<p>Galvantula @ Focus Sash / Life Orb<br />
Ability: Compound Eyes<br />
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe<br />
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)<br />
- Sticky Web<br />
- Thunder<br />
- Bug Buzz<br />
- Volt Switch / Hidden Power Ice</p>

<p>Sticky Web is the name of the game for Galvantula. Gen VI brought with it an entry hazard that lowers the grounded opponent's Speed by one stage upon switching in, and Galvantula was one of the lucky few to receive it. Galvantula will usually be in the lead position to set up Sticky Web as soon as possible, so Focus Sash is useful for guaranteeing that it gets set up on turn one. However, Galvantula's Special Attack is only passable, so Life Orb can also be used to hit foes harder after setting up Sticky Web but before inevitably being taken down. Thanks to Compound Eyes, Galvantula gets a 91% accurate Thunder, making it the best STAB move available and somewhat mitigating it's middling Special Attack. Bug Buzz is the secondary STAB move, and is the best move Galvantula has to hit Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Mega Venusaur. It also got a new buff that allows it to hit through Substitutes, which, though uncommon, is a nice bonus. The last slot is important, and can be used in a few different ways. Volt Switch is the main option, as it lets Galvantula set up Sticky Web and hopefully escape unharmed the next turn and grab momentum for the rest of the team. Hidden Power Ice gives Galvantula pseudo Bolt-Beam coverage and hits Pokemon such as Gliscor for super effective damage. Hidden Power Fire can be used to 2HKO Excadrill on the switch, but that's really the only coverage it gets. It's important to note that if Hidden Power Fire is used in the last slot, then Life Orb is the recommended item. Without it, Galvantula cannot get the KOs mentioned above. Substitute can be used over Bug Buzz and alongside Hidden Power Fire to force Excadrill to either Rapid Spin and get KOed or Earthquake and not remove hazards.</p>

<p>Just about every team can benefit from Sticky Web, but bulky offensive and hyper offensive teams gain the most from its use. Pokemon such as Conkeldurr and Dragonite benefit from it simply because they are slower offensive Pokemon and appreciate being able to outspeed their opponents without having to resort to priority. Mega Pokemon such as Lucario and Absol appreciate it because it lets them outspeed the opponent without having to wait a turn to Mega Evolve. Other good teammates include spin blockers. Excadrill is a pain for Galvantula to face if it doesn't have Hidden Power Fire, so Trevenant or Gourgeist can be used, as they are the only spin blockers that can beat it. Coincidentally, Rapid Spinners such as Excadrill also make good partners. Galvantula is weak to all forms of hazards, and Excadrill can spin them all away. Additionally, teams using Sticky Web hate opposing Sticky Web users such as Smeargle and Shuckle, so Excadrill can really help against them too.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The new buff to Defog makes it an unblockable Rapid Spin, meaning that Galvantula cannot do much to stop it from getting rid of its Sticky Web. That being said, Mandibuzz is really the only viable user of it at the moment, and it loses to Galvantula. Excadrill beats all forms of Galvantula that lack Life Orb Hidden Power Fire, and can Rapid Spin to remove Sticky Web. Setup Pokemon can take advantage of the turn that Galvantula uses to set Sticky Web, but most have to watch out for the Focus Sash set. Dragonite is a prime example of this, as it can beat Life Orb Galvantula, but loses if Galvantula has Focus Sash and Hidden Power Ice. Mega Charizard X can come in as its normal forme and avoid Sticky Web, then Mega Evolve to resist Galvantula's STAB moves and set up. Talonflame can avoid Sticky Web, outspeed and OHKO with Flare Blitz, but must watch out for Focus Sash. Tyranitar and Hippowdon can both live one of Galvantula's attacks and bring it down to its Focus Sash before it dies to sandstorm damage. This mostly forces Galvantula to Sticky Web without letting it do any actual damage.</p>

Last edited:
I think sash and volt are the right choices for him. He just needs to do his job and get out, allowing for slower setters or sweepers to come in.

