[COMPLETED] Volcarona

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Volcarona

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Volcarona has access to Quiver Dance.</li>
<li>It achieves good coverage with its STABs and coverage moves.</li>
<li>It possesses great Speed, Special Attack, and Special Defense.</li>
<li>Defog means Stealth Rock is easier to eliminate for Volcarona.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>It's 4x weak to Stealth Rock.</li>
<li>Key Pokemon resist Volcarona's STABs, leaving it hard walled depending on its coverage move.</li>
<li>It requires support in the form or Rapid Spin or Defog.</li>
<li>Base 100 Speed leaves Volcarona vulnerable to Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Volcarona @ Lum Berry / Life Orb<br />
Ability: Flame Body<br />
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spd <br />
Modest (+SpA, -Atk) / Timid (+Spe, -Atk)<br />
- Quiver Dance<br />
- Bug Buzz<br />
- Fiery Dance / Fire Blast<br />
- Hidden Power Rock / Hidden Power Ice<br />

<p>This set takes advantage of Volcarona's great Speed and Special Attack. The EVs are used to maximize Speed and power, and a Modest nature to maximize power output. Timid allows Volcarona to speed tie with Choice Scarf Salamence after a Quiver Dance, but the power drop is significant. Quiver Dance is a fantastic move, boosting three stats at once. Bug Buzz and Fiery Dance provide strong, reliable STAB, while the latter even has a 50% chance to boost Volcarona's Special Attack. Fire Blast is a viable alternative to Fiery Dance, with much more immediate power. The boost is pretty important, because at +1 Volcarona fails to OHKO Hippowdon, unless it's using Fire Blast, which always OHKOes physically defensive Hippowdon. Hidden Power Rock hits Talonflame, Gyarados, Dragonite, and Salamence, usually OHKOing them after +1. Lum Berry is the item of choice to allow Volcarona to set up on Ferrothorn, Blissey, and other status inducers with little fear.</p>

<p>Volcarona can run a few items pretty effectively. Life Orb is a good option for the power boost. Passho Berry allows Volcarona to easily set up on Water-types such as Starmie without much fear. A bulkier spread of 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe with Leftovers and Roost can be used as it helps Volcarona set up Quiver Dances a lot easier, although the loss in coverage leaves Volcarona easily walled by the likes of Dragonite, Gyarados, and Talonflame. However, if you can deal with these Pokemon, this EV spread is perfectly viable. 16 Speed EVs are used to outspeed Alakazam at +2, while the rest is placed into HP and Defense, allowing Volcarona to easily set up on a lot of physical sweepers.</p>

<p>Good teammates are Pokemon that can support Volcarona in the form of removing entry hazards, such as spinners and Pokemon that use Defog. Keep in mind that Rapid Spin doesn't clear the opponent's side of the field of hazards and cannot be stopped by Taunt, while Defog cannot be spinblocked. Starmie, Excadrill, and Forretress are all viable rapid spinners. Starmie is one of the best spinners for Volcarona, because of the synergy and offensive momentum that Starmie provides. Viable users of Defog include Skarmory and Scizor. Skarmory can provide both Defog and Stealth Rocks. Scizor provides free switch-ins with its slow U-turn, and checks dangerous Pokemon. While you may be tempted to use Defog users such as Dragonite, Crobat, and Togekiss, the added weakness to Stealth Rock for your team makes them questionable options.</p>

<p>Good teammates include Pokemon that can deal with Volcarona's counters. This makes Fighting-types great partners, because of their ability to beat special walls such as Tyranitar and Blissey.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Although not really a Pokemon, Volcarona's biggest enemy is Stealth Rock. As Volcarona switches into Stealth Rock, it loses 50% of its health. Keeping Stealth Rock on the field with spinblockers and fast Taunt users is one of the best ways to keep Volcarona in check.</p>

