Counter that Pokemon - Mk III [Team 2 won!]

It checks that set Remedy was talking about earlier that used Bug Buzz to OHKO Celebii and Hydreigon, Giga Drain to beat Keldeo and HP Ground to get rid of Heatran. It's not a big concern but closing up the whole for some niche set to try to pull off a sweep is always nice bonus. The main attraction behind Skarm is walling Mamo/Hera while providing hazards and not being trapped by Zone. (At least for my Skarm set)

By the way, ATM I'm using Toxic as the attack choice as a STAB option gives Rotom free switch-ins. Does this work for everybody or would you rather see something else?

I'd rather see Brave Bird or even drill peck as skarmory's job is to counter/check heracross+mamoswine and not only does toxic make skarm complete taunt bait and magic bounce user bait, it also can make heracross go from a Pokemon running from skarm (and giving team 2 a chance to set hazards) to a Pokemon that switches into toxic and later 2hkos karm (with rocks)

Oh that's right I had forgotten about Guts thanks for catching that. I think I'm leaning more towards Iron Head as the STAB option since it lets Skarm pop Cube's Subs. Outside of attacking choices there is also Whirlwind or Taunt that can mess with different types of setup. Not hitting Mamo or Hera isn't a big deal as the former wears himself out with LO while the latter is hazard fodder and is easy to deal with once Skarm reveals the move it locks itself into.

Well, Cube's DTail is actually faster than Skarm's Whirlwind. However, it can still be there to discourage him from trying to grab some boosts while Skarm lays some layers as the unexpected Whirlwind blows all that work out the window. Plus it annoys predicted Rotom-W switch ins by forcing it to rack up extra SR damage while hitting whatever is dragged out. I guess I'll change it to Whirlwind, then. (not like Iron Head was doing much besides popping Cube Subs)

Should I withdraw my set now as its inferior to melee Mewtwo's? Its trapped by magnezone (was gonna change item but melee Mewtwo ninjas me) and it only sets up rocks. Am I allowed to do that? If I am idk why anyone would vote for my set and it doesn't really do anything.

The list of viable mons that can set up Stealth Rocks is lessened once you consider the threat of Zone, Mamo and Hera (other members of the team also cause problems). I was considering Garchomp, but there was Mamo. Jirachi, but there was the threat of Zone. There is the option of Donphan, as G-Von suggested (I think), but it is quite easy to break its Sturdy the go to another mon to finish the job.

Is there anything wrong with Shed Shell Skarm setting up hazards on 4 of the members of Team 1? I don't think we made an error waiting to pick our hazards setter at all.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
It's a simple question of logic.

The more requirements you leave for a pokemon, the less choices you'll end up having.
I mean, no need to bring a debate or what, and no need to name example like Skarmory (which is in my opinion a easily countered one, and I'm pretty sure that you'll think the same in a couple of days).
This simple logic does not mean that you'll end up having only bad choices, but, you'll have less of them, thus it's easier to predict them and react beforehand.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think Melee Mewtwo's Skarmory suggestion is the best so far. Skarmory walls both Mamo and Heracross, and sets up both kinds of hazards while not caring about Zone. Of 'course Mamo can get lucky with a flinch and 3HKO but this is a risk we have to take... Also with Skarmory in the team every Volcarona variant is checked or walled by something in the team, which is good.

There are so many viable hazard layers that it's virtually impossible to prevent the other team from finding a good one while countering their own offensive threats. This was the big success behind Deo-D in the last CtP project as it was the very last pick for Team 1 which allowed them to make sure that it had every opportunity possible to do its job. Seeing as the project focuses around both teams shifting between their various counters, having hazards on the field is major advantage as it makes the counter part of the project much harder. It didn't need to be Skarm this pick, either. If another offensive threat was picked it could just have easily had been a Deo-D setting the layers. Our choices aren't limited, ones just turn out to be stronger picks than others.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
But... Team 1 pulled it off in the last CtP project because they had the VERY LAST pick. Therefore, they had nothing to fear/no big restrictions when picking their last team member as all of Team 2's picks were revealed. However, we are currently picking for Team 2. This is a HUGE difference, as for instance, if Team 2 picks Skarmory, Team 1 can pick Magnezone or a faster Taunter. But Forretress and Ferrothorn have the same problems. Team 2 is just put on so much MORE pressure that maybe it should've gotten the necessities out of the way and focused on making the offensive picks better.

What good will Zone do to a Shed Shell Skarm? How will a faster Taunt user prevent Skarm from coming in and setting up Spikes on Cube, Mamo, Hera and Lando? It's easy to bring in a counter to an offensive threat. It's much harder to stop Spikes when they leave a permanent effect from a forced switch. The only way to deal with it is a spinner or a Magic Bouncer but Team 1 has only one pick and there is an offensive threat to deal with, too.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Alright, here I am. Sorry for the delay, RL is quite busy at the moment. Let's vote for the last pokemon of Team 2! These are the possible entries:

Rules are as usual, 24 hours or something like that for voting. Go!

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Sadly, because there is literally one choice...

Melee Mewtwo (my hate comes from hating stall lol but we really do need it XD)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)