless they've been confirmed to be Egg Moves.
No that was a mistake on my part, thanks for pointing that out.

As for adding an offensive set for Mega Aggron... until someone can convince me, I don't think there's any merit to using it in standard. It just doesn't hit hard enough, and I haven't really found a way to make it work. That goes double for the move recommendations you've made. I don't think they're worth mentioning in the main set (and isn't Fire Punch also a tutor move...?))

@Epikhairz0603:I implemented your GP check. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)