Conkeldurr (Analysis) [QC 3/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
A personal Favorite! Some comments in bold

Conkeldurr
[Overview]

Usually things sporting big red noses offer a large amounts of amusement, but oddly enough it will not be the case when certain opponents face Conkeldurr. In BW, Conkeldurr is a force to be reckon with a large 140 base attack stat which is the 3rd highest in OU. Not only does Conkeldurr have a great attack stat to dish hits out, but also has a great HP stat and decent defenses to take them in. Two other great assets Conkeldurr has are Guts and Mach Punch, allowing it to be a great team player by providing priority and status absorption. In the transition to BW2 Conkeldurr
gained the elemental punches, the most important being Ice Punch for being able to hit Gliscor extremely hard. However, BW2 has not been entirely too kind to Conkeldurr. The introduction of Tornadus-T and its large popularity can make it very difficult for Conkeldurr to sweep. The large popularity of rain tied to Tornadus-T is not kind to Conkeldurr either as he will struggle more against bulky waters that it could normally get past. If your team is looking for a bulky tank that requires little support that provides a little utility, look into Conkeldurr.

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Ice Punch / Payback
move 4: Mach Punch
item: Leftovers
ability: Guts
nature: Adamant / Brave
evs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe IV's

[SET COMMENTS]
p>With the ability to raise its already massive attack stat and enhance its defense in one move, it is easy to see why Bulk Up has become one of Conkeldurr's most popular sets. Even with only one Bulk Up, Conkeldurr's attack reaches terrifying heights that is high enough to sweep teams. However, Conkeldurr's power is respectable enough for it to fire off attacks even without a boost; a great tactic for getting off damage early game and to regain health with Drain Punch. Conkeldurr has great bulk to find setup opportunities throughout the match and with Leftovers it has the ability to preserve that ability throughout a match. A key aspect to Conkeldurr's success is its ability to take advantage of opposing status with Guts. Guts allows Conkeldurr to act as a teamplayer by becoming a designated status absorber. In addition Guts allows Conkeldurr to avoid the attack drop from Burn which allows it to confront certain defensive Pokemon that might otherwise stop its sweep, especially bulky waters. Drain Punch is a lovely STAB move that works great in conjunction with Bulk Up because of its decent power and more importantly its ability to heal Conkeldurr half the HP of the target it just attacked. Meanwhile, Conkeldurr has two great coverage moves to pair with Drain Punch which hit a different targets. First there is Ice Punch which can smack Gliscor, a premier Conkeldurr check, right out of the sky. The wider of variety of targets that Ice Punch can hit, especially Dragons that litter the OU tier, makes it first option. However, with Ice Punch Conkeldurr will have the inability to take on Tentacruel, Jellicent, and bulky Psychic-types. On the other hand, Conkeldurr can use Payback which can easily get past Jellicent and hit bulky Psychic-types hard. Note that many of the Pokemon that run moves that can inflict burn are hit harder by Payback like Tentacruel, Jellicent, and Mew. Thus, if Conkeldurr is aimed to having a status-absorbing role on a team, Payback might be the better option. Finnally, Conkeldurr has access to an ever useful priority move in STAB Mach Punch. Mach Punch mitigates Conkeldurr's lack of speed in some capacity and is useful to clean up weakened teams if Conkeldurr needs to avoid being hit.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>To allow Conkeldurr to be immediately threatening with only one Bulk Up (and even without one), 252 Atk EV's and an Adamant nature are used. To put in perspective on how powerful Conkeldur is with max attack: it is at the same level of power as a +1 neutral attack nature base 90 like Scrafty. If one is using Payback, a Brave nature should be used to underspeed as many Pokemon as possible in order for Payback to reach its full 100 base power. The other 252 EV's are placed into HP and Special Defense to strike a balance between physical and special bulk, with a slight bias to special defense since Conkeldurr can boost its Defense with Bulk Up. However, Conkeldurr's EV spread is not set in stone and is open to being optimized in a variety of ways. For starters, a spread of </p>

• 0 Speed IV's to ensure Payback hits the most amount of targets for higher damage
  • Conkeldurr's EV spread can be played around with. Large amount of special defense investment can be used, but cuts on power
  • A coverage move can be used over Mach Punch, but not reccomended
  • Team mates that can sponge special attacks are appreciated, especially Psychic-type attacks.
  • Gengar (removes Gliscor), Reuniclus, and Scizor (removes Reuniclus/Lati@s) are good offensive team mates.
  • When running Ice Punch team mates that can remove Tentacruel, Slowbro, Jellicent are appreciated. These include Roserade, Celebi, Jolteon, Thunderus-T, and

[SET]
name: Status Orb
move 1: Drain Punch
move 2: Payback
move 3: Facade / Ice Punch
move 4: Mach Punch
item: Flame Orb / Toxic Orb
ability: Guts
nature: Brave / Adamant
evs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

• Makes use of Guts to provide a boost in power. Power of Choice Band with the freedom to switch moves
  • Provides a large amount of immediate (right word to use for waiting 1 turn?) power to wallbreak
  • Longevity is a bit shorter than other Conkeldurr sets
  • Conkeldurr affords an extra slot for a coverage move
  • Flame Orb is preferred due to Conkeldurr being able to stay in for a longer period of time. Toxic Orb is better if you are in for less than 3 turns.
  • Drain Punch is a reliable STAB move that mitigates status damage

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • EV's allow reduces the amount of burn damage each turn for Flame Orb
  • Alternatively 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 SpD can be used for more physical bulk
  • Faster spread that can outspeed Skarmory and Jellicent can be used. 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spd
  • Payback is used to target Jellicent and other Ghost-types
  • Facade is slashed with both Ice Punch as it is Conkeldurr's strongest move. Useful for Reuniclus and other bulky psychics. Ice Punch to target Gliscor and Dragons more specifically
    [*]Mach Punch acts as a powerful priority. Gives an oppurtunity to activate Flame Orb
    [*]Hammer Arm can be used for a stronger STAB but it losses out on mitigating status recoil
    [*]Enjoys Pokemon that can extend its longevity: specifically wish passers. Jirachi, Vaporeon, and Blissey are all great choices
    [*]Depending on the coverage move team mates should target a certain threat. For example, no Ice Punch means something should be used for Gliscor like Gengar

[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • CB Set
  • RestTalk set that can activate Guts while asleep
  • SubPunch set
  • Thunder Punch for taking out Slowbro, Tentacruel, Jellicent, and Skarmory
  • Sheer Force+Life Orb. Slight power increase, but loss of burn immunity and secondary effects is too much
  • All-out-attacking set with Lefties. Longevity, but doesn't have the power of Status Orb or Choice Band

[Checks and Counters]

• Counter list is narrower due to the new elemental punches. Counters are dependent on what moves it carries
  • Conkeldurr lacking Ice Punch will struggle against Gliscor while those lacking Payback struggle against Jellicent
  • Reuniclus makes an excellent counter due to being slower and only receiving half the full power of Payback. In a similar fashion so is Slowbro
  • Anything faster that isn't weak to Mach Punch with a large special attack can overwhelm Conkeldurr, paticularly Psychic types. Latios, Tornadus-T, and Alakazahm are all excellent examples of this.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so I know I'm not in QC, but I've been playing at least with the first set, and I have some comments for it.

