1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Counter that Pokemon - Mk III [Silvershadow234 vs. New Breed]

Discussion in 'BW RU' started by Cherub Agent, Feb 2, 2013.

1. New Breed

New Breed BIG MONEY
    is a Tiering Contributor

Stop comparing Samurott to Scizor, the only similarities they have is a STAB 40 BP priority move. I just thought I would point out some flaws that Exeggutor has as you were very good at pointing out the problems the other Pokemon have against Team 2.

No really it's not extreme prediction, if Exeggutor comes in on any Pokemon bar Escavalier it HAS to Hp Fire or Hitmonlee will sweep after Escavalier pursuit traps it, making it pretty easy for the player using Team 2 to just stay in while you over predict (even if you don't over predict and click Leaf Storm/Psychic to OHKO something Team 2 will still have the upper hand) I would rather save a slot for later that is dedicated to beating Hitmonlee and isn't so easily removed by Team 2.
  2. Hollywood

Hollywood ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ Chugga Chugga! ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Other Metas Leader

Team one is definitely going to want the priority more than the coverage. The only thing that HP Fire would hit stronger than anything else on the set is Escavalier who still takes around 70-80% from a Hydro Pump. You are barely missing out on the OHKO, and if you sac Samurott to get that hit on Escavalier, it is still easy to revenge kill.

Anyways, voting for Silvershadow234's Samurott because it hits the opponent's team incredibly hard while also maintaining synergy with the rest of the team.
  3. dragontamer74pe

dragontamer74pe

I was comparing it to the scizor in the last ctp we had because they are almost exactly the same. Wait when are we countering team 2's hitmonlee? We have 2 picks left after this and I don't want to be forced into a hitmonlee counter. We should give our final pick as much freedom as we can and we should also probably be running a scarfer too. So this is exactly like the scizor pick as we pick a poke that does decent against the current picks but is easily walled. Then we're left with too much on the final pick (we want as much freedom as we can for our real last pick) and then we choose a poke that doesn't give us any offensive threats. Exeggutor is pursuit weak hooray and if we predict right we get a kill. Really though let's use an excuse that we can always have another check with our final poke. I forgot about pursuit though so that means Exeggutor isn't 100% perfect as if it gets a kill it dies. That makes Medicham the best pick and therefore that's who I'm going to vote for.
  4. Cherub Agent

Cherub Agent how lonely is the night without the howl of the wolf
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Megapants's Qwilfish

I like how Qwilfish can cheerfully come in on Hitmonlee and Escavalier too I guess and start throwing around Spikes and Thunder Waves, which really hurt the opposing team as it's entirely grounded. currenty we do not have a solid switchin to team 2's most threatening Pokemon, and Qwilfish provides Team 1 with that and notable passive damage.
  5. DrRobotnik

DrRobotnik

I deleted my previous vote, changing it to my Medicham since I just found out we were allowed to do that.
  6. Celever

Celever

I thought that cherub was talking about who won the votes rather than voting himself! :|

At least he chose the right one.
  7. Dragoon124

Dragoon124

Megapants's Qwilfish
  8. Iridescent.

Iridescent. formerly Bluwing

Megapants's Qwilfish

Team 1 totally needs a check for Hitmonlee, Qwilfish will also then have free turn for either setup Spikes or Thunder Wave an incoming check, which means that team 2 has too play Hitmonlee carefully and that is exactly what team 1 wants.
  9. Cherub Agent

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

So, the next Pokemon on Team 1 is Silvershadow234's Samurott!

Hmm this is where it's gonna get tricky... anyway you can start submitting the next Pokemon for Team 1.
  10. New Breed

New Breed BIG MONEY
    is a Tiering Contributor

[​IMG]
    Spiritomb (F) @ BlackGlasses
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Sucker Punch
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Pursuit
    - Will-O-Wisp

Spiritomb is a decent choice for Team 1 as it can check Hitmonlee by allowing it not to double it's speed and also burn it, it can also serve as a great Slowking check even in Trick Room with Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch. If you feel like Slowking will switch out you can pursuit too. Spiritomb can also burn Escavalier outside of Trick Room and Piloswine also really does not appreciate the the burn.
  11. Cherub Agent

[​IMG]
    Slowking @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Fire Blast
    - Slack Off
    - Toxic

Physically defensive Slowking does an excellent job at blocking Team 2. It fully walls both Piloswine and Hitmonlee, outspeeds and OHKOs Escavalier 75% of the time without Stealth Rock and always 2HKOs Piloswine with Stealth Rock. It can also switch into Team 2 Slowking with impunity and Toxic it, setting it on a timer. Psyshock is unneccesary for Hitmonlee as you can just spam Scald against it.

