Correlation Analysis of Pokemon Usages

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here is a further statistic that I like to crank out from time to time. This time it regards looking for correlation in Pokemon usages.

What is correlation, though? Two Pokemon's usages are said to correlate if the usage increase or decrease of one of them affects the usage increase or decrease of the other. There are two types of correlation: direct correlation and inverse correlation.

Two Pokemon's usages are said to exhibit direct correlation if, when the usage of the first Pokemon increases, the usage of the second one increases as well by roughly the same margin, and vice-versa. Two Pokemon's usages are said to exhibit inverse correlation if, when the usage of the first Pokemon increases, the usage of the second one decreases by roughly the same margin, and vice-versa.

In statistics, there is an important measure of correlation called Pearson's product-moment correlation coefficient. I didn't use this method of correlation, however; I used a simpler method. What I did was simply to find the difference of (i.e. subtract) the increase or decrease of a Pokemon's usage in the last 6 months from the increase or decrease in usage of the other Pokemon. If this subtraction is quite small, the Pokemon would exhibit usage correlation.

I analysed the top 100 Pokemon used in the Standard metagame and the top 50 Pokemon used in the Uber metagame. The reason why the UU metagame was not accounted for is that we don't have enough statistics for its metagame yet to formulate a good correlation analysis out of it.

Here are the results.

Standard Metagame Correlation:
Code:
Abomasnow
Direct: Froslass, Moltres
Inverse: Rotom-H

Absol:
Direct: None
Inverse: None

Aerodactyl:
Inverse: Crobat, Forretress, Skarmory

Alakazam
Direct: Mismagius
Inverse: Umbreon

Ambipom

Arcanine
Direct: Honchkrow, Registeel, Sceptile
Inverse: Dugtrio, Gardevoir, Magmortar

Azelf
Direct: Weavile

Azumarill
Direct: Blastoise

Blastoise
Direct: Azumarill, Porygon2

Blaziken
Direct: Rampardos

Blissey

Breloom

Bronzong
Direct: Heatran, Suicune

Cacturne
Direct: Froslass
Inverse: Crobat

Celebi:

Charizard

Claydol

Clefable
Direct: Walrein

Cresselia

Crobat
Inverse: Aerodactyl, Cacturne, Electrode, Kabutops

Donphan

Dragonite

Dugtrio
Direct: Magmortar
Inverse: Arcanine, Staraptor

Dusknoir

Electivire:

Electrode
Direct: Kabutops

Empoleon
Direct: Jolteon
Inverse: Rhyperior, Rotom-W

Espeon

Flygon

Forretress
Direct: Skarmory
Inverse: Aerodactyl

Froslass
Direct: Abomasnow, Cacturne

Gallade

Gardevoir
Direct: Magmortar
Inverse: Arcanine

Gengar
Direct: Skarmory

Glaceon

Gliscor
Direct: Ninjask

Gyarados
Direct: Starmie

Heatran
Direct: Bronzong
Inverse: Infernape

Heracross

Hippowdon

Hitmontop

Honchkrow
Direct: Arcanine, Registeel, Sceptile, Typhlosion

Houndoom

Infernape
Inverse: Heatran

Jirachi

Jolteon
Direct: Empoleon
Inverse: Rotom-W, Zapdos

Kabutops
Direct: Electrode

Kingdra

Lanturn

Latias

Lucario
Inverse: Magnezone

Ludicolo
Direct: Tangrowth
Inverse: Porygon-Z, Roserade

Machamp

Magmortar
Direct: Dugtrio, Gardevoir, Medicham
Inverse: Arcanine

Magnezone
Inverse: Lucario

Mamoswine

Medicham
Direct: Magmortar, Spiritomb

Metagross

Milotic

Mismagius
Direct: Alakazam

Moltres
Direct: Abomasnow

Ninjask
Direct: Gliscor, Smeargle

Porygon2
Direct: Blastoise, Sceptile

Porygon-Z
Inverse: Ludicolo

Raikou
Direct: Rampardos

Rampardos
Direct: Blaziken, Raikou

Registeel
Direct: Arcanine, Honchkrow

Rhyperior
Inverse: Empoleon

Roserade
Inverse: Ludicolo, Rotom-C

Rotom-C
Inverse: Roserade

Rotom-H
Inverse: Abomasnow

Rotom-W
Inverse: Empoleon, Jolteon

Salamence

Sceptile
Direct: Arcanine, Honchkrow, Porygon2

Scizor

Shaymin
Inverse: Snorlax, Vaporeon

Shuckle
Direct: Walrein

Skarmory
Direct: Forretress, Gengar
Inverse: Aerodactyl

Slowbro

Smeargle
Direct: Ninjask

Snorlax
Inverse: Shaymin

Spiritomb
Direct: Medicham

Staraptor
Inverse: Dugtrio

Starmie
Direct: Gyarados

Suicune
Direct: Bronzong

Swampert

Tangrowth
Direct: Ludicolo

Tentacruel

Togekiss

Torterra

Typhlosion
Direct: Honchkrow

Tyranitar

Umbreon
Inverse: Alakazam, Mismagius, Weezing

Uxie

Vaporeon
Inverse: Shaymin

Walrein
Direct: Shuckle, Clefable

Weavile
Direct: Azelf

Weezing

Yanmega

Zapdos
Inverse: Jolteon
Uber Metagame Correlation:
Code:
Blissey

Bronzong

Celebi

Darkrai

Deoxys-S
Direct: Groudon

Deoxys-A

Deoxys-D
Direct: Gengar

Dialga

Forretress

Garchomp

Gengar
Direct: Deoxys-D

Giratina

Giratina-O
Direct: Weavile
Inverse: Metagross

Groudon
Direct: Deoxys-S

Gyarados
Direct: Manaphy

Heatran

Heracross

Ho-oh
Direct: Quagsire
Inverse: Primeape, Toxicroak

Infernape
Direct: Manaphy

Jirachi

Jumpluff

Kingdra

Kyogre

Latias
Direct: Lugia

Latios

Lucario

Ludicolo

Lugia
Direct: Latias

Manaphy
Direct: Gyarados, Infernape
Inverse: Primeape, Smeargle

Metagross
Inverse: Giratina-O

Mew

Mewtwo

Palkia

Primeape
Direct: Smeargle
Inverse: Ho-oh, Manaphy

Quagsire
Direct: Ho-oh

Rayquaza

Registeel

Roserade

Salamence

Scizor

Shaymin-S

Shedinja

Skarmory

Smeargle
Direct: Primeape
Inverse: Manaphy

Starmie

Toxicroak
Inverse: Ho-oh

Tyranitar

Weavile
Direct: Giratina-O

Wobbuffet
Finally, here are some graphs that confirm a few of the above correlations graphically:

Heatran and Bronzong exhibit direct correlation in the Standard metagame.​

Empoleon and Rhyperior exhibit inverse correlation in the Standard metagame.​

Jolteon and Zapdos exhibit inverse correlation in the Standard metagame.​

Manaphy and Infernape exhibit direct correlation in the Uber metagame.​

Deoxys-D and Gengar exhibit direct correlation in the Uber metagame.​

Metagross and Giratina-O exhibit inverse correlation in the Uber metagame.​

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Could you show how strong or otherwise the correlations are? This could allow your system to detect more slight correlations without exaggerating them.

Very cool stats, its interesting to see that because of the massive amount of sample data you can see correlations between some rare Pokemon than would only actually encounter each other in a small % of matches (like Umbreon and Zam).

It also seems that a lot of the Pokemon with noticeable correlations are leads, could you possibly do a lead correlation analysis?

X-Act

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
About axis labels: the vertical axis is percentage usage, while the horizontal axis is:

1 - Nov, 2 - Dec, 3 - Jan, 4 - Feb, 5 - Mar, 6 - Apr

The correlation formula indicates how much they correlate as a number. The nearer the number is to zero, the better the correlation is. I decided not to show any numbers so that I don't confuse the new Smogon user. I could provide the formulae though.

I might do a lead correlation analysis, yes - however, not in the near future. It didn't take me long to implement this (on Excel), but it did take me a good deal of time to perfect the formulae.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Then how about a "simple" table for the less math inclined (what you have done so far), as well as one with the correlation displayed as a number for those who want more in depth info (and more sensitive to slight correlations)?

X-Act

eric, I could just as well post the 25,000 numbers (that's twenty five thousand) that signify the correlation of each Pokemon with each other. There will basically be two 100x100 tables for OU, and two 50x50 tables for Ubers. I don't know if people _really_ want to browse through a 100x100 table of numbers, which is why I didn't post it (and why Excel is excellent for doing this).

I guess that if people want to see it, I'd just upload the Excel sheet for people to download if they feel like. I'll do that after I return home from work, though.

eric the espeon

mm, that would be over the top (though I suppose some people may like it) but a more sensitive readout than given in the OP would be nice. I mean, looking at the top 50 Ubers a vast majority of them are:
And the same can be said for a good portion of OU, when probably most of them have some weaker correlation with at least a few Pokemon that has not shown up. Making the tables less sensitive could mean that statistical noise creates some odd results, but so long as you can see how strong the correlation is you can judge for yourself which to pay the most attention to.

