Skarmory

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Taken over from gday

Q/C: 3/3 sparktrain, cbrevan, sparktrain
GP: 2/2 snobalt, haund

[OVERVIEW]

Skarmory's great defensive typing with eight resistances and two immunities, an immense Defense stat, and a fantastic utility movepool allow it to differentiate itself from other walls such as Cyclohm and Pyroak. Skarmory is able to naturally withstand potent attackers such as Mega Pinsir, and thanks to Sturdy, it is often able to stop many setup sweepers that other walls would fall victim to. Whirlwind, Defog, Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Taunt are all great support options that showcase Skarmory's role as a team player, and reliable recovery via Roost is able to keep Skarmory in top form throughout a match.

However, while Skarmory has the tools to be a great physically defensive wall, its subpar HP and Special Defense do leave some things to be desired. Common special attackers such as Volkraken, Mollux, Heatran, Cyclohm, and even Stratagem all have the power to force Skarmory out or outright defeat it. Even powerful neutral special attacks from the likes of Keldeo and Gengar can wreak havoc on Skarmory. Magnezone not only threatens Skarmory with its STAB moves, but can also trap and eliminate it from the match altogether. Fast Taunt users, such as Thundurus and Sableye, can also stop Skarmory from using its great utility moves, rendering it almost useless. However, Skarmory's Steel typing allows it to get past many Fairy-types, even those that are special attackers.

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Brave Bird / Counter
move 2: Roost
move 3: Spikes / Stealth Rock
move 4: Whirlwind / Defog / Taunt
item: Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
ability: Sturdy
nature: Impish / Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird deals respectable damage to foes weak to it such as Malaconda, Mega Venusuar, and Mega Pinsir. It also has the benefit of making sure Skarmory isn't forced out if crippled by Taunt. Alternatively, Counter works well with Sturdy and allows Skarmory to deal greater damage to hard-hitting physical attackers such as Colossoil, Cawmodore, and Mega Crucibelle. Roost is Skarmory's source of reliable recovery, and fortunately, it can be used against the faster Ground-types such as Colossoil. The last two moveslots are largely dependent on the needs of Skarmory's team. Spikes is the entry hazard with lower distribution, and Skarmory can use it to great effect to slowly chip away at the foe. Stealth Rock, however, is still a very viable option if Skarmory's team lacks a user of this move in order to weaken opposing Flying-, Fire-, Bug-, or Ice-types. Whirlwind is excellent for phazing setup sweepers such as Cawmodore and Gyarados. Defog can clear opposing entry hazards but runs the risk of making Skarmory have to reset its own. Lastly, Taunt is an option that lets Skarmory stop slower support Pokemon such as Chansey and Sylveon.

Set Details
========

252 HP and Defense EVs and an Impish nature maximize Skarmory's physical bulk. However, if Counter is used over Brave Bird, a Bold nature is preferable, since Counter doesn't deal damage based off of Skarmory's Attack stat and the decreased Attack means Skarmory will take less damage from Foul Play and confusion. Sturdy allows Skarmory to survive any attack from full health and respond with the appropriate move. Sturdy is particularly useful when using Counter or Whirlwind against an opposing Pokemon that has set up. For its item, Skarmory can use Rocky Helmet to discourage opposing physical attacks. Leftovers, however, can help keep Skarmory healthy and allows Sturdy to be intact more often.

Usage Tips
========

Skarmary's main roles are to set up entry hazards to support its team and to act as a physical check to attackers such as Colossoil, Mega Pinsir, and Gyarados. It can reliably set up entry hazards against either opposing physical attackers such as Landorus-T and Arghonaut or supporters such as Chansey. Skarmory should be kept at full health if planning to use Counter or Whirlwind against a foe that has set up so that Sturdy will remain intact. However, note that Mega Gyarados can negate Sturdy with Mold Breaker and KO Skarmory if it accumulates enough boosts. Due to it being slower than many offensive Ground-types, Skarmory is often able to use Roost without worry of being hit by Earthquake or Earth Power. If running Defog, Skarmory usually has the longevity to set up its own entry hazards after clearing the field, but the use of Defog should be determined on a case-by-case basis if it removes Skarmory's own hazards.

Team Options
========

Bulky Dragon-types such as Cyclohm and Latias work very well with Skarmory, as they cover its Fire- and Electric-type weaknesses. Specially bulky Pokemon such as Chansey, Heatran, and Clefable can take the special attacks aimed at Skarmory. Even if running Defog, Skarmory usually appreciates a teammate that can use Rapid Spin or otherwise keep opposing entry hazards off the field; this eases the burden for Skarmory to use Defog and potentially clear the hazards that it set earlier. In this regard, Mega Sableye is an apt partner thanks to Magic Bounce and greatly appreciates Skarmory's resistance to Fairy-types. In general, Skarmory prefers to be used on stall or balanced teams, as it can potentially stop the momentum of teammates if used on offensive builds. However, a few good offensive partners include Mega Charizard X and Mega Altaria, as they can come in against a Fire- or Electric-type move aimed at Skarmory and potentially set up. Skarmory, in turn, can help remove Stealth Rock, which would significantly reduce their potential to set up effectively.

[SET]
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Iron Head
move 4: Whirlwind / Taunt / Defog
item: Leftovers
nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Iron Head's main selling point is to deal damage against Fairy-type foes such as Mega Diancie, and it also prevents Skarmory from being shut down by faster Taunt users. Roost allows for instant recovery and gives Skarmory the potential to be used throughout the match. Spikes is generally Skarmory's preferred entry hazard, since Stealth Rock is more common and can be used by a teammate. However, both moves provide entry hazard support and can weaken the opposing team to allow Skarmory's teammates to sweep more easily. Whirlwind allows Skarmory to phaze threats that have set up and rack up entry hazard damage. Taunt can prevent slower foes from using support moves, allowing Skarmory to stop threats such as Ferrothorn and Trick Room Fidgit. Defog has the risk of blowing away Skarmory's own entry hazards, but it can be useful to rid the foe's entry hazards if they prove to be too much for Skarmory's team to handle.

Set Details
========

252 HP and Special Defense EVs and a Careful nature are used to maximize Skarmory's special bulk and allow it to take on powerful Fairies such as Sylveon and Mega Diancie. Sturdy allows Skarmory to take any hit at full health and still be able to get up at least one layer of entry hazards. Leftovers grants Skarmory passive recovery, which can be useful to keep Sturdy intact.

Usage Tips
========

This set allows Skarmory to serve as a counter or check to the various Fairy-types in the metagame, such as Sylveon, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Diancie. Thanks to its invested Special Defense, Skarmory can survive the 2HKO from Mega Gardevoir's or Mega Diancie's Hidden Power Fire. However, Skarmory still should not be expected to tank powerful Electric- or Fire-type moves. Against less offensive threats, Skarmory can reliably set up entry hazards. If running Whirlwind, Skarmory can be used to phaze setup sweepers, but if the opposing Pokemon has already accumulated multiple boosts, it likely needs to have Sturdy intact in order to survive. Due to it being slower than many offensive Ground-types, Skarmory is often able to use Roost without worry of being hit by Earthquake or Earth Power. Even without much Defense investment, Skarmory can still check some prominent physical attackers such as Colossoil, but it will not appreciate switching into multiple powerful hits.

