[COMPLETED] Diggersby

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Hey you. Yeah you. See this big belly here? I eat ghost swords for breakfast.
QC Approvals: Alexwolf, Ginganinja, SOMALIA, Shakeitup
GP Approvals: Zystral

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Diggersby has Huge Power to make up for its middling Attack, turning it into a fearsome physical attacker that surpasses even Groudon in terms of STAB moves.</li>
<li>It has some great STAB options that certainly don't lack in coverage or power.</li>
<li>Diggersby's Normal typing makes it immune to Ghost-type moves such as the popular Shadow Sneak, while Ground typing gives it an immunity to Electric-type attacks and thus Thunder Wave.</li>
<li>The above makes it a fairly good check to Aegislash; in fact, it can OHKO common variants of its Shield Forme with Earthquake with or without boosting items. But it can't switch into Sacred Sword or Iron Head.</li>
<li>Diggersby is fairly fast and averagely bulky for a Huge Power user, enough to outrun some defensive walls and slow offensive threats.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Its reliance on Normal- and Ground-type moves may make it fail against some Ghost-, Steel-, and Flying-types.</li>
<li>It is slow overall.</li>
<li>A bit frail, and weak to common Grass-, Water-, Fighting-, and Ice-type attacks.</li>
<li>It has four moveslot syndrome, so it can't cover everything at one time.</li>
<li>It is vulnerable to faster Ghost- and Rock-types, though fortunately the latter isn't exactly prominent.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>name: Choice Scarf<br />
move 1: Earthquake<br />
move 2: Return<br />
move 3: Wild Charge<br />
move 4: U-turn<br />
nature: Adamant / Jolly<br />
ability: Huge Power<br />
item: Choice Scarf<br />
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe</p>

<p>Choice Scarf allows Diggersby to be fast and powerful without resorting to Quick Attack, while also giving it a bit of utility as a revenge killer. Specifically, with an Adamant nature, it is fast enough to outrun Greninja, while with a Jolly nature it can outrun +1 Adamant Gyarados and Dragonite. Keep in mind, however, that Diggersby's STAB attacks are rather easy to switch in on due to their immunities being common, so it may be best to use U-turn to scout and deal some damage at the same time first. Wild Charge is used to deal great damage to Flying- and Water-types, though most of the time it is more worthwhile to use Return on them as it is overall more powerful against threats outside of those mentioned.</p>

<p>name: Swords Dance<br />
move 1: Swords Dance<br />
move 2: Earthquake<br />
move 3: Quick Attack<br />
move 4: Wild Charge / Return<br />
item: Life Orb<br />

<p>With Swords Dance, Diggersby becomes a deceptively great wallbreaker that can mow down slower defensive or balanced teams while holding its own against some offensive ones. Even without Swords Dance, Diggersby is reasonably powerful thanks to Life Orb, though it should find an opportunity to use it in order to power up both Quick Attack against faster foes, and Earthquake to KO slow walls and tanks. Also keep in mind that Diggersby is somewhat frail, so it should aim to set up on weak defensive Pokemon or Choice-locked threats. In the last slot, Wild Charge gives Diggersby better coverage, especially against Skarmory, Gyarados, and other bulky Water- and Flying-types. Return, however, is an alternative STAB that does explosive damage if Quick Attack or Earthquake are insufficient against certain threats.</p>

<p>name: Agility<br />
move 1: Agility<br />
move 2: Earthquake<br />
move 3: Return<br />
move 4: U-Wild Charge / Swords Dance<br />
item: Life Orb<br />

<p>Diggerby is reasonably powerful just with Life Orb, making Agility a viable option, and thus reducing the need for Quick Attack somewhat. However, Agility must only be used if faster threats exist on the opposing team, as it offers no valuable offensive boost otherwise. The only moves up for debate are Wild Charge and Swords Dance. Whereas Wild Charge is still very useful for Skarmory and miscellaneous Water-types, Swords Dance gives Diggersby much needed utility against defensive Pokemon, which Agility typically won't help against. Due to Diggersby's average bulk, it is ill-advised to try setting up both boosting moves.</p>