<p>As for actual Pokemon, the best checks are Pokemon that resist both of Volcarona's STAB attacks. Dragalge, Talonflame, Gyarados, Salamence, Mega Charizard X, and Dragonite all resist the Fire and Bug combination, while in return they can all either phaze Volcarona or hit Volcarona hard with their STAB attacks. Volcarona's main coverage option at the moment is Hidden Power Rock, so be aware of that when using these Pokemon to check Volcarona. While Goodra doesn't resist Bug Buzz, it has a great Special Defense and can phaze Volcarona out with Dragon Tail. Choice Scarf users with a higher base Speed than 100 can revenge kill +1 Volcarona. While Volcarona resists most priority attacks, Aqua Jet users such as Azumarill and Kabutops quickly spell doom for Volcarona, while Extreme Speed users such as Dragonite and Lucario can pick off a weakened Volcarona.</p>

<p>Blissey and Chansey can generally sponge Volcarona's attacks with ease thanks to their gigantic HP and Special Defense stats. They can cripple Volcarona with either Thunder Wave or Toxic, but they must watch out for ChestoRest variants. Finally, the item Assault Vest allows Tyranitar to check Volcarona with its insane special bulk, while Tyranitar can easily OHKO in return.</p>

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Well eh, it's currently still being discussed, but that's the main reason why I included several times "once it's released", "not released yet" etc etc. Please remember this is just a skeleton and is obviously going to be edited.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yea get rid of that unreleased shit.

There isn't really any mention of the newer pokemon. Like, just off the top of my head, Talonflame seems an excellent check / counter, since it resists Fire Blast / BB / Giga (immune to HP Ground), and will always outspeed and OHKO Volcarona with its Gale Wing ability.

But ya, this needs a major revamp since this could legit be a Gen 5 skeleton, (bar the mention of Defog), and contains tons of mons that are unavailable.

I agree with ginganinga that the checks and counters section needs a few additions. Noivern and Charizard seem like two notable ones, as the former can check Volcarona due to its high Speed, resistance to every move Volcarona has, and Hurricane, while the latter can use Volcarona as setup bait in its base form, mega evolve, and sweep the Volcarona user's team.

I also think that HP Rock deserves a slash over HP Ground, as without Terrakion and Heatran, you aren't hitting much relevant with HP ground, while HP Rock allows Volcarona to get past a bunch of its checks (Gyarados, Salamence etc.) after a Quiver Dance boost.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
I've updated the counters section with Kabutops, Charizard X, Talonflame, Goodra, and Dragalge. I've also added a small description on Rapid Spin vs. Defog.

This looks good to go, just the part about Gyra,mence and charizard checking this thing pretty reliably needs mention of the more-often-than-not HP Rock which they should be wary of, especially considering its the primary move in the 4th slot.

A Modest nature can be used, but Timid out speeds crucial threats.
Just give a few examples here and since Modest is the main nature, if Timid is for crucial threats it should be slashed alongside it.

Aside from that

QC APPROVED 1/3

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
I've added this to the checks and counters section.

"Volcarona's main coverage option at the moment is Hidden Power Rock, so be aware of that when using these Pokemon to check Volcarona."

I've slashed Timid and added this

"Timid allows you to speed tie with Scarf Salamence, and out speed Scarf Scarf Genesect, but the power drop is significant."

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A reminder that Genesect is still unavailable and shouldn't be mentioned in the preview. Same goes for Heatran.

Also, be careful with what things can and can't learn Defog in XY at the moment. Anything that only learned it in Gen 4 via HM is no help right now, unless this has somehow become an egg move I am unaware of for Skarmory, for example. Scizor is fine though.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
I've just looked over it, and I've removed every mention of Heatran as well as Genesect. I'm researching about Skarmory and Defog right now, thanks for the heads up

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've removed every mention of Pokemon that have not been released yet.
Get rid of Scarf Jirachi in the analysis, I think you missed that one.

On another note, maybe a mention of a bulkier Volcarona would be nice. Other QCers can chime in on this since I think Lum's still the best set, but the bulky spread with 240 hp / 252 def / 16 spe with Leftovers and Roost helps it set up Quiver Dances a lot easier, although the loss in coverage kind of sucks. Maybe threats like Talonflame make this kind of set a bit less relevant, but I think it at least deserves a mention somewhere in the analysis if it isn't going to be its own set.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
Incorrectly quoting me >:( But eh, thanks for pointing it out.