Team Options
========

Skarmory is a great choice on stall and balanced teams, since it can reliably set and remove entry hazard moves. Bulky Dragon-types such as Cyclohm and Latias work very well with Skarmory, since they can help take the powerful Electric- or Fire-type attacks that Skarmory struggles to switch into. Physically defensive Cyclohm can provide extra physical insurance for the team as well, which Skarmory appreciates, since it cannot switch into every physical attack with impunity. However, Fairy-types that use Flamethrower or Fire Blast, such as Clefable, can pose a threat to a Cyclohm + Skarmory core. Mega Venusaur can take Electric-type attacks that might be aimed at Skarmory from Krilowatt and Mega Manectric. Together, Mega Venusaur and Skarmory create a solid defensive core, specifically against Fairy-type threats; Skarmory assists Mega Venusaur with its Mega Gardevoir weakness, while Mega Venusaur can ease Skarmory's burden to take heavy hits from Azumarill. Heatran can be a great partner to take special attacks, particularly Fire-type moves, and Chansey can sponge special attacks. Mega Sableye greatly appreciates Skarmory's resistance to Fairy-types, and together, the two can prevent and set entry hazards quite well. Rapid Spin users such as Colossoil can be helpful as well to aid Skarmory in entry hazard removal without the risk of removing Skarmory's own hazards that might have been set earlier in the match. Offensive partners such as Mega Charizard X and Mega Altaria greatly appreciate Skarmory removing Stealth Rock from the field, and they can take Electric- and Fire-type moves aimed at Skarmory; if played correctly, Skarmory can serve as a lure that lets these offensive partners set up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Custap Berry is useful for an extra turn of action before Skarmory is KOed, and it pairs well with Sturdy; this set is often used best as a lead. Shed Shell can be used to escape Magnezone; however, Rocky Helmet and Leftovers usually offer more utility. Red Card can be used to force out opposing Pokemon and allow Skarmory to set up more entry hazards. Thanks to Sturdy, Skarmory can even use Red Card as a one-time check to send away opposing setup sweepers even after they have accumulated a hefty amount of boosts. However, Red Card's utility is often covered by Whirlwind instead. Toxic can be effective against slower walls, but finding a slot for it often means that Skarmory will be susceptible to Taunt. Drill Peck can be used as an attacking move without recoil, which in turn helps to keep Sturdy intact more often, but the damage output is noticeably less than that of Brave Bird. Skarmory can run Tailwind if its team really needs a Speed boost. However, Skarmory's lack of a pivot move makes Tailwind usually a more attractive option on other Pokemon, such as Tornadus, Tornadus-T, and Fidgit.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Magnezone**: Magnezone can trap and KO Skarmory, and there's nothing Skarmory can do to stop it if it gets caught without Shed Shell.

**Fire- and Electric-type moves**: Skarmory can withstand most weaker physical Electric- and Fire-type moves, and the specially defensive set can do likewise for weaker special moves. However, strong STAB moves from threats such as both Mega Charizard formes, Mollux, and Life Orb Krilowatt will do massive damage even with heavy investment in the corresponding defensive stat.

**Faster Taunt Users**: Thundurus, Mandibuzz, and Reflect Tomohawk can all outspeed and Taunt Skarmory before it can use a support move.

**Powerful Special Attackers**: Keldeo, Gengar, and even Kyurem-B all offer neutral special attacking coverage on Skarmory and can often KO it, especially if Sturdy is already broken.

**Rebound Colossoil and Magic Bounce Users**: Most notably, Magic Bounce Mega Sableye can bounce entry hazards back to Skarmory's side of the field, while Rebound Colossoil can only bounce a single layer but can potentially spin away others. That said, if the switch is predicted correctly, Skarmory can hit and score some damage on these threats with Brave Bird or Iron Head. Mega Diancie can fairly effectively use Magic Bounce in a pinch versus physically defensive sets. However, specially defensive Skarmory can handle everything from Mega Diancie if at full health.

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
So, I'm taking this over from gday. The analysis already has 2 QCs from it's old thread, but I'm reducing it down to 1 QC since a) the first QC was from me and it's unfair to keep the QC and make it look like I'm QCing my own stuff and 2) it's been months and months and months and it would be a good idea for us to go through this and make sure it's up to date.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
A Custap Berry HO Lead set should be mentioned in OO,as it can get a layer of Stealth Rock and Spikes up quickly as well as having Taunt to mess with other leads, such as Sticky Web Necturna. It can also use Iron Head to get past Mega Diancie or even Brave Bird as a suicide move.

Taunt should get a slash somewhere on the Physically Defensive set, 70 speed isn't terrible for a defensive mon and it lets you mess with slower stuff like Chansey, Clefable, Sylveon, and Ferrothorn. Taunt also helps discourage setup and lets you stop opposing hazard setters.

Special Defensive Skarmory is actually a pretty nice check to Fairy types and is probably well worth a set; it can check almost all the common Fairies well and hits all of them for a ton of damage with Iron Head, while still keeping its role as a Spike stacker.

On the overview, I'm not sure how relevant being the best Mega-Pinsir counter in the game is; you could probably just change that to a list of stuff it checks, like EQ Mega Metagross, Mega Lopunny, etc. Being complete Taunt and setup bait for certain mons like Thundurus, Mega Sableye, and Gyarados is probably worth mentioning, and a weakness to Volt Switch as well since its a massive momentum suck for it.

You should probably fix the mention of what it "counters" under Usage Tips since its not really a counter but a solid check, and that one mention of Aegislash in Other Options.

Custap lead set is actually surprisingly effective. I used it a lot, and it can set up quite a bit before going down. Brave Bird is a great suicide move too, to stop spinning/defogging.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Updated to the new format, added Taunt on the last moveslot and removed from OO, added Custap to OO, removed mention of Aegislash, and some other things. Pretty much the the only suggestion not implemented is turn Specially Defensive into a full set, since I want to do more research on this for the time being. Opinions of this subject are appreciated, as well.

I'm in favor of the specially defensive set being added; serves as a excellent check to numerous Fairy-types which is pretty cool in this meta.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
I've started a preliminary Specially Defensive set, but it is still highly WIP. I'll be testing this myself soon.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Alright, I have worked on the Specially Defensive a bit more. I tested Specially Defensive Skarmory out a fair bit... and to be honest, I just don't really like it. It stops a few Fairy-types like Mega Diancie pretty hard, but it still loses to ones that carry Flamethrower or Fire Blast, most notably Clefable and to a lesser extent Togekiss. Mega Gardevoir and Specs Sylveon also are known to carry HP Fire, so Skarmory can't switch in nearly as reliably as "Specially Defensive" would imply.

