Conkeldurr

i've recently been working with a quad of pokemon that work very very well together. the first member is bulk up- roobushin, with guts, drain punch, payback, and rockslide. then to take the psychic hits is zuzurukin, with dragon dance, taunt, drain punch and high jump kick. to take the flying weakness off both of these is magnezone, who can also trap and kill steels that give them trouble. to take fighting moves of zuzurukin and ground for magnezone is gengar with a choice scarf. any thoughts? heres the sets

Roobushin-guts - leftovers
adamant
252 sp. def/136 att/ 120 hp (sp. def is because bulk ups allow him to be unstoppable)
bulk up
drain punch
rock slide (opted over mach punch so he can take on gyarados)
pay back

Zuruzukin-overconfidence - leftovers
jolly
252 att/ 252 speed/ 4 hp
Dragon dance
drain punch (better longetivity than hi jump kick)
crunch
taunt (shuts down nattori/skarmory)

Magnezone - Magnet pull - leftovers
timid
252 sp. attack/ 252 speed/ 4 hp
thunderbolt
thunderwave (might opt for magnet rise)
substitute (for scizor/nattorie)
hidden power fire

Gengar- Levitate- choice scarf
Timid
2252 sp attack/ 252 speed/ 4 hp
shadow ball
thunderbolt
hidden power ice
psychic (for roobushin)
Personally, I would have Sazandora over Zuruzkin.

Yeah and how much damage do you get while setting up? He gets to put up SR, Roar you away and then Slack Off later. Or he can just keep EQing you since you don't have any healing. Hippowdon is not scared of Roobushin at all. Go ahead and use a subpar Fighting-type attack on me instead of something like Hammer Arm, the rest of my team would love that.

Everyone here is acting like Drain Punch is this magic attack that makes it invincible, when in reality it has low base power and will almost always hit last due to this guy's terrible Speed. It is not a reliable attack.
>Implying Drain Punch is much more weak than DynamicPunch and doesn't provide healing.

Drain Punch, after the Iron Fist boost, is a 90 base damage attack. It heals you 50% of the damage it does, which is ALWAYS more than Hippowdon can do to Roobushin with Earthquake. 252 HP / 0 Def Roobushin with one Bulk Up (+1 Defense) takes 20.3% - 23.9% from 0 Atk neutral Hippowdon. Meanwhile, Drain Punch does 42.4% - 50% to 252/152+ Hippowdon (I messed up my previous calc); 178-210 damage. That is healing Roobushin 89 - 105 HP back, 21.5% - 25.4% (aka- always more than the damage Hippowdon can do with Earthquake). That's excluding the fact that Hippowdon must alternate between Earthquake and Slack Off, plus Roobushin can use Bulk Up more than once. Hippowdon is a miserable matchup, and literally will never beat Roobushin (it can check it, but a lot of things can take down a Hippowdon at ~60% health). Hammer Arm is a great move in its own right, and I'm not arguing that (it does 50.7% - 60% to the same Hippowdon with one boost), but Drain Punch has excellent tanking utility. In practice, the move has helped me a lot.

Heatran, sure. Infernape might be hurt badly by priority but it probably won't be OHKOd (never actually tested this so idk). Other than that, Shanderaa? Hihi? Victini? Ulgamoth? Charizard? Most Fire-types aren't scared of this guy, so that one added weakness of Heracross' isn't going to make any difference.

You can have your Bulk Up, I would much rather use Swords Dance or a Choice Band Close Combat from something else.
We really don't know tiers yet, so I was basing my "Fire-types" off Gen IV. Ulgamoth is common, but they can all be KOed by the combination of Payback and Stealth Rock (followed by Mach Punch for some of them).

Roobushin plays entirely different than something like Lucario or Choice Banded Fighters (who the fuck uses the latter anyway?), it's more like Swampert than the rest (comparing it to the others because of a shared typing is about as logical as comparing Milotic to Floatzel.

tbh this guy wants iron fist + adamant (16 evs) + mach punch to ohko doryuuzu some other vital kills. its one of the reasons i was using this guy at all. guts is really nice but burunkeru won't want to status you anyway cause guts bulk up adamant stone edge will ohko it.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
...Hippowdon...
I'm honestly not sure why Hippowdon was ever brought up in this conversation, as it has never really countered Fighting-types. Either way, you are going to be Roared out before the situation you outlined occurs.