As for Bulky Volc, I think a set is very viable. I'll start writing it up now as I think it's pretty viable too.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
any reason why fire blast isn't even mentioned in the analysis? I mean, offensive volc usually prefers the higher base power to fiery dance's chance to get extra boosts, especially when dealing with insanely bulky stuff like hippowdon.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
updated with a small description on fire blast

"Fiery Dance is STAB and has nice 50% chance of boost, but Fire Blast is certainly a viable option for the immediate power output."

thanks for reminding me

So I've talked to a few QC members including Plus, and we've agreed to mention bulky Volc in AC for now. Here's the description...

"A bulkier spread of 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe with Leftovers and Roost can be used as it helps Volcarona set up Quiver Dances a lot easier, although the loss in coverage leaves Volcarona easily walled by the likes of Dragonite, Gyarados, and Talonflame. However, if you can deal with these Pokemon this EV spread is perfectly viable. 16 Speed EVs are used to out speed Alakazam at +2, while the rest is placed into HP and Defense, allowing Volcarona to easily set up on a ot of physical sweepers."

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Good teammates that don't remove hazards are teammates that can deal with Volcarona's counters. This makes Fighting types great parthers, because of their abiltiy to beat Heatran, and Blissey.
What do you mean?

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
What do you mean?
Um, I was trying to say good team mates that don't support it via removing entry hazards. I know it looks kinda weird, so I'll edit it now.

EDIT: New version to make a lot more sense, as well as the removal of Heatran mention.

"Good teammates include Pokemon that can deal with Volcarona's counters. This makes Fighting types great partners, because of their ability to beat special walls like Tyranitar and Blissey."

add
remove
comment

[Pros]
(line break)

<ul>
<li>H Volcarona has access to Quiver Dance.</li>
<li>A It achieves good coverage with its STABs and coverage moves.</li>
<li>G It possesses great sSpeed, sSpecial aAttack, and Special dDefense.</li>
<li>Defog means Stealth Rocks are is easier to eliminate for Volcarona.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>x4 Weak It's 4x weak to Stealth Rock.</li>
<li>Key Pokemon resist Volcarona's STABs, leaving it hard walled depending on it'(apostrophe)s coverage move.</li>
<li>R It requires support in the form or Rapid Spin,(RC) or Defog.</li>
<li>Base 100 sSpeed leaves Volcarona vulnerable to Choice Scarf users like such as Garchomp.</li>
</ul>
(i just added periods after each of your points; not really sure if it's necessary but it can't hurt)
[Set Recommendations]

EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spd <br />
Modest (+SpA, -Atk) / Timid (+Spe, -Atk)(space)<br />
- Quiver Dance<br />
- Bug Buzz<br />
(i think we're supposed to use complete sentences, so i just cleaned this up a little)
<p>This set takes advantage of Volcarona's great sSpeed and sSpecial aAttack. The EVs are used to maximisze sSpeed and power, with and a Modest nature to maximisze power output. Timid allows you Volcarona to speed tie with Choice Scarf Salamence after a Quiver Dance, but the power drop is significant. Quiver Dance boosts stats, Bug Buzz is STAB, Fiery Dance is STAB and has nice 50% chance of boost, but Fire Blast is certainly a viable option for the immediate power output. Quiver Dance is a fantastic move, boosting three stats at once. Bug Buzz and Fiery Dance provide strong, reliable STAB, while the latter even has a 50% chance to boost Volcarona's Special Attack. Fire Blast is a viable alternative to Fiery Dance, with much more immediate power. The boost is pretty important, because at +1 you fail Volcarona fails to OHKO Hippowdon, unless you're it's using Fire Blast, which always OHKO'ses physically defensive Hippowdon. Hidden Power Rock hits Talonflame, Gyarados, Dragonite, and Salamence, usually OHKOing them after +1. Lum Berry is the item of choice to allow Volcarona to set up on Ferrothorn, Blissey, and other status inducers without little fear.</p>

<p>Volcarona can run a few items pretty effectively. Life Orb is a good option for the power boost. Passho Berry allows Volcarona to easily set up on Water-(hyphen)types like such as Starmie without much fear. A bulkier spread of 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe with Leftovers and Roost can be used as it helps Volcarona set up Quiver Dances a lot easier, although the loss in coverage leaves Volcarona easily walled by the likes of Dragonite, Gyarados, and Talonflame. However, if you can deal with these Pokemon,(AC) this EV spread is perfectly viable. 16 Speed EVs are used to out(space)speed Alakazam at +2, while the rest is placed into HP and Defense, allowing Volcarona to easily set up on a (!)lot of physical sweepers.</p>

