Conkeldurr

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If I may sugest a slight modification to the SubPuncher set:

Name: SubPuncher
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Focus Punch
move 3: Payback
move 4: Mach Punch
ability: Iron Fist (if available) / Guts
item: Leftovers
evs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 SpD
nature: Adamant / Brave

As nice as Encourage is, the Subpuncher set's best bet is to exploit all of Substitute's benefits. In this case Rohpushin derives the greatest possible advantages from being slower than its opponents. Rohpushin can actually be made slower than Dusknoir with Brave (or some Speed IV drops), so if it Subs as Dusknoir comes in it can get the full damage from Payback. Guts helps it against Burn from Will-o-Wisp, but Iron Fist boosts the power of its Focus Punch and Mach Punch considerably. Mach Punch itself is brilliant for the set, allowing it to maul opponents without their own priority without putting its Substitute at risk.

To be honest, I'm not sure if the SpD EVs help it survive any special attacks in particular, but in any case it probably benefits more from having the Special Defense there then having a Substitute with 2 more HP. Phsyical defense might even be a better investment, need calcs. Together only Heracross and Toxicroak resist Fighting/Dark, and neither of them takes a 135 BP Resistance adjusted Focus Punch off 140 Attack that well (Heracross takes 71.4-84.1% from Iron Fist Focus Punch, enough that Mach Punch can potentially finish it off 25-29.9%, and always after SR).

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If I may sugest a slight modification to the SubPuncher set:

Name: SubPuncher
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Focus Punch
move 3: Payback
move 4: Mach Punch
ability: Iron Fist (if available) / Guts
item: Leftovers
evs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 SpD
nature: Adamant / Brave

As nice as Encourage is, the Subpuncher set's best bet is to exploit all of Substitute's benefits. In this case Rohpushin derives the greatest possible advantages from being slower than its opponents. Rohpushin can actually be made slower than Dusknoir with Brave (or some Speed IV drops), so if it Subs as Dusknoir comes in it can get the full damage from Payback. Guts helps it against Burn from Will-o-Wisp, but Iron Fist boosts the power of its Focus Punch and Mach Punch considerably. Mach Punch itself is brilliant for the set, allowing it to maul opponents without their own priority without putting its Substitute at risk.

To be honest, I'm not sure if the SpD EVs help it survive any special attacks in particular, but in any case it probably benefits more from having the Special Defense there then having a Substitute with 2 more HP. Phsyical defense might even be a better investment, need calcs. Together only Heracross and Toxicroak resist Fighting/Dark, and neither of them takes a 135 BP Resistance adjusted Focus Punch off 140 Attack that well (Heracross takes 71.4-84.1% from Iron Fist Focus Punch, enough that Mach Punch can potentially finish it off 25-29.9%, and always after SR).
Yeah, this is definitely better. The only problem with Guts, I think, is that would involve Rohpushin taking a status effect in the process. This means he loses at least 6% health per turn from a Burn. Paralysis isn't that great either...

...I agree with you though that Mach Punch is much better in here. Focus Punch + Mach Punch pretty much cover what it wants: something to punish the switch-in after a Focus Punch has been used. I'll take that set over what I have currently, though I'd just say fuck it to Guts even and only use the SubPuncher if Iron Fist is available. But, I guess that's just me.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In theory (say Mach Punch and Iron Fist are illegal together for some reason), you could switch Rohpushin in on any of the various Bulky Waters spamming Boiling Water and get a Guts boost through Burn. You'd still be losing 6% HP per turn between Burn + Leftovers, but it's not as if Burn is a rare status to run into or mostly a side effect from Pokemon like Heatran that have absurd SpA anymore.

As far as the standard set EVs, if using Leftovers I'd go with 132 HP/ 252 Atk / 124 SpD. You pick up an additional Leftovers recovery point with 384 HP instead of 381. If you're using Life Orb, go with 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 SpD (HP value is 379). These are all little marginal things though.