<p>name: Choice Band<br />
move 1: Earthquake<br />
move 2: Quick Attack<br />
move 3: Return<br />
move 4: Wild Charge / U-turn<br />
item: Choice Band<br />

<p>With a Choice Band, Diggersby gains utility as a hard-hitting attacker without Life Orb recoil, and is a decent alternative over similar Pokemon such as Azumarill due to its STAB Earthquake and Quick Attack's more neutral coverage. However, both moves, including Return, have common immunities, so this set must be used with some prediction and caution, especially since threats such as Gourgeist and Gengar are common. Aside from Wild Charge's additional coverage, U-turn is also very useful on this set to scout for Pokemon that may come in to wall Diggersby's other moves.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>It is naturally easy to check Diggersby due to its humongous power but average defenses, so threats such as Trevenant, Gourgeist, and barring Wild Charge, Gengar, Aerodactyl, and Skarmory can all switch in on all of Diggersby's main moves. Anything else must be wary though, as Diggersby does have near-perfect coverage on everything else. Priority users such as Talonflame, Conkeldurr, Breloom, Scizor, and Mega Kangaskhan are the best approach as Diggersby can otherwise manage faster threats with Agility or Quick Attack. Alternatively, faster threats that resist or are immune to Quick Attack will be sufficient enough as long as they don't accidentally switch into other moves. Gengar once again is a good example of this as it can switch into both Earthquake and Quick Attack, then either set up Substitute or just hit it with Focus Blast. Gourgeist and Trevenant are also resistant or immune to Diggersby's most commonly used moves.</p>

Last edited:

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd consider Adamant on the SD set, tbh. Since Huge Power doubles your original stat, a drop of 10% is actually massive when you get that doubled (you gain an additional 20% power with Adamant!!). THe difference that makes is actually very significant. For example, you're guaranteed to OHKO Ferrothorn with +2 Earthquake with Adamant, compared to a tiny chance of OHKOing with Jolly. You'd also want as much attack as possible to power up Quick Attack, too.

AccidentalGreed

Oh, you're actually right about that! I've been experimenting with Adamant more often that Jolly anyways due to my xenophobia for Hippowdon and Ferrothorn and not OHKO'ing them, so that's taken care of.

no adamant choice scarf? you hit 382 speed over greninja and just slaughter with eq/return. imo it's by far the best use of this thing, i hate setting up agilities and sword dances or hoping not to take hits...he's not as fast or bulky as you're hyping with his mediocre typing

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just make sure to tone down how good of a switch-in it is to Aegislash, as a single Iron Head / Sacred Sword is all it takes for this rabbit to take the mountains.

QC Approved 1/3

I think that the SD and Agility sets should be merged into one with some slashes going on?

Swords Dance / Agility
Quick Attack / Return
Earthquake
Wild Charge

Last edited:

AccidentalGreed

Hey SOMALIA. I appreciate the suggestion, but both sets quite frankly play rather differently due to different targets, checks, and counters, so for now they'll stay separate for simplicity.

Otherwise, this is all written up, and ready for that third QC check!

Hey SOMALIA. I appreciate the suggestion, but both sets quite frankly play rather differently due to different targets, checks, and counters, so for now they'll stay separate for simplicity.

Otherwise, this is all written up, and ready for that third QC check!
My bad yo, anyways nothing much to add bar mentions of Breloom and Conk as checks with their Fighting STABs. Gengar as well can one shot this thing with Focus Blast and can't be picked off with Quick Attack, immune to EQ as well.

