Core Laddering Challenge [BH, Inh, 1v1]

E4 Flint

-inactive in BH due corrupt leader-
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lets start with the next challenge! About two and a half week passed, so it's time to start the new one!
imas234 won Almost Any Ability and E4 Flint won Balanced Hackmons. Please post your teams. No one finished PU this time, so I'll pause the PU challenges. It'll come back after this challenge and might be permanent again if it gets enough activity. Replacing it will be Inheritance, since I've gotten a few requests to include it.

STABmons
+

Tier Shift
+

Inheritance
+

Good luck everyone who wants to participate in this round! The challenge has been going for 3 months now!
May try this out with some unnamed alt yet.

As for what I used

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Extreme Speed

Dialga @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 52 SpA / 108 SpD
Sassy Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Flash Cannon

Chansey (F)
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- King's Shield
- Skill Swap
- Recover

Rayquaza-Mega @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 52 Atk / 204 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- King's Shield
- Spore
- ExtremeSpeed
- Techno Blast

Registeel @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 150 Def / 110 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Nuzzle
- Sacred Fire
- Night Shade

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Bolt Strike

Dialga is a tough mon to use while deoA is not. So Dialga was given the scummiest role of beating shed while the rest is easy offense with a pivot in regi so you dont die to rayquaza.

No defog is hard.

In as CLChopan for Inheritance. Probably this is the only CLC that includes Inheritance, as after this month, I don't know if the ladder still exist or not, because we have to wait until in gets OMoTM again.

Imo, make Inheritance a permanent ladder or riot.

In for all 3 as 5 Minute Teams
my internet dropped for 5 days ;-;

Edit: 5 minute teams, not five minute teams

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Might try Tier Shift later. Sorta entering as IFeelDrowzee cause puns (sorta as idk whether I'll actually commit to this XD).

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways

Gold in inheritance.
BH shit was from the dewgong challenge which lasted all of 5 mins for me.

Started 11-12 because i was fucking around, but when i actually made a -decent- team I won 13 in a row.

got bronze in ts, hopefully i'll be able to edit in silver as well soon n-n

edit- ayy silver

Last edited:
So..well, I had a team. Got to the rank I had in the screenshot. I played a few matches today and lost a bunch in a row. Metagame kinda changed since my last battle. Played a number of battles and got back over 1300.

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond
- Thunder Wave

Okay, so now that you've gone "WHATTHEHELLISTHATTHING!?", lemme explain. A bunch of sets came to mind when I saw this. The first was the standard Mega Launcher set. This thing is too slow to actually use it effectively without a Scarf and with a Scarf, teams just run circles around it. The second set was one inheriting from Darkrai. Dark Miss/Dark Pulse/Spacial Rend/Nasty Plot. Ignoring the fact that it's walled by Fairies, once again it proved too slow. And when it did outspeed the damn move just missed. So I ended up with this set through some insane line of thought. Note that I made this set before Salamence was added and liked it so I didn't change it later on. And..it worked pretty well. NOBODY expected this. WoW takes care of physical attackers. T-Wave is for special attackers and fire types. Knock Off is for Chansey. Destiny Bond is awesome when my opponent thinks he can set up and sweep.

Excadrill (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- ExtremeSpeed

If you're using this set, use an Adamant nature. It was pointed out to me and rightly so, that Excadrill doesn't really outspeed a lot of things with Jolly over Adamant. Plus it OHKOs Latios and Lando-T after rocks with Bullet Punch at +2. Anyway, Adaptability is stronk. That is all. I used to run a Guts set inheriting from Larvitar but this thing never seemed to get burned at all.