Short story short, in the analysis, I've done the work and put up what the Specially Defensive set would look like if it were to be considered a full set, but I personally am leaning towards it just being OO in the end... I've talked to cbrevan about this and he disagrees with me, so I'll leave the discussion open up for a bit... I tried it, gave it a shot, and am just underwhelmed by it :c Ultimately, the decision is up to the other QC members, though.

EDIT: Also went and reduced the current QC on this back to zero, since it's pretty old.

Hi HeaLnDeaL, a few quick things

Physically Defensive
- The point about 248 HP letting Skarmory take less damage from SR and burns should apply to the first set as well, so 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD can be the spread.
- SDef Heatran in team options to sponge Fire-type moves / take on quite a few special attackers that trouble Skarmory in general, Skarmory in turn can handle Ground-types

Specially Defensive
The set looks fine, but I dunno if we ever decided whether to keep this as a main set or just OO. It kinda lost part of its niche with Lando-I's banning, so I could go either way at this point. I'd like the next QCer to comment on this (tagging QueenOfLuvdiscs since you're more of a stall guy than than I am)

- There's a mention of SDef Skarm in OO still; that can be removed for now, replaced later if need be.
- In the Fire/Electric type section in OO, adding "from the likes of Mollux, Mega Charizard Y, Krilowatt, etc" or whatever examples you feel are appropriate would be good here.

QC 1/3

Looking back at this really quick, I think both sets should be changed to 252 / 252 / 4, since the bit about 248 HP and SR/burn damage is incorrect (333/8 = 41.625 -> 41, 334/8 = 41.75 -> 41), my apologies for not catching this in my initial check.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Interesting. I just now checked OU's analysis, and under sp def is says:

OU Sp Def Skarm said:
The Special Defense and HP EVs along with a Careful nature maximize Skarmory's special bulk. 248 HP EVs let Skarmory take one less point of Stealth Rock and residual damage, such as from burns.
Your SR math looks correct though, if I'm applying that right... So uhh yeah, I'm going to implement your suggestion.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi, sorry that this has took so long.

Both set's team options
- More specially defensive pokemon in addition to Chansey, such as Clefable and Heatran.
- Mega Sableye enjoys the Fairy resist and can use keep hazards of the field for Skarmory lacking Defog.

Other Options
- When mentioning Custap, talk about its use as a lead specifically.
- Move Shed Shell above Red Card since its a lot more useful.
- Same thing with Toxic above Tailwind, in fact I'm not even sure if Tailwind Skarmory is ever worth using due to its low offensive presence and lack of U-turn. Is a potential three turns of Tailwind abuse worth mentioning when there are mons that just do it so much better?
- Drill Peck somewhere as recoilless stab move.

Checks and Counters
- Some examples of powerful special attackers would be nice, such as Keldeo, Gengar, Kyurem-B.
- Spdef Skarmory is built to beat every Diancie bar HP Fire so thats worth mentioning.

Implement all of these and you can consider this QC 2/3.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
So this was dropped by the person who took it after I dropped it. So I guess I took it back. Written up. No idea if QC should be lowered again tho, up to you kids.

cbrevan and I looked this over and made a few comments

- Mention some offensive teammates as well (both sets) in addition to defensive teammates. Setup sweepers like Mega Charizard-X and Mega Altaria come to mind, they can set up on the Fire- and Electric-type attackers that threaten Skarmory courtesy of their typings, and appreciate Skarmory providing hazard support/removal.
- Add Mega Venusaur as a teammate for SDef Skarm, the two have some nice defensive synergy. Mega Venusaur can sponge hits from the likes of Krilowatt, Mega Manectric, etc that skarm struggles with, together they form a strong anti-Fairy core (for example skarm handles garde much better, venu is a much better answer to azu)
- OO: Shed Shell isn't consumed, so Skarmory can escape from Magnezone as many times as needed.
- C&C: In the hazard bouncer section, Mega Sableye's mention should be stronger since it's a hard stop to all sets and can heal off any damage it takes. Rebound Colossoil is definitely the weakest link of the three; it can only bounce back a single layer of entry hazards, and it still loses to Skarmory in the long run.

Looks good, QC 3/3

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Changes implemented, but requesting it to be skimmed through once more to make sure I got the new stuff right.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
amcheck~ [add remove comments]
[OVERVIEW]

Skarmory's great defensive typing with 8 eight resistances and 2 two immunities Spell out numbers less than 10, an immense Defense stat, and a fantastic utility movepool allow it to differentiate itself from the crowd of competition from unnecessary fluff, repeat of 'from' other walls such as Cyclohm and Pyroak. Skarmory is able to naturally withstand potent attackers such as Mega Pinsir, and thanks to Sturdy, (AC) adverbial clauses nearly always have a comma after them it is often able to stop many setup sweepers that other walls would fall victim to. Whirlwind, Defog, Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Taunt are all great support options and showcase Skarmory's role as a team player, and reliable recovery via Roost is able to keep Skarmory in top form throughout a match.

But However, acceptable in articles, but not analyses while Skarmory has the tools to be a great physically defensive wall, its subpar HP and Special Defense do leave some things to be desired. Common special attackers such as Volkraken, Mollux, Heatran, Cyclohm, and even Stratagem all have the power to force Skarmory out or otherwise outright defeat it. Even powerful neutral special attacks from the likes of Keldeo or Gengar can wreak havoc on Skarmory. Magnezone not only threatens Skarmory with its STAB moves, but also can can also "also" usually goes after the auxiliary trap it and eliminate it from the match altogether. Speedy Fast Taunt users, such as Thundurus and Sableye, can also stop Skarmory from using its great utility moves, rendering it almost useless. However, Skarmory's Steel typing allows it to potentially using "potentially" here makes it seem doubtful get past many Fairy-types, even those that are special attackers. Overall, Skarmory has the tools to be a great physical wall and team supporter, and has enough flexibility to adapt to the many common Fairy-types in the meta.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is Skarmory's STAB move of choice, dealing deals respectable damage to foes weak to it such as Malaconda, Mega Venusuar, and Mega Pinsir. It also has the benefit of making sure Skarmory isn't forced out if Taunted. Counter, (AC) however, (AC) is an alternative, as it works well with Sturdy and allows Skarmory to deal greater damage to hard-hitting physical attackers like Colossoil, Cawmodore and Mega Crucibelle. Roost is Skarmory's source of reliable recovery, and fortunately, (AC) it can be used against the faster Ground-types such as Colossoil. The last two moveslots are largely dependent on the needs of Skarmory's team. Spikes is the entry hazard with the lower distribution and Skarmory can use it to great effect to slowly chip away at the foe. Stealth Rock, (AC) however, (AC) is still a very viable option if Skarmory's team lacks a user of this move in order to weaken opposing Flying-, Fire-, Bug-, or Ice-types. Whirlwind is excellent for phaszing out setup sweepers such as Cawmodore or Gyarados. Defog can clear opposing entry hazards but runs the risk of making Skarmory have to reset its own. Lastly, Taunt is an option that lets Skarmory stop slower support Pokemon such as Chansey and Sylveon.