<p>Good teammates are Pokemon that can support Volcarona in the form of removing entry hazards. This means Rapin Spinners , such as spinners and Pokemon that use Defog. Keep in mind that Rapid Spin doesn't clear your the opponent's side of the field of hazards and can(space)not be stopped by Taunt, while Defog cannot be spin(space)blocked. Starmie, Donphan, and Forretress are all viable rapid spinners. Starmie is one of the best spinners for Volcarona, because of the synergy and offensive momentum that Starmie provides. Viable users of Defog include Skarmory and Scizor. Skarmory can provide both Defog and Stealth Rocks. Scizor provides free switch-(hyphen)in'(apostrophe)s with it'(apostrophe)s slow U-turn, and checks dangerous Pokemon. While you may be tempted to use Defog users such as Dragonite, Crobat, and Togekiss, the added weakness to SR Stealth Rock for your team makes them questionable options.</p>

<p>Good teammates include Pokemon that can deal with Volcarona's counters. This makes Fighting-(hyphen)types great partners, because of their ability to beat special walls like such as Tyranitar and Blissey.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Although not really a Pokemon, Volcarona's biggest enemy is Stealth Rock. As Volcarona switches into Stealth Rock, it loses 50% of it'(apostrophe)s health. Keeping Stealth Rock on the field with Spin Blockers spinblockers and fast Taunt users is one of the best ways to keep Volcarona in check.</p>

<p>As for actual Pokemon, the best checks are Pokemon that resist both of Volcarona's STAB attacks. Dragalge, Talonflame, Gyarados, Salamence, Mega Charizard X, and Dragonite all resist the Fire + and Bug combination, while in return they can all either phaze Volcarona,(RC) or hit Volcarona hard with their STAB attacks. Volcarona's main coverage option at the moment is Hidden Power Rock, so be aware of that when using these Pokemon to check Volcarona. While Goodra doesn't resist Bug Buzz, it has a great Special Defense and can phaze Volcarona out with Dragon Tail. Choice Scarf users with a higher base sSpeed of than 100 can revenge kill +1 Volcarona,.(period) While Volcarona resists most priority attacks, Aqua Jet users such as Azumarill and Kabutops quickly spell doom for Volcarona, while Extreme Speed users like such as Dragonite and Lucario can pick off a weakened Volcarona.</p>

<p>Blissey and Chansey can generally sponge Volcarona's attacks with ease thanks to their gigantic HP and SpDef Special Defense stats. They can cripple Volcarona with either Thunder Wave or Toxic, but they must watch out for Chesto Resto ChestoRest variants. Finally, the item Assault Vest allows Tyranitar to check Volcarona with it'(apostrophe)s insane special bulk, while Tyranitar can easily OHKO in return.</p>

gp 1/1 ShootingStarmie
edit: updated pros/cons to complete sentences, as specified in sg standards

Last edited:
amcheck
Additions
Subtractions

Comments

<ul>
<li>Has access to Quiver Dance</li>
<li>Achieves good coverage with its STABs and coverage moves.</li>
<li>Great sSpeed, sSpecial aAttack, and sSpecial dDefense.</li>
<li>Defog means Stealth Rocks are easier to eliminate for Volcarona.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>x4 4x Wweak to Stealth Rock.</li>
<li>Key Pokemon resist Volcarona's STABs, leaving it hard walled depending on it'(RA)s coverage move.</li>
<li>Requires support in the form or Rapid Spin, or Defog.(AP)</li>
<li>Base 100 speed leaves Volcarona vulnerable to Choice Scarf users like Garchomp.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

EVs: 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef / 252 Sped <br />
Modest (+SpA, -Atk) / Timid (+Spe, -Atk) <br />
- Quiver Dance<br />
- Bug Buzz<br />

