1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Counter that Pokemon - Mk III [Team 2 won!]

Discussion in 'BW OU' started by ganj4lF, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Bossness

Bossness

2. ClubbingSealCub

ClubbingSealCub

ginganinja's mixmence
  3. Melee Mewtwo

Melee Mewtwo Is a Fox main.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Timid is cool but it misses out on some cool KOs and the opponent can easily use a ScarfTerrakion or Keldeo to revenge kill it instead (plus non rain Empoleon misses the OHKO on Choice Rotom anyways). It would be worthwhile if we decided to run Rain and Wobbufett to deal with non-Volt Switch ScarfMons but that is a lot to ask from a team off the bat like that.
    Anything is going to get countered and if we force them into a Sun team or using bulky mons right off the bat then it's doing its job as the first choice. (Even Rotom, except SpDefensive, is 2HKO'd by Emp's boosted Surf)

The cool thing about Empoleon is that its typing lets it check some Kingdra sets and counters others and since it works well even outside of rain choosing Kingdra becomes a risky choice.

Empoleon hits so hard it is arguably harder to counter than RP Lando or Agility Thundy. The thing that really messes it up, though, is that low base speed that leaves it outrun by ScarfMons even after an Agility. It's resistance to most priority and Substitute kinda helps make up for that though. Plus these revenge killers can't really risk switching in to Emp anymore than they could into Lando or Thundy. Sadly, Petaya Berry is a one time use item so Emp is a bit less flexible early game. I still wouldn't exclude it from that group though as it makes up for the lack of power early game with double +1s late game.

Yeah, the slashes are for non-Rain vs Rain. Without Rain, the reliable Surf with the complementary Ice Beam is the way to run it whereas under rain Hydro Pump becomes so massively powerful that the accuracy drop isn't a problem and Ice Beam becomes unnecessary allowing for the use of Grass Knot to give it near perfect coverage. I assumed it would fall under the second rule listed.

4. ganj4lF

ganj4lF Nobody is safe from the power of science!
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

The point is, Thunder outclasses Thunderbolt completely in rain, and that's the only reason slashes are permitted in that case. In your case, Hydro Pump doesn't (technically) outclass Surf in Rain, nor does Grass Knot outclass Ice Beam in any circumstance (and the other way too). The point is you're changing coverage depending on future picks; let's say they pick Jellicent to stop Empoleon, then you can pick Rain just to have a reason to use Grass Knot and go through Jelli. That's not allowed, that's not how CtP is supposed to work. To be honest, I was thinking about banning slashes completely, that point in the rules is just to avoid dumb things like running Ice Beam in hail just cause you didn't know you'd later pick an Abomasnow. As a general rule of thumb, if it changes coverage, that slash must be removed.
  5. Melee Mewtwo

Melee Mewtwo Is a Fox main.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Ah okay, thanks for explaining that. I went with the more general Surf/Ice Beam then.

Edit: Eh, I don't like having such a bare post to say so little. I'll edit my vote into this post if there ends up being a close race between two sets.

Edit2: Pocket's Kyurem-B
  6. Bryce

Bryce Lun

ginjaninja's MixMence
  7. kRunsOverU

kRunsOverU

ginganinja's mixmence
  8. gengarsnemisis

gengarsnemisis

DarkBlazeR's Tailwind Hydreigon

Tailwind could totally turn the tides of the battle in team 1s favor.
  9. RedRascal

RedRascal

Edit: ginganinja's mixmence

It seems that the vote is going heavily in MixMence's favor but I've oddly not been a big fan of mence. Easily revenged in this case with no boosting moves and even something like the RP Landorus set I gave can outspeed and kill it at base 101 speed.

Reason I went with RP Landorus dispite other suggestions: almost anything slower than it is dead, end of story. It is also weak to Ice Shard like mence so they're comparable there but mence's Special Attack gets nerfed after a Draco and Outrage makes you easily revenged by almost anything faster.

Both are very good at breaking things but the main reason I like Lando over Mence is the RP. Both can come in and break something but if desired Lando can RP up if it's safe and proceed to sweep. Mence can come in and wallbreak certainly, likely netting a ko, but then it will be forced out and put us in an awkward position.

Also tooting my own horn a bit but what'cha gonna do? I suggested Lando for a reason.

Edited my vote if that's ok. I didn't realize I can't self vote. My bad. Leaving my thoughts since they're still valid
  10. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Danned Beucer.
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

ClubbingSealCub

I got the original format right :> it's SubSD Terrakion in case anyone forgot. I probably would have gone with Hydreigon, but I'd rather we have something tried and true instead of something more or less unknown.
  11. Eranu

Eranu

Pocket's SubRoost Hone Claws Kyurem-B
  12. NixHex

NixHex No excuses
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

Pocket

Not much to say here other than I've always wanted to see defensive cube in action.
  13. Turtle Soup

Turtle Soup

14. MX42

MX42

Dat Kyurem B Pocket made...
  15. dragonuser

dragonuser Today, tomorrow, and always with a frozen heart
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Pyramid Kingis a Past WCoP Winner

SubRoost Hone Claws Kyurem-B
  16. Trinitrotoluene

Trinitrotoluene ♪~ hold me tight and never let me go, never let me go ~♪
    is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

17. Reymedy

Reymedy They live and die by my command.
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

I don't know why all this love for Kyurem-B, get a Scizor and a steel like Cobalion who can Sub and resist Dragon Tail and break Kyurem's one. Whatever

Voting for Electrolyte's Landorus-T, at least it's solid and will always works, no matter what is picked next.
  18. Crackstar

Crackstar

Tailwind Hydreigon
  19. Alexander.

Alexander. Banned deucer.

Tailwind Hydreigon
  20. Rechi

Rechi

DarkBlazeR's Tailwind Hydreigon
  21. TGMD

TGMD +Biosci: you both gave me crabs
    is a Tutoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    Tournament Winner

22. RaijueR

RaijueR

Pocket's SubRoost+Hone Claws Kyurem-Black
  23. Qwertyuiop

Qwertyuiop

Pocket's SubRoost+Hone Claws Kyurem-B

Pocket's Kyurem-B set looks like an interesting (and good) first choice for Team 1. I was also considering supporting Tailwind Hydreigon, but liked this better, so...
  24. windwolf777

windwolf777

Done if not too late
    Dark pulse chosen over the might burst for reliability and also in case anybody else can use it.
    And I vote pocket if I can
    EDIT 2: Item is scarf. Not LO sorry
  25. NixHex

NixHex No excuses
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

You can say that about any Pokemon -_-
    There are counters/revenge killers for everything, that's the point.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)