Set Details
========

An Impish nature with 252 HP and 252 Defense EVs maximize Skarmory's physical bulk. However, if Counter is used over Brave Bird, (AC) then a Bold nature is preferable since Counter doesn't deal damage based off of Skarmory's Attack stat and the lower decreased "lower" is usually used as a comparative Attack means Skarmory will take less damage from Foul Play or when confused. Sturdy is Skarmory's most viable ability as it allows Skarmory to survive any attack if at from full health and respond with the appriate appropriate move;. (RSC, AP) Sturdy is particularly useful when using Counter or Whirlwind against an opposing Pokemon that has set up. For its item, Skarmory can use Rocky Helmet to discourage opposing physical attacks. Leftovers, however, can help keep Skarmory healthy and helps keep Sturdy intact more often.

Usage Tips
========

Skarmary's main roles are to set up entry hazards to support its team and to act as a physical check to attackers such as Colossoil, Mega Pinsir, and Gyarados. It can reliably set up entry hazards against either opposing physical attackers such as Landorus-T and Arghonaut, (AC) or supporters such as Chansey. Skarmory should be kept at full health if planning to use Counter or Whirlwind against a foe that has set up so that Sturdy will remain intact. However, note that Mega Gyarados can negate Skarmory's ability with Mold Breaker and KO it if it accumulates enough boosts. Thanks to being slower than many offensive Ground-types, Skarmory is often able to Roost without worry of being hit by an Earthquake or Earth Power. If running Defog, Skarmory usually has the longevity to set up its own entry hazards after clearing the field, but use of Defog should be determined on a case-by-case basis if it removes Skarmory's own hazards.

Team Options
========

Bulky Dragon-types such as Cyclohm and Latias work very well with Skarmory as they cover its Fire- and Electric-type weaknesses. Specially bulky Pokemon such as Chansey, Heatran, and Clefable can take the special attacks aimed at Skarmory. Even if running Defog, Skarmory usually appreciates a teammate that can use Rapid Spin or otherwise prevent opposing entry hazards; as this eases the burden for Skarmory to use Defog and potentially clear the hazards that it set earlier. In this regard, Mega Sableye is an apt partner and greatly appreciates Skarmory's resistance to Fairy-types. Together, (AC) Mega Sableye and Skarmory can prevent (and set) and set there's no need for the parentheses here entry hazard moves quite well. In general, Skarmory prefers to be used on stall or balanced teams, as it can potentially stop the momentum of teammates if used on offensive variants. However, a few good offensive partners include Mega Charizard X and Mega Altaria as they can come in against a Fire- or Electric-type move aimed at Skarmory and potentially set up. Skarmory in turn can help remove Stealth Rock that would significantly reduce their potential to set up effectively.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Iron Head's main selling point is to deal damage against Fairy-type foes such as Mega Diancie, and it also prevents Skarmory from being locked down by faster Taunt users. Roost allows for instant recovery and gives Skarmory the potential to be used throughout the match. Spikes is generally Skarmory's preferred entry hazard since Stealth Rock is more common and can be used by a teammate. However, both moves provide entry hazard support and can weaken the opposing team to allow for Skarmory's teammates to sweep easier. Whirlwind allows Skarmory to phaze out threats that have set up and rack up entry hazard damage. Taunt can prevent slower foes from using support moves, allowing Skarmory to stop threats such as Ferrothorn and Trick Room Fidgit. Defog has the risk of blowing away Skarmory's own entry hazards, but can be useful to rid the foe's entry hazards if they prove to be too much for Skarmory's team to handle.

Set Details
========

A Careful nature with 252 HP and 252 Special Defense EVs are used to maximize Skarmory's special bulk and allow it to take on powerful Fairies such as Sylveon and Mega Diancie. Sturdy allows Skarmory to take any hit at full health and still be able to get up at least one layer of entry hazard support. Leftovers allows Skarmory to have passive recovery, which can be useful to keep Sturdy intact.

Usage Tips
========

This set allows Skarmory to serve as a counter or check to the various Fairy-types in the metagame, such as Sylveon, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Diancie. Thanks to its invested Special Defense, Skarmory can survive the 2HKO even from a Hidden Power Fire from Mega Gardevoir or Mega Diancie from Mega Gardevoir or Mega Diancie's Hidden Power Fire you keep repeating 'from' so I reworded the sentence. However, Skarmory still should not be expected to tank powerful Electric- or Fire-type moves. Against less offensive threats, Skarmory can reliably set up entry hazards. If running Whirlwind, Skarmory can be used to phaze out setup sweepers, but if the opposing Pokemon has already accumulated multiple boosts then it likely needs to have Sturdy intact in order to survive. Thanks to being slower than many offensive Ground-types, Skarmory is often able to Roost without worry of being hit by an Earthquake or Earth Power. Even without much Defense investment, Skarmory can still check some prominent physical attackers such as Colossoil, but will not appreciate switching into multiple powerful hits.

Team Options
========

Bulky Dragon-types such as Cyclohm and Latias work very well with Skarmory since they can help take the powerful Electric- or Fire-type attacks that Skarmory struggles to switch into. Physically defensive Cyclohm can provide extra physical insurance for the team as well, something that Skarmory appreciates since it cannot switch into every physical attacks with impunity. However, Fairy-types that use Flamethrower or Fire Blast, such as Clefable, can pose a threat to a Cyclohm and Skarmory core. Mega Venusaur can take Electric-type attacks that might be aimed at Skarmory from Krilowatt or Mega Manaectric that might be aimed at Skarmory. Together, Mega Venusaur and Skarmory create a solid defensive core specifically against Fairy-type threats; Skarmory assists Mega Venusaur with its Mega Gardevoir weakness while Mega Venusaur can ease Skarmory's burden to take heavy hits from Azumaril. Heatran can be a great partner to take special attacks, particularly Fire-type moves, and Chansey as always can sponge special attacks. Mega Sableye greatly appreciates Skarmory's resistance to Fairy-types, and together Mega Sableye and Skarmory can prevent (and set) entry hazard moves quite well. Rapid Spin users such as Colossoil can be helpful as well to aid Skarmory in entry hazard removal without the risk of removing Skarmory's own hazards that might have been set earlier in the match. Skarmory is a great choice on stall and balance teams since it can reliably set and remove entry hazard moves. Offensive partners such as Mega Charizard X or Mega Altaria greatly appreciate Skarmory removing Stealth Rock from the field and they can take Electric- (AH) and Fire-type moves aimed at Skarmory; if played correctly, Skarmory can serve as a lure that lets these offensive partners set up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Custap Berry is useful for an extra turn of action before Skarmory is KOed, and it pairs well with Sturdy; this if often best as a lead. Shed Shell can be used to escape Magnezone,; (RC, ASC) however, (AC) Rocky Helmet and Leftovers usually offer more utility. Red Card can be used to force out opposing Pokemon and can allow Skarmory to set up more entry hazards moves. Thanks to Sturdy, Skarmory can even use Red Card as a one time check to send away opposing setup sweepers even after they have accumulated a hefty amount of boosts. However, Red Card's utility is often covered by the use of the move Whirlwind instead. Toxic can both be effective against slower stall Pokemon, but often finding a slot of for it means that Skarmory will be susceptible to Taunt. Drill Peck can be used by Skarmory as an attacking move without recoil, which in turn helps to keep Sturdy intact more often, but the damage output is noticeably less than that of Brave Bird. Skarmory can run Tailwind if its team really needs a boost of speed if you're speaking technically (ie. stat wise), change the underlined part to "in Speed". However, Skarmory's lack of a pivot move makes Tailwind usually a more attractive option on other Pokemon, such as Tornadus or Fidgit.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Trappers**: Magnezone can trap and KO Skarmory, and there's nothing Skarmory can do to stop it if it gets caught without Shed Shell.