I'd rather see calculations against something that will actually switch into Roobushin, like Gliscor, Salamence or any other Flying/Bug type that resists Mach Punch.
In practice, the move has helped me a lot.
Roobushin is probably the best user of Drain Punch, but I still don't see it as an effective strategy in the long term. There are better tanks in my opinion, and using Bulk Up with Fighting moves is just asking Shanderaa to come in and OHKO you with Overheat. I won't be surprised if this pokemon is OU, but it is being hyped up far too much in this thread.
Roobushin plays entirely different than something like Lucario or Choice Banded Fighters (who the fuck uses the latter anyway?), it's more like Swampert than the rest (comparing it to the others because of a shared typing is about as logical as comparing Milotic to Floatzel.
Hey, I use CB Fighting-types. They're strong and have multiple moves of over 100 base power.

But you're right overall, Roobushin is more like Swampert than Gyarados.

Well what works for me is I set up screens before I switch my Roopushin in. They're almost forced to status me at that point, which is what I hope they do.

I'm not saying Roopushin is almighty or anything. But for me and my team, he's a focal point and he's a very strong OU competitor. All his abilities can be useful and your opponent has to question which one you're packing.

An important difference between Machamp and Roobushin is survivability. Machamp is still much harder to OHKO than Roobushin is.

For instance, Machamp is guaranteed to withstand things like Max SpAtk +0 Dialga's Draco Meter without any SpDef investment. Virtually no neutral unboosted attack short of Self-Destruct can do in a 'Champ, even from new threats. The Shandera matchup is another prime example:

Max SpAtk Shandera's +0 Overheat does:
82-95% to 252/0 Machamp (316-367 of 384 HP)
93-110% to 252/0 Roobushin (387-456 of 414 HP)

To Roobushin's credit, it has a small chance to OHKO Max HP Shandera with Stone Edge while Machamp does not, though honestly, a critical hit is more likely to occur considering that this is Stone Edge. Both OHKO any Shandera after SR, Machamp just does so more reliably.

Mach Punch and higher Attack are really Roobushin's only perks, and admittedly they are great ones. Machamp is arguably the better Bulk Up user, due to it's overall superior sturdiness, not to mention all the Bulk Up opportunities that DynamicPunch presents. Machamp has better stat distribution, and a Stone Edge that never misses. Hard to top that.

Yeah, but he doesn't get Drain Punch though, so I can't attack and heal in the same turn. That's a big trade off for the particular set I run.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mach Punch, Drain Punch, and higher HP push the game in Roopushin's favor like you wouldn't believe. Not only does he take physical attacks better, but with a Bulk Up or two, it's actually feasible for Pushin to tank his way through an entire team. There's a reason he's top OU (#5 on DW) and Machamp isn't.

^Let's not kid ourselves; Roobushin's popularity is a direct result of Doryuuzu's, not it's superiority to Machamp.

Any team that is swept by a Mach Puncher, frankly, sucks.

SJCrew

Sounds like you haven't really used Roopushin. +2 Doryuuzu will still have his way with you, as Mach Punch won't OHKO unless it crits and +2 EQ definitely will.

I've tanked through many, many teams just bulking up on walls and sapping health from sweepers, finishing things off with priority when necessary. Quite frankly, you won't be able to stop it at all unless you have a really strong STAB Psychic on your side or it eventually dies from residual damage via Toxic or burn. A lot of players know this and that's why it's on every other team.

To be honest, I'm puzzled as to why there aren't more people packing a Meloetta, Gochiruzeru, or Skymin in response. I guess they just enjoy losing?

I'd guess that most people don't even know Meloetta exists, dismiss Gochiruzeru as "destined for UU," and I thought a lot of people were using Skymin. I guess Togekiss could make for a good counter as well.

Then again, I haven't played any Gen V online yet, so I'm only going off of forum talk.

Now that I think of it, how does Rankurusu do against Clown? Seems like the Cell can come in on a resisted Mach/Drain Punch and take the hit fairly well with his bulk. Because Rankurusu is actually even slower than Roh, Roh's Payback won't do as much damage, so he'll either switch out or Bulk Up and hope he doesn't get a Psychic/Psycho Shock to the face. Meanwhile, Rank can Recover off the damage he took from switching in. Once again, this is me going off of speculation without any number crunching.

Sounds like you haven't really used Roopushin. +2 Doryuuzu will still have his way with you, as Mach Punch won't OHKO unless it crits and +2 EQ definitely will.

