1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Conkeldurr/Darmanitan leads?

Discussion in 'VGC' started by DeepSpeed, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeepSpeed

DeepSpeed

Hi guys, I've been browsing and using Smogon for quite a few years, but I didn't actually aquire the luxury of posting until recently. I'll be competing in the San Jose tournament on May 21st, and I was wondering: Would a Conkeldurr/Darmanitan leading duo be better than Hydreigon/Jellicent leading? I suspect Volcaronas will be quite common in the VGC, so a quick Rock Slide from Conkeldurr would OHKO them (It wouldn't really be quick, I'm not planning a Choice Scarf set). It would be my main powerhouse, but with such an EQ prone partner I don't know if I should keep the Darma/Conkel duo. Opinions please, I'm thinking about Terrakion and Excadrill, but with no Sand Veil pokes this gen I don't really want to worry about using sandstorm every couple of turns. I also predict Excadrills will be extremely common as well, so I wouldn't want to go Sandstorm versus Sandtorm every other battle.

FYI, my current theoretical team will be Conkeldurr/Darmanitan and Hydreigon/Jellicent. I'll worry about EVs/IVs/Natures/Items later, just trying to work on the Synergy.
  2. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

This should probably go in the SQSA thread.

Anyway, I'd be most concerned with the fact that that lead doesn't match up very well against non-goodstuff teams. Does poorly against two of the three most threatening TR mons, and Taunt would be too slow to stop any other kind of setup.
  3. JRank

JRank
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

lol

Excadrill is hardly ever used, and as the above poster said, your leads can't stop either Trick Room or Tailwind from going up.

You should you the Simple Questions Simple Answers thread next time, you said you've stalked here for several years and you still don't know the rules?
  4. andrea

andrea /me cresselias

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The majority of players at regionals are not smogon/skarmbliss frequenters. Right now most competitive people on this site are playing their own "fictitious" metagame that is nothing like what regionals will be like (which includes no use of Excadrill). People with no Smogon knowledge probably think that Excadrill is an awesome pokemon for VGC. It just might crop up quite a bit more often than you think.

Anyways, yeah. Keep these kind of posts in SQSA. =)
  5. Huy

Huy INSTANT BALLS
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

SQSA next time please.

Also stop being cocky JRank.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)