**Fire- and Electric-type moves**: Skarmory can somewhat withstand most weaker physical Electric- or Fire-type moves and the specially defensive set can do likewise for weaker special moves. However, (AC) strong STAB moves from threats such as Mega Charizard X and Mega Charizard Y, Mollux, and Life Orb Krilowatt will do massive damage even with heavy investment in the corresponding defensive stat.

**Faster Taunt Users**: Thundurus, Mandibuzz, and Reflect Tomohawk can all outspeed and Taunt Skarmory before it can use a supporting move.

**Powerful Special Attackers**: Keldeo, Gengar, and even Kyurem-B all offer neutral special attacking coverage on Skarmory and can often KO Skarmory, especially if Sturdy is already broken has already been used.

**Hazard Bouncers should this be 'Hazard Bounce users?**: Most notably, (AC) Magic Bounce Mega Sableye can bounce hazards back to Skarmory's side of the field, whereas Rebound Colossoil can only bounce a single layer but then potentially spin others. That said, if the switch is predicted correctly, Skarmory can hit and score some damage on these threats with Brave Bird or Iron Head. Mega Diancie can fairly effectively use Magic Bounce in a pinch versus physically defensive sets. However, specially defensive Skarmory can handle everything from Mega Diancie if at full health.
It was a solid analysis, just some missing words, repetition and placement issues [:

Last edited:

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sobi: add remove comment
Me: add remove comment
[OVERVIEW]

Skarmory's great defensive typing with 8 eight resistances and 2 two immunities Spell out numbers less than 10, an immense Defense stat, and a fantastic utility movepool allow it to differentiate itself from the crowd of competition from unnecessary fluff, repeat of 'from' other walls such as Cyclohm and Pyroak. Skarmory is able to naturally withstand potent attackers such as Mega Pinsir, and thanks to Sturdy, (AC) adverbial clauses nearly always have a comma after them it is often able to stop many setup sweepers that other walls would fall victim to. Whirlwind, Defog, Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Taunt are all great support options and that showcase Skarmory's role as a team player, and reliable recovery via Roost is able to keep Skarmory in top form throughout a match.

But However, acceptable in articles, but not analyses while Skarmory has the tools to be a great physically defensive wall, its subpar HP and Special Defense do leave some things to be desired. Common special attackers such as Volkraken, Mollux, Heatran, Cyclohm, and even Stratagem all have the power to force Skarmory out or otherwise outright defeat it. Even powerful neutral special attacks from the likes of Keldeo or and Gengar can wreak havoc on Skarmory. Magnezone not only threatens Skarmory with its STAB moves, but also can can also "also" usually goes after the auxiliary trap it and eliminate it from the match altogether. Speedy Fast Taunt users, such as Thundurus and Sableye, can also stop Skarmory from using its great utility moves, rendering it almost useless. However, Skarmory's Steel typing allows it to potentially using "potentially" here makes it seem doubtful get past many Fairy-types, even those that are special attackers. Overall, Skarmory has the tools to be a great physical wall and team supporter, and has enough flexibility to adapt to the many common Fairy-types in the meta. (adds nothing new)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is Skarmory's STAB move of choice, dealing deals respectable damage to foes weak to it such as Malaconda, Mega Venusuar, and Mega Pinsir. It also has the benefit of making sure Skarmory isn't forced out if crippled by Taunted. Alternatively, Counter however is an alternative, as it works well with Sturdy and allows Skarmory to deal greater damage to hard-hitting physical attackers like such as Colossoil, Cawmodore, (AC) and Mega Crucibelle. Roost is Skarmory's source of reliable recovery, and fortunately, (AC) it can be used against the faster Ground-types such as Colossoil. The last two moveslots are largely dependent on the needs of Skarmory's team. Spikes is the entry hazard with the lower distribution, (AC) and Skarmory can use it to great effect to slowly chip away at the foe. Stealth Rock, (AC) however, (AC) is still a very viable option if Skarmory's team lacks a user of this move in order to weaken opposing Flying-, Fire-, Bug-, or Ice-types. Whirlwind is excellent for phaszing out setup sweepers such as Cawmodore or and Gyarados. Defog can clear opposing entry hazards but runs the risk of making Skarmory have to reset its own. Lastly, Taunt is an option that lets Skarmory stop slower support Pokemon such as Chansey and Sylveon.

Set Details
========

An Impish nature with 252 HP and 252 Defense EVs and an Impish nature (otherwise it'd have to be "EVs maximizes," which doesn't sound good imo) maximize Skarmory's physical bulk. However, if Counter is used over Brave Bird, (AC) then a Bold nature is preferable, (AC) since Counter doesn't deal damage based off of Skarmory's Attack stat and the lower decreased "lower" is usually used as a comparative Attack means Skarmory will take less damage from Foul Play or when confused and confusion. Sturdy is Skarmory's most viable ability as it allows Skarmory to survive any attack if at from full health and respond with the appriate appropriate move;. (RSC, AP) Sturdy is particularly useful when using Counter or Whirlwind against an opposing Pokemon that has set up. For its item, Skarmory can use Rocky Helmet to discourage opposing physical attacks. Leftovers, however, can help keep Skarmory healthy and helps keep allows Sturdy to be (not entirely thrilled with my own wording, but the repetition needs to be cut here) intact more often.