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psystrike
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Aura Sphere

This is actually pretty good at breaking a bunch of stuff. Ignoring the fact that it dies to every form of priority in existence, it's pretty cool. And Trace is actually incredibly useful. The set inherits from Mewtwo Y if it wasn't obvious. You could inherit from Mewtwo X if you want Inner Focus, but I prefer Insomnia as I can switch into random Spores. Psystrike is a better Psyshock and takes care of Chansey. Everything else is just coverage. Thunderbolt for hitting Suicune super effectively. Shadow Ball for Cress, Aegislash and Doublade. Aura Sphere for Regirock, Rhypherior and a couple of others. You get the general gist of it.

Lancelot (Terrakion) @ Life Orb
Ability: No Guard
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- DynamicPunch
- Stone Edge

This one is actually fairly common but I really like it. Dynamic Punch is a high power STAB Chatter. Stone Edge doesn't miss anymore and is STAB. Knock Off is Knock Off and Bullet Punch is Machamp's only priority.

MOON MOON (Cresselia) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Leech Seed
- Seismic Toss
- Protect

People who have faced me on the ladder know the terror that is MOON MOON(Now known as Euphemia). This thing. It basically stops half the meta and annoys the other half to death. Like it's so great defensively that you need like an Adamant Banded Adaptability Knock Off from Tyranitar(134 Atk stat) to actually OHKO it. Plus it's pretty good with Sp. Def too. It can survive a Shadow Ball from Sheer Force LO Gengar. I could go on, but just read this.

FLUFFY (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Synchronize
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Transform
- Heal Bell
- Defog
- Roost

Transform Chansey is amazing. It switched into pretty much and special sweeper, transforms and sweeps. IVs are for HP Ice. The other three moves are obvious.

The Team:

Dugtrio (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Shadow Claw

Pyroar (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Hyper Voice

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Poison Jab
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hurricane
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Knock Off

How to play with it?
The basic premise is to trap rock/steel types and get rid of them, stop them from walling the other sweepers or setting up hazards a second time. Basically it's like this, you either trap the hazard lead (when it's obvious) or get dugtrio in by luring them with pidgeot or talon (also helpful vs specs jolteon which kinda gives this team trouble), kill them, defog away hazards with pidgeot if they set those up then continue to setup with one of the various setup sweepers in your arsenal and sweep.

I initially had a fwg core with seismitioad, shiftry and pyroar since i couldn't think of what team to make. And it lost the two matches in the pic there, so i threw it out and built a new one. I've never actually used dug before so i didn't really know what to do with it at first, but then it occured to me, it can trap and kill rock/steel types and lets the mons it walled to sweep. Secondly, since most rock/steel types are hazard setters it could ensure that the enemy doesn't get to set hazards up a second time. So with that basic premise in mind i started adding things. First thing i added was pyroar because it was the clc partner. Then came talon because rock/steel types are what mainly give it trouble, and with them gone talon has a chance to sweep in most games. After that i thought since i'm running the face of birdspam, why not actually make bird spam? In comes mega pidgeot with it's great spammable move off a nice special attack and blazing speed.
Since pidgeot's only role is to spam hurricane i also made it my defogger n_n . I think i added toxicroak after remembring seeing it in either an uu match or subconsciously remembering manu saying how it countered alomomola, but i like to think that i added it because I thought of how it's a good offensive check to both kabutops and ludicolo (only hits with ice beam, but it does quite a bit :[). It had gunk miss before, but i removed it after it missed at some really important moments in the matches putting me in a lot of pressure. Lastly i added scizor because it's a great sweeper with SD, i've always loved using it. It's also good in this team as it has dugtrio to remove all those rude steel types that wall it otherwise. It basically also served as a check any random belly drum slurpuffs/wp golems both of which i have been swept by with previous teams.

edit- oh also, if you think there's any reason behind running those random speed evs, there isn't. I sometimes mess with evs until they hit a number that looks nice. I'm not even lying here.

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The next cores are in! Good luck everyone who wants to participate in this round.

PU 1200 / 1300 / 1400 / 1500
and

Balanced Hackmons 1225 / 1350 / 1475 / 1600
and

Almost Any Ability 1100 / 1250 / 1400 / 1550
and

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)