I know that Bug Buzz gets through sub, but in my experience it just seems to sit there on the movepool quite often. Slash a thunder wave maybe?

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
<li>Bad defensive typing</li>
Only two weaknesses, Rock and Fire. Hmm I've seen worse honnestly. Granted it "only" has 4 resistances, I'd blame the fraitly on the crispity bulk.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I feel Substitute could be a usable alternative, although probably not worth it's own slash. If used in place of Bug Buzz, it can put Excadrill in an unfavourable situation: either spin and get 2HKOed by HP Fire, or break the Sub and watch Galvantula run away to get Sticky Web back up later.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, I added a mention of Substitute because I do believe it has some use, thanks New World Order. I also changed the bit about the defensive typing because really it's only bad because it's weak to Stealth Rock and has terrible bulk, but I already mention the bulk issue. Its weakness to all types of hazards, in conjunction with it's poor defenses, makes it hard to switch in if Sticky Web has been spun/defogged away. Thanks for pointing that out Remedy!

And I also wish Galvantula got U-Turn :C

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you don't want to make HP Fire the first option on the last slot then you definitely need to mention some spinblocking teammates for Excadrill. Gourgeist is your best bet, which counters Excadrill with or without sand up, but unfortunately it doesn't have so good defensive synergy with Galvantula.

Great job Halcyon

QC Approved 1/3

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Thanks alexwolf! I'll mention some spin blockers that work well against Excadrill. However, I think I'm going to ad HP Fire to the final slot, because it really is a decent option.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Don't forget to mention that Tyranitar/Hippowdon are checks in the lead matchup because of Sandstream + Rock move (it forces you to sacrifice Galvantula or switch out)

QC APPROVED (3/3)

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Ok, this is written up! I'd like it to be checked by QC one more time though because PK gave me my last check before it was written.

add
remove
comments
[Pros]
(these are supposed to be complete sentences)
<ul>
<li>M Galvantula is the most viable user of Sticky Web.</li>
<li>G It possesses great Speed.</li>
<li>P It has a passable Special Attack.</li>
<li>Compound Eyes means it can run Thunder.</li>
<li>G It has a great unique offensive typing.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>W Galvantula is weak to all entry hazards, making switching hard.</li>
<li>H Its horrible bulk means it won't last long.</li>
<li>A It has a bit of four moveslot syndrome.</li>
<li>Reliance It relies on LO Life Orb to do real damage, and Focus Sash to stay alive.</li>
<li>Defog was buffed.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Galvantula @ Focus Sash / Life Orb<br />
Ability: Compound Eyes<br />
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe<br />
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)<br />
- Sticky Web<br />
- Thunder<br />
- Bug Buzz<br />
- Volt Switch / Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire</p>

<p>Sticky Web is the name of the game for Galvantula. Gen VI brought with it an entry hazard that lowers the grounded opponent's Speed by one stage upon switching in, and Galvantula was one of the lucky few to receive it. Galvantula will usually be in the lead position to set up Sticky Web as soon as possible, so Focus Sash is useful for guaranteeing that it gets set up on turn one. However, Galvantula's Special Attack is only passable, so Life Orb can also be used to hit foes harder after setting up Sticky Web but before inevitably being taken down. Thanks to Compound Eyes, Galvantula gets a 91% accurate Thunder, making it the best STAB move available and somewhat mitigating it'(apostrophe)s middling Special Attack. Bug Buzz is the secondary STAB move, and is the best move Galvantula has to hit Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Mega Venusaur. It also got a new buff that allows it to hit through Substitutes, which, though uncommon, is a nice bonus. The last slot is important, and can be used in a few different ways. Volt Switch is the main option, as it lets Galvantula set up Sticky Web and hopefully escape unharmed the next turn and grab momentum for the rest of the team. Hidden Power Ice gives Galvantula pseudo Bolt-(hyphen)Beam coverage and hits Pokemon like such as Gliscor for super effective damage. Lastly, Hidden Power Fire is good because it can OHKO Defog Scizor and 2HKO Excadrill on the switch. It's important to note that if Hidden Power Fire is used in the last slot, then Life Orb is the recommended item. Without it, Galvantula cannot get the KOs mentioned above. Substitute can be used over Bug Buzz and alongside Hidden Power Fire to force Excadrill to either Rapid Spin and get KOed or Earthquake and not remove hazards.</p>