QC APPROVED 3/3

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Diggersby has the ability Huge Power to make up for its middling Attack, turning it into a fearsome physical attacker.</li>
<li>It has some great STAB options that certainly don't lack in coverage or power.</li>
<li>Diggersby's Normal typing makes it immune to Ghost-type moves such as the popular Shadow Sneak, while Ground typing gives it an immunity to Electric-type attacks and thus Thunder Wave.</li>
<li>The above makes it a fairly good check to Aegislash, but it can't switch into Sacred Sword or Iron Head.</li>
<li>Diggersby is fairly fast and averagely bulky for a Huge Power user, enough to outrun some defensive walls and slow offensive threats.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Its reliance on Normal- and Ground-type moves may make it fail against some Ghost-, Steel-, and Flying-types.</li>
<li>It is slow overall.</li>
<li>A bit frail, and weak to common Grass-, Water-, Fighting-, and Ice-type attacks.</li>
<li>It has four moveslot syndrome, so it can't cover everything at one time.</li>
<li>It is vulnerable to faster Ghost- and Rock-types, though fortunately the latter isn't exactly prominent.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Diggersby @ Choice Scarf<br />
Ability: Huge Power<br />
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe <br />
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA) / Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)<br />
- Return<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Wild Charge<br />
- U-turn</p>

<p>The Choice Scarf allows Diggersby to be fast and powerful without resorting to Quick Attack, while also giving it a bit of utility as a revenge killer. Specifically, with an Adamant nature, it is fast enough to outrun Greninja, while with a Jolly nature it can outrun +1 Adamant Gyarados and Dragonite. Keep in mind, however, that Diggersby's STAB attacks are rather easy to switch in on due to their immunities being common, so it may be best to use U-turn to scout and deal some damage at the same time first. Meanwhile, Wild Charge is used to deal great damage to Flying- and Water-types, though most of the time it is more worthwhile to use Return on them as it is overall more powerful against threats outside of those mentioned.</p>

<p>Diggersby @ Life Orb<br />
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA) / Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)<br />
- Swords Dance<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Quick Attack<br />
- Wild Charge / Return</p>

<p>With Swords Dance, Diggersby becomes a deceptively great wallbreaker that can mow down slower defensive teams while holding its own against some offensive ones. Even without Swords Dance, Diggersby is reasonably powerful thanks to Life Orb, though it should find an opportunity to use it in order to power up both Quick Attack against faster foes, and Earthquake to KO slow walls and tanks. Also keep in mind that Diggersby is somewhat frail, so it should aim to set up on weak defensive Pokemon or Choice-locked threats. In the last slot, Wild Charge gives Diggersby better coverage, especially against Skarmory, Gyarados, and other bulky Water- and Flying-types. Return, however, is an alternative STAB that does explosive damage if Quick Attack or Earthquake are insufficient against certain threats.</p>

<p>Diggersby @ Life Orb<br />
Adamant (+Atk, -SpA) / Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)<br />
- Agility<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Return<br />
- Wild Charge / Swords Dance</p>

<p>Diggerby is reasonably powerful just with Life Orb, making Agility a viable option, and thus reducing the need for Quick Attack somewhat. However, Agility must only be used if faster threats exist on the opposing team, as it offers no valuable offensive boost otherwise. The only moves up for debate are Wild Charge and Swords Dance. Whereas Wild Charge is still very useful for Skarmory and miscellaneous Water-types, Swords Dance gives Diggersby much needed utility against defensive Pokemon, which Agility typically won't help against. Due to Diggersby's average bulk, it is ill-advised to try setting up both boosting moves.</p>

<p>Diggersby @ Choice Band<br />
Adamant (+Atk, -SpA) / Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Quick Attack<br />
- Return<br />
- Wild Charge / U-turn</p>

