1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Contrary NU team...

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by TheWaiter, Mar 31, 2013.

1. TheWaiter

TheWaiter

OK, so I've played NU for quite some time, but took a break a while back. When I returned, I found myself an outcast by using alien sets, and decided to take that to the max. Now I have a team of completely contrary Pokemon (yet no Serperior) which does surprisingly well... but needs desperate help. BTW, you may see me explaining myself when it comes to my sets- I do this because I know that they will otherwise be changed.

(Hypno) @ Flame Orb
    Trait: Insomnia
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Calm Nature
    - Trick
    - Future Sight
    - Wish
    - Protect

This thing's set is obvious- compensating for weak physical coverage with the burn. I know it doesn't make much of a wall whilst burned... but there aren't any fire types threatening enough to my team, so I'm not afraid to trick blindly. It out-stalls very well- it almost always gets lefties back. The future sight is the troll part of the set... I guess you can change it, but I feel like ti works really well. I'm considering switching it in for the Z-headbutt, but I'm quite attached to the whole burn stall, wish protect future sight strategy.

(Ninjask) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - X-Scissor
    - Aerial Ace
    - Double-Edge
    - U-Turn

This one is quite self explanatory really. It's easy to make your plays as to trick your opponent into thinking you are a baton pass set. Unfortunately, it can hardly 3HKO a physical Alomonola, so I'm completely considering replacing it (hopefully for a special sweeper, non-choices). Also the lack of a spinner makes it hard to handle... As you can tell I have 3 normal types, so I tried to compensate with surrounding types (and when people predict my Golurk to come in rather than this, I get some great momentum) but this thing can't really take a hit so...

(Miltank) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sap Sipper
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
    Impish Nature
    - Milk Drink
    - Heal Bell
    - Curse
    - Body Slam

By far the only actually viable thing on my team. In NU, the Sap sipper is really helpful, especially considering how crucial my Golurk is... I really think this is my glue. That being said, it works amazing as a sweeper, outspeeding half the tier even after a curse.

(Exploud) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Scrappy
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
    Modest Nature
    - Hyper Voice
    - Ice Beam
    - Shadow Ball
    - Surf

...Needless to say this thing sucks. No doubt only from the unexpectedness of it does it do well... but the whole scrappy hyper voice thing works well. I am totally open to replacing it, hopefully either another special sweeper which I desperately need. It can outspeed a Jolly Jumpluff, but that's the limit- it can't outspeed a jolly Floatzel. It's special attack stat is weak as hell...

(Golurk) @ Ghost Gem
    Trait: Iron Fist
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Shadow Punch
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Thief

I see so much hatred in this thing's future, but in it's defence, it works amazingly. Now obviously I need a spin blocker, and Golurk fits the bill, however, I expect many will say I use the No guard Dynamicpunch set, but... I have dodged countless stone edges and scrappy focus blasts with this thing, plus it can OHKO a Physically defensive Golurk after rocks with shadow gem shadow punch. After which, sub punch is useful considering the lack of SAFE physical coverage I have- Dynamicpunch would have Golurk dead in an ecstasy of revenge kills. Again, the thief is amazingly surprising against most.

(Regigigas) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Slow Start
    EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Atk
    Careful Nature
    - Confuse Ray
    - Thunder Wave
    - Drain Punch
    - Substitute

Seems standard enough for me- it's bulky enough to survive 5 turns, after which it becomes an unstoppable tank. It obviously can't sweep, but makes great utility, and better defence. There maybe better drain punch walls... but considering how Stall-And-Sweep my team is, it seems appropriate I use this.
  2. Garchomp for president

Garchomp for president

For one don't put ninjask with band. Just don't. Ill say it to you straight. It sucks.use this cacturn set instead
    Cacturn@Life orb
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Swords dance
    Seed bomb
    Drain punch
    Sucker punch
    Nature: Adamant Eve's:252ATK/4DEF/252SpE
    Its better. It just is.
  3. Konata Test

Konata Test

You got a team out there, now it just needs some tweaks.

Your team has a huge Zangoose weakness, not only that he can break your Hypno easily, he also breaks your Golurk, and you usually can't trick him since he's usually sent out poisoned with Toxic Orb. Your team can also have problems with Braviary against hypno, because substitute allows it to completely negate burn, and it has enough special defense to take a future sight, which you should not be running. Metang has the typing and bulk to take on Braviary and Zangoose, has Psych Up to copy Braviary's stats, and has stealth rock as an offensive tool for damaging pokemon that are weak to it. Metang > Hypno

If you need a choice bander, I suggest to use Sawk instead of Ninjask, it has good power, better typing, has good coverage, and has mold breaker to break things like Weezing, and Misdreavus a bit easier on the switch. Sturdy is usually used by Scarf sawk, to kill other scarfers, while mold breaker is preferred by Choice band Sawk since its purpose is to dish out as much damage as possible and wallbreak. Sawk > Ninjask

You have a huge Gardevoir weakness, due to your abundance of normal types, and Gardevoir usually packs Shadow ball and focus blast, to hit your pokemon hard. I suggest running Skuntank over Miltank, because Metang already fills up the physical wall spot, and you do not want to die against Gardevoir. Skuntank can also trap Gardevoir with pursuit, or hit it hard with crunch or sucker punch, taunt will also help you against setup sweepers, or other pokemon that sets up.
    Skuntank > Miltank

Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Metang @ Eviolite
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Meteor Mash
    - Psych Up
    - Stealth Rock
    - Toxic

[​IMG]
    Sawk @ Choice Band
    Trait: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe/ 4 Def
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    -Close Combat
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Punch
    -Stone Edge

[​IMG]
    Skuntank @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Aftermath
    EVs: 252 Atk / 220 SpD/ 36 Spe
    -Crunch/Poison Jab
    -Taunt
    -Sucker Punch
    -Pursuit

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)