1) I honestly think that Ice Punch is superior to Payback. Yes, I understand that Payback does hit Pokemon such as Slowbro and all, but Slowbro also could just burn you with Scald on accident instead of using Thunder Wave possibly. Considering that Slowbro should really be 0 Spe IVs and a -Spe nature IMO and you have Slowbro sometimes carrying Psychic, I think Conk using Payback for that purpose is kind of bad.

I do get that Jellicent is probably the most significant reason for Payback, but I think I would even be more inclined to use Thunderpunch, as strange as that sounds, before Payback if you seriously want to beat Slowbro. Thunderpunch also hits Jellicent.

Furthermore, Ice Punch hits the big threats that just came into the spotlight - the Therian forms and Gliscor on the switch. These are really big obstacles for Conkeldurr. While Landorus-T isn't AS big of a hindrance thanks to Bulk Up, Tornadus-T and Thundurus-T can really wreck his day if he's weak enough.

It could be just me, personally.

Also, I would mention that Bulk Up set should step into the first layer of Toxic Spikes if possible. Nothing hurts more than being intoxicated while trying to sweep.

As for RestTalk - I don't think that Bulk Up is good on here, and I'm actually unsure myself if it's worthy of being in. Substitute is WAY better from what I've seen. I guess it works as an okay shock absorber against Breloom, but that's about it.

Just my (possibly worthless) two cents.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Move the 4 Speed EV's from the CB set and the Substitute set into defense. Conk isn't outspeedking anything other than itself with those added EV's.
You might also want to consider moving HP EV's from the RestTalk set into Sp Def, tossers like Blissey or Chansey certainly won't be staying in to try to 'wall' you. I also agree with ColonelM about taking out Bulk Up- Payback is generally safer as you wouldn't want things like Jellicent KO'ing you with Scald.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Drop Sub Punch, Status Orb and Rest Talk sets IMO. I tested Sub Punch a lot, and while getting that sub up and owning something with Focus Punch was cool, I was kinda powerless once my sub went down, and in general I just found it meh.

Status Orb just dies to fast. Conkeldurr has nice bulk, but its slow, and usually its just going to take a hit, strike back hard, and then die to SS + Flame Orb. Easy to play around and handle makes me dislike it.

Rest Talk loses out on the ability to revenge things, as well as a boosting move (no way in hell am I approving it with Bulk Up + Rest Talk), and it only really gets its niche when its resting, which means that initially you lack a fair bit of power. Theres is also the fact that most teams will try and take out Conk as quickly as they can (due to the standard set being very annoying after a few Bulk Ups), and as such throw a strong special attack out which you cannot really tank and then you die. More to the point, BW 2 brought in Landorus-T (which can Intimidate you and stuff with ease while BU sets have a chance to offset Intimidate), as well as power hitters like Keldeo and Tornados-T. Keldeo in particular has brought in increased reliance on Latios and Latias using Psyshock, which the Bulk Up set can kinda exploit but Rest Talk doesn't really. Also I just don't like it.

Other QC members can weigh in and agree / disagree if they see fit, but I don't think im alone here in my opinions.

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree with ginga on removing the rest talk set but i think the sub punch set should stay.

Also agreeing with CM that Ice punch should be the main option over payback on the first set. When you make Ice Punch first remember to change the speed IVs back to 31.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
SubPunch Conky logs. sleep and encore support help

Pocket joined.
RyanCrail joined.
Format: OU
Rated battle
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: OHKO Clause
Rule: Evasion Clause
Pocket's team:
Amoonguss / Conkeldurr / Latios / Politoed / Jirachi / Terrakion
RyanCrail's team:
Keldeo / Tornadus-Therian / Thundurus-Therian / Ferrothorn / Politoed / Rotom-Wash
The restart or kick was interrupted by activity.
Battle between Pocket and RyanCrail started!
Pocket sent out Conkeldurr!
RyanCrail sent out Thundurus-Therian!
Turn 1
Pocket called Conkeldurr back!
Pocket sent out Amoonguss!
The foe's Thundurus-Therian used Thunder!
It's not very effective... Amoonguss lost 27% of its health!
Amoonguss restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 2
RyanCrail called Thundurus-Therian back!
RyanCrail sent out Ferrothorn!
Amoonguss used Spore!
The foe's Ferrothorn fell asleep!
Turn 3
Pocket called Amoonguss back!
RyanCrail called Ferrothorn back!
RyanCrail sent out Politoed!
The foe's Politoed's Drizzle made it rain!
Turn 4
The foe's Politoed used Toxic!
Turn 5
The foe's Politoed used Ice Beam!
A critical hit! It's super effective! Amoonguss lost 51% of its health!
Amoonguss used Stun Spore!
The foe's Politoed was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Turn 6
Amoonguss used Giga Drain!
It's super effective! The foe's Politoed lost 43% of its health!
The foe's Politoed had its energy drained!
It's super effective! Amoonguss lost 25% of its health!
The foe's Politoed restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 7
Pocket sent out Jirachi!
The foe's Politoed is paralyzed! It can't move!
Turn 8
Pocket called Jirachi back!
The foe's Politoed used Scald!
It's not very effective... Amoonguss lost 13% of its health!
Amoonguss was burned!
Amoonguss was hurt by its burn!
Turn 9
It's super effective! The foe's Politoed lost 39% of its health!
It's super effective! Amoonguss lost 27% of its health!
Turn 10
It's super effective! The foe's Politoed lost 38% of its health!
It's super effective! Amoonguss lost 28% of its health!
Turn 11
Pocket sent out Jirachi!
RyanCrail called Politoed back!
Turn 12
The foe's Thundurus-Therian used Thunder!
It's not very effective... Amoonguss lost 23% of its health!
Turn 13
RyanCrail sent out Ferrothorn!
Pocket sent out Latios!
Turn 14
Pocket called Latios back!
The foe's Ferrothorn is fast asleep.
Turn 15
Conkeldurr used Substitute!
Conkeldurr put in a substitute!
Conkeldurr lost 25% of its health!
Conkeldurr restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 16
Conkeldurr is tightening its focus!
RyanCrail called Ferrothorn back!
RyanCrail sent out Tornadus-Therian!
Conkeldurr used Focus Punch!
It's not very effective... The foe's Tornadus-Therian lost 64% of its health!
Turn 17
The foe's Tornadus-Therian used U-turn!
It's not very effective... Conkeldurr's substitute took the damage!
RyanCrail called Tornadus-Therian back!
RyanCrail sent out Politoed!
The foe's Politoed lost 11% of its health!
The foe's Politoed fainted!
Turn 18
The foe's Thundurus-Therian used Volt Switch!
Conkeldurr's substitute faded!
RyanCrail sent out Tornadus-Therian!
Conkeldurr used Ice Punch!
It's super effective! The foe's Tornadus-Therian lost 70% of its health!
The foe's Tornadus-Therian fainted!
RyanCrail sent out Keldeo!