<p>Just about every team can benefit from Sticky Web, but particularly bulky offensive and hyper offensive teams gain the most from its use. Pokemon like such as Conkeldurr and Dragonite benefit from it simply because they are slower offensive Pokemon and appreciate being able to outspeed their opponents without having to resort to priority. Mega Pokemon like such as Lucario and Absol appreciate it because it lets them outspeed the opponent without having to wait a turn to mega evolve Mega Evolve. Other good teammates include spin(space)blockers. Excadrill is a pain for Galvantula to face if it doesn't have Hidden Power Fire, so Trevenant or Gourgeist can be used, as they are the only spin(space)blockers that can beat it. Coincidentally, Rapid Spinners likessuch as Excadrill also make good partners. Galvantula is weak to all forms of hazards, and Excadrill can spin them all away. Additionally, teams using Sticky Web hate (i assume this is what you mean) opposing Sticky Web users like such as Smeargle and Shuckle, so Excadrill can really help against them too.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The new buff to Defog makes it an unblockable Rapid Spin, meaning that Galvantula cannot do much to stop it from getting rid of its Sticky Web. That being said, Skarmory, Crobat, and Scizor all lose one-(hyphen)on-(hyphen)one with Galvantula, so as long as it remains alive, Sticky Web should be on the field. Excadrill beats all forms of Galvantula that lack Life Orb Hidden Power Fire, and can Rapid Spin to remove Sticky Web. Setup Pokemon can take advantage of the turn that Galvantula uses to set Sticky Web, but most have to watch out for the Focus Sash set. Dragonite is a prime example of this, as it can beat Life Orb Galvantula, but loses if Galvantula has Focus Sash and Hidden Power Ice. Mega Charizard X can come in as its normal forme and avoid Sticky Web, then mega evolve Mega Evolve to resist Galvantula's STAB moves and set up. Talonflame can avoid Sticky Web, outspeed and OHKO with Flare Blitz, but must watch out for Focus Sash. Tyranitar and Hippowdon can both live one of Galvantula's attacks and bring it down to its Focus Sash before it dies to Sand Stream sandstorm damage. This mostly forces Galvantula to Sticky Web without letting it do any actual damage.</p>

gp 1/1

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
you installed that grammar check wrong. dont just cp it in.
Um, I didn't just cp it. I went through it and checked again, though. the only thing I missed was that I let LO next to Life Orb, but other than that I made all of the changes.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Reading this I've realised it has a couple of extra changes to its set are worth considering.
Firstly is the usage of Electroweb.
This should be slashed as an additional option for its fourth move-slot. It allows it to beat other leads it would otherwise (whilst, granted, still getting up sticky web) simply lose to, such as Blaziken.
Secondly, there is the option to nut run thunder, and thus run Swarm (Or unnerve). The logic behind this is that you can still switch out to a main sweeper after setting up sticky web, keeping volt switch, and you also have a bug type STAB in bug buzz, however this both bypasses substitutes, and, with its high speed and focus sash making it actually an abusable ability, it also gains the bonus from Swarm. This also leaves room in the third slot for a coverage move relevant to the team, as is used in the main set.
Sorry to be trying to add to a completed analysis, but I feel like these points deserve a mention, even if granted it's just under 'other options'.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
According to the Scizor thread, Defog Scizor isn't available pre-Pokebank due to lack of breeding partners so not sure if HP Fire is important enough to be of mention.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
According to the Scizor thread, Defog Scizor isn't available pre-Pokebank due to lack of breeding partners so not sure if HP Fire is important enough to be of mention.
It still 2HKOs Excadrill, but you're right, it's definitely more of an AC move now, I think. I'll update it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)