<p>With a Choice Band, Diggersby gains utility as a hard-hitting attacker without Life Orb recoil, and is a decent alternative over similar Pokemon such as Azumarill due to its STAB Earthquake and Quick Attack's more neutral coverage. However, both moves, including Return, have common immunities, so this set must be used with some prediction and caution. Aside from Wild Charge's additional coverage, U-turn is also very useful on this set to scout for Pokemon that may come in to wall Diggersby's other moves.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>It is naturally easy to check Diggersby due to its humongous power but average defenses, so Ghost-types such as Trevenant, Gourgeist, and barring Wild Charge, Gengar can all switch in on all of Diggersby's moves. Anything else must be wary though, as Diggersby does have near-perfect coverage on everything else. and the fact that it gets perfect coverage against most Pokemon save for Ghost-types such as Trevenant, Gourgeist, and, if it lacks Wild Charge, Gengar. [[not 100% sure what you were going for so I split these up]] Priority users such as Talonflame, Conkeldurr, Breloom, Scizor, and Mega Kangaskhan are the best approach as Diggersby can otherwise manage faster threats with Agility or Quick Attack. Alternatively, faster threats that resist or are immune to Quick Attack will be sufficient enough as long as they don't accidentally switch into other moves. Gengar once again is a good example of this as it can switch into both Earthquake and Quick Attack, and KO with Focus Blast.</p>

GP Approved

AccidentalGreed

Thank you for approving one of my most horrible attempts at writing in analyses ever Zystral

That being said, this is done! If there's objections, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Is it worth noting you can OHKO 252HP Shield Aegilashes without a Life Orb [e.g. you could run lefties or silk scarf] - I don't have a calc, I've just done testing on PO, so it might not be a guaranteed OHKO; if someone could calc that it would be really useful. But since countering Aegilash is one of its better traits, I think the possibility of other sets running an item not boosting earthquake still being able to beat aegilash is worth some note.

AccidentalGreed

Is it worth noting you can OHKO 252HP Shield Aegilashes without a Life Orb [e.g. you could run lefties or silk scarf] - I don't have a calc, I've just done testing on PO, so it might not be a guaranteed OHKO; if someone could calc that it would be really useful. But since countering Aegilash is one of its better traits, I think the possibility of other sets running an item not boosting earthquake still being able to beat aegilash is worth some note.
"...makes a fairy good check to Aegislash" is quite implicate enough. But I guess I might add that so the issue is settled.

I'd consider Adamant on the SD set, tbh. Since Huge Power doubles your original stat, a drop of 10% is actually massive when you get that doubled (you gain an additional 20% power with Adamant!!).
I keep seeing people post this math and it just doesn't work.

Say you've got a Pokemon with 300 Attack before Huge Power and 600 Attack after. If you give it an Adamant nature, it gets 330 Attack before Huge Power and 660 Attack after. It's a big jump, yes, but it's not a 20% jump. It's a jump by 20% of the original shitty 300 Attack stat that no one cares about, but only 10% of the final Attack. The benefit of running Adamant is the same as the benefit of any other high Attack Pokemon: a 10% increase to a very high stat is a big increase.

I know a name for the Choice Band set: "Azumaril meets Uncle Diggersby".

The Choice Band set looks highly viable for me (I like high-powered QuickAttacks :toast:).

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Spikes have been confirmed as an egg move for Diggersby so it definitely needs one set with them. I haven't tested it yet but i am thinking a bulky Spiking set that can also act as a good check to Aegislash (not being OHKOed bu any of Iron Head or Sacred Sword from full life, unlike offensive versions) could work well. Here is what i am thinking:

<p>Diggersby @ Leftovers<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def<br />
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)<br />
- Spikes<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide<br />
- U-turn / Quick Attack</p>

yeah I was wondering about a Spikes set. worth testing for sure. I'm thinking Adamant 188 HP / 252 Atk / 68 Spe might be a good spread; lets you outrun min Speed Rotom-W and smack it with Return if you choose to run it—though I realize that might be borderline Speed creep. If you don't, 252 HP / 252 Atk is probably fine. Either way, I think Spikes is definitely worth a set. Hell, you could even just have a Life Orb four attacks set with Spikes splashed in somewhere to set up on forced switches and then U-turn out.

AccidentalGreed

Changed the format of all the sets (and lol I'm still not adding that ridiculous set name).

And while I'd hate to sound conceited due to not having prior experience with Spikes, my counterargument is: come on guys, do you really want to run Spikes on something with so little turn opportunities (most of the time it's just attacking with LO-boosted attacks rather than setting up Swords Dance or Agility) and so average speed? I'm open to debate, but for now I'm not too sold, as are other QC members.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)