[COMPLETED] Chansey

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>It is one of the best special walls in the metagame, walling nearly every specially based threat.</li>
<li>Eviolite increases its already great Special Defense and bolsters its low Defense.</li>
<li>It possesses a wide range of support moves for both itself and its team.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>It is very limited in offensive presence.</li>
<li>It has a rather low Defense stat.</li>
<li>It has a low base Speed.</li>
<li>Chansey has competition from the new Fairy-type special walls in this metagame like Sylveon and Florges, and special tanks like Tyranitar and Goodra that can run Assault Vest.</li>
<li>It is helpless against Mega Gengar, a premier special attacker in the metagame.</li>
<li>While Chansey has overall superior bulk, Blissey has access to Leftovers and has the offensive stats to benefit from using attacks which allows it to hit Mega Gengar.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>name: Support<br />
move 1: Seismic Toss<br />
move 2: Softboiled<br />
move 3: Aromatherapy<br />
move 4: Toxic / Thunder Wave<br />
ability: Natural Cure<br />
item: Eviolite<br />
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD<br />
nature: Bold</p>

<p>This set attempts to make use of Chansey's monstrous bulk and walling power due to the large buff given by Eviolite. Seismic Toss serves as Chansey's main way of directly damaging the opponent, particularly if they are a Steel- or Poison-type. Softboiled and Aromatherapy help keep Chansey in top condition while aiding the team by giving cleric support. Toxic makes best use of Chansey's incredible staying power and longevity, as Chansey can keep recovering itself till the opponent is defeated by Toxic damage. Thunder Wave is an option if the team supporting Chansey would prefer frail, but powerful, offensive Pokemon to be slowed down rather than bulky walls to be Toxiced. However, it is important to note that Chansey itself has a harder time walling Pokemon without Toxic, and becomes more focused on giving team support. The EVs on Chansey are focused primarily on bolstering its very low physical Defense, to make the best use of the boosts Eviolite gives.</p>

<p>Chansey really appreciates support in dealing with Steel- and Poison-type Pokemon, primarily Scizor and Gengar. Both are able to either counter this set or use it for free setup, making Pokemon such as Skarmory and Assault Vest Tyranitar good partners. Physical walls like Zygarde or Hippowdon are also appreciated, as they are able to switch in on many of the major physical threats to Chansey.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Steel- and Poison-type Pokemon do fantastically against Chansey. Chansey cannot touch Poison-type Pokemon, while Steel-type Pokemon can abuse Chansey's ability to only do a set amount of damage as setup bait. Strong Fighting-type Pokemon also do very well against Chansey, such as Conkeldurr and Mienshao, constantly threatening Chansey with STAB Fighting-type attacks.</p>

Last edited by a moderator:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wish is currently illegal (NYPC move).

EDIT: As is Seismic Toss (Gen 3 move).

Honestly lacking Seismic Toss alone makes it look not viable at all.

I have been contemplating other options for Chansey, considering these restrictions. I am thinking of a moveset like:

-Soft-Boiled
-Aromatherapy
-Toxic
-Counter / Thunder Wave

Counter is of course useful for pretty much KOing Physical Pokemon which attack her, so its a half decent option consider Chansey has no attack outside of Toxic now. Thunder Wave also might be good, however running both could lead to problems (like paralyzing a Volcarona GG), so it a bit of an inferior option, but still a decent one with the restrictions.

Chansey also has access to Charm and screens if you want to test it out, honestly they seem sub-par though still.

For a pro, I would put that it literally, bar none, is the most specially defensive thing in the game. Also it has the advantage of taking on mixed attackers that Blissey cannot handle.

dragonuser

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Was not aware, corrected.

I agree with Princess Bubblegum that Counter should definitely get a main slash, to the point that I see it almost mandatory on the set. Although its important to note that regardless of what moves Chansey runs, MEGA Gengar still demolishes it anyways.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure whether it's legal or not, but Chansey is an okay Stealth Rock setter, so I think it deserves an AC mention. Also, in your cons section, I didn't see any comparison to Blissey, which as Leftovers and a usable special attack.

I'm not sure whether it's legal or not, but Chansey is an okay Stealth Rock setter, so I think it deserves an AC mention. Also, in your cons section, I didn't see any comparison to Blissey, which as Leftovers and a usable special attack.
It isn't right now, as its only a Move Tutor/TM Move

dragonuser

Added mention of Blissey in cons section.

I think this is about ready to be reviewed by QC

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
dragonuser

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>It is one of the the best special walls in the metagame, walling nearly every specially based threat.</li>
<li>Eviolite increases its already great Special Defense and bolsters its low Defense.</li>
<li>It possesses a wide range of support moves for both itself and its team.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>It is very limited in offensive presence.</li>
<li>It has a rather low Defense stat.</li>
<li>It has a low base Speed stat.</li>
<li>Chansey has competition from the new Fairy-type special walls in this metagame like Sylveon and Florges, and special walls tanks like Tyranitar and Goodra that can run Assault Vest.</li>
<li>It is helpless against Mega Gengar, a premier special attacker in the metagame.</li>
<li>While Chansey has overall superior bulk, Blissey has access to Leftovers and has the offensive stats to benefit from using attacks which allows it to hit Mega Gengar.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Chansey (F) @ Eviolite<br />
Ability: Natural Cure<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD<br />
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)<br />
- Seismic Toss<br />
- Softboiled<br />
- Aromatherapy<br />
- Toxic / Thunder Wave<br />

<p>This set attempts to make use of Chansey's monstrous bulk and walling power, (RC) due to the large buff given by Eviolite. Seismic Toss serves as Chansey's main way of directly damaging the opponent, particularly if they are a Steel- or Poison-type. Softboiled and Aromatherapy help keep Chansey itself in top condition, (RC) while aiding the team by giving cleric support. Toxic best makes best use of Chansey's incredible staying power and longevity, as Chansey can keep recovering itself till the opponent is defeated by the increasingly bad Toxic damage. Thunder Wave is an option if the team supporting Chansey would prefer frail, but powerful, offensive Pokemon to be slowed down rather than bulky walls to be Toxiced. However, it is important to note that Chansey itself has a harder time walling Pokemon without Toxic, and becomes more focused on giving team support. The EVs on Chansey are focused primarily on bolstering its very low physical Defense, to make the best use of the boosts Eviolite gives.</p>

<p>Chansey really appreciates support in dealing with Steel- and Poison-type Pokemon, primarily Scizor and Gengar. Both are able to either counter this set or use it for free setup, making Pokemon such as Skarmory and Assault Vest Tyranitar good partners. Physical walls like Zygarde or Hippowdon are also appreciated, as they are able to switch in on many of the major physical threats to Chansey.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Steel- and Poison-type Pokemon do fantastically against Chansey. Chansey cannot touch Poison-type Pokemon, while Steel-type Pokemon can abuse Chansey's ability to only do a set amount of damage as setup bait. Strong Fighting-type Pokemon also do very well against Chansey, such as Conkeldurr and Mienshao, constantly threatening Chansey with STAB Fighting-type attacks.</p>

1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)