Usage Tips
========

Skarmary's main roles are to set up entry hazards to support its team and to act as a physical check to attackers such as Colossoil, Mega Pinsir, and Gyarados. It can reliably set up entry hazards against either opposing physical attackers such as Landorus-T and Arghonaut, (AC) (nah, I don't think a comma is needed here) or supporters such as Chansey. Skarmory should be kept at full health if planning to use Counter or Whirlwind against a foe that has set up so that Sturdy will remain intact. However, note that Mega Gyarados can negate Skarmory's ability Sturdy with Mold Breaker and KO it Skarmory if it accumulates enough boosts. Thanks Due to it being slower than many offensive Ground-types, Skarmory is often able to use Roost without worry of being hit by an Earthquake or Earth Power. If running Defog, Skarmory usually has the longevity to set up its own entry hazards after clearing the field, but use of Defog should be determined on a case-by-case basis if it removes Skarmory's own hazards.

Team Options
========

Bulky Dragon-types such as Cyclohm and Latias work very well with Skarmory, (AC) as they cover its Fire- and Electric-type weaknesses. Specially bulky Pokemon such as Chansey, Heatran, and Clefable can take the special attacks aimed at Skarmory. Even if running Defog, Skarmory usually appreciates a teammate that can use Rapid Spin or otherwise prevent opposing entry hazards; as (it was fine before imo) this eases the burden for Skarmory to use Defog and potentially clear the hazards that it set earlier. In this regard, Mega Sableye is an apt partner and greatly appreciates Skarmory's resistance to Fairy-types. Together, (AC) Mega Sableye and Skarmory can prevent (and set) and set there's no need for the parentheses here entry hazards moves quite well. In general, Skarmory prefers to be used on stall or balanced teams, as it can potentially stop the momentum of teammates if used on offensive variants builds. However, a few good offensive partners include Mega Charizard X and Mega Altaria, (AC) as they can come in against a Fire- or Electric-type move aimed at Skarmory and potentially (why remove this?) set up. Skarmory, (AC) in turn, (AC) can help remove Stealth Rock that would significantly reduce their potential to set up effectively.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Iron Head's main selling point is to deal damage against Fairy-type foes such as Mega Diancie, and it also prevents Skarmory from being locked shut down by faster Taunt users. Roost allows for instant recovery and gives Skarmory the potential to be used throughout the match. Spikes is generally Skarmory's preferred entry hazard, (AC) since Stealth Rock is more common and can be used by a teammate. However, both moves provide entry hazard support and can weaken the opposing team to allow for Skarmory's teammates to sweep easier more easily. Whirlwind allows Skarmory to phaze out threats that have set up and rack up entry hazard damage. Taunt can prevent slower foes from using support moves, allowing Skarmory to stop threats such as Ferrothorn and Trick Room Fidgit. Defog has the risk of blowing away Skarmory's own entry hazards, but it can be useful to rid the foe's entry hazards if they prove to be too much for Skarmory's team to handle.

Set Details
========

A Careful nature with 252 HP and 252 Special Defense EVs and a Careful nature are used to maximize Skarmory's special bulk and allow it to take on powerful Fairies such as Sylveon and Mega Diancie. Sturdy allows Skarmory to take any hit at full health and still be able to get up at least one layer of entry hazards support. Leftovers allows grants Skarmory to have (subjective, but less fluffy imo) passive recovery, which can be useful to keep Sturdy intact.

Usage Tips
========

This set allows Skarmory to serve as a counter or check to the various Fairy-types in the metagame, such as Sylveon, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Diancie. Thanks to its invested Special Defense, Skarmory can survive the 2HKO even from a Hidden Power Fire from Mega Gardevoir or Mega Diancie from Mega Gardevoir's or Mega Diancie's Hidden Power Fire you keep repeating 'from' so I reworded the sentence. However, Skarmory still should not be expected to tank powerful Electric- or Fire-type moves. Against less offensive threats, Skarmory can reliably set up entry hazards. If running Whirlwind, Skarmory can be used to phaze out setup sweepers, but if the opposing Pokemon has already accumulated multiple boosts, (AC) then it likely needs to have Sturdy intact in order to survive. Thanks Due to it being slower than many offensive Ground-types, Skarmory is often able to use Roost without worry of being hit by an Earthquake or Earth Power. (You're not supposed to copy-and-paste stuff, but I'll let it slide b/c it's just the one line.) Even without much Defense investment, Skarmory can still check some prominent physical attackers such as Colossoil, but it will not appreciate switching into multiple powerful hits.

Team Options
========

Bulky Dragon-types such as Cyclohm and Latias work very well with Skarmory, (AC) since they can help take the powerful Electric- or Fire-type attacks that Skarmory struggles to switch into. (It's like déjà vu all over again.) Physically defensive Cyclohm can provide extra physical insurance for the team as well, something that which Skarmory appreciates, (AC) since it cannot switch into every physical attacks with impunity. However, Fairy-types that use Flamethrower or Fire Blast, such as Clefable, can pose a threat to a Cyclohm and + Skarmory core. Mega Venusaur can take Electric-type attacks that might be aimed at Skarmory from Krilowatt or and Mega Manaectric that might be aimed at Skarmory. Together, Mega Venusaur and Skarmory create a solid defensive core, (AC) specifically against Fairy-type threats; Skarmory assists Mega Venusaur with its Mega Gardevoir weakness, (AC) while Mega Venusaur can ease Skarmory's burden to take heavy hits from Azumarill. Heatran can be a great partner to take special attacks, particularly Fire-type moves, and Chansey as always can sponge special attacks. Mega Sableye greatly appreciates Skarmory's resistance to Fairy-types, and together, the two Mega Sableye and Skarmory can prevent (and set) entry hazards moves quite well. Rapid Spin users such as Colossoil can be helpful as well to aid Skarmory in entry hazard removal without the risk of removing Skarmory's own hazards that might have been set earlier in the match. Skarmory is a great choice on stall and balance teams since it can reliably set and remove entry hazard moves. (This obviously wasn't the best place for this sentence, but it still seems like a relatively important point. Perhaps move it to the beginning of Team Options, or to Usage Tips?) Offensive partners such as Mega Charizard X or and Mega Altaria greatly appreciate Skarmory removing Stealth Rock from the field, (AC) and they can take Electric- (AH) and Fire-type moves aimed at Skarmory; if played correctly, Skarmory can serve as a lure that lets these offensive partners set up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Custap Berry is useful for an extra turn of action before Skarmory is KOed, and it pairs well with Sturdy; this if set is often best as a lead. Shed Shell can be used to escape Magnezone,; (RC, ASC) however, (AC) Rocky Helmet and Leftovers usually offer more utility. Red Card can be used to force out opposing Pokemon and can allow Skarmory to set up more entry hazards moves. Thanks to Sturdy, Skarmory can even use Red Card as a one-(AH)time check to send away opposing setup sweepers even after they have accumulated a hefty amount of boosts. However, Red Card's utility is often covered by the use of the move Whirlwind instead. Toxic can both be effective against slower stall Pokemon, but often finding a slot of for it often means that Skarmory will be susceptible to Taunt. Drill Peck can be used by Skarmory as an attacking move without recoil, which in turn helps to keep Sturdy intact more often, but the damage output is noticeably less than that of Brave Bird. Skarmory can run Tailwind if its team really needs a boost of speed if you're speaking technically (ie. stat wise), change the underlined part to "in Speed". ("Speed boost" would be better imo) However, Skarmory's lack of a pivot move makes Tailwind usually a more attractive option on other Pokemon, such as Tornadus-T (unless regular Torn is viable in CAP, which I don't believe it is) or and Fidgit.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Trappers Magnezone (no more Shadow Tag)**: Magnezone can trap and KO Skarmory, and there's nothing Skarmory can do to stop it if it gets caught without Shed Shell.