Turn 19
Pocket sent out Politoed!
The foe's Keldeo used Calm Mind!
The foe's Keldeo's Special Attack rose!
The foe's Keldeo's Special Defense rose!
Turn 20
Politoed used Encore!
The foe's Keldeo received an encore!
Turn 21
Pocket called Politoed back!
Pocket sent out Latios!
Turn 22
Latios used Psyshock!
It's super effective! The foe's Keldeo lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Keldeo fainted!
Turn 23
The foe's Thundurus-Therian used Dark Pulse!
Amoonguss lost 23% of its health!
Turn 24
Pocket sent out Terrakion!
The foe's Thundurus-Therian used Dark Pulse!
It's not very effective... Terrakion lost 18% of its health!
Terrakion's Justified raised its Attack!
Turn 25
RyanCrail forfeited.
Pocket won the battle!
Ladder updating...
RyanCrail left.
Pocket's rating: 1531 → 1572
(+19 for winning, +22 from bonus pool)
RyanCrail's rating: 1702 → 1701
(-1 for losing)

VermelhoRed joined.
Pocket joined.
Rated battle
Pocket's team:
VermelhoRed's team:
Tornadus-Therian / Politoed / Dragonite / Jirachi / Mamoswine / Tentacruel
Battle between VermelhoRed and Pocket started!
VermelhoRed sent out Politoed!
Pocket sent out Latios!
Turn 1
Latios used Thunder!
It's super effective! The foe's Politoed lost 100% of its health!
VermelhoRed sent out Mamoswine!
Turn 2
The foe's Mamoswine used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around your team!
Turn 3
VermelhoRed called Mamoswine back!
VermelhoRed sent out Tentacruel!
Politoed used Scald!
It's not very effective... The foe's Tentacruel lost 21% of its health!
The foe's Tentacruel's Rain Dish heals it!
The foe's Tentacruel restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 4
The foe's Tentacruel used Toxic Spikes!
Poison spikes were scattered all around the feet of your team!
Politoed used Encore!
The foe's Tentacruel received an encore!
Turn 5
The poison spikes disappeared from around your team's feet!
Pointed stones dug into Amoonguss!
Turn 6
Amoonguss used Spore!
The foe's Tentacruel fell asleep!
Turn 7
VermelhoRed called Tentacruel back!
VermelhoRed sent out Jirachi!
Pocket sent out Latios!
Pointed stones dug into Latios!
Turn 8
VermelhoRed called Jirachi back!
Latios used Surf!
It's not very effective... The foe's Tentacruel lost 31% of its health!
Turn 9
The poison spikes disappeared from around your team's feet!
Turn 10
Pointed stones dug into Politoed!
The foe's Jirachi used Calm Mind!
The foe's Jirachi's Special Attack rose!
The foe's Jirachi's Special Defense rose!
Politoed restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 11
The foe's Jirachi used Thunder!
It's super effective! Politoed lost 79% of its health!
Politoed used Encore!
The foe's Jirachi received an encore!
Turn 12
It's not very effective... Amoonguss lost 15% of its health!
Turn 13
It's not very effective... Amoonguss lost 13% of its health!
Amoonguss was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
The attack of Amoonguss missed!
Turn 14
But it failed!
Turn 15
Pointed stones dug into Conkeldurr!
The foe's Tentacruel is fast asleep.
Turn 16
VermelhoRed sent out Tornadus-Therian!
Turn 17
The foe's Tornadus-Therian used Hurricane!
It's super effective! Conkeldurr's substitute faded!
The foe's Tornadus-Therian lost some of its HP!
It's super effective! The foe's Tornadus-Therian lost 84% of its health!
Turn 18
VermelhoRed called Tornadus-Therian back!
VermelhoRed sent out Dragonite!
Conkeldurr used Mach Punch!
It's not very effective... The foe's Dragonite lost 7% of its health!
The foe's Dragonite restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 19
VermelhoRed called Dragonite back!
It's not very effective... The foe's Tentacruel lost 15% of its health!
Turn 20
It's not very effective... The foe's Tentacruel lost 42% of its health!

Turn 21
Pocket sent out Latios!
Turn 22
The foe's Tentacruel woke up!
The foe's Tentacruel used Protect!
The foe's Tentacruel protected itself!
Latios used Thunder!
Turn 23
Pointed stones dug into Terrakion!
VermelhoRed sent out Mamoswine!
Turn 24
Terrakion used Rock Slide!
The foe's Mamoswine lost 41% of its health!
The foe's Mamoswine used Earthquake!
It's super effective! Terrakion lost 94% of its health!
Terrakion fainted!
Turn 25
A critical hit! Amoonguss lost 88% of its health!
Amoonguss fainted!
Turn 26
VermelhoRed: sry
It's super effective! The foe's Mamoswine lost 56% of its health!
Conkeldurr lost 54% of its health!
Turn 27
The foe's Mamoswine used Ice Shard!
Conkeldurr lost 20% of its health!
A critical hit! It's super effective! The foe's Mamoswine lost 3% of its health!
The foe's Mamoswine fainted!

Turn 28
Pocket sent out Jirachi!
Pointed stones dug into Jirachi!
Jirachi restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 29
Jirachi used Thunder!
It's super effective! The foe's Tentacruel lost 46% of its health!
Turn 30
The foe's Tentacruel used Scald!
Jirachi lost 21% of its health!
Jirachi used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Turn 31
Jirachi lost 23% of its health!
Jirachi was burned!
Jirachi used Thunder!
It's super effective! The foe's Tentacruel lost 45% of its health!
Jirachi was hurt by its burn!
Turn 32
Jirachi used Wish!
Turn 33
The foe's Tentacruel used Rapid Spin!
It's not very effective... Jirachi lost 1% of its health!
The pointed stones disappeared from around the foe's team!
Jirachi used Thunder!
It's super effective! The foe's Tentacruel lost 43% of its health!
The foe's Tentacruel was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Jirachi's wish came true!
Turn 34
Turn 35
Jirachi used Wish!
Turn 36
Jirachi used Thunder!
It's super effective! The foe's Tentacruel lost 46% of its health!
The foe's Tentacruel used Rapid Spin!
It's not very effective... Jirachi lost 1% of its health!
The pointed stones disappeared from around the foe's team!
Turn 37
The foe's Tentacruel is paralyzed! It can't move!
Turn 38
Jirachi used Thunder!
It's super effective! The foe's Tentacruel lost 29% of its health!
The foe's Tentacruel fainted!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Jirachi!
Turn 39
Jirachi used Thunder!
The foe's Jirachi lost 17% of its health!
The foe's Jirachi was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
The foe's Jirachi restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 40
Politoed was badly poisoned!
Politoed was hurt by poison!
Turn 41
VermelhoRed sent out Dragonite!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Dragonite!
Politoed used Encore!
But it failed!
Turn 42
The foe's Dragonite used Dragon Dance!
The foe's Dragonite's Attack rose!
The foe's Dragonite's Speed rose!
Politoed used Ice Beam!
It's super effective! The foe's Dragonite lost 81% of its health!
The foe's Dragonite fainted!
Politoed fainted!
Nex joined.
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Tornadus-Therian!
Conkeldurr was badly poisoned!
Turn 43
Nex left.
Pocket sent out Jirachi!
It's not very effective... Jirachi lost 24% of its health!