Disappointed that he didn't get Overhead Throw which would have given him a useful phazing move to take advantage of his good bulk. Anyway, I really don't think he's outclassed by Machamp because it can threaten a sweep with Bulk Up - it's more effective because it gets priority in Mach Punch and reliable insurance against status without having to use Lum Berry like Machamp. Apart from that I personally might run 64 Spe EVs so I can outspeed Nattorei and the Grass/Poison thing after one Hammer Arm so I can do something before it sets up hazards/Spores me.. though not sure if it's really worth it.

Rohpushin's Focus Punches are absurdly powerful with Iron Fist, and its overall superior physical bulk make it a choice over Machamp. Both have their perks, and both are full stops against any Tyranitar. Rohpushin by no means needs Trick Room support, as it can and will gladly absorb a hit or two, but it can easily benefit from it, and functions decently as a status absorber, but the lack of sleep talk seriously made me sad as Ropushin would have been probably one of the best Rest-Talkers with Guts. A very good Pokemon, and a welcomed addition to the Fighting typing. I'm looking foreward to seeing it in action.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In theory (say Mach Punch and Iron Fist are illegal together for some reason), you could switch Rohpushin in on any of the various Bulky Waters spamming Boiling Water and get a Guts boost through Burn. You'd still be losing 6% HP per turn between Burn + Leftovers, but it's not as if Burn is a rare status to run into or mostly a side effect from Pokemon like Heatran that have absurd SpA anymore.

As far as the standard set EVs, if using Leftovers I'd go with 132 HP/ 252 Atk / 124 SpD. You pick up an additional Leftovers recovery point with 384 HP instead of 381. If you're using Life Orb, go with 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 SpD (HP value is 379). These are all little marginal things though.
I can try running calcs one day for ideal EV setup, but I dunno about the whole "Leftover number" ordeal since it is partially irrelevant with Sandstorm existing. It works better without the Sandstorm, of course.

Also, Iron Fist + Mach Punch is legal. A Female Rohpushin just needs the Iron Fist ability and the Male Rohpushin needs Mach Punch.

Rohpushin @ Expert Belt
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Hammer Arm
- Stone Edge
- Payback
- Mach Punch

Since equipping a Band to Rohpushin is practically suicide with Shanderaa around, I'm going a slightly different route here. Iron Fist is an excellent way to force out Doryuuzu as it OHKOs, while it also gives Hammer Arm some extra oomph.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Very cool Pokemon. I've been seeing him in a few YouTube matches here and there and with Doryuuzu around, I'm probably going to want him on most of my teams.

I really do think he's best served with a Bulk Up set, though, so he can set up on walls that can't phaze, like Nattorei, and with a Careful nature, combined with his incredible Attack power, he's probably going to take out at least one thing before he dies (unless the opponent has a Hippowdon or something). Rhyperior without the plethora of weaknesses? Yes, please.

Is Mach Punch Drain Punch a legal move combination as you can get it via Hitmonchan?
If you can get two egg moves from one pokemon, the combination is not illegal. However, if the pokemon gets the 2 egg moves from 2 different pokemon, as neither can learn both, then it is illegal.

this is because egg moves are only transferred through the father, and of the pokemon were different, then you would have to breed them on one at a time. However, this does not work, as having a female know one and the male know the other will create a baby only knowing the fathers egg move. And you cannot have a gay pokemon couple make a baby

I know how egg moves work but I heard you can't transfer pokemon with TM moves. Roopushin can get both as Egg Moves and Hitmonchan can learn both 1 via level up 1 via 4th gen TM but I heard you can't transfer pokemon over to B&W with TM moves.

I know how egg moves work but I heard you can't transfer pokemon with TM moves. Roopushin can get both as Egg Moves and Hitmonchan can learn both 1 via level up 1 via 4th gen TM but I heard you can't transfer pokemon over to B&W with TM moves.
No, you can. Thats the only way Sazandora gets his Dark Pulse and Earth Power egg moves. If Drain Punch is listed as an egg move, it must be taught from a pokemon who learned it by TM
Besides, it would be too complicated a program and would have too many bugs to do that

I didn't read every post, so I don't know if anyone's already brought this up, but what about running Fling on a Guts set with Flame Orb. You get the attack boost, and you can cripple any physical sweeper your opponent might send in, assuming you survive their attack. I think I'm gonna try it, anyway

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
This set seems quite deadly:

Rohpushin @ Chesto Berry
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 252 HP/16 Atk/240 SpD
-Bulk Up
-Hammer Arm
-Payback/Stone Edge
-Rest

Bulk-Up Chesto Rest also worked with Machamp to an extent in Gen IV, but DynamicPunch's horrible PP hurt more than it helped.