252+ Atk Fighting Gem Hitmonlee Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowking: 127-150 (32.31 - 38.16%) -- 1.76% chance to 3HKO
    252+ Atk Piloswine Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowking: 126-148 (32.06 - 37.65%) -- 0.24% chance to 3HKO
  12. Molk

Molk Crustle knocked off the opposing Rhydon's Assault Vest!
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    RU Co-Leader

[​IMG]
    Rotom @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spa
    Bold Nature
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Thunderbolt
    - Shadow Ball
    - Pain Split

Bulky Rotom does a pretty decent job of keeping team 2 in check, like Spiritomb its immune to Hitmonlee's Fighting-type Attacks, and can therefore completely block him from ever setting up a late game win condition as long as Rotom's alive. Its immune to Piloswine's Earthquake and never gets 2HKO'd by Icicle Crash, while outspeeding and burning it with Will-O-Wisp in return, it can do the same to Escavalier as well, although its a bit more shaky when Trick Room is up because Megahorn has a chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock. All while deterring Slowking from ever switching in with Thunderbolt, which gets a guarenteed 2HKO on it after Stealth Rock damage even without investment.
  13. dragontamer74pe

dragontamer74pe

[​IMG]
    Haunter @ Black Sludge
    252 speed 252 special attack 4 defence timid
    Shadow Ball
    Hidden power fighting
    Subsitute
    Disable

Haunter will do well on team 1 ATM as it easily sets up subs on both escavalier and hitmonlee disabling the only move they can use against him. It then can 2hko and 3hko piloswine and slowking. It's not pursuit bait as it can disable it and doesn't rely on a inaccurate move to hit escavalier either. It's actually really hard to switch into due to its decent speed and above average special attack combined with 3 immunities and completely wall/ checking the biggest threats to team 1. Piloswine can be dealt with by samurot and accelegor so it's not to much of a problem. This poke also forces team 2 to choose wisely for a scarfer as Haunter can easily disable that attack and as Haunter outspeeds all of team 2 ATM it does it's job even better.
  14. Cherub Agent

15. Silvershadow234

Silvershadow234 :]]]]]

16. Molk

Molk Crustle knocked off the opposing Rhydon's Assault Vest!
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    RU Co-Leader

I think im gonna go with CherubAgent's Slowking this time around, it was pretty hard to choose between him and the other options, but in the end i think Regenerator gives Slowking an edge over the other submissions, making it much harder to wear down than Spiritomb, Rotom, and Haunter, and therefore a more reliable check to team 2.
  17. New Breed

New Breed BIG MONEY
    is a Tiering Contributor

indeed im going with CherubAgents Slowking as it completely stops Team 2 as it is right now.
  18. Oglemi

Oglemi THE DREAM IS REAL
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

Molk's Rotom
  19. Slory

Slory

CherubAgent's Slowking
  20. Celever

Celever

21. speed ghilliesniper

speed ghilliesniper

Slowking seems to be the best counter but stacking a water typing seems to be a bad idea so I'll go with Rotom.
  22. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I'm going with Molk's Rotom since it can burn all the physical attackers, can stop Hitmonlee from using it's Fighting Gem, and hit Slowking super effectively.
  23. tehy

tehy

I'm voting Cherub Agent's Slowking

What can I say, it seems like the obvious choice. Only Escavalier can really hurt it and it's outsped and usually Ohko'd, especially if we can get some prior damage on it. Regenerator and Slack Off means that it can solo their entire team. Unless their next two pokemon are both capable of handling Slowking (And even if they are), we should be able to set up a win condition pretty easily.
  24. scorpdestroyer

scorpdestroyer is a pious radio
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

I had a hard time, the submissions were pretty good but I think I'll vote for Spiritomb
  25. Explorer

Explorer

NewBreed's Spiritomb It works well both in and out of Trick Room, and given that three of the four current Team 2 Pokemon are hardly useful at all when burned, Will-o-Wisp seals the deal for me. Spiritomb having no weaknesses is a bonus, so there are no real defensive synergy issues.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)