1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Completely Typical BW2 Rain Team. Tornadus-T Presiding.

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Danger Mouse, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse

TEAM OVERVIEW:
    With the advent of BW2, Tornadus got a new forme, and a new lease on life. With fantastic base speed, the regenerator ability, and a super powerful hurricane under rain, Tornadus is one of the most terrifying forces in the current metagame, and I wanted to base a team around him:
    [​IMG]
    The concept behind this team is supporting Tornadus-T: providing rain and entry hazards, and eliminating that which Tornadus can't handle.
    With that in mind:

[​IMG]
    Politoed@Leftovers

Ability: Drizzle
    Nature: Bold
    252 HP/252 DEF/4 SP. DEF
    Scald
    Protect
    Toxic
    Perish Song

Defensive Politoed. Brings the rain that Tornadus loves. With the given EV's, Politoed is very bulky and can stick around for quite awhile. Scald has a chance to burn, Toxic punishes opponents who switch in. Protect scouts for moves while gaining additional turns of recovery. Perish song limits the effectiveness of enemy set-up. This is my favorite Politoed set...I prefer my weather setter to live as long as possible, and the given moves have some decent utility. Toxic especially can help weaken certain foes.

[​IMG]
    Tornadus-T@Life Orb
    Ability: Regenerator
    Nature: Naive
    4 ATK/252 SP. ATK/252 SPD
    Hurricane
    Superpower
    U-Turn
    Rain Dance

I've been reading the C&C forum ;) Tornadus is ridiculously fast, but his special attack isn't stellar so Life Orb boosts power. Thanks to Regenrator, he can switch out to heal off life orb recoil and stealth rock damage, keeping him around for longer. Hurricane is the main move: 120 base power, great neutral coverage, and a 30% confusion chance. Add to that 100% accuracy in rain, and you have a fearsome weapon that can decimate an entire team before they know what hit them. Superpower is to destroy blissey, U-Turn to hop out and keep momentum. Rain Dance is to put rain back in play if Politoed goes down. Of course, as potent as Tornadus is, he can't do the entire job by himself. First of all, he needs help eliminating steel types that aren't scared of superpower...

[​IMG]
    Dugtrio@Choice Band

Ability: Arena Trap
    Nature: Jolly
    252 ATK/32 DEF/224 SPD
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Sucker Punch
    Shadow Claw

Dugtrio is fantastic at eliminating certain threats thanks to arena trap. He can trap steel types and destroy them with a STAB earthquake, or trap weakened foes and finish them off with Earthquake, or a Sucker Punch if they're going to attack. He also serves the purpose of eliminating Ninetales and Tyranitar. Both he and Tornadus, though, appreciate the presence of entry hazards in order to weaken their targets...

[​IMG]
    Deoxys-D@Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Pressure
    Nature: Timid
    252 HP/4 DEF/252 SPD
    Stealth Rock
    Spikes
    Taunt
    Night Shade

Deoxys-S was a fantastic hazard layer before it was banned...but Deoxys-D gives it some serious competition. It trades blazing speed for massive bulk, and it still happens to be fast for a support poke. The given EVs keep it as fast as possible, while still maintaining massive bulk. I was divided between leftovers and rocky helmet, and I decided to opt for rocky helmet to wear down physical attackers. Taunt prevents enemy set-up (and many foes try to set up on Deoxys) while Night Shade gives Deoxys a consistent source of damage if it needs to attack something. VERY reliable in its role. I'm surprised it's not used more. Ah, but what if the enemy gets their own hazards on the field? Well...

[​IMG]
    Starmie@Expert Belt
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Nature: Timid
    4 HP/252 SP. ATK/252 SPD
    Surf
    Thunder
    Ice Beam
    Rapid Spin

When it comes to rain-based spinning, my best options are Starmie or Tentacruel. I decided to stick with Starmie so I'd have an offensive spinner. I went for expert belt to give some extra potency with Starmie's fantastic coverage (but without the life orb recoil). I've used Hydro Pump on Starmie in the past, but it's lack of reliability just sucks. I could use Scald, but I'd rather just do as much reliable damage as possible, so Surf it is. Thunder instead of Tbolt because rain. Rapid spin is a given. Generally very reliable at what he needs to do. Starmie is a fantastic poke and a staple on many of my teams. Now, the team needs a sixth member, somebody to clean up the rest...