Ugh this things a real pain to deal with in battle D: It bulks up, if I give it a status its attack goes up insanely and it gets a priority move...anyone got any counters for this yet...?

Guts is probably going to be preferred over Encourage, because the only notable moves boosted by Encourage are Rock Slide (100 STAB BP, 90 Accuracy) and Poison Jab (106 BP, 100 Accuracy). Sure, Rock Slide is great, but it all comes down to whether you can switch into a predicted Status attack.

That said, this is my set:

Roopushin @ Choice Band / Expert Belt
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge
- Payback
- Poison Jab / Facade / Earthquake

Standard Revenge Killer. Mach Punch basically nullifies his low speed and deals with threats very well. Both Choice Band and Expert Belt are great for extra power; it all comes down to preference. The final move is really just a filler. Poison Jab against Breloom, Earthquake against Metagross/Bronzong. I don't go for Hammer Arm because it just feels like super redundant coverage, since not much other than Skarmory is going to survive a Banded STAB Mach Punch from that ridiculous base attack >.>

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Ugh this things a real pain to deal with in battle D: It bulks up, if I give it a status its attack goes up insanely and it gets a priority move...anyone got any counters for this yet...?
Hmmmm...if it lacks Stone Edge, Spiritomb and RestTalk Gyara counter it hard, and if it lacks Payback, Ghosts like Burunkeru and Desukan can wittle it down. If it lacks Hammer Arm, Skarmory and Bulky Waters wall, and if it lacks Mach Punch, strong special attackers like Specs Tran/Jolteon kill it. It's not an easy Pokemon to counter, but once its entire set is figured out, it is manageable. It's just a matter of wearing it down enough.

Hmmmm...if it lacks Stone Edge, Spiritomb and RestTalk Gyara counter it hard, and if it lacks Payback, Ghosts like Burunkeru and Desukan can wittle it down. If it lacks Hammer Arm, Skarmory and Bulky Waters wall, and if it lacks Mach Punch, strong special attackers like Specs Tran/Jolteon kill it. It's not an easy Pokemon to counter, but once its entire set is figured out, it is manageable. It's just a matter of wearing it down enough.
How would Togekiss or Skymin work as a decent counter? I'd imagine they can both take a hit from the clown-beast fairly well and hit back with an Air Slash or something he's weak to to prey off of his lower SpDef. Togekiss hax, while somewhat unreliable, can be frustrating for Clowncrete. Probably not nearly as effective as I think it might be, so correct me if I'm delusional.

This is just kinda me guessing, but what do you guys think of this set?

Roopushin @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Nature: Adamant / Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Payback
- Stone Edge

Basically use Iron Fist to get a 72 (I think) BP STAB Mach Punch coming from its monster attack and a 90 BP Drain Punch for mass amounts of healing and staying power. Payback and Stone Edge for coverage. Maybe use some support moves like Sub or Bulk Up for Life Orb...

Encourage and Guts are getting the most love, come on! Iron Fist needs love too!

If Drain Punch and Mach Punch are illegal together which I now realize they probably are...that fucking sucks. :(

Iron Fist Roopushin doesn't exist yet :P

Mach Punch actually becomes 48 BP with Iron Fist anyways.
At least I'm not Shadow Tag Shandera-level speculating...

Oops forgot MP was 40 BP not 60...well...48 BP is better than nothing. :P And 90 BP Drain Punch from its attack is pretty amazing. Drain Punch got buffed up to 75 BP, that much I'm sure of.

But I asked a friend and he said two Egg Moves on one set is illegal so...:( Drain Punch is still an option though, but one of its biggest selling points is Mach Punch. Seriously in every thread you see people saying 'priority kills it'. :P

I love TR teams. Looks like this guy's going straight in, with probably a Hammer Arm/Mach Punch/Taunt/Rock Slide set here with Encourage. This is gonna be fun to use ;-)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)