Consecutive Fishing!

There are multiple ways to increase your chances of finding shiny Pokemon in X and Y, such as the Masuda Method when hatching eggs, hordes, and the triumphant return of the Pokeradar. However, perhaps the easiest way of all is the fine art of consecutive fishing!

Consecutive fishing really has it all in the name: you quite simply fish repeatedly until you come across a shiny Pokemon. There are a few guidelines though that will help you obtain your Fishmon:

- First of all, you're gonna need a Pokemon with Suction Cups. Inkay and Malamar both have access to it, as do Octillery and Cradily. Suction Cups almost guarantees that you'll at least bring something to the surface, and best of all, it even works when the Pokemon is knocked out, so you can immediately follow up with your False Swipe 'mon. The Suction Cups mon must be in the first slot of your party however.

- Next, and this is vitally important: you must remain still. No moving from your first position! The slightest movement breaks your chain and forces you to start from the beginnning again. This sounds harsh but its really a non-issue, just dont move the circle/directional pad unless you're selecting your fishing rod from the Quick Select.

- Timing is everything. Don't pull reel your catch in as soon as you see the message, wait for the beep (obviously your sound needs to be turned on for this). It's happened to me many times that I pulled it in too quickly before waiting for the beep, and I broke my chain. Obviously don't take your time either, as you only have a window of around one second before your catch slips away again. You need to be fully concentrated to fish consecutively, in a quiet room without blaring music, other people or any other distractions.

- Fish by the rocks. Apparently this increases the encounter rate of Pokemon as well, but I'm unsure how neccessary this is if you have a Pokemon with the Suction Cups ability. As far as I'm aware though Suction Cups isn't utterly flawless, and fishing next to rocks stacks with Suction Cups so that you practically always get a bite. Needs confirmation though.

- Changing fishing rod does NOT break your chain. This I discovered by myself, when i had all three fishing rods on my quick select. I was chaining with the Super Rod when my finger accidentally slipped on the circle pad to the Old Rod. I reeled in a Luvdisc after having hooked only Dragalge and Relicanth. I proceeded to continue with the Super Rod. Two later, I hooked a shiny Dragalge. This leads me to question if alternating between rods actually increases the likelyhood of finding a shiny Fishmon, or if it was sheer dumb luck on my part. I've not tried this on purpose yet myself, but if anyone else has feel free to speak up!

As long as you follow these guidelines, you're pretty much guaranteed to stumble upon a shiny Fishmon. My quickest chain was 7, my longest was 43. In the span of two days I've fished up a shiny Poliwhirl, Goldeen, Lanturn, Remoraid and Dragalge. Although the pool of Pokemon that you cna fish up is obviously limited, the near guarantee of finding a shiny Pokemon pretty much makes up for this. So let's hear you stories: what you've chained, how many shinies of one species you've had, horror stories of chains that went wrong, anything really! :)

Last edited:
My quickest chain was about 15, when I got a shiny Relicanth in Cyllage City. I also got an Octillery in Azure Bay with a chain of about 30. My best chain so far is 81, but no shiny from it.

I really encourage people to try this method, as I find it engaging and it resulted in quick shinies for me. Also, you can turn your game off and still maintain your chain. My preferred spot is just west of Cyllage, fishing from the beach right near the line of rocks in the water.

What are some other good spots that people have found?

Last edited:
Topic: Consecutive Fishing is easy and guarantees shiny Fishmons fast!*
Me: 100+ chain later... nothing...

The next time I'm determined enough to try consecutive fishing again (probably some time in the morning, knowing me), I'll try switching between rods and see if that helps...

*disclaimer: generalization of information presented in topic.

How difficult is this to do without suction cups? I'd rather use a synchronizer to get good-natured shinies if it's not too difficult.

It's difficult to keep a chain going without suction cups, because you won't get a bite about half of the time.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
How difficult is this to do without suction cups? I'd rather use a synchronizer to get good-natured shinies if it's not too difficult.
The best chain I've ever gotten without Suction Cups is nine (obviously I didn't get a shiny from it).

Also, occasionally, even with a Suction Cups lead, you will get the message "Nothing seems to be biting."

well you can faint your suction cups mon and still have its effect work, and possibly follow up with a synchronizer? not tried this but i think it ought to work

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sadly, it doesn't (also, it appears that Synchronize's success rate was lowered from 50%).

Suction cups is too good to ignore.

But man, on roughly 50 catches and nothing.

Fuck my instagram friends..lucky pricks.

I got a 61 chain and a 68 chain that both broke but just when I was about to give up, after 13 I got a shiny Poliwhirl! I found I only didn't get a bite once with having a suction cups pokemon without being near rocks so I'm not sure the rocks affect it

I grabbed a Poliwhirl and a Clauncher today. About an hour for both. Seems as though this is easy as hell. Yawn.

Rocks didn't really do anything for me. Octillery handled it fine. Poliwhirl was caught in the middle of nowhere.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So far I have reached a chain of 200 152 but I do not see any of these mysterious shiny creatures you guys speak of. :( Will be continuing it.

I'm Super Rod fishing at the southwest of Ambrette Town where there's sand. It's like at the right-most side so there's rocks.

edit: i give up lol... maybe another day.

Last edited:
So far I have reached a chain of 200 152 but I do not see any of these mysterious shiny creatures you guys speak of. :( Will be continuing it.

I'm Super Rod fishing at the southwest of Ambrette Town where there's sand. It's like at the right-most side so there's rocks.

edit: i give up lol... maybe another day.
I know that feel (my best chain is somewhere above 150, I think)...

I'll try fishing in a different spot and seeing if it helps. Switching rods apparently didn't do anything...

Last night I had a 103 chain that ended in a nothing biting, then had like a 35 chain for a shiny Corsola on Route 12.

And I don't think switching rods has any effect.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
lol it's weird. I just fished up a shiny Dragalge at like a 15ish chain.

Dragalge - #691 (Bashful)
Male (♂)
HP: 5 - 7
Att: 10 - 12
Def: 28
SpA: 9 - 11
SpD: 23 - 25
Speed: 4 - 6

edit: 7 chain, shiny Seaking haha. I'm really addicted to this now.

Last edited:
I just bred a shiny Chinchou on my first egg. I mention it here because I bred it from a non-shiny Lanturn I caught during a 100+ chain that did not result in a shiny. This could be coincidence--I was using a Japanese Ditto as well--but I think it's worth noting.

Does walking in place break the chain? For example, the water is directly to your right, and you press right on the D pad. You walk in place and stay in the same square.

My first shiny was Poliwhirl at 60-something.
Fished up 40-something Luvdiscs, then accidentally reeled in early. Started again, and got a shiny on 16th.

The probability of a shiny with fishing seems to be different from the Poke Radar formula in Gen IV. Maybe they changed the formula for radar this Gen but I don't know.

Shiny Gyarados at Parfum Palace on a 155 chain.

As for walking in place, I'm also curious if it breaks your chain. If anyone has a small consecutive fishing record maybe they could test it: break your record by one, walk in place a bit, successfully fish at least one more time, then ask the fisherman what your best record is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)