**Fire- and Electric-type moves**: Skarmory can somewhat withstand most weaker ("weaker" seems fine) physical Electric- or and Fire-type moves, (AC) and the specially defensive set can do likewise for weaker special moves. However, (AC) strong STAB moves from threats such as Mega Charizard X and Mega Charizard Y (imo the way to go is "both Mega Charizard formes"), Mollux, and Life Orb Krilowatt will do massive damage even with heavy investment in the corresponding defensive stat.

**Faster Taunt Users**: Thundurus, Mandibuzz, and Reflect Tomohawk can all outspeed and Taunt Skarmory before it can use a supporting move.

**Powerful Special Attackers**: Keldeo, Gengar, and even Kyurem-B all offer neutral special attacking coverage on Skarmory and can often KO Skarmory it, especially if Sturdy is already broken has already been used. (It's fine as is imo)

**Hazard Bouncers should this be 'Hazard Bounce users? (even then I don't like this at all; perhaps "Rebound Colossoil and Magic Bounce Users" will do?)**: Most notably, (AC) Magic Bounce Mega Sableye can bounce entry hazards back to Skarmory's side of the field, whereas while Rebound Colossoil can only bounce a single layer but then can potentially spin away others. That said, if the switch is predicted correctly, Skarmory can hit and score some damage on these threats with Brave Bird or Iron Head. Mega Diancie can fairly effectively use Magic Bounce in a pinch versus physically defensive sets. However, specially defensive Skarmory can handle everything from Mega Diancie if at full health.
Thanks for the help Sobi; used most of your stuff, but be sure to look this over.
GP 1/2

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Implemented. Regarding Snobalt's Torn-T comment, I did mean to say Torn (I) since it has prankster, but since Torn-T is fast and has tailwind I decided to include both.

add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Skarmory's great defensive typing with eight resistances and two immunities, an immense Defense stat, and a fantastic utility movepool allow it to differentiate itself from other walls such as Cyclohm and Pyroak. Skarmory is able to naturally withstand potent attackers such as Mega Pinsir, and thanks to Sturdy, it is often able to stop many setup sweepers that other walls would fall victim to. Whirlwind, Defog, Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Taunt are all great support options that showcase Skarmory's role as a team player, and reliable recovery via Roost is able to keep Skarmory in top form throughout a match.

However, while Skarmory has the tools to be a great physically defensive wall, its subpar HP and Special Defense do leave some things to be desired. Common special attackers such as Volkraken, Mollux, Heatran, Cyclohm, and even Stratagem all have the power to force Skarmory out or outright defeat it. Even powerful neutral special attacks from the likes of Keldeo and Gengar can wreak havoc on Skarmory. Magnezone not only threatens Skarmory with its STAB moves, but can also trap it and eliminate it from the match altogether. Fast Taunt users, such as Thundurus and Sableye, can also stop Skarmory from using its great utility moves, rendering it almost useless. However, Skarmory's Steel typing allows it to get past many Fairy-types, even those that are special attackers.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird deals respectable damage to foes weak to it such as Malaconda, Mega Venusuar, and Mega Pinsir. It also has the benefit of making sure Skarmory isn't forced out if crippled by Taunt. Alternatively, Counter works well with Sturdy and allows Skarmory to deal greater damage to hard-hitting physical attackers such as Colossoil, Cawmodore, and Mega Crucibelle. Roost is Skarmory's source of reliable recovery, and fortunately, it can be used against the faster Ground-types such as Colossoil. The last two moveslots are largely dependent on the needs of Skarmory's team. Spikes is the entry hazard with lower distribution, and Skarmory can use it to great effect to slowly chip away at the foe. Stealth Rock, however, is still a very viable option if Skarmory's team lacks a user of this move in order to weaken opposing Flying-, Fire-, Bug-, or Ice-types. Whirlwind is excellent for phazing setup sweepers such as Cawmodore and Gyarados. Defog can clear opposing entry hazards but runs the risk of making Skarmory have to reset its own. Lastly, Taunt is an option that lets Skarmory stop slower support Pokemon such as Chansey and Sylveon.

Set Details
========

252 HP and Defense EVs and an Impish nature maximize Skarmory's physical bulk. However, if Counter is used over Brave Bird, a Bold nature is preferable, since Counter doesn't deal damage based off of Skarmory's Attack stat and the decreased Attack means Skarmory will take less damage from Foul Play and confusion. Sturdy allows Skarmory to survive any attack from full health and respond with the appropriate move. Sturdy is particularly useful when using Counter or Whirlwind against an opposing Pokemon that has set up. For its item, Skarmory can use Rocky Helmet to discourage opposing physical attacks. Leftovers, however, can help keep Skarmory healthy and allows Sturdy to be intact more often.

Usage Tips
========

Skarmary's main roles are to set up entry hazards to support its team and to act as a physical check to attackers such as Colossoil, Mega Pinsir, and Gyarados. It can reliably set up entry hazards against either opposing physical attackers such as Landorus-T and Arghonaut or supporters such as Chansey. Skarmory should be kept at full health if planning to use Counter or Whirlwind against a foe that has set up so that Sturdy will remain intact. However, note that Mega Gyarados can negate Sturdy with Mold Breaker and KO Skarmory if it accumulates enough boosts. Due to it being slower than many offensive Ground-types, Skarmory is often able to use Roost without worry of being hit by Earthquake or Earth Power. If running Defog, Skarmory usually has the longevity to set up its own entry hazards after clearing the field, but the use of Defog should be determined on a case-by-case basis if it removes Skarmory's own hazards.