<p>Takes advantage of Volcarona's great sSpeed and sSpecial aAttack. EVs are used to maximisze sSpeed and power, with a Modest nature to maximise power output. Timid allows you to sSpeed tie with Choice Scarf Salamence, but the power drop is significant. Quiver Dance boosts stats, Bug Buzz is STAB, Fiery Dance is STAB and has nice 50% chance of boost, but Fire Blast is certainly a viable option for the immediate power output. The boost is pretty important, because at +1 you fail to OHKO Hippowdon, unless you're using Fire Blast, which always OHKO'es physically defensive Hippowdon. Hidden Power Rock hits Talonflame, Gyarados, Dragonite, and Salamence, usually OHKOing them atfter +1. Lum Berry is item of choice to allow Volcarona to set up on Ferrothorn, Blissey, and other status inducers without little(lol) fear.</p>

<p>Volcarona can run a few items pretty effectively. Life Orb is a good option for the power boost. Passho Berry allows Volcarona to easily set up on Water-(AH)types like such as Starmie without much fear. A bulkier spread of 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe with Leftovers and Roost can be used as it helps Volcarona set up Quiver Dances a lot easier, although the loss in coverage leaves Volcarona easily walled by the likes of Dragonite, Gyarados, and Talonflame. However, if you can deal with these Pokemon,(AC) this EV spread is perfectly viable. 16 Speed EVs are used to out(nospace)speed Alakazam at +2, while the rest is placed into HP and Defense, allowing Volcarona to easily set up on a lot of physical sweepers.</p>

<p>Good teammates are Pokemon that can support Volcarona in the form of removing entry hazards. This means Rapin Sspinners and Pokemon that use Defog. Keep in mind that Rapid Spin doesn't clear your side of the field of hazards and can not be stopped by Taunt, while Defog cannot be spin(nospace)blocked. Starmie, Donphan, and Forretress are all viable rapid spinners. Starmie is one of the best spinners for Volcarona, because of the synergy and offensive momentum that Starmie provides. Viable users of Defog include Skarmory and Scizor. Skarmory can provide both Defog and Stealth Rocks. Scizor provides free switch-(AH)in'(RA)s with it'(RA)s slow U-turn, and checks dangerous Pokemon. While you may be tempted to use Defog users such as Dragonite, Crobat, and Togekiss, the added weakness to Stealth Rock for your team makes them questionable options.</p>

<p>Good teammates include Pokemon that can deal with Volcarona's counters. This makes Fighting-(AH)types great partners, because of their ability to beat special walls like such as Tyranitar and Blissey.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Although not really a Pokemon, Volcarona's biggest enemy is Stealth Rock. As Volcarona switches into Stealth Rock, it loses 50% of it's health. Keeping Stealth Rock on the field with Spin Blockers spinblockers and fast Taunt users is one of the best ways to keep Volcarona in check.</p>

<p>As for actual Pokemon, the best checks are Pokemon that resist both of Volcarona's STAB attacks. Dragalge, Talonflame, Gyarados, Salamence, Charizard X, and Dragonite all resist the Fire + Bug combination, while in return they can all either phaze Volcarona, or hit Volcarona hard with their STAB attacks. Volcarona's main coverage option at the moment is Hidden Power Rock, so be aware of that when using these Pokemon to check Volcarona. While Goodra doesn't resist Bug Buzz, it has a great Special Defense and can phaze Volcarona out with Dragon Tail. Choice Scarf users with a higher base speed of 100 can revenge kill +1 Volcarona, While Volcarona resists most priority attacks, Aqua Jet users such as Azumarill and Kabutops quickly spell doom for Volcarona, while Extreme(nospace)Speed users like such as Dragonite and Lucario can pick off a weakened Volcarona.</p>

<p>Blissey and Chansey can generally sponge Volcarona's attacks with ease thanks to their gigantic HP and Special Defense stats. They can cripple Volcarona with either Thunder Wave or Toxic, but they must watch out for Chesto Resto ChestoRest variants. Finally, the item Assault Vest allows Tyranitar to check Volcarona with it's insane special bulk, while Tyranitar can easily OHKO in return.</p>

The standard Togekiss (thunder wave, air slash and resists fire now) completely walls Volcarona...

Currently without access to Giga Drain makes Volcarona need hella support

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)