Turn 44
The foe's Tornadus-Therian used U-turn!
Jirachi lost 16% of its health!
Jirachi used Thunder!
The foe's Jirachi lost 25% of its health!
Turn 45
Pocket sent out Latios!
The foe's Jirachi is paralyzed! It can't move!
Turn 46
Latios used Surf!
A critical hit! The foe's Jirachi lost 71% of its health!
The foe's Jirachi fainted!
VermelhoRed: dammit
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Tornadus-Therian!
Turn 47
Latios lost 63% of its health!
Latios fainted!
Pocket sent out Jirachi!
Turn 48
It's not very effective... Jirachi lost 4% of its health!
Jirachi fainted!
Turn 49
It's not very effective... The foe's Tornadus-Therian lost 18% of its health!
The foe's Tornadus-Therian fainted!

Pocket won the battle!
Ladder updating...
VermelhoRed's rating: 1665 → 1769
(-3 for losing, +107 from bonus pool)
Pocket's rating: 1542 → 1587
(+24 for winning, +21 from bonus pool)
VermelhoRed: gg
Pocket: gg
VermelhoRed left.

Pocket joined.
BustinDustin joined.
Rated battle
Pocket's team:
BustinDustin's team:
Heatran / Mamoswine / Scizor / Alakazam / Rotom-Wash / Salamence
Battle between Pocket and BustinDustin started!
Pocket sent out Latios!
BustinDustin sent out Rotom-Wash!
Turn 1
The foe's Rotom-Wash used Volt Switch!
It's not very effective... Amoonguss lost 17% of its health!
BustinDustin called Rotom-Wash back!
BustinDustin sent out Heatran!
Turn 2
The foe's Heatran used Lava Plume!
It's super effective! Amoonguss lost 50% of its health!
Amoonguss used Spore!
The foe's Heatran fell asleep!
Turn 3
BustinDustin called Heatran back!
BustinDustin sent out Scizor!
Politoed's Drizzle made it rain!
Turn 4
The foe's Scizor used Bullet Punch!
It's not very effective... Politoed lost 22% of its health!
The foe's Scizor lost some of its HP!
Politoed used Hydro Pump!
The attack of Politoed missed!
Turn 5
Politoed used Scald!
The foe's Scizor lost 54% of its health!
The foe's Scizor was burned!
The foe's Scizor used U-turn!
Politoed lost 27% of its health!
BustinDustin called Scizor back!
Turn 6
The foe's Rotom-Wash used Trick!
The foe's Rotom-Wash switched items with Amoonguss!
Amoonguss obtained one Choice Specs!
The foe's Rotom-Wash obtained one Leftovers!
Turn 7
The foe's Rotom-Wash used Volt Switch!
It's not very effective... Amoonguss lost 11% of its health!
BustinDustin called Rotom-Wash back!
BustinDustin sent out Heatran!
But it failed!
Turn 8
The foe's Heatran is fast asleep.
Turn 9
The foe's Heatran is fast asleep.
Turn 10
The foe's Heatran woke up!
The foe's Heatran used Lava Plume!
Conkeldurr's substitute took the damage!
It's super effective! The foe's Heatran lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Heatran fainted!
BustinDustin sent out Mamoswine!
Turn 11
It's super effective! The foe's Mamoswine hung on using its Focus Sash!
The foe's Mamoswine lost 100% of its health!
Turn 12
A critical hit! It's super effective! The foe's Mamoswine lost 0% of its health!
BustinDustin sent out Scizor!
Turn 13
A critical hit! Conkeldurr lost 35% of its health!
The foe's Scizor was hurt by its burn!
Turn 14
Conkeldurr's substitute took the damage!
The foe's Scizor fainted!
But there was no target...
Turn 15
The foe's Rotom-Wash used Hydro Pump!
Turn 16
The foe's Rotom-Wash used Hydro Pump!
A critical hit! Conkeldurr's substitute faded!
The foe's Rotom-Wash lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Rotom-Wash fainted!
BustinDustin sent out Salamence!

Turn 17
Pocket sent out Jirachi!
The foe's Salamence used Dragon Claw!
It's not very effective... Jirachi lost 21% of its health!
Turn 18
BustinDustin called Salamence back!
BustinDustin sent out Alakazam!
Jirachi used Thunder!
The foe's Alakazam lost 43% of its health!
The foe's Alakazam was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Turn 19
Jirachi used Iron Head!
The foe's Alakazam lost 57% of its health!
The foe's Alakazam fainted!
BustinDustin sent out Salamence!
Turn 20
The foe's Salamence used Earthquake!
It's super effective! Jirachi lost 64% of its health!
Jirachi used Thunder!
The foe's Salamence lost 39% of its health!
Turn 21
Pocket sent out Latios!
It doesn't affect Latios...
Turn 22
It doesn't affect Latios...
Latios used Draco Meteor!
It's super effective! The foe's Salamence lost 61% of its health!
Latios's Special Attack harshly fell!
The foe's Salamence fainted!
Pocket won the battle!
Ladder updating...
Pocket's rating: 1587 → 1602
(+8 for winning, +7 from bonus pool)
BustinDustin's rating: 1542 → 1541
(-1 for losing)
BustinDustin left.

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
agreeing that subpunch and status orb sets are both fully functional and competitive in OU. Both should stay on the analysis =]!

Ice Punch should definitely be the option over Payback, and the Therian formes and Gliscor are the main reason. Hitting them hard on the switch-in (especially Tornadus-T which won't be too afraid to come in because of Regenerator) is a big deal. Slowbro isn't really seen that much now, and Jellicent is nowhere near as important as the others.

RestTalk and SubPunch aren't that amazing imo. I've seen SubPunch only used effectively once during my Gen 5 career, and it only took out one Pokemon.. I think we should keep the Status Orb set though. It's a set that really messes with offensive teams.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
To me, status orb really wants either rain or sun to block sandstorm and hail. Even with the status effect and Drain Punch Conk isn't very effective when it's taking an extra 6% of damage per turn.

Still, the set should really stay. While I can attest to having success with Bulk Up alone, there are a lot of situations I wished I had just the status instead and just have am extra attack. I don't really have the option in this current team because of sandstorm... But it's also my choice to have it.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think we should keep the Status Orb set though. It's a set that really messes with offensive teams.
Uh, please explain? If you status yourself and are losing health every turn, wouldn't that make you easier for offensive teams to butcher?

