[COMPLETED] Mamoswine

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Mammoth Pig

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Mamoswine's typing gives it the ability to hurt Dragon- and Steel-types, along with near perfect coverage.</li>
<li>Because of Ice Shard, Mamoswine is a premier Dragon-type check.</li>
<li>Mamoswine is one of few available Stealth Rock users with an offensive presence.</li>
<li>The XY buff to Oblivious means that Stealth Rock cannot be stopped by Taunt.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Mamoswine possesses a bad defensive typing and mediocre Speed.</li>
<li>The versatility of Mamoswine has decreased due to losing 2 of its better moves: Superpower on the Life Orb set and Endeavor on the anti-lead set.</li>
<li>Defog makes the guaranteed SR from the anti-Lead less useful.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Icicle Crash
move 2: Ice Shard
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Stealth Rock / Stone Edge
nature: Jolly / Adamant
ability: Thick Fat
item: Life Orb / Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
ivs: 29 HP

<p>Mamoswine's attacks hit very hard, coming from base 130 Attack and a Life Orb. Its low Speed can let it down, which results in the important choice between Jolly and Adamant. Adamant will leave Mamoswine slower than all positive-natured base 70 speed Pokemon, such as Politoed and Breloom, which can be a problem at times. However, Adamant provides a notable boost in power versus some important Pokemon. For example, with an Adamant nature, Mamoswine doesn't need to predict Hippowdon switching in. The combination of Earthquake + Icicle Crash is very likely to KO Hippowdon. With a Jolly nature, Mamoswine would need to predict and Icicle Crash on the switch-in. A Choice Band is an alternative option to boost Mamoswine's power, though the combination of STABs is a big part of what makes Mamoswine so potent. Because the 29 HP IVs serve to minimize both Life Orb and Stealth Rock damage, and the Choice Band variant only cares about the Stealth Rock damage, Choice Band Mamoswine should run 31 HP IVs, rather than the listed 29.</p>

<p>Ice Shard is incredibly useful to revenge kill Dragon-types such as Garchomp or Salamence, but also other threats weak to Ice, such as Hawlucha and Breloom. For Breloom, be sure to use a Jolly Nature, as Adamant Mamoswine's Ice Shard will be outsped by Jolly Breloom's Mach Punch. In the final moveslot, Mamoswine can either run Stealth Rock to provide team support or Stone Edge to help cover Rotom-W, who doesn't mind either of Mamoswine's STABs, and defensive Gyarados who can Intimidate Mamoswine and not mind Icicle Crash much. Be wary of using Stealth Rock if it will result in Mamoswine no longer being able to check the sweepers your team needs it to check.</p>

<p>One of the biggest threats to Mamoswine is a bulky Water-type that threatens to use Scald. For this reason, pairing Mamoswine with a teammate or two that don't mind switching into a Scald is a good idea. Two options are Starmie and Toxicroak.</p>

[SET]
name: Focus Sash
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Ice Shard
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Icicle Crash / Stone Edge
nature: Jolly / Adamant
ability: Oblivious
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

<p>This anti-lead set has access to a nearly-guaranteed Stealth Rock to begin the game, beaten only by sleep and multi-hit moves, as Focus Sash protects against all other KOs. Unlike other potential Stealth Rock leads, Mamoswine maintains an offensive presence, due to its high Attack and great STABs. This also means that if your opponent's lead also lays entry hazards, you may have a chance to use Stealth Rock, attack with Mamoswine and then following up with another attack, possibly Ice Shard, in order to KO Mamoswine's foe, all before falling. This Mamoswine set should be played on an offensive team, mainly because the almost-guaranteed Stealth Rock pairs well with many offensive threats who need Stealth Rock to get around a check or a counter.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>There is a relatively short list of Pokemon who can reliably switch into Mamoswine: Skarmory, Bronzong, Rotom-W, Avalugg, and defensive Gyarados. However, there are many checks, offensive and defensive. On the defensive side, many bulky Water-types may not appreciate switching in repeatedly on an Earthquake, but if they can come in on Icicle Crash, they threaten Mamoswine out with Scald. On the offensive side, the most notable check—one all Mamoswine users should plan to deal with—is Scizor. Also, most things faster than Mamoswine that are not weak to Ice Shard serve as good checks.</p>

<p>The anti-lead set has different counters, given that it aims to set up Stealth Rock above all else. However, it can be stopped by sleep or multi-hit moves from Pokemon such as Roserade or Heracross. Additionally, Magic Bounce Espeon or Xatu, Defog, and Rapid Spin provide three good options for opponents to keep anti-lead Mamoswine from accomplishing its goal.</p>

Last edited:

Bughouse

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Getting a first comment in here for a question: LO Mamoswine has 361 HP. Wouldn't it be better to have 29 HP IVs and have 359 HP instead? This wasn't onsite before, but it seems logical to me.