[​IMG]
    Breloom@Choice Band

Ability: Technician
    Nature: Adamant
    4 HP/252 ATK/252 SPD
    Mach Punch
    Low Sweep
    Bullet Seed
    Stone Edge

Breloom was once extremely annoying to face...now he is simply absolutely lethal thanks to Technician. Choice Band allows Breloom to hit at maximum power right from the start, mach punching his way through the opposition. Low sweep is a fantastic surprise against a switch in. Not only does it get boosted by technician (so it hits hard), but the victim has their speed dropped by one stage, setting them up for a 2HKO. Bullet Seed is massively powerful with the technician boost. Stone edge can hit stuff that Breloom's STABs can't handle, and I honestly couldn't think of anything else to put here.

CONCLUSION:
    I like this team. I feel there is some real potential here. There are, however, some major issues:

1.) SCARF THUNDURUS-T, OTHER SCARFERS THAT BRELOOM CAN'T BEAT:
    Thundurus-T is VERY problematic for me when he's packing a scarf. Other scarfers are also potential disasters for me if Breloom's mach punch can't bring them down. Dugtrio's sucker punch can help too, but only if they're severely weakened or locked into a move that doesn't hurt him.

2.) DO I REALLY NEED STARMIE?
    I love Starmie. I find it to be a fantastic and reliable spinner. I am wondering, however, if I even need a spinner at all. Sure, it helps keep dugtrio alive a bit longer and generally supports the team, but I feel like I'm using a team slot that could be dedicated to another attacker. On the other hand, I hate to give up on rapid spin.

3.) SHOULD I CHANGE AROUND DEOXYS' SET?
    I really like the deoxys set I'm running, but I'm always open to suggestions as to what might be more effective overall.

The first issues is the biggest one, and the one I need the most help with. I feel if I can address that issue, I'll have a very solid team. I find that this team is VERY hard to stop once it gets going, and it really uses Tornadus-T to its fullest potential as a sweeper. Any suggestions on how I could fix the team to better support Tornadus would be greatly appreciated. After all, he's the center of the team. Every other member (bar Politoed) is perfectly replaceable.
  2. i Darky

i Darky

This team is actually a bit similar to an idea I had with a rain team, using Politoed, Tornadus-T, & Dugtrio to beat its counters, tho I never did make it. Anyways, you don't really need a spinner, unless u have a gaping SR weaknesses, which you don't have. With a more offensively-inclined team, the opponent probably wouldn't get too many free turns, and Taunt on a speedy support like Deoxys-D helps stop Ferrothorn, Forretress, & Skarmory from setting up. As a replacement, you could try Jolteon as somewhat of a counter to Thundurus-T. He's immune to Electric-type and can threaten Thundurus with HP Ice while Thundurus has to rely on the inaccurate Focus Blast to do damage. With Rocks up, Thundurus will have its life shortened anyways.

I can see a Scizor being problematic. Politoed can try to burn, but a banded U-turn will hurt. If it weren't a Rain team I'd suggest @Fire Gem Deoxys-D with HP Fire. Tornadus-T can take a Bullet Punch provided SR isn't on the field and hit hard, but nothing can really OHKO it.
  3. Superpowerdude

Superpowerdude more dogebird
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Mentor

Hey there solid looking rain team there hard to think of any flaws to rate it on!

I can see you are running quite a bulky set on Politoed but if you want him to last even longer you could try a ChestoRest set. Changing leftovers to a Chesto Berry and Perish Song to rest can help your Politoed get increased longetivity, although you cant stop bp chains as easy baton passing is relativly rare nowadays so i think rest is a better option. Another suggestion on Politoed is Ice Beam>Protect as with no steel types and Starmie carrying the only Ice type move Dragonite and Salamence will encounter little trouble sweeping your team if Starmie is down.

Also with Chesto Rest you have more chances to get your rain up so I suggest Grass Knot>Rain Dance On Tornadus-T this will help you get a Suprise Ko on Gastrodon hoping to sponge a hit becasue of its Speciall bulk as well as Hitting Hippowdon and Tyranitsr exceptionally hard!

Other then that wonderful looking rain team good luck!