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Status Orb Conky is pretty much CB Conky with the ability to switch moves in exchange for recoil damage. It also gains a powerful coverage move in Facade.

All of the Conkeldurr sets not named Bulk Up is pretty much butchered by offensive teams. Status Orb Conky really shines with Trick Room support.

I also prefer Toxic Orb > Flame Orb for lesser damage for the first 2 turns (equal total damage as flame orb on the 3rd turn)

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just chiming in agreeing with people who say drop status orb. It's like really, really bad. I tested it extensively at the start of BW2 and it was close to useless all the time. It can't switch in because of longevity issues, coupled with the fact that +1 Drain Punch and Mach Punch just aren't strong enough to justify losing health. If you drop Drain Punch for cc, your longevity drops even more (though it'd almost be worth it for the extra power). On paper, it seems alright, but in practice it's just terrible.

Pocket

If we do keep Status Orb, Toxic > Flame. 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 SpD to minimize toxic and burn damage. 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 SpD is another option if you want Conky slightly more physically defensive.

max HP spreads are not optimal - Conkeldurr is better off investing in its defenses, thanks to its bloated base HP. SubPunch Conky (if we keep it) only needs 405 HP, and the rest should go in SpD or Def.

CB set should run the same EVs as Bulk Up, which has the optimal defensive spread. However, 224 HP / 28 Def / 4 SpD can be used if you want Conky emphasize more in physical bulk than overall bulk (66% bias towards physical: http://users.smogon.com/X-Act/defense.html)

Status Orb Conky logs

jas61292 joined.
Pocket joined.
Pocket's team:
jas61292's team:
Jolteon / Politoed / Dragonite / Starmie / Scizor / Ferrothorn
MoMoneyNOPrblms joined.
EspyOwner joined.
Battle between jas61292 and Pocket started!
jas61292 sent out Jolteon!
Turn 1
The foe's Jolteon used Volt Switch!
Conkeldurr lost 52% of its health!
jas61292 called Jolteon back!
jas61292 sent out Starmie!
Conkeldurr used Superpower!
It's not very effective... The foe's Starmie lost 51% of its health!
Conkeldurr's Attack fell!
Conkeldurr's Defense fell!
Conkeldurr's Toxic Orb activated!

Turn 2
The foe's Starmie used Hydro Pump!
It's not very effective... Amoonguss lost 24% of its health!
The foe's Starmie lost some of its HP!
Turn 3
Pocket sent out Jirachi!
The foe's Starmie used Ice Beam!
It's not very effective... Jirachi lost 11% of its health!
Turn 4
The foe's Starmie used Hydro Pump!
The attack of the foe's Starmie missed!
Turn 5
The foe's Starmie used Ice Beam!
It's super effective! Amoonguss lost 50% of its health!
Amoonguss used Spore!
The foe's Starmie fell asleep!
Turn 6
The foe's Starmie is fast asleep.
A critical hit! It's super effective! The foe's Starmie lost 19% of its health!
The foe's Starmie had its energy drained!
The foe's Starmie fainted!
MoMoneyNOPrblms: mattered
jas61292 sent out Dragonite!
Turn 7
EspyOwner left.
shartruce joined.
Pocket: yea
jas61292: lol
The foe's Dragonite used Substitute!
The foe's Dragonite put in a substitute!
The foe's Dragonite lost 25% of its health!
Amoonguss used Spore!
But it failed!
Turn 8
Turn 9
The foe's Dragonite used Dragon Claw!
Politoed lost 64% of its health!
Politoed used Ice Beam!
It's super effective! The foe's Dragonite's substitute faded!
Turn 10
Politoed lost 42% of its health!
Politoed fainted!
Pocket sent out Jirachi!
Turn 11
The foe's Dragonite used Substitute!
The foe's Dragonite put in a substitute!
The foe's Dragonite lost 25% of its health!
Turn 12
Jirachi used Iron Head!
The foe's Dragonite's substitute faded!
Turn 13
It's not very effective... Jirachi lost 29% of its health!
Jirachi used Thunder!
The foe's Dragonite lost 23% of its health!
The foe's Dragonite was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Turn 14
jas61292 called Dragonite back!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Jolteon!
Jirachi used Wish!
Turn 15
The foe's Jolteon used Thunder!
It's not very effective... Amoonguss lost 27% of its health!
Amoonguss was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Turn 16
jas61292 sent out Ferrothorn!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Ferrothorn!
Amoonguss used Spore!
The foe's Ferrothorn restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 17
Conkeldurr was hurt by poison!
Turn 18
jas61292 called Ferrothorn back!
jas61292 sent out Dragonite!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Dragonite!
Conkeldurr used Superpower!
It's not very effective... The foe's Dragonite lost 46% of its health!
Conkeldurr's Attack fell!
Conkeldurr's Defense fell!
The foe's Dragonite fainted!
Scarf joined.
MoMoneyNOPrblms left.
jas61292 sent out Scizor!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Scizor!

Turn 19
Pocket sent out Jirachi!
Jirachi lost 48% of its health!
jas61292 called Scizor back!
Turn 20
The foe's Jolteon used Volt Switch!
Jirachi lost 32% of its health!
Jirachi used Wish!
Turn 21
It's not very effective... Conkeldurr lost 26% of its health!
Turn 22
The foe's Jolteon lost 63% of its health!
The foe's Jolteon fainted!
Turn 23
Conkeldurr lost 37% of its health!
Conkeldurr fainted!
Pocket sent out Latios!

Turn 24
jas61292 sent out Ferrothorn!
Latios used Surf!
It's not very effective... The foe's Ferrothorn lost 22% of its health!
Turn 25
Pocket sent out Jirachi!
Turn 26
Jirachi used Wish!
Turn 27
Jirachi used Thunder!
It's not very effective... The foe's Ferrothorn lost 9% of its health!
The foe's Ferrothorn woke up!
The foe's Ferrothorn used Leech Seed!
Jirachi was seeded!
Jirachi's health is sapped by Leech Seed!
Turn 28
The foe's Ferrothorn used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of your team!
Turn 29
Amoonguss used Spore!
Turn 30
Terrakion is hurt by the spikes!
Turn 31
Terrakion used Close Combat!
It's super effective! The foe's Ferrothorn lost 100% of its health!
Terrakion is hurt by the foe's Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs!
Terrakion's Defense fell!
Terrakion's Special Defense fell!
The foe's Ferrothorn fainted!
Turn 32
It's super effective! Terrakion lost 71% of its health!
Terrakion fainted!
Pocket sent out Jirachi!
Jirachi is hurt by the spikes!
Turn 33
It's not very effective... Jirachi lost 23% of its health!
Jirachi used Thunder!
The foe's Scizor lost 31% of its health!
The foe's Scizor was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Turn 34
jas61292 sent out Politoed!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Politoed!
Jirachi used Thunder!
It's super effective! The foe's Politoed lost 63% of its health!
The foe's Politoed was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Turn 35
Jirachi used Thunder!
It's super effective! The foe's Politoed lost 25% of its health!
Turn 36
It's not very effective... Jirachi lost 22% of its health!
Jirachi used Thunder!
The foe's Scizor lost 6% of its health!
The foe's Scizor fainted!
Pocket won the battle!
Pocket: gg
jas61292: gg
jas61292 left.
Scarf left.