Team Options
========

Bulky Dragon-types such as Cyclohm and Latias work very well with Skarmory, as they cover its Fire- and Electric-type weaknesses. Specially bulky Pokemon such as Chansey, Heatran, and Clefable can take the special attacks aimed at Skarmory. Even if running Defog, Skarmory usually appreciates a teammate that can use Rapid Spin or otherwise prevent keep opposing entry hazards off the field; this eases the burden for Skarmory to use Defog and potentially clear the hazards that it set earlier. In this regard, Mega Sableye is an apt partner thanks to Magic Bounce and greatly appreciates Skarmory's resistance to Fairy-types. Together, Mega Sableye and Skarmory can prevent and set entry hazards quite well (mm i think this is a bit redundant? you basically say in a more general way the same thing you explained in details two sentences earlier. Maybe you want to expand on how they also deal with common hazard setters/hazard clearners that might be on the opposing team? [assuming this is true]). In general, Skarmory prefers to be used on stall or balanced teams, as it can potentially stop the momentum of teammates if used on offensive builds. However, a few good offensive partners include Mega Charizard X and Mega Altaria, as they can come in against a Fire- or Electric-type move aimed at Skarmory and potentially set up. Skarmory, in turn, can help remove Stealth Rock, (AC) which that would significantly reduce their potential to set up effectively.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Iron Head's main selling point is to deal damage against Fairy-type foes such as Mega Diancie, and it also prevents Skarmory from being shut down by faster Taunt users. Roost allows for instant recovery and gives Skarmory the potential to be used throughout the match. Spikes is generally Skarmory's preferred entry hazard, since Stealth Rock is more common and can be used by a teammate. However, both moves provide entry hazard support and can weaken the opposing team to allow for Skarmory's teammates to sweep more easily. Whirlwind allows Skarmory to phaze threats that have set up and rack up entry hazard damage. Taunt can prevent slower foes from using support moves, allowing Skarmory to stop threats such as Ferrothorn and Trick Room Fidgit. Defog has the risk of blowing away Skarmory's own entry hazards, but it can be useful to rid the foe's entry hazards if they prove to be too much for Skarmory's team to handle.

Set Details
========

252 HP and Special Defense EVs and a Careful nature are used to maximize Skarmory's special bulk and allow it to take on powerful Fairies such as Sylveon and Mega Diancie. Sturdy allows Skarmory to take any hit at full health and still be able to get up at least one layer of entry hazards. Leftovers grants Skarmory passive recovery, which can be useful to keep Sturdy intact.

Usage Tips
========

This set allows Skarmory to serve as a counter or check to the various Fairy-types in the metagame, such as Sylveon, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Diancie. Thanks to its invested Special Defense, Skarmory can survive the 2HKO from Mega Gardevoir's or Mega Diancie's Hidden Power Fire. However, Skarmory still should not be expected to tank powerful Electric- or Fire-type moves. Against less offensive threats, Skarmory can reliably set up entry hazards. If running Whirlwind, Skarmory can be used to phaze setup sweepers, but if the opposing Pokemon has already accumulated multiple boosts, it likely needs to have Sturdy intact in order to survive. Due to it being slower than many offensive Ground-types, Skarmory is often able to use Roost without worry of being hit by Earthquake or Earth Power. Even without much Defense investment, Skarmory can still check some prominent physical attackers such as Colossoil, but it will not appreciate switching into multiple powerful hits.

Team Options
========

Skarmory is a great choice on stall and balanced teams, (AC) since it can reliably set and remove entry hazard moves. Bulky Dragon-types such as Cyclohm and Latias work very well with Skarmory, since they can help take the powerful Electric- or Fire-type attacks that Skarmory struggles to switch into. Physically defensive Cyclohm can provide extra physical insurance for the team as well, which Skarmory appreciates, since it cannot switch into every physical attack with impunity. However, Fairy-types that use Flamethrower or Fire Blast, such as Clefable, can pose a threat to a Cyclohm + Skarmory core. Mega Venusaur can take Electric-type attacks that might be aimed at Skarmory from Krilowatt and Mega Manectric. Together, Mega Venusaur and Skarmory create a solid defensive core, specifically against Fairy-type threats; Skarmory assists Mega Venusaur with its Mega Gardevoir weakness, while Mega Venusaur can ease Skarmory's burden to take heavy hits from Azumarill. Heatran can be a great partner to take special attacks, particularly Fire-type moves, and Chansey can sponge special attacks. Mega Sableye greatly appreciates Skarmory's resistance to Fairy-types, and together, the two can prevent and set entry hazards quite well (So in this case I think it fits because there is no previous mention in this paragraph of Mega Sableye nor of what it does to work well with skarmory). Rapid Spin users such as Colossoil can be helpful as well to aid Skarmory in entry hazard removal without the risk of removing Skarmory's own hazards that might have been set earlier in the match. Offensive partners such as Mega Charizard X and Mega Altaria greatly appreciate Skarmory removing Stealth Rock from the field, and they can take Electric- and Fire-type moves aimed at Skarmory; if played correctly, Skarmory can serve as a lure that lets these offensive partners set up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Custap Berry is useful for an extra turn of action before Skarmory is KOed, and it pairs well with Sturdy; this set is often used best as a lead. Shed Shell can be used to escape Magnezone; however, Rocky Helmet and Leftovers usually offer more utility. Red Card can be used to force out opposing Pokemon and allow Skarmory to set up more entry hazards. Thanks to Sturdy, Skarmory can even use Red Card as a one-(AH)time one-time check to send away opposing setup sweepers even after they have accumulated a hefty amount of boosts. However, Red Card's utility is often covered by Whirlwind instead. Toxic can be effective against slower walls stall Pokemon, but finding a slot for it often means that Skarmory will be susceptible to Taunt. Drill Peck can be used as an attacking move without recoil, which in turn helps to keep Sturdy intact more often, but the damage output is noticeably less than that of Brave Bird. Skarmory can run Tailwind if its team really needs a Speed boost. However, Skarmory's lack of a pivot move makes Tailwind usually a more attractive option on other Pokemon, such as Tornadus, Tornadus-T, and Fidgit.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Magnezone**: Magnezone can trap and KO Skarmory, and there's nothing Skarmory can do to stop it if it gets caught without Shed Shell.

**Fire- and Electric-type moves**: Skarmory can withstand most weaker physical Electric- and Fire-type moves, and the specially defensive set can do likewise for weaker special moves. However, strong STAB moves from threats such as both Mega Charizard formes, Mollux, and Life Orb Krilowatt will do massive damage even with heavy investment in the corresponding defensive stat.

**Faster Taunt Users**: Thundurus, Mandibuzz, and Reflect Tomohawk can all outspeed and Taunt Skarmory before it can use a support move.

**Powerful Special Attackers**: Keldeo, Gengar, and even Kyurem-B all offer neutral special attacking coverage on Skarmory and can often KO it, especially if Sturdy is already broken.

**Rebound Colossoil and Magic Bounce Users**: Most notably, Magic Bounce Mega Sableye can bounce entry hazards back to Skarmory's side of the field, while Rebound Colossoil can only bounce a single layer but can potentially spin away others. That said, if the switch is predicted correctly, Skarmory can hit and score some damage on these threats with Brave Bird or Iron Head. Mega Diancie can fairly effectively use Magic Bounce in a pinch versus physically defensive sets. However, specially defensive Skarmory can handle everything from Mega Diancie if at full health.

2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)