Core Laddering Challenge [BH, Inh, 1v1]

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In as Abnormalspam for PU. Also, since I apparently won last core should I post my team?
Yeah please. Didn't count this time since I should update the Archive first. Will probably change from updating everyone to just the winners and their teams in case they posted.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
entering as #BanGWpl0x for...okay i think you can figure that out pretty easily with the name.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Ah sorry Snaquaza didn't know I had to post the team since I didn't get any notification
o well i'll just post it there again since I already mentioned it in sample teams

This is a team I built for the Core Laddering Challenge over the core Jumpluff-Armaldo that was assigned and brought me to the first spot on the ladder with another alt some time ago with a record of like 32-1 when Tauros and Kecleon were still legit so yeah it should perform same or even better since the Tier trends didn't really develop in a significant different way after the Suspects.

I felt like Jumpluff and Armaldo could have fit really well into an Offense and I didn't really build a pure Offense yet so I thought building one when I had the chance. Since this was the period when Buried Treasure around Zweilous and two other pokemon I don't remember was out I also caught the occasion to try it out so I figured to put it in the team just to see how it performed since the strategy really needed a strong Wallbreaker to open the enemy team like butter. Of course butter needed a solid base too so I put Poliwrath for reasons also stated in this post which I suggest all of you reading: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...quicksuspect-vote.3528897/page-3#post-6089220
I figured out the team was really walled by Physical Tanks so I decided to add Regice, which also worked well as a Special Tank with my surprise even if It carried an offensive set. As a last slot I put Mr. Mime since I needed a revengekiller and the team lacked a recovery and was not really durable against Entry Hazards so Healing Wish made up for it.

Armaldo @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Zweilous @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Crunch
- Head Smash
- Sleep Talk

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Acrobatics

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Circle Throw
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Regice @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast

also in for PU as dogebear

in for aaa as clc imas234 since i like the new core. the ladder's really slow, so i've only had 2 battles so far. i just wanted to know if we need to save every match's replay or not.

oh i also wanted to know if:
"Make sure to post it if you achieved any rank in the Hall of Fame! Also please post a screenshot."
means that i should post a screenshot of every time i reach a benchmark elo or not.

assuming that it does:

Last edited:
in as Deolg-A for BH, but tbh,snaq,your suggested BH cores usually aren't too viable.
and in case anyone's wondering why i'm sorta afk from PS,the local library blocked PS so i have to use a proxy

since snaq liked,i suppose the team then?

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Level: 2
EVs: 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: null Atk / null SpA
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Endeavor
- Spiky Shield

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: null SpA
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Substitute
- Roost

Diggersbae (Diggersby) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Head Charge
- Extreme Speed
- Precipice Blades
- Shell Smash

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Boomburst
- Psystrike
- Shell Smash

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Bolt Strike

Magmortar @ Life Orb
Ability: Vital Spirit
Timid Nature
- Blue Flare
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

So I start my teambuilding with a Whimsicott wondering, How the __ am I supposed to use Whimsicott in STABmons?
Completely out of ideas,I use a set that I found once which was extremely trolly: prankseed+endeavor protect/sub lv2.
As an added bonus of it being STABmons,I got to get spiky shield,an excellent way to finish off endeavor'd diggersbys thinking they'd at least get a kill.
It became my lead,my extremely trolly lead. It starts with seed,then sub+protect stall and endeavor when safe. Since heatrans are annoying to scizor mega,Whimsicott would lead with endeavoring those pesky things. However, there was sableye...

This thing's already a renowned monster in the STABmons metagame. With Shift Gear+Technician boosted Gear Grind,it can sweep through pretty much anything not named Heatran or Will-o-Wisp. Therefore, I decided to test a substitute set. This left my move slots pretty low, and since Scizor-mega is decently bulky, I decided to give it roost for more substitutes, longevity, and diggersby walling. After a single shift gear behind a sub,any non-heatran opponent would pretty much die. It became an excellent late-game sweeper. I needed something to put pressure in early game. Also, if the sub was down then Sableye with will-o-wisp would troll...

Do I really need to explain? Diggersby can pretty much break through any non-NVE tank. However, the feared Quagsire always stood in the way...which is why head charge exists, doing a nice 70% to Mr. Derp. Espeed to slaughter unprepared opponents, and precipice blades to hit annoying little ferrothorns. Shell smash boosts its attack and lures in quagsires. Diggersby kept the offensive pressure high in early game. Then again,there was sableye with will-o-wisp...

An excellent setup sweeper, sub+smash meloetta was the perfect choice for a mostly physical HO team.Its gained Boomburst would wreck havok into many unprepared teams, and could also break through chanseys with Psystrike. It helped force out the physical tanks or sweepers after a shell smash. Substitute would allow it to safely hit diggersbys inb4 bonemerang diggersby. Meloetta's major weakness was Sableye,however...the second (edit: fourth) poke in the team that would fall to sableye.