Sets
    Show Hide
    Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Politoed @ Chesto Berry | Drizzle
    Bold | 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 Sp Def
    Scald / Toxic/ Ice Beam / Rest

[​IMG]
    Tornadus-T @ Life Orb | Regenarator
    Naive | 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
    U-Turn / Hurricane / Superpower/ Grass Knot

~Superpowerdude
  4. Asek

Asek A heart of stone, a smoking gun
    is a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Hey,
    This is a solid looking rain team, but I have a small suggestion. When you said you want Breloom to sweep up stuff late game I don't see how you do this with a Choice Band attached. Very few pokemon can pull off a sweep with a Choice Item on and the only ones that do it often are Gyarados and Salamence. Therefore I suggest you adopt the tried and true SubPunch Breloom over your current set. It is actually a suprise set now and not many people expect it and at least 1 pokemon is going to go down due to Spore added to this is that he can absorb status all day long. It brings a far better late game cleaner to the table then Banded Techniloom. Anyway for Deoxy I don't think he fits your team that well. A far better suit for your team would be a Standard Ferrothorn > Deoxy. It actually does something beside's putting layers down and stops Kingdra and other Dragons dead in their tracks which otherwise look like a major threat to your team as you don't have a steel type to weather their assaults. Added to this is the perfect synergy him and Starmie have so they can provide easy switch ins for each others.
    GL with the team, sets below
    Show Hide
    Breloom @ Toxic Orb
    Nature: Adamant
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EV's: 36HP/ 252Atk/ 220Spe
    Substitute/ Spore/ Focus Punch/ Seed Bomb

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Nature: Impish (+Def -SpA)
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EV's: 252HP/ 98Def/ 158SpD
    Stealth Rock/ Spikes/ Leech Seed/ Power Whip
  5. MikeDecIsHere

MikeDecIsHere Congregation of the Classiest
    is a Battle Server Moderatoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

Hey,

With Dugtrio around, you really don't need to use Life Orb Tornadus. I would recommend going Specs with a Timid Nature and the move set Hurricane / U-Turn / Sleep Talk / (filler). It really gives Tornadus that extra little push it needs to KO some threats.

To solve your Thundurus Problem, the thing is that there really isn't a dedicated Thundurus counter haha. Something you could try doing is using Scarfed Ditto over Breloom. Ditto can come in off of almost any of Thundurus' move (if it's Choiced, Nasty Plot could be problematic, but you could just switch out and come back in later).

Hope I helped. Good luck~
  6. Electrolyte

Electrolyte I'll be your light, your match, your burning sun
    is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

Hi Danger Mouse! Nice team you got here!
    I've been testing out various Deoxys-D sets, and there is one set that I've found very effective- the offensive suicide lead set.
    [​IMG]
    Deoxys-D @ Electric Gem
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    48 HP, 252 Sp Atk, 208 Spe
    ~Stealth Rock
    ~Spikes
    ~Thunder
    ~Psycho Boost
    Here are some calculations to show just how powerful this guy is:
    Psycho Boost: 104-122% to Scarfed Terrakion
    Psycho Boost: 62-73% to Scarfed Thundurus-T
    Thunder: 51-60% to Scarfed Rotom-W
    Thunder: 114-135% to Standard Starmie
    The idea here is to send in Deoxys-D, pretend to set up and bait the opponent's spinner, and then OHKO the spinner as they spin. Not only is this Deoxys bulky, but also barely hits hard enough to eliminate many of the threats you find hard to get past. Once spinners are gone, it can finish setting up, and then just fire off Psycho Boosts until it is finished off by the opponent.

If you think Starmie is replaceable, then I would suggest Specs Latios:
    [​IMG]
    Latios @ Choice Specs
    Timid Nature
    4 HP, 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spe
    ~Draco Meteor
    ~Surf
    ~HP Fire
    ~Trick/Psyshock
    I bet you know how hard this thing hits; Draco Meteor just blasts through things like nothing, while Surf is a more reliable option, hitting almost as hard in rain and also tearing through your opponent. HP fire decimates steels, and Trick cripples walls while Psyshock hits the blobs.
    I hope I helped!
  7. Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse

Wow, all of these are great suggestions, thanks! I might put some of them on my team. If I do, I'll let all of you know. Thanks for your help so far, folks! :)
  8. Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse

I've been playtesting Meloetta on my team:
    [​IMG]
    Meloetta@Expert Belt
    Ability: Serene Grace
    Nature: Hasty (+Spe,-Def)
    56 ATK/252 SP. ATK/200 SPD.
    Relic Song
    Close Combat
    Thunder
    HP Ice

This is what I've been using in place of Breloom. The set itself was developed by shrang, and is interesting in rain. It exploits 100% accurate thunders with a 60% paralysis chance, potentially crippling a would-be counter. Relic song allows Meloetta to exploit its powerful STAB Close Combat while adding a 20% chance to cripple an opponent with sleep. The idea is to change forme at will to keep the opponent off-guard, using expert belt to power up supereffective hits. The EV spread boosts her speed without lowering her respectable special bulk, while boosting both her attack stats.
    This set works pretty well, but I want to playtest it more before I make it a permanent team member.
    Any other suggestions?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)