Pocket joined.
Guest 5388 joined.
Rated battle
Pocket's team:
Guest 5388's team:
Thundurus-Therian / Politoed / Keldeo / Mamoswine / Jirachi / Starmie
Battle between Pocket and Guest 5388 started!
Guest 5388 sent out Mamoswine!
Turn 1
Guest 5388 called Mamoswine back!
Guest 5388 sent out Politoed!
Conkeldurr used Payback!
The foe's Politoed lost 16% of its health!

Turn 2
The foe's Politoed used Encore!
But it failed!
Turn 3
The foe's Politoed used Scald!
It's not very effective... Amoonguss lost 12% of its health!
Amoonguss was burned!
Amoonguss used Spore!
The foe's Politoed fell asleep!
Turn 4
Guest 5388 called Politoed back!
Guest 5388 sent out Jirachi!
Pocket sent out Latios!
Turn 5
Latios used Surf!
A critical hit! The foe's Jirachi lost 98% of its health!
The foe's Jirachi used Stealth Rock!
Turn 6
Pocket sent out Jirachi!
Guest 5388 called Jirachi back!
Guest 5388 sent out Keldeo!
Turn 7
Turn 8
Guest 5388 called Keldeo back!
The foe's Jirachi was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Turn 9
Pocket sent out Jirachi!
The foe's Jirachi used Wish!
Turn 10
Jirachi used Thunder!
The foe's Jirachi lost 19% of its health!
The foe's Jirachi used Body Slam!
It's not very effective... Jirachi lost 8% of its health!
Jirachi was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Turn 11
The foe's Jirachi used Wish!
Turn 12
Guest 5388 called Jirachi back!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Mamoswine!
Turn 13
Guest 5388 sent out Thundurus-Therian!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Thundurus-Therian!
Politoed used Scald!
The foe's Thundurus-Therian lost 69% of its health!
The foe's Thundurus-Therian was burned!
The foe's Thundurus-Therian was hurt by its burn!
The foe's Thundurus-Therian fainted!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Keldeo!
Turn 14
Politoed used Encore!
But it failed!
Turn 15
Guest 5388 sent out Starmie!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Starmie!
Politoed used Scald!
It's not very effective... The foe's Starmie lost 41% of its health!
The foe's Starmie was burned!
The foe's Starmie was hurt by its burn!
Turn 16
The foe's Starmie used Recover!
The foe's Starmie regained health!
Politoed used Scald!
It's not very effective... The foe's Starmie lost 40% of its health!
Turn 17
The foe's Starmie used Thunder!
It's super effective! Politoed lost 76% of its health!
Politoed used Encore!
The foe's Starmie received an encore!
Turn 18
Guest 5388 called Starmie back!
Turn 19
The foe's Mamoswine used Icicle Crash!
The attack of the foe's Mamoswine missed!
Turn 20
Politoed lost 24% of its health!
The foe's Mamoswine lost some of its HP!
Politoed fainted!
Turn 21
Guest 5388 sent out Starmie!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Starmie!
The foe's Starmie fainted!
Terrakion used Close Combat!
But there was no target...
Turn 22
Pocket called Terrakion back!
The foe's Keldeo used Surf!
It's not very effective... Amoonguss lost 33% of its health!
The foe's Keldeo lost some of its HP!
Turn 23
Turn 24
Conkeldurr used Drain Punch!
The foe's Jirachi lost 56% of its health!
The foe's Jirachi had its energy drained!
The foe's Jirachi used Iron Head!
Conkeldurr lost 26% of its health!
Turn 25
The foe's Jirachi lost 15% of its health!
The foe's Jirachi had its energy drained!

Turn 26
Pocket sent out Latios!
The foe's Keldeo used Surf!
It's not very effective... Latios lost 52% of its health!
The foe's Keldeo lost some of its HP!
Turn 27
Latios used Psyshock!
It's super effective! The foe's Keldeo lost 62% of its health!
Turn 28
It's super effective! Latios lost 35% of its health!
Latios fainted!
Turn 29
Guest 5388 sent out Politoed!
The foe's Politoed lost 28% of its health!
Turn 30
The foe's Politoed is fast asleep.
The foe's Politoed lost 50% of its health!
Turn 31
The foe's Politoed lost 22% of its health!
Turn 32
Register an account to protect your ladder rating!
Register
It's super effective! The foe's Mamoswine lost 20% of its health!

Pocket won the battle!
Ladder updating...
Guest 5388: gg
Guest 5388 left.
Guest 5388 joined.
Guest 5388 left.

Pocket joined.
Guest 5949 joined.
Pocket's team:
Guest 5949's team:
Politoed / Ferrothorn / Breloom / Keldeo / Jirachi / Latias
Guest 5036 joined.
Guest 5036 left.
Pocket: ginganinja?
Guest 5949: yep
Guest 5949: hmm I dislike this team of mine
Battle between Pocket and Guest 5949 started!
Pocket sent out Latios!
Guest 5949 sent out Politoed!
Turn 1
It's super effective! Amoonguss lost 37% of its health!
Turn 2
Guest 5965 joined.
It's super effective! Amoonguss lost 36% of its health!
Amoonguss used Spore!
The foe's Politoed fell asleep!
Turn 3
Guest 5949 called Politoed back!
Guest 5949 sent out Breloom!
Turn 4
The foe's Breloom lost 61% of its health!
The foe's Breloom used Bullet Seed!
Conkeldurr lost 24% of its health!
Conkeldurr lost 23% of its health!
Hit 3 time(s)!
The foe's Breloom lost some of its HP!