I've tanked through many, many teams just bulking up on walls and sapping health from sweepers, finishing things off with priority when necessary. Quite frankly, you won't be able to stop it at all unless you have a really strong STAB Psychic on your side or it eventually dies from residual damage via Toxic or burn. A lot of players know this and that's why it's on every other team.

To be honest, I'm puzzled as to why there aren't more people packing a Meloetta, Gochiruzeru, or Skymin in response. I guess they just enjoy losing?
Actually, I do use Roobushin on Random Wifi and in the Battle Subway.
I never said that it OHKOed the mole (it does with a Guts boost). It reliably finishes off weakened moles from about 60%. It is the primary reason that Roobushin is used. Believing otherwise is fooling yourself.

You must be facing some terrible teams. Maybe they've never heard of Gengar. Or Shandera. Or Latios. Or friggin Espeon for that matter. Any strong Special Attacker that doesn't die to Mach Punch will finish off a weakened Roobushin, and several of them can OHKO from full HP.

All I'm going to say on this matter is that there's a really good reason why Drain Punch does not appear in Smogon analyses. It is not a reliable move, and it does not heal nearly enough to make up for its poor base power. You are almost always going to take a hit before you use Drain Punch, so the HP gained is going to be negligible in the long run anyways. It's not like you're ever going to get back to 100% with this move.
Well first i'd like to say that this post helped me understand your side of the story a bit better so kudos on that.Yes I understand that Drain punch is actually a quite awful move really.What i am trying to say is that Drain punch prevents Robushin from being completely useless because of lacking a good Stab attack.It will never be as good as Dynamic Punch but it's also not that bad either.There wasn't too many good abusers of this move in DPP and Robushin does it pretty well so just try it out once you might like it =P.
I have used Drain Punch pokemon a lot because I used to test sets that were submitted for analyses. Every time they were posted, they were thoroughly rejected by playtesting. If anything, after my personal testing, Drain Punch has actually gotten worse this gen.
Lol interesting job i might start doing it >_<.I dont see any reason for it to have gotten worse however.Its pretty much the same as before unless theres some mechanic im not aware of yet (Doubt it ive been no lifing Uncharted for a while now T.T).

How is this silly at all, with its bad special defense and poor defensive typing? 25% is not a lot of damage on anything.
Its somewhat irrelevant.And this thing is really bulky actually and Fighting is actually a pretty good Typing as Flying/Phychick is rarely seen other then Shaymin-S which will probably be banned anyways...

No Guard is an awesome ability, why are you calling it a waste? 100% confusion, 100 base power STAB move is awesome, not to mention a 100% accurate Stone Edge.
I ment that it is somewhat useless except for abusing Dynamic Punch other then helping your opponent out with 100% accuracy Burns and stuff.Dont get me wrong if Robu got it I'd deffinetly use it or for anything else as well for that matter.

Shaymin-S also annihilates Roobushin before it attacks. What's your point?
*Dumb moment* .___. ...Okay this comment was really ill thought out il admit that.

Speaking of useless speed tiers, its a Roobushin thread!
No but Robushin isn't actually trying to abuse its speed.If it was something like Tyranitar and wanted to DD then it was another story but he isn't probably aiming to go first anyway so it dsn't matter for him while on Heracross it looses bulk for Speed that isn't actually worth it.

But they can't switch in.
Payback rapes Phychicks as well so they cant on Robu either =P.

You completely missed my point. Water-types have a viable option if they don't learn Water Spout, it's called Surf. Drain Punch is not an acceptable substitute for the raw power of Close Combat. After my own personal testing I can't help but feel like the weak Drain Punch is a waste of Roobushin's great Attack stat.
Nothing much to add here.....
And my point was that you don't heal enough damage to make it worthwhile. You could just use a stronger attack and not take as many hits. That would save damage in the long run AND benefit your team, instead of praying for no crits and hovering at 50% the whole match.
Idk it always seemed differant for me the Hp drain was always pretty well and helps it tank pretty well as well.I cant really say anything to justify this because this is just the way i feel.

It doesn't have to beat it, it just Roars it away and shakes your team up, as well as setting up Sand for the rest of their team.
How did Hippo even get in this discussion anyways?T.T...But what im saying is that Hippo won't actually ever "wall" it or "counter" it like it did for some stuff like SDLuke.

With No Guard it has a 100% confusion rate. It also has 100 base power before STAB.
*Another dumb moment* I was really sleepy I wonder why i even said that >___>....Yah Dynamic Punch is definitely more reliable.No Disagreement here.

