Core Laddering Challenge [BH, Inh, 1v1]

Gold, at exactly 1500 right now thanks to highlighter getting miss haxed against me. can't seem to find a battle atm to beat Sanctuary in the challenge...just one more battle :)
Edit: Will Add Screenshot Later

out of curiosity, is the winner the one with they highest peak, or the current ladder as of the end of the challenge? because Sanctuary's alt has fallen below my ladder now.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The challenge is over! Grats to Sanctuary [BH], omnisc [AAA] and rubsomebacononit [PU], could you post your teams!

I decided to add Inverse this month since the PU one isn't active enough anymore. Inheritance doesn't have a ladder anymore and I don't think 2v2 would make a great laddering challenge.

STABmons [1100, 1200, 1300, 1400]
and

Tier Shift [1100, 1200, 1300, 1400]
and

Inverse Battle [1100, 1200, 1300, 1400]
and

Good luck everyone~ Hopefully this will give some activity on the Inverse ladder!

Last edited:
In as CLC No Effort for STABmons,Inverse
Time to also do TS while also laddering in the OML Challenge
and snaq,considering this thread is still pretty obscure,not sure if it'll yield in a lot of activity. worth a try tho.
edit: damn,corruptedflame literally posted 1 second before i did (i got the alert as i posted)

tysequaine

80% sexy, 20% disgusting
A few of you have probably seen parts of this team before. Truth be told, this team is very similar to one I've been using for a while now, with the difference being in the attacking Pokémon. I usually use a Tinted Lens scarf-don as my primary attacker, and its ungodly physical power paired with tinted lens means that oftentimes it's the only attacking Pokémon I need, but I was excited to see what a similar White Kyurem could do, and I was very impressed with the results, even though it doesn't pack quite as much punch as Primal Groudon. I instead made Primal Groudon the Mold Breaker, which is still a very respectable set, ignoring common abilities that are brought in against it such as Fur Coat and Flash Fire. This team punishes dry switching as little as possible, so don't be afraid of using your walls. The idea is to keep Kyurem and Shedinja alive at all costs. Let's get into it.

Our Valiant Warriors

Kyurem-White @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Refrigerate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Seed Flare
- Fusion Flare
- Boomburst
- Volt Switch

White Kyurem tears massive chunks out of the opponent's team if they don't play carefully. With an effective 433(.5) speed stat, this beast outspeeds any non-scarfed opponents that have a speed stat of 145 or lower, but if you come up against frail attackers such as Mega Sceptile, be sure to chip away their health before you hit Boomburst, as they often run sashes. Due to the nature of the team, you don't want to let this thing faint, as it is a severe blow to how effective the team is, forcing you to attempt to out-stall your opponent. Fusion Flare is a recent replacement of Draco Meteor, as Boomburst kills pretty much everything Draco Meteor would be super-effective on anyway. That said, I'm not sure how much of a fan I am of Fusion Flare, since a steel-resistant move in its place means that Registeel walls an impostered version of this set very well, and without it you would be relying on Shedinja to wall it, which puts you in a predicament if there are rocks on your side (or if they get lucky with the burn chance). Consider using Overheat to increase the walling power of Registeel if you switch it in, or returning to a steel-resistant move such as Draco Meteor.

Play it safe. If you aren't 100% sure that you can hit faster or OHKO them, switch into a relevant wall, either by using Volt Switch or simply dry switching. Keeping this Pokémon alive is as essential as keeping Shedinja alive.

Primal Groudon
Offensive
252+ SpA Refrigerate Kyurem-W Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 436-514 (127.8 - 150.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defensive
252+ SpA Refrigerate Kyurem-W Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Primal Groudon: 307-363 (75.9 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mega Gengar
Offensive
252+ SpA Refrigerate Kyurem-W Boomburst vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gengar: 417-492 (159.1 - 187.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Defensive
252+ SpA Refrigerate Kyurem-W Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Gengar: 297-351 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Mega Mewtwo X
Offensive
252+ SpA Refrigerate Kyurem-W Boomburst vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mewtwo X: 399-471 (112.7 - 133%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Defensive
252+ SpA Refrigerate Kyurem-W Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Mewtwo X: 288-339 (69.2 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mega Mewtwo Y
Offensive
252+ SpA Refrigerate Kyurem-W Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mewtwo Y: 340-402 (96.3 - 113.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Offensive Protean w/ King's Shield
252+ SpA Kyurem-W Fusion Flare vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mewtwo Y (Steel Type): 250-296 (70.8 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Defensive
252+ SpA Refrigerate Kyurem-W Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Mewtwo Y: 255-300 (61.2 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Primal Kyogre
Specially Defensive PH
252+ SpA Kyurem-W Seed Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Primal Kyogre: 180-214 (44.5 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal

Physically Defensive PH
252+ SpA Kyurem-W Seed Flare vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Primal Kyogre: 234-276 (57.9 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