Turn 5
Pocket sent out Latios!
The foe's Breloom used Mach Punch!
It's not very effective... Latios lost 32% of its health!
Turn 6
The foe's Breloom used Mach Punch!
Conkeldurr lost 21% of its health!
Conkeldurr fainted!
Pocket sent out Latios!
Turn 7
Latios used Surf!
It's not very effective... The foe's Breloom lost 9% of its health!
The foe's Breloom fainted!
Guest 5949 sent out Ferrothorn!
Turn 8
Politoed was seeded!
Politoed's health is sapped by Leech Seed!
Turn 9
Politoed used Encore!
The foe's Ferrothorn received an encore!
Turn 10
Guest 5949 called Ferrothorn back!
Guest 5949 sent out Keldeo!
Politoed used Scald!
It's not very effective... The foe's Keldeo lost 31% of its health!
The foe's Keldeo was burned!
The foe's Keldeo was hurt by its burn!
Turn 11
Guest 5949: fuck
Guest 5949: rly didn;t want that burn
Pocket: lol scald is the best move
The foe's Keldeo used Hydro Pump!
The attack of the foe's Keldeo missed!
The foe's Keldeo was hurt by its burn!
Turn 12
Guest 5949: :(
Pocket: wow that would've fucked me up
Guest 5949: yea
Guest 5949 called Keldeo back!
Pocket sent out Jirachi!
Turn 13
Guest 5949: Note that I didn't rly see Conk make an impact
Pocket: me neither
Pocket: although the toxic blocking spore was nice
Pocket: :d
Guest 5949: true
Jirachi was seeded!
Jirachi's health is sapped by Leech Seed!
Turn 14
Turn 15
Politoed used Encore!
The foe's Ferrothorn received an encore!
Turn 16
Guest 5949 sent out Latias!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Latias!
Politoed used Scald!
It's not very effective... The foe's Latias lost 24% of its health!
The foe's Latias restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 17
Guest 5949 called Latias back!
Pocket sent out Jirachi!
Turn 18
Guest 5965 left.
Jirachi used Thunder!
It's not very effective... The foe's Ferrothorn lost 15% of its health!
The foe's Ferrothorn was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
The foe's Ferrothorn is paralyzed! It can't move!
Turn 19
Politoed is hurt by the spikes!
The foe's Ferrothorn used Stealth Rock!
Turn 20
Politoed used Ice Beam!
It's super effective! The foe's Latias lost 46% of its health!
Turn 21
Guest 5949: nop
The foe's Latias used Recover!
The foe's Latias regained health!
Politoed used Encore!
The foe's Latias received an encore!
Turn 22
Politoed used Scald!
It's not very effective... The foe's Ferrothorn lost 26% of its health!
Turn 23
Politoed used Hydro Pump!
It's not very effective... The foe's Ferrothorn lost 38% of its health!
Turn 24
Politoed used Scald!
It's not very effective... The foe's Ferrothorn lost 26% of its health!
The foe's Ferrothorn used Power Whip!
It's super effective! Politoed lost 95% of its health!
Turn 25
Guest 5949: cool
Politoed used Scald!
A critical hit! It's not very effective... The foe's Ferrothorn lost 20% of its health!
The foe's Ferrothorn fainted!
Turn 26
The foe's Latias used Dragon Pulse!
A critical hit! Politoed lost 18% of its health!
Politoed fainted!
Pocket sent out Jirachi!
Turn 27
Guest 5949 sent out Keldeo!
Jirachi used Thunder!
It's super effective! The foe's Keldeo lost 53% of its health!
Guest 5949 sent out Jirachi!
Turn 28
The foe's Jirachi used Substitute!
The foe's Jirachi put in a substitute!
Jirachi used Thunder!
The foe's Jirachi's substitute took the damage!
Turn 29
Guest 5949: cool
Terrakion is hurt by the spikes!
Turn 30
Terrakion used Earthquake!
It's super effective! The foe's Jirachi's substitute faded!
Terrakion lost 47% of its health!
Turn 31
Terrakion used Earthquake!
It's super effective! The foe's Jirachi lost 61% of its health!
The foe's Jirachi used Water Pulse!
It's super effective! Terrakion lost 22% of its health!
Terrakion fainted!
Guest 5949: DAM FUCKING CANCEL BUTTON
Pocket sent out Latios!
Turn 32
Pocket: :D
Pocket: yay
Guest 5949: I cancled and went to Water Pulse
Guest 5949: and then it did Thunder :(
Guest 5949 called Jirachi back!
Latios used Surf!
It's not very effective... The foe's Latias lost 31% of its health!
Turn 33
Amoonguss is hurt by the spikes!
The foe's Latias used Dragon Pulse!
Amoonguss lost 28% of its health!
Turn 34
The foe's Latias used Psyshock!
It's super effective! Amoonguss lost 41% of its health!
Amoonguss fainted!
Pocket sent out Jirachi!
Turn 35
Guest 5949 sent out Politoed!
Jirachi used Thunder!
It's super effective! The foe's Politoed lost 63% of its health!
Turn 36
The foe's Politoed is fast asleep.
Jirachi used Thunder!
It's super effective! The foe's Politoed lost 25% of its health!
Guest 5949 sent out Jirachi!
Turn 37
Guest 5949: just enough for one more sub
Jirachi used Thunder!
The foe's Jirachi's substitute took the damage!
Turn 38
Jirachi lost 18% of its health!
Jirachi was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Jirachi is paralyzed! It can't move!
Turn 39
Jirachi lost 14% of its health!
Jirachi is paralyzed! It can't move!
Turn 40
Guest 5949: yess
Jirachi lost 14% of its health!
Jirachi used Thunder!
The foe's Jirachi's substitute faded!
Turn 41
Jirachi used Thunder!
The foe's Jirachi's substitute faded!
Turn 42
Jirachi lost 13% of its health!
Jirachi became confused!
Jirachi is confused!
It hurt itself in its confusion!
Turn 43
Jirachi lost 17% of its health!
Jirachi fainted!
Pocket sent out Latios!
Turn 44
Guest 5949: gotta SURF
It's not very effective... The foe's Jirachi lost 19% of its health!
Guest 5949: do you have
Guest 5949: HP Fire
Turn 45
Pocket: no!
It's super effective! The foe's Latias lost 30% of its health!
The foe's Latias fainted!
Pocket won the battle!
Guest 5949: dam
Pocket: :D
Guest 5949: are you scarf
Pocket: no
Pocket: specs
Guest 5949: TYPICAL
Pocket: gg bro
Guest 5949: lucked
Guest 5949: gg
Guest 5949 left.

Pocket joined.
Arlandria joined.
Rated battle
Pocket's team:
Arlandria's team:
Celebi / Tentacruel / Reuniclus / Terrakion / Skarmory / Heatran
Eon-testing joined.
Battle between Pocket and Arlandria started!
Pocket sent out Latios!
Arlandria sent out Heatran!
Turn 1
The foe's Heatran used Protect!
The foe's Heatran protected itself!
Latios used Surf!
The foe's Heatran protected itself!
Turn 2
The foe's Heatran used Toxic!
Politoed was badly poisoned!
Turn 3
The foe's Heatran used Protect!
But it failed!
Turn 4
Arlandria called Heatran back!
Arlandria sent out Skarmory!
The foe's Skarmory lost 37% of its health!
The foe's Skarmory restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 5
Arlandria called Skarmory back!
Arlandria sent out Reuniclus!
It's not very effective... The foe's Reuniclus lost 32% of its health!
The foe's Reuniclus had its energy drained!
Turn 6
The restart or kick was interrupted by activity.
Conkeldurr used Facade!
The foe's Reuniclus lost 68% of its health!
The foe's Reuniclus fainted!
Arlandria sent out Tentacruel!