Except Kerudio :D
Kerudio <3.

And yes i do agree that this thread is hyping him too much but thats with a lot of other pokes as well and everyone is just psyched about all the new things so dont burst our Robushin is godly Bubble :D.

with iron fist he will. its the main reason he is on my team atm. balloon doryuuzu is fucking hard to check.

I agree, I started having two pokemon capable of using Psychic as a partial result. It, Kojondo, Blaziken, and even Infernape are still popular. Although for Blaziken, ironically, Ropushin is a better matchup thanks to better physical defense and Drain Punch. Especially after Bulk Up.

Roopushin might me a good counter to Dooryuzu but I assure you it's not the only reason it's popular. It can sweep if you let it.

You must be facing some terrible teams. Maybe they've never heard of Gengar. Or Shandera. Or Latios. Or friggin Espeon for that matter. Any strong Special Attacker that doesn't die to Mach Punch will finish off a weakened Roobushin, and several of them can OHKO from full HP.
?__?

Rohpushin can be EVed to survive latios DMs/shandera overheat/espeon psychics with enough HP and be able to KO with payback + mach punch. gengar doesn't really do anything you just can't restore your health against him. i've done it and it's really not that hard. if you're lucky they have psycho shock which does less damage to your boosted defense stat

?__?

Rohpushin can be EVed to survive latios DMs/shandera overheat/espeon psychics with enough HP and be able to KO with payback + mach punch. gengar doesn't really do anything you just can't restore your health against him. i've done it and it's really not that hard. if you're lucky they have psycho shock which does less damage to your boosted defense stat
Timid Espeon's unboosted Psychic does 91-108% to 40/216 Roobushin...

Shandera is immune to Mach Punch, as is Gengar, who does upward of 50% with LO Shadow Ball and can simply Destiny Bond him.

A team that can't counter or revenge Roobushin is not competitively sound. There's no excuse for getting 5-1'ed or 6-0'ed by Roobushin. Or even 4-2'ed. It should at best net a KO and some significant damage.

Roobushin is a great Pokemon in it's own right; that has nothing to do with Doryuuzu. Personally, I feel that Roobushin owning Tyranitar is much more of a feat. Nevertheless. it's high usage atm has everything to do with Doryuuzu.

SJCrew

I never said that it OHKOed the mole (it does with a Guts boost). It reliably finishes off weakened moles from about 60%. It is the primary reason that Roobushin is used. Believing otherwise is fooling yourself.
If that's all we wanted it for, then why not use Breloom or Hitmontop, who actually OHKO with no prior damage whatsoever? Why aren't those guys #5 instead of Roopushin?

Lol, "terrible team" argument. That shit gets old. I play a lot of good players and all of them have troubles with Roopushin. All of them. That's because none of them run Alakazam, LO Espeon, nor Specs Gochizeru (see: stuff that can actually switch in and threaten to OHKO). The most common teams in the top 20 consist of Ttar, Doryuuzu, and Shandera, with three fillers. And if none of those three fillers have STAB Psychic or Air Slash, you're going to have trouble beating Roopushin. Period.

No, you're just bad at using Roopushin and have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Gengar can't do anything to Roopushin besides hit it with Shadow Ball for like 30% then die to Payback. Latios doesn't even come close to OHKOing with a Specs Draco Meteor. And since I know he'll be using that when he comes in, I'll just Drain Punch him so that the next one won't KO, then Drain Punch the switch-in for more HP. This happens on a regular basis, if you keep him in relatively shape.

Your arguments about strong special attackers would be valid if we were facing Subpunch Roopushin, who runs max HP and Attack with Iron Fist, but then you're facing a new kind of beast, who can easily sub up on walls that can't hurt him or Pokemon he forces out and KO the strong special attacker you send in. Bulk Up Roopushin runs (or should be running) max/max Careful. That way, he can set up on weak special attacks.

The fact of the matter is, Roopushin is hard to kill and hits EVERYTHING for massive damage. Fighting type is audacious defensively, and with Guts, he doesn't have to care about status. Plus, with the new 75 BP Drain Punch, can 2HKO bulky sweepers like Garchomp at +1 (47.3% - 56.3%; even if Garchomp is at max HP and you roll low twice, you can finish him with Mach Punch).