X-Act

That's why I might as well provide the correlation for every Pokemon with every Pokemon... because I don't know how much am I going to slacken the criterion to allow two Pokemon to show correlation.

eric the espeon

The problem with just having the entire table could be that most Pokemon have a level of correlation with each other that is not separable from the statistical noise. The ideal situation would be to have a table of all correlations that you can set a "threshold" for notable correlation yourself, and it shows you all the correlations stronger than that value. But having you pick a single (more lenient) value and including the strength of correlation would be awesome.

Also, why so few comments? This seems like a pretty interesting set of data already for OU/Ubers players.

I find it strange that none of these are exhibiting the predator-prey relationships that occur in real-life ecology. If you have the time, X-Act, maybe you could account for some time delay for some of the obvious ones?

The statistics are interesting, but they make me want to form possibly nonexistent reasons for the correlations. The only reason I can right now come up with for the inverse correlations without time delay is that two Pokémon fill the same niche in the metagame, and that explanation only works for a few, e.g. Jolteon and Zapdos, Weezing and Umbreon, Electrode/Aerodactyl/Crobat. And even those only very roughly fill the same niche.

It's all very interesting, although I think that - as every statistic should remember^^ - correlation is not causation. For example, there's little to no concept link (counter/teampartner and so on) between Blaziken and Rampardos IMO

Even though correlation is not necessarily causation, a true correlation always has some explanation (at least in the vast majority of cases). It might be the predator-prey relationship I discussed in my previous post, which is a direct causation, or it may just be a third, unknown Pokémon or set of Pokémon causing the correlation. The confounding factor - the third Pokémon - could also explain correlations between two Pokémon that fill the same niche.

X-Act

Okay, I'm going to post the criterion I used for two Pokemon to show 'enough' correlation.

Say Pokemon A has percentage usages a_1, a_2, a_3, ..., a_n from months 1, 2, 3, ..., n in chronological order, while Pokemon B has percentage usages b_1, b_2, b_3, ..., b_n. My definitions for direct and inverse correlation were:

Code:
Direct Correlation = abs((a_1 + b_2) - (a_2 + b_1)) + abs((a_2 + b_3) - (a_3 + b_2)) + ... + abs((a_(n-1) + b_n) - (a_n + b_(n-1)))

Inverse Correlation = abs((a_2 + b_2) - (a_1 + b_1)) + abs((a_3 + b_3) - (a_2 + b_2)) + ... + abs((a_n + b_n) - (a_(n-1) + b_(n-1)))

where abs(x) is the unsigned value of x
The nearer the correlation is to 0, the more correlation is exhibited. A value of 0 shows perfect correlation.

The average change between a month usage and the next, m_a, for Pokemon A is defined as follows:
Code:
m_a = (abs(a_2 - a_1) + abs(a_3 - a_2) + ... + abs(a_n - a_(n-1))) / (n-1)
Finally, Pokemon A was said to show 'enough' correlation with Pokemon B if
Code:
[Direct/Inverse] Strong Correlation < max(m_a / 2, m_b / 2)
Now what I could do to slacken the above definition is
Code:
[Direct/Inverse] Weak Correlation < max(m_a, m_b)
I'll try this and see what happens.

X-Act, you say that you did not provide a PMCC value. Obviously I do not want to pile more onto your plate, would it be too hard to generate a list of "correlation partners" for each Pokemon? If we could just find the |PMCC| values of each Pokemon with respect to the top 30 or 40 Pokemon in each tier, and then order them largest to smallest (obviously we would want to display the parity of each PMCC value in the list), this would give us an easier way to quantify how well each Pokemon correlates with another, and I believe would be very useful for analysis writing and suspect nominations. From what I remember, PMCC is just a function of three "varience type" calculations, but I do not know how complicated it would be to write a script that could calculate these and order them for you. It might be worth looking into, it would at the very least, mean that we wouldn't necessarily need this arbitary threshold value, and the PMCC is easy to interpret (being simply a value where |x|<1)

X-Act

First of all, PMCC is not simpler to interpret than my method. For PMCC, the nearer the number is to 1 or -1, the stronger the correlation, but where are you going to take the cut-off? Is it +/-0.9? +/-0.8?

Secondly, I did apply PMCC to the Pokemon usages, and found that the correlation generated wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. Basically, my idea of perfect correlation is: if a Pokemon increased by p% usage from one month to the next, the other Pokemon usage should increase or decrease by that same amount. I found that PMCC doesn't cater for this enough, so I discarded it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)