[Completed] Espeon

You might want to consider adding Pinsir to the Checks and Counters list. Prior to Mega Evolving, it can set up SR due to Mold Breaker, then OHKO with STAB Bug type attacks.

I used to run Dual screens, but have found that a lot of pokemon I switch into give me a chance to set up calm minds. Does anyone else use

-Reflect
-Calm Mind
-Dazzling Gleam
-Baton Pass

DG is so you can predict dragon and dark switch ins. I used to use Psychic, but most people switch into something that resists Psychic anyways, so I figured this would give me some better coverage. Also if I get into a CM war with a Reinculous I can take it out with DGs if he is running Psychic. If I can't handle the switch in I just BP the boost out to another poke.

Also has anyone used it in rated games? I would like to include Espeon so I can counter people who try to use status moves, but 3v3 leaves me with little options in finding a necessary role on my team. Are there any pokes that really benefit from CM boosts that can help cover Espeons checks/counters? Right now I'm thinking maybe Greninja or Volcarona.

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The idea is to set up the screens as quickly as possible in order for set-up sweepers to be able to boost up efficiently. Calm Mind only gives a 1.5* boost to special defense and can only really be used alongside special sweepers. I also see little reason in running Dazzling Gleam as the main move (over Psychic).

The idea is to set up the screens as quickly as possible in order for set-up sweepers to be able to boost up efficiently. Calm Mind only gives a 1.5* boost to special defense and can only really be used alongside special sweepers. I also see little reason in running Dazzling Gleam as the main move (over Psychic).
I assume Dazzling Gleam offers better coverage hitting Dark, Fighting and Dragon SE while Psychic hits Fighting and Poison SE

I just said why. In most cases someone will switch to something that resists Psychic, making it useless to have. I have pretty much never run into a situation where Psychic has done anything for me. Most people predict Psychic anyway, I don't know who would switch a Poison or Fighting type into an Espeon anyways.

Also passing CM + Reflect to something like a Modest Goodra could give it some extra bulk on the physical side plus the damage to get some OHKOs it couldn't get before.

And so my question is what are some good teammates for this kind of a set? Or are you saying to just use dual screens to let me switch to MegaKang, Volcarona, Aegislash so they can start boosting?

Last edited:

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1. This analysis is meant to provide a standard for the sets. 'Predictability' isn't really an issue because if this represents the Smogon's suggested set then most people will use it. And then guess what! Most people will run this set and the 'surprise factor' of Dazzling Gleam would've been redundant. It's not to say that this is the only set it can run. Psychic also has a higher BP and is mainly there so you're not set-up bait. I brought this up to Crypto as well and he agrees that Psychic should easily be kept in this place.

2. Good teammates are those that appreciate it's support. It is a Pokemon that doesn't really need support in itself but rather it should be the one providing it. For this reason the only real relevant teammates that should be mentioned are those that a) have excellent synergy with it or b) that can use the support it provides effectively.

Thanks.

I think xatu serves a better role with magic bounce, although weak to ice and electric which can be nullified by using roost, it's part flying type gives it better switch in options to set up wizards. It threatens ferro etc even scizor better with heatwave, keeps breloom in double check with access to psyshock/chic, provides u turn support to volt-turn cores, can baton pass too, wish pass, list is endless almost and can provide this all with a better bulk/typing than espeon can. Scizor/genesect/lando t won't ohko xatu with u turn which they're all capable of doing to espeon, the only thing xatu fears from scizor is pursuit but so does espeon, base 95 speed isn't terrible and you can get away with not investing in it too deeply to counter sub/toxic defensive gliscor as xatu doesn't fear earthquake.

Xatu
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 132 HP / 188 Def / 140 SAtk / 48 Spd
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I use this build and it performs much better than espeon imo with scarf genesect running around, 48 speed and timid means it can outspeed jolly scizor albeit not common but being kept in check by such little ev investment doesn't hurt, it also out speeds defensive gliscor. 188 def gives it more than sufficient defensive bulk to survive stabs from set up walls and breloom/scizor, 132hp hits a leftovers % and by not investing in sp def means genesect gets a sp atk boost against it rather than a physical one which eases pressure on the rest of the team by not having to worry about +1 u turns which are arguably worse. 140 sp atk investment means you can run expert belt and get a guaranteed ohko on specially defensive sword dance scizor. Heatwave is obvious to check all the common steel walls and bulky amoonguss, psyshock is a 2nd win condition against amoonguss since it's stab and also keeps breloom in check. Roost to keep xatu in the game more. Now the 4th move is filler and in gen6 can be your best friend too, since xatu gets access to the much sought after defog meaning if u mis-predict and ur opponent gets rocks up xatu can be your pseudo spinner too, hp ice is an offensive filler and can dent many pokemon on the switch as well as gliscor 1v1. Toxic can also be used to play stall games with chansey etc, u turn to give volturn support. There's so much more viable, can use trick with choice specs/scarf to further cripple everything it already checks or could even outspeed mega gengar that may try to revenge kill it thinking it can trap and outspeed. Xatu also takes about half dmg from specially defensive heatran meaning it can stall it with roost if it comes in on the switch, or if heatran switches in and has hp ice, roost up to nullify its ice weakness.

So yeh, gen 6 ou xatu analysis please :P
A magic bounce user should be able to switch in as easily as possible to block any incoming status moves and a mon weak to SR is always second tier in that regard. Also the set you are listing is silly; you're trying to use an offensive set on a support mon with weaker offensive stats than espeon (who is still, by serious players, not used as an offensive mon). If you're going to use Xatu it would be for the same set: magic bounce and screens support, which espeon does better, what with not being weak to SR and being significantly faster. Xatu isn't making OU any time soon.

A magic bounce user should be able to switch in as easily as possible to block any incoming status moves and a mon weak to SR is always second tier in that regard. Also the set you are listing is silly; you're trying to use an offensive set on a support mon with weaker offensive stats than espeon (who is still, by serious players, not used as an offensive mon). If you're going to use Xatu it would be for the same set: magic bounce and screens support, which espeon does better, what with not being weak to SR and being significantly faster. Xatu isn't making OU any time soon.
Additionally, with the Weather nerf, Rain and Sand aren't nearly as prevalent, and Morning sun is more viable than ever before, allowing Espeon to better run a bulky recovery set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)