Regirock
Specially Defensive AV
252+ SpA Refrigerate Kyurem-W Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Regirock: 192-226 (52.7 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Registeel
Specially Defensive
252+ SpA Refrigerate Kyurem-W Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 108-127 (29.7 - 34.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Kyurem-W Fusion Flare vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 158-188 (43.5 - 51.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Giratina
Defensive
252+ SpA Refrigerate Kyurem-W Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Giratina: 510-600 (101.1 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Groudon-Primal @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Thousand Arrows
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock

A standard Primal Groudon set, this is probably the weakest link in the chain at the moment, so to speak. Its primary role is killing Shedinja, as well as any Imposters that dare transform into your own Shedinja on the switch, thanks to its level and stats, it OHKOs them all (unless they have a sash, but lets be realistic). Mold Breaker also allows Primal Groudon to ignore abilities such as Fur Coat and Flash Fire, which are usually brought in to wall the continental beast. The scarf also gives it an effective speed stat of 418(.5), which, like White Kyurem, is able to outspeed many top-tier non-priority threats. It threatens things such as Mega Diancie and opposing Registeel, but isn't able to OHKO Primal Kyogre, which is why chipping away your opponent's team is essential before trying to sweep with this or White Kyurem. Stealth Rock can allow Registeel to come in and chip away the opponent's team using Whirlwind to shuffle them around, but beware of Imposters that steal this Groudon Set, as the only Pokémon on this team that is able to effectively wall it is Mega Slowbro, which means that you'll be removing hazards from both sides if the Imposter decides to lay rocks, as well as doing a lot of dry switching and U-turning to keep Mega Slowbro's health up.

Consider shifting the set more towards defense than offense, to increase survivability while still being able to destroy Shedinja and Impostered Shedinja with Pursuit. Honestly, any Mold Breaker will work here though, it depends on what you need to be able to kill.

All instances of Earthquake have been adjusted as a 90BP move to replicate Thousand Arrows

Mega Diancie

Offensive
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 380-450 (157.6 - 186.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defensive
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Diancie: 278-330 (91.4 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Mega Gengar
Offensive
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 498-588 (190.8 - 225.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defensive
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Gengar: 344-408 (106.1 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Mega Mewtwo X
Offensive
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Primal Groudon V-create vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Mewtwo X: 412-486 (116.7 - 137.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defensive
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Primal Groudon V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Mewtwo X: 297-351 (71.3 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mega Mewtwo Y
Offensive
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Primal Groudon V-create vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Mewtwo Y: 552-651 (156.3 - 184.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Offensive Protean w/ King's Shield
-2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Primal Groudon V-create vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Mewtwo Y: 554-654 (156.9 - 185.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Mewtwo Y: 554-654 (156.9 - 185.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defensive
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Primal Groudon V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Mewtwo Y: 372-438 (89.4 - 105.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Mewtwo Y: 186-220 (44.7 - 52.8%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO

Registeel
Defensive
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Primal Groudon V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Registeel: 488-576 (134 - 158.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Regirock
Physically Defensive
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Regirock: 198-234 (54.3 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Specially Defensive
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 224-266 (61.5 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mega Slowbro
Defensive
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 97-115 (24.6 - 29.1%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO

Giratina
Physically Defensive
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 132-156 (26.1 - 30.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Specially Defensive
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Giratina: 160-190 (31.7 - 37.6%) -- 91.8% chance to 3HKO

Our Steadfast Defenders

Slowbro-Mega @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Aromatherapy
- Defog
- Metal Burst
- U-turn

Mega Slowbro makes up one half of the Regenerator core within this team. It can tank virtually any unboosted attack, as well as a few boosted ones, provided they aren't super effective. Mega Slowbro acts as your team's primary cleric, providing Aromatherapy when status is inflicted throughout the team (particularly on Shedinja) and using Defog to work with Regirock in keeping hazards away, so that Shedinja can come in safely. The Rocky Helmet is there to punish contact attackers and opposing Shedinja that use Endeavour. Switching out straight after causing the opponent's Shedinja to die also means that your HP will be back up to ~33% the next time you come in. There's not much more to say about it, U-turn is there to preserve momentum and scout, on top of keeping Mega Slowbro's health up. Metal Burst is also there as a good way to deal with attackers that White Kyurem and Primal Groudon would struggle with, provided Mega Slowbro's health and defenses are capable of taking a hit (aside from special attackers, they usually are). I'm not going to bother with damage calculations from hereon out, just know that Mega Slowbro is the physical regenerator, so be wary of mixed and special attackers, as well as boosted super-effective moves such as Knock Off and Bolt Strike. If you see a Pokémon on the opponent's side with Knock Off and a boosting move, try and get the Rocky Helmet knocked off ASAP, to lessen the blow and hopefully line you up for a Metal Burst.