Getting a first comment in here for a question: LO Mamoswine has 361 HP. Wouldn't it be better to have 29 HP IVs and have 359 HP instead? This wasn't onsite before, but it seems logical to me.
Works out better for SR as well: floor(359/8)=44, floor(361/8)=45.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mamoswine can't get Stealth Rock nor Superpower until December because it gets both though TMs/tutors. You might want to put Substitute, Sandstorm (might pair well with offensive Excadrill teams), or simply Stone Edge or Return (I guess?) instead of those moves. Substitute is actually a neat move for Mamoswine, as it lets him use Earthquake or Icicle Crash/Spear on the incoming opponent instead of Ice Shard. Sandstorm, as I said, is cool because it can be used to help Excadrill though its utility mostly stops there. Return and Stone Edge are Mamoswine's only options for hitting Rotom-W as well as Charizard (-Y) and Talonflame if it still has its Focus Sash intact. Not sure which moves you like/want to put on the set, but those are the ones I see being decent. December can't come fast enough...

Bughouse

whoops... the Superpower I can deal with. The loss of SR would just make me cry :'(
Mamoswine gets SR via egg move in Gen V, including from Smeargle. Should still work fine.

That was the whole exciting part about the Oblivious buff. Ah well.

EDIT: ha, thanks for the photo evidence!

Bughouse

The problem, it seems, however, is it can't learn Endeavor so that Anti-Lead set is a lot weaker anyway, even with the Oblivious boost.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
<li>Anti-meta is Mamo's name, Ice/Ground bypasses Dragons and Steels, near perfect coverage (Bronzong, Shedinja, Rotom-W)</li>
Change this cheesy line to something more appropriate. Dragon-types are no longer such a centralizing force in OU, so calling Mamoswine anti-meta is a hyperbole.

Replace Return with Stone Edge on the first set.

Add teammates for both sets.

Add Avalugg and defensive Gyarados as counters.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi srk1214 , are you still working on this? It's been quite a while since Alexwolf told you to implement the above changes, so I'd appreciate it if you could respond in 24 hours!

Bughouse

AccidentalGreed and any other QC who may come by to turn this over to someone else:
Just letting you know I'm still doing Mamoswine, Gothitelle, and Dugtrio (which I haven't even WIPed) for that matter. Life got crazy for a bit, but I'm good to go and get back on these after dinner tonight.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
O.k sooooooooo

SR should be first slash IMO. Its always good on LO Mamoswine, and until PokeBank is released we have a limited pool of SRers, thus SR is p good on Mamo.

Agree with the rest of Alexwolfs comments.

Bughouse

Thanks for the 2 QCs, writing this up.

...and written

Last edited:

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Ice/Ground bypasses many common Dragons and Steels Mamoswine's typing gives it the ability to hurt Dragon- and Steel-types, along with near perfect coverage.</li>
<li>Because of Ice Shard, Mamoswine is a premier Dragon-type check.</li>
<li>Mamoswine is one of few available Stealth Rock users with an offensive presence.</li>
<li>The XY buff to Oblivious means that Stealth Rock cannot be stopped by Taunt.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Mamoswine possesses a bad defensive typing and mediocre Speed.</li>
<li>The versatility of Mamoswine has decreased due to losing 2 of its better moves: Superpower on the Life Orb set and Endeavor on the anti-lead set.</li>
<li>Defog makes the guaranteed SR from the anti-Lead less useful.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Mamoswine @ Life Orb / Choice Band<br />
Ability: Thick Fat<br />
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe<br />
IVs: 29 HP<br />
Jolly / Adamant Nature<br />
- Icicle Crash <br />
- Ice Shard<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Stealth Rock / Stone Edge</p>