I needed a Sableye counter.badly.Recalling a fight once with some other OMer (I forgot who*), I used Vital Spirit Magmortar, which would be immune to Dark Void and Will-o-wisp. It would usually force a parting shot out of sableye, which defiant pokes would eat up. Taunt was used for stallbreaking, and will-o-wisp helped weaken enemy sweepers.
*Eevee edit: Official Fissure. **
**omnisc edit: yeah,i was fairly certain,but i wouldnt want the creator to feel annoyed if i got it wrong

To benefit the most out of forcing Sableyes using parting shot after switching Magmortar in, I added Thundurus, a fast Defiant sweeper. After getting a free +3 from Sableye's parting shot, Bolt Strike and Dragon Ascent would break through even the most determined tanks. Superpower and Knock off were used in case of needing coverage (ex,other electric types,rotom,rhyperior,etc). Several of my wins were from the opponent forfeiting upon seeing it at +3 and OHKO'ing one of their pokes.

I realize the descriptions are pretty bad,I don't really do RMTs. And,personally,I dont think this team's too good either. I literally spent 5 minutes making the team. With more thought, it probably could go a lot farther.

Last edited:
Reactions: EV

E4 Flint

-inactive in BH due corrupt leader-
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dont have much time this time, but I scraped bronze

E: Gold I think

Last edited:
could i ladder with a new alt? because i've already begun, and i swear i've been using a CLC team with it
its name is "bad ladder" and undefeated as of this post

only silver so far,was about to get gold but literally every one of my losses have been like this:
kingscrubber haxes me--
v-create miss, 2x draco meteor miss.
i should start playing skillmons...
you can also see the current ladder after that replay

EDIT: update: i have lost 8 consecutive games due to draco meteor missing now.i am done

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lets start with the next challenge! About two and a half week passed, so it's time to start the new one!
imas234 won Almost Any Ability and E4 Flint won Balanced Hackmons. Please post your teams. No one finished PU this time, so I'll pause the PU challenges. It'll come back after this challenge and might be permanent again if it gets enough activity. Replacing it will be Inheritance, since I've gotten a few requests to include it.

STABmons
+

Tier Shift
+

Inheritance
/
+

Good luck everyone who wants to participate in this round! The challenge has been going for 3 months now!

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
Umm how many points must I achieve for the Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum ranks in Inh?
Good catch. 1100 = Bronze, 1200 = Silver, 1300 = Gold, 1400 = Platinum. Good luck!
I completely forgot that Inheritance still needed them. Would you guys want to me to put the points needed at each new challenge?

The Team:

Genesect @ Choice Band
Ability: Tough Claws
Hasty Nature
- Extreme Speed
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor

Infernape @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Overheat
- Flare Blitz

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam
- Tail Glow
- Scald

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- ExtremeSpeed
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Double-Edge

Zapdos @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpA
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Discharge
- Volt Switch
- Roost

No real teambuilding process here. I just started with infernape and raptor, gave staraptor gale wings because it's what it does best and initially had expert belt magnetpull nape but changed it later when i realized my team was lacking fire power. Also ape wasn't being too good of a magnetpuller (basically most things were not getting ohko'd). Since this team was made with the ladder in mind mainly, i put safety goggles on nape which would let it deal with the prankster loom spam the ladder usually has (but i don't think i ran into any this time >.>). Next member i put in was unaware manaphy which would switch in on cune and set up, then possibly threaten a sweep. I put in Zygarde, which was a mon I've been wanting to use for a while now. I put magic bounce in as the ability because zygarde is a good setup sweeper here and with it's new found ability making it unphaseable it can just setup on and rip through a lot of teams. Also, i just wanted to use something outside of the usual ph/refrigerate. Genesect is just a hard hitter that I really have gotten to love. It still catches people by surprise with strong physical STAB, deals massive damage, even to resists, with uturn and cleans weakened things with band extremespeed. Lastly, I decided to stray from my usual regen magneton as my skarm counter and decided to run zapdos instead as it deals with other gale wings more easily. I chose magic guard because i liked the idea of getting in to defog without taking any sr damage. I initially had LO or something, but i changed it to sash so that if i ran into any sun teams in the ladder i could lure in a heatran and weaken it's eruption/maybe even get some parahax :].

Last edited:

MAMP

MAMP!
Good catch. 1100 = Bronze, 1200 = Silver, 1300 = Gold, 1400 = Platinum. Good luck!
I completely forgot that Inheritance still needed them. Would you guys want to me to put the points needed at each new challenge?
Yeah, this would be good. It's a real hassle going back to find them each time you forget

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)