Regirock @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Sacred Fire
- Nuzzle
- U-turn

Regirock is the specially-oriented side of the Regenerator core, thanks to the Assault Vest item. It has a variety of uses, Rapid Spin is there as a less reliable but more rewarding hazard remover to keep your Shedinja alive, and it's extremely helpful to have hazard removal on both the physical wall and the special wall, but watch out for Mega Gengar. Sacred Fire burns things, crippling most priority attackers and giving you an opportunity to stall an opponent's Pokémon down to OHKO territory for White Kyurem or Primal Groudon, or simply out-stall the opponent or waste their Heal Bell / Aromatherapy PP. Nuzzle keeps Shell Smash sweepers in check, ensuring that they don't outspeed you with non-priority attacks, even at +6 speed (unless they have 150 speed or higher). It also provides a helpful 25% chance for the opponent to not be able to attack, which might just give you the opportunity you need to turn the tide of a match. U-turn off of Regirock's high attack stat can deal some important damage, while keeping Regirock's health up. U-turn from any of the walls on this team will either OHKO or 2HKO Unbound Hoopa as well, and take a decent chunk out of Psychic sweepers such as Mega Mewtwo Y, which is always nice.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Infestation
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- U-turn

Registeel is on a similar page with Primal Groudon, it puts work in, but could probably be a lot better. Its main use is using Magic Bounce to bounce back non-Mold Breaker status moves, but it also does well at phazing many setup sweepers, and shuffling the opponent's team with Whirlwind, either shifting the momentum of the match or causing a bit of Stealth Rock damage on the opponents team, potentially breaking sashes. Typically I use it as an anti-lead, using Infestation to keep Pokémon such as Speed Deoxys in as long as possible, or simply as a less reliable switcher. Roost, the only recovery move on my team goes here, as Registeel doesn't have Regenerator to keep it healthy. U-turn is simply to preserve momentum, and in case of trapping moves that are used against it. Consider swapping Infestation for Defog or Heal Bell / Aromatherapy, as further measures to keep your team healthy and hazard-free. Leftovers is to provide some passive recovery, which can be helpful when you're spamming switches to restore your Regenerator core's HP.

Shedinja @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 1
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 Atk / 0 SpA / 0 SpD / 0 Spe
- Baton Pass
- Pain Split
- Whirlpool
- Endeavor

Baton Pass is bolded and increased in size because it is the only move you should be using, at least early in the battle. Once you've scouted the opponent's team enough and seen what instantly switches out against Shedinja, then you can be a bit more liberal with your attacks, but don't just send it in and try to Endeavour the foe to death, because you will die and the team will fall apart even more instantaneously than Robb Stark's campaign against the Lannisters. It is also the most reliable soft switching move; it passes things such as partial trapping and Leech Seed, but the Regenerator core is there to deal with those things, so don't stress about it. U-turn is a contact move, and thus opens you up to a Spiky Shield / Rocky Helmet weakness. Volt Switch is an Electric move, meaning that if your opponent knows you use it and they have a Mold Breaker Primal Groudon of their own, they can dry switch into you and take you out with Pursuit. Parting Shot is affected by Magic Bounce, meaning that they get a free switch while you have to stay in, allowing them to send out their Mold Breaker. Safety Goggles keeps you safe from Spore and weather conditions such as Hail and Sandstorm, which, while uncommon, are still used, and even have their own benefits beyond killing Shedinja. Being Lv.1 ensures that you are slower than everything but opposing Lv.1 Shedinja, and makes any Imposter ludicrously easy to kill if they are brave enough to switch into this Shedinja while it's Baton Passing out. Pursuit from the Mold Breaker Primal Groudon on this team will OHKO any non-sashed Imposter of this Shedinja, meaning your team doesn't have imposter to worry about anymore, and will allow you to either set up Stealth Rock with Primal Groudon and phaze with Registeel, or simply start picking off their other Pokémon one by one with White Kyurem and Primal Groudon.

I tried to be as comprehensive as I could (even though I got lazy with damage calculations), let me know if I missed anything vital.

rubsomebacononit

I was cringe and annoying when I was on smogon RIP
is a Contributor Alumnus
Dodrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Taunt

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Volt Switch

Armaldo @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

The core was Piloswine + Dodrio. Piloswine is good at setting up rocks and Dodrio is a fast attack with lots of POWER! Although they cover each other's weaknesses, I found that they had trouble dealing with bulky waters. So I chose Poliwrath for Water Absorb. I needed a spinblocker to keep the rocks on the field, so I chose Misdreavus. Misdreavus can Taunt any Pokemon wishing to get up rocks or spikes or any status move and can cripple the opponent with Will-O-Wisp. Then, I wanted a Pokemon that covers Poliwrath's Electric and Grass weaknesses, so I chose Zebstrika. The final member of the team, Armaldo, was chosen because of Rapid Spin and Knock Off Support. That's it guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)