<p>Mamoswine's attacks hit very hard, coming from base 130 Attack and a Life Orb. Its low Speed can let it down, which results in the important choice between Jolly and Adamant. Adamant will leave Mamoswine slower than all positive-natured base 70 Speed Pokemon, such as Politoed and Breloom, which can be a problem at times. However, Adamant provides a notable boost in power versus some important Pokemon. For example, with an Adamant nature, Mamoswine doesn't need to predict Hippowdon switching in. The combination of Earthquake + Icicle Crash is very likely to KO Hippowdon. With a Jolly nature, Mamoswine would need to predict and Icicle Crash on the switch-in. A Choice Band is an alternative option to boost Mamoswine's power, though the combination of STABs is a big part of what makes Mamoswine so potent. Because the 29 HP IVs serve to minimize both Life Orb and Stealth Rock damage, and the Choice Band variant only cares about the Stealth Rock damage, Choice Band Mamoswine should run 31 HP IVs, rather than the listed 29.</p>

<p>Ice Shard is incredibly useful to revenge kill Dragon-types, such as Garchomp or Salamence, but also other threats weak to Ice, such as Hawlucha and Breloom. For Breloom, be sure to use a Jolly Nature, as Adamant Mamoswine's Ice Shard will be outsped by Jolly Breloom's Mach Punch. In the final moveslot, Mamoswine can either run Stealth Rock to provide team support or Stone Edge to help cover Rotom-W, who doesn't mind either of Mamoswine's STABs, and defensive Gyarados, who can Intimidate Mamoswine and not mind Icicle Crash much. Be wary of using Stealth Rock if it will result in Mamoswine no longer being able to check the sweepers your team needs it to check.</p>

<p>One of the biggest threats to Mamoswine is a bulky Water-types that threatens to use Scald. For this reason, pairing Mamoswine with a teammate or two that don't mind switching into a Scald is a good idea. Two options are Starmie and Toxicroak.</p>

<p>Mamoswine @ Focus Sash<br />
Ability: Oblivious<br />
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe<br />
Jolly / Adamant Nature<br />
- Stealth Rock<br />
- Ice Shard<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Icicle Crash / Stone Edge</p>

<p>This anti-lead set has access to a nearly-guaranteed Stealth Rock to begin the game, beaten only by sleep and multi-hit moves, as Focus Sash protects against all other KOs. Unlike other potential Stealth Rock leads, Mamoswine maintains an offensive presence, due to its high Attack and great STABs. This also means that if your opponent's lead also lays entry hazards, you may have a chance to use Stealth Rock, attack with Mamoswine and then following up with another attack, possibly Ice Shard, in order to KO Mamoswine's foe, all before falling. This Mamoswine set should be played on an offensive team, mainly because the almost-guaranteed Stealth Rock pairs well with many offensive threats who need Stealth Rock to get around a check or a counter.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>There is a relatively short list of Pokemon who can reliably switch into Mamoswine: Skarmory, Bronzong, Rotom-W, Avalugg, and defensive Gyarados. However, there are many checks, offensive and defensive. On the defensive side, many bulky Water-types may not appreciate switching in repeatedly on an Earthquake, but if they can come in on Icicle Crash, they threaten Mamoswine out with Scald. On the offensive side, the most notable check—one all Mamoswine users should plan to deal with [[it isn't higlighted v well by colour or bold, but add another hyphen there]] is Scizor. Also, most things faster than Mamoswine that are not weak to Ice Shard serve as good checks.</p>

<p>The anti-lead set has different counters, given that it aims above all to set up Stealth Rock above all else. However, it can be stopped by sleep or multi-hit moves, from Pokemon such as Roserade or Heracross. Additionally, Magic Bounce Espeon or Xatu, Defog, and Rapid Spin provide three good options for opponents to keep anti-lead Mamoswine from accomplishing its goal.</p>

How can you get Icicle Crash and Thick Fat on the same set? o-o I'm a little confused about that. I thought only males can pass down egg moves (i.e. Icicle Crash) when bred with Dittos?

Forgive my ignorance if I was misinformed; I'd love to get a thick fat attacking Mamoswine with Icicle Crash, just didn't think you could do it in this generation.

How can you get Icicle Crash and Thick Fat on the same set? o-o I'm a little confused about that. I thought only males can pass down egg moves (i.e. Icicle Crash) when bred with Dittos?

Forgive my ignorance if I was misinformed; I'd love to get a thick fat attacking Mamoswine with Icicle Crash, just didn't think you could do it in this generation.
Females can pass down egg moves as well.

Reactions: tab
I understand that, but, how can you get an egg move if the only way to pass down Thick Fat is to breed a male Mamoswine with Thick Fat and a Ditto?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)