Turn 7
It's not very effective... Politoed lost 16% of its health!
Turn 8
But it failed!
Turn 9
Arlandria called Tentacruel back!
Arlandria sent out Celebi!
Amoonguss used Spore!
The foe's Celebi fell asleep!
Turn 10
The foe's Celebi is fast asleep.
Amoonguss used Sludge Bomb!
It's super effective! The foe's Celebi lost 48% of its health!
The foe's Celebi restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 11
Arlandria called Celebi back!
Arlandria sent out Heatran!
Amoonguss used Sludge Bomb!
It doesn't affect the foe's Heatran...
Turn 12
The foe's Heatran used Magma Storm!
It's super effective! Amoonguss lost 41% of its health!
Amoonguss used Spore!
The foe's Heatran fell asleep!
Amoonguss is hurt by Magma Storm!
Turn 13
Arlandria left.

Pocket

so yea just posting to say that a majority(?) of the QC members support the removal of Status Orb, SubPunch, and RestTalk set, as originally motioned by ginganinja. To reiterate what shrang said to me, the former two are inferior in performance compared to Bulk Up Conkeldurr. They both sacrifice Conkeldurr's health, which is not easy to recover. What makes Conkeldurr shine from the rest of the fighters is its bulkiness that allows it to set up multiple Bulk Ups and sweep late-game. The status orb and Sub Punch set doesn't gain much in exchange for the loss of bulk. RestTalk is RestTalk - Guts does not make it any better. They are all OO material.

ginganinja is testing CB set atm.

PS: I would not mind giving Sub Punch set a second chance once Iron Fist is released. The extra 20% boost would nab so many KOs :d

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gave CB a test. Having access to all Priority, a powerful STAB move, and 2 coverage options was really, really neat, however, it was very slow, and easily picked off. It would dish out some big hits, and it was really effective against defensive water types (think Toed / Tentacruel) which couldn't do shit against it for fear of activating Guts. With all that said however, it would usually give me a 1 for 1 trade off (in terms of kills) which I didn't really like when I could use Choice Band Terrakion for example, and force a 2 for 1 more easily. The Low speed really hurt it and as such, I am Rejecting the Choice Band set.

Sorry.

EDIT

Basically this means scrap every other set besides Bulk Up. In our testing, the current metagame is unkind to Conkeldurr, and that Bulk Up is really the only set that is good, and it also plays to Conkeldurrs strengths more than the other ones listed.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Let's wrap this big bad mamma jamma up, shall we?

Final decisions on sets:

Status Orb: Yes. 4 moves for coverage is a big deal now that it has Ice Punch, and being able to hit without setting up is great.

SubPunch: No. Needs to set up, and once the opponent knows it's SubPunch, it loses all ability to threaten things like Tyranitar and Ferrothorn, which aren't scared of Ice Punch or Payback at all, meaning it'll basically never set up a second time. Not good.

Pocket

Yea, sorry for the confusion; basically Bulk Up and Status Orb are approved for going up on site, but everything else (Rest Talk, Sub Punch, CB) have been dropped to OO. This is the final decision, Doughboy.

Yea, sorry for the confusion; basically Bulk Up and Status Orb are approved for going up on site, but everything else (Rest Talk, Sub Punch, CB) have been dropped to OO. This is the final decision, Doughboy.
Just when I was going to whip out my big ass post about status orb thanks Pocket for letting me know Pocket.

What I really hate about Ice Punch is that it leaves you at the mercy of Tentacruel in the Rain and Jellicent. From experience those who the two most prominent targets to pick up a burn from to utilize if needs. Also from experience is that if you get past a certain amount of boosts, I think two, you could beat Gliscor even with Payback.

I have been trying out max special defense RestTalk+Bulk Up and it isn't as terrible as Ginganinja makes it out to be. It has beaten TauntSD Gliscor 1 vs 1 for me even with the lack of Ice Punch. A strong Pursuit user, particularly Weaville, is all it needs to function. It plays just as efficiently as the standard set but it boosts in a lot of situations that the standard set can't. If the decision is final I guess I will let it slide :\

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ice Punch should be the primary option over Payback. Yes you lose out against Tentacruel and Jellicent (keep in mind the latter isn't as a common as it used to be) but it's so much more useful against the therians (Torn + Landorus-T and Thundurus-T at max health) and you're capable of SLAMMING Dragonite which is a big deal. Not to mention the fact that you can beat down Gliscor easier (Payback is kind of susceptible to sub stalling) and the occasionally Zapdos. All of these factors make Ice Punch more ideal than Payback imo. When Ice Punch is used, don't forget to mention teammates that can deal with Jellicent & Tentacruel.

It's just a more useful move in general.

I'd like to suggest moving Facade to the primary slash over Payback. While it makes a few Ghosts more difficult to deal with, it completely usurps Payback when it comes to Psychic-types. 252/252+ Slowbro is threatened with a 2HKOd on the switch with Rocks. Reuniclus fares worse; it's a guaranteed 2HKO. Anything faster, like Lati@s or Alakazam, is going to OHKO you with Psychic/Psyshock anyway.

But really, the only thing it doesn't answer that you would stay in on is Jellicent. Gengar can Sub-stall but he isn't taking a Guts-boosted Ice Punch (82%-96%), Facade hits Tentacruel harder than Payback would, and is almost as powerful as a 2X SE Ice Punch against Tornadus and Thundurus on the switch.

Facade über alles.

Pocket

DoughBoy, your Status Orb set comment / AC is a mess. Set Comment explains the main role of the set and how it's played differently from other sets. Explanation of main move choices presented on the set belongs to Set Comments. You explain the EV distribution as well.

Additional Comments provide alternative move choices not listed on the set. This is also where teammate choices and alternative EV spreads are presented.

You have OO material in the AC of Status Orb; please separate them.

~ Also change the EV spread to 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 SpD to minimize toxic and burn damage.

~ 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 SpD is another option if you want Conky slightly more physically defensive.

~ Facade > Ice Punch - it provides Conkeldurr with a powerful neutral coverage that does not rely on super-effective damage to hit hard. It also lets it 2HKO bulky Psychic-types without needing to absorb a hit from them. Gliscor still has a good chance of being 2HKOed with some residual damage. Otherwise Status Orb Conky would have to rely on weak Payback to deal with mons like Tentacruel.

~ Remove the Facade slash on Payback - Status Orb Conkeldurr is a wallbreaker; the last thing it wants is being walled by Ghosts. Payback is a staple.

~ AC mention Hammer Arm for a notably stronger STAB Fighting move.

Pocket

The only STAB that receives Sheer Force boost is Force Palm, which only has 60 BP. Not worth it when Guts and even Iron Fist provides larger and more consistent boosts to its Fighting STAB moves.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Not to mention losing the paralysis off Force Palm kind of sucks too when Conkeldurr could use it from time to time to make killing some things easier. Sheer Force is dumb - only mention it in OO to explain that it's near-infinitely inferior to Guts.

Also agreeing with Pocket - Payback should be the main slash on Guts Abuser. I think Facade can go over Ice Punch (it is fairly effective in some ways and it still deals a hefty amount to Gliscor (49.2% - 57.9%), but I think this might be because Pokemon like Reuniclus scare teams more often than Gliscor (while scary, there are a few more effective ways of dealing with it than Reuniclus).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)