Really, with arguments like these, I doubt you've used Roopushin extensively, if at all. If you want to start making some real arguments, make a good team and plug this set in somewhere:

Roopushin @ Leftovers
Careful 252 HP/252 Sp. Def/4 Speed
Ability: Guts

Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Mach Punch
Payback

Unless everyone starts running Specs Gochiruzeru or Wobbs, I guarantee you it won't disappoint (even if they do, switch to Sub Punch and lol).

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For those that struggle with Shandera: Shandera struggles against Scarf Tyranitar with Pursuit. Seriously, Shandera is only a problem if Roobushin gets dragged into the fight early, and you can actually EV Roobushin to survive the Overheat impact if Machamp can do it.
Figured out a solid EV spread thanks to X-Act's Defensive applet. 120 HP | 252 Atk | 136 SpD. This gives Rohpushin maximized attack while making it more defensive than Machamp and "slightly" inferior on the Special Defense side vs. Machamp. To compare them:

Rohpushin: 381 HP | 417 Atk | 226 Def | 200 SpD
Machamp: 384 HP | 394 Atk | 196 Def | 206 SpD

If you want to match Machamp's Atk and invest more in Special Defense, you can take up to 80 more EVs out of Attack. Yeah, that's how much more room Rohpushin has to buff his Special Defense problem! It requires 12 EVs to tie HP, then 24 to tie SpD. So you can run with a grand total of:

132 HP | 220 Atk | 160 SpD

Rohpushin will still have +14 Atk over Machamp, but of course it's just recommended to use 120 | 252 | 136 as suggested with an Adamant nature.
There is also 252 HP / 252 SpD Careful to consider.

Also surprised that no one mentioned Mach Punch stopping Terakion. Since Terakion will have to use Close Combat sometimes, it should be easy to put into OHKO range after a Defense drop. Terakion is mad dangerous too; especially Balloon variants that I've had major success with when I tested it for a short time.

SJCrew

I think max/max Careful is optimal for a Bulk Up set. Survivability on a slow boosting set is key, since it allows him to get off more Bulk Ups and tank more Pokemon before he goes down. Since he's already 2HKOing bulky SOBs like Chomp a +1, I don't think he needs to run 252 Att unless you plan on getting massive mileage out of Mach Punch.

Also, if you guys want some solid Roopushin counters, in place of the aforementioned Psychic types, you can also run Desukan. Payback won't kill him because he's slower and hitting him with it once overwrites Guts with Mummy, making you vulnerable to Will-o-Wisp.

@ Colonel: Jaroda is right behind Roopushin at #6 (or 7, idk) and I'd actually be afraid of running Terakion at all if it means he gets a free +2.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
@ Colonel: Jaroda is right behind Roopushin at #6 (or 7, idk) and I'd actually be afraid of running Terakion at all if it means he gets a free +2.
Dream World Jaroda teams don't often use Tyranitar, so I've just thrown Shandera to KO it since it's pretty easy. Yeah, though, Jaroda with Perversity is pretty threatening. Then again I was surprised that Salamence can take +6 with 0 HP EVs... 50%. -.-;

I've been using max Attack Adamant to help ensure the KO most of the time against Doryuuzu with Iron Fist. It also is pretty nice to make Hippowdon thinking twice about staying in to take an upgraded Drain Punch as well.

Where did you find this info with statistics anyway?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
http://91.121.107.186/index.html

Or, you can just go to the pokemon-online website, click 'competitive' and then click 'statistics'.
Ah, thank you.

Well, that doesn't surprise me with Ditto and Shandera in Dream World.

But Roobushin... I didn't even think it would really scratch the Top 10, but it's #5 on both of them. >_>; Then again it's the first month, which is why oddballs like Darkrai and DX-A are so low.

Really, it should come as no surprise than new Pokemon are at the top of the usage tiers. Tyranitar is a no-brainer.

Admittedly, I've never considered using a Careful Roobushin. That's a considerable power drop. Can a Careful Roobushin OHKO Max HP Shandera?

I still don't see how a well put together team loses to Roobushin. Especially a Careful one. 379 attack Mach Punch isn't threatening enough to destroy a team, especially to things like Gyarados and Salamence. Adamant Sub-Punch with Iron Fist seems like the best bet, which is why I use it (Payback + Mach Punch).

If nothing else, Gengar can switch in on a fighting move and bait you into premature demise with Destiny Bond. How much does does Careful Roopushin's Payback do to Gengar?

Edit: That list is ridiculous. Electivire is more used than Lati@s and Celebi? Charizard is more used than Darkrai? Srsly?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)