move 3: Aqua Jet
move 4: Superpower
ability: Adaptability
item: Eviolite
evs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

• Crabhammer is a strong stab to weaken walls and bulkier pokemon after they have been hit by knock off
  • Knock Off hits walls for your teammates to give them an easier time late game when they have to clean up
  • Aqua Jet hits weakened faster pokemon, like Misdreavus, scraggy, Dwebble, etc
  • Superpower hits stuff like Lileep and Porygon hard after knock off
  • Dragon Dance and Swords Dance are options over Superpower if you aren't concerned about what Superpower hits. Dragon Dance can allow it to sweep with Crabhammer and Swords Dance allows it to sweep with Aqua Jet.

Set Details
========
  • basically evs are standard for an offensive set. even though corphish is so slow it can outspeed a few walls with 13 speed
  • Eviolite is for some extra bulk since it doesn't really need that much extra power and the bulk is handy when your slower than most offensive threats
  • If you run Dragon Dance, the nature should be Jolly to hit 21 Speed at +1

Usage Tips
========
  • basically hit switch ins with knock off and hit them with Crabhammer or superpower afterwards or just switch out if they threaten you
  • try to reserve this guy against stall and balance since it can really help you weaken stuff

Team Options
========
  • this thing can wallbreak for other water type sweepers, so tirtouga and carvanha are great mons to use alongside corphish
  • this thing has no recovery and is hit by all hazards, so hazard removal is appreciated. archen can hit croagunk and Chinchou with EQ and can beat grass types with acrobatics but shares an electric weakness. drilbur can also remove hazards and can beat croagunk and Chinchou with it's stab, but it shares a grass weakness
  • wish support is nice on balanced teams for recovery, so spritzee and lickitung deserve mentions

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Aqua Jet
move 2: Crabhammer
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Switcheroo
ability: Adaptability
item: Choice Band
evs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • Aqua Jet is the main move on the set, as it boasts great revenge killing and cleaning power when backed by Adaptability and Choice Band.
  • Crabhammer is a very spammable STAB move, and can weaken walls to pave way for a teammate to sweep.
  • Knock Off is another spammable move, and functions in a very similar manner to Crabhammer, except with the side effect of removing items.
  • Switcheroo is used to cripple other walls, including Spritzee, Cottonee, Foongus, etc.

Set Details
========
  • The given EVs maximize Attack and bolster Corphish's speed so it can outspeed more walls. The leftover EVs are thrown into Defense.
  • Adaptability is a very obvious ability choice, as it powers up Corphish's STAB moves to obscene levels.
  • Choice Band is chosen to give it even more power, and it gives Corphish the ability to cripple walls and special attackers.
Usage Tips
========
  • Early to mid-game, Corphish should be spamming Crabhammer and Knock Off to weaken switch-ins. Aqua Jet is used for revenge killing and for cleaning late-game.
  • If Corphish finds itself in on a faster Pokemon, it is best to switch out given its frailty. This also makes slow Volt Switch and U-turn users very important.
  • Switcheroo is best used on a predicted switch-in late mid-game if Corphish is unlikely to clean with Aqua Jet.
Team Options
========
  • Tirtouga is the number one partner to Corphish, given that Corphish can weaken or remove almost all of Tirtouga's checks.
  • Mienfoo and Magnemite are options for VoltTurn partners

Other Options
########
  • swords dance and dragon dance could be used but there are far better sweepers in the meta such as scraggy and fletchling that don't justify it's use
  • hone claws is an option, but again there are far better sweepers in the meta
  • substitute is an option since corphish can force switches

Checks & Counters
########

**Water-Resistant Walls and Tanks**: Croagunk, Foongus, Cottonee, Chinchou, etc. Croagunk is immune to Corphish's stab and resists all other attacks. Foongus and Cottonee resist Corphish's STAB and Superpower (Cottonee also resists Knock Off); and can retaliate with super effective stab or status. Chinchou resists it's STAB and can easily outspeed and retaliate with a super-effective STAB attack. Lileep can also wall it's stab but falls prey to knock off + superpower if your not careful

**Faster Offensive Threats**: Corphish's biggest weakness is it's low speed and lack of reliable recovery, so naturally strong or bulky offensive threats can check Corphish with a little prior damage. It does hit really hard so this can be tough. Stuff that can work include Magnemite (can't switch in directly), Mienfoo (takes a lot of damage if it's Knocked Off), Abra and Gastly (can't switch in directly)

Last edited:

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Considering how Superpower and Crabhammer are both 2HKOs on Porygon, wouldn't that render Superpower a bit unnecessary under most circumstances, since it's only hitting one fairly uncommon Pokemon in Lileep? I feel as if a boosting move in Dragon Dance or Swords Dance would be a decent option instead for a possible attempted sweep.
Also, Corphish needs to be Adamant to 2HKO 236/196 Porygon with either Superpower or Crabhammer more often than not, although they both usually 2HKO after Stealth Rock.

Also, how would a bulkier set work out? 22/14 can usually survive a +2 Stone Edge from Adamant Tirtouga or +1 High Jump Kick from Adamant Scraggy 93.8% of the time before crits and misses as long as Corphish is healthy. Stealth Rock changes this to 43.8% though and Corphish has to be really healthy so I'm not really sure

i considered a bulky set, but i havent tried it out yet. i also discussed with a few qc members prior to writing this up, and they felt that sd and dd were underwhelming compared to a four attacks set. ill give it a shot sometime and discuss it with other qc members and it might get a spot on the analysis.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For checks and counters, mention Croagunk as a big one. Afaik, Corphish can do absolutely nothing to it, while it gets slammed by Sludge Bombs.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
For OO, mention Aerial Ace / Dig to counter Croagunk. Body Slam is okay for paralyzing stuff, should go in OO as well.

I'm not fully convinced that SD and DD aren't viable. Forgoing Superpower to run SD or DD allows Crawdaunt to attempt a sweep in return for hitting a single Pokemon: Lileep. Swords Dance sets, as I said, must forgo Superpower. But Dragon Dance sets can forgo Aqua Jet instead, since you'll be boosting your Speed at the same time, achieving perfect coverage besides Croagunk in three moves. Honestly, I would rather boost my stats and sweep than have a coverage and be restricted to wallbreaking.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mention Substitute as an option. Many Pokemon threaten it, but can't live things such as Knock Off / Waterfall. Maybe mention Hone Claws in OO as well.

Other than that I would elaborate more on what does what, specifically you mention "stuff" and "things" more times than i could count lol. Elaborating on it more makes your job easier later when you write this up.

QC 1/3

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I wouldn't be opposed to putting Swords Dance or Dragon Dance into the main set as TheManlyLadybug has suggested, but I don't think they need their own sets.

Otherwise do TCR's stuff and QC 2/3

where's the choice scarf / choice band set? corphish gets switcheroo which is a big deal. i would really like to see that in OO at least since those are super cool options for it. i haven't actually tested them myself but choice band in particular seems pretty awesome, with adaptability aqua jet.

mention aerial ace in at least OO. with it you pretty much beat gunk 1v1, and also ensures that foongus can't really switch into it after being knocked off because crabhammer + aerial ace will almost always kill it if sr is up. doesn't really do much besides that but corphish's last slot is basically filler anyway; personally i find it as useful as superpower

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
after playing with corphish a bit more i think swords dance deserves a slash alongside superpower, man at +2 this thing is so fucking powerful wow it scares me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)