Counter that Pokemon - Mk IV [FINAL MATCH - Team 1 won!]

Decided I'm going to post Infernape, so look for this post to be editted later. In other news, Team 2 is completely stopped by Celebi/Breloom right now, so if anyone posts a new set later, make sure you have a Fire/Flying/Ice type move somewhere in there.
Which is why Chandelure is ideal, resisting one stab of Breloom and immune to the other and also carrying Shadow Ball and Fire Blast to roast Celebi.
OK, so have decided on Trick and will be updating shortly.
Any thoughts on Timid vs Modest?

Okay so being so Raikou weak is something that has really been bothering me about Scizor. I could run a bulkier spread but then Volcarona becomes a problem. The best I could find was a bulk LO set but that barely beat Raikou which made it still a strong counter pick since worse case scenario they take out Scizor. (and if they get any previous damage Raikou cleanly sweeps) I really didn't want something lame like a Team 1 final pick mess with things so I've been looking for other things. I've decided that looking for a good switch-in to Scarf Kyurem is asking for too much. It is already SR weak and Team 1 won't be able to fix that and with a tad bit of prediction it won't be lasting very long. I wanted this pick to be a sort of check all and something that can clean at the same time. I looked at a lot of Moxie users but only one really looked like something we can use to pull off easy cleans. I also looked at some speed boosters but there was again only one that stood out to me. So my choice had to be between Scarf Heracross and Yanmega. The former matches up amazingly against Team 1 right now (I wish I had noticed this earlier when G-Von suggested it) and can be really threatening but it is a choice mon and has crappy coverage moves. Yanmega has a sort of easier time since it can actuallly use Hidden Power and speed boost is neat for being able to switch attacks and outspeed even really fast stuff since it just keeps pumping. It lacks the SE coverage of Heracross, though, and so it misses out on a lot of OHKOs. Not being able to OHKO Kyurem was especially displeasing as it meant it relied more on the rest of the team predicting around it before it could keep it in check itself. (it is also very SR weak but Blastoise can handle that fine) Besides, Unburden Sceptile is still WAAAY too fast for Yanmega and he is the guy who worries me the most about Heracross. (but we only need to force it out once before it isn't a problem) Timid Volcarona can also be a bit more annoying but that power drop should still be enough for Heracross to play around it. (should do better than Scizor at least) With that said...

Forget Heracross, Scarf Mence is a jerk.

Heracross (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Night Slash

What does this set do? Heracross is just a big bundle of niches. It has a strange typing that gives it a unique set of resistances and absurdly strong and spammable STABs that are backed by its giant 125 attack stat. It even gets a cool selection of abilities from Guts for anti status to Moxie for cleaning. Sadly, these niches don't make up for its meh speed and crappy coverage options. It remains nothing more than a niche in OU and Ubers having to drop to UU for it to really shine. Fortunately, we couldn't ask for a better niche for Team 1 right now. (or well, having a massive defense stat for Kyurem B would be cool) With a Choice Scarf and a Jolly nature Heracross is the fastest Pokemon out of both teams. Megahorn has really good coverage against Team 1 and even Close Combat is useful for the easy OHKO on Kyurem-B. Even Landorus, who resists these strong STABs, falls victim to that niche typing and struggles to hit for much back himself. Moxie is the icing on the cake and really separates Heracross from other Scarfers as he isn't just going to revenge kill, he threatens to sweep the opposing team. With only one pick left for Team 1 and a tough one to choose, Stone Edge and Night Slash are good enough to keep a Gengar or Volcarona at bay.

How can this set help the team? Heracross gives us a great revenge killer to serve as a check all and safety net as well as a dangerous cleaner that'll force Team 1 to play on our terms when it comes to their final pick. Being able apply so much pressure and hold Team 2 together is really useful and should go to show that smart picks beat final ones.

What can the other team do in response to this set? Jellicent is still annoying but it has a harder time with Night Slash Heracross than it would with Scizor and its a crummy pick in general. Bug resists in general will help prevent a Megahorn sweep but they'll still have to watch out for Close Combat and his coverage moves. The most annoying thing about Heracross is that by focusing on offensively checking Team 1's Kyu-B (with what is essentially just speed creeping) something silly like a Scarf Moxie Mence can be tacked on to outcreep the creeper and punish Team 2 for their lack of Dragon resist. For this reason I am still undecided on opting for Heracross. Having some feed back on Heracross vs Yanmega would be appreciated.

What potential additions can be made to deal with these responses? This is our last pick for Team 2, paranoia is justified.

I'm going to edit this post shortly with Scarf Heracross.
:evan:

You people make me sick. So we decide having a pokemon that can switch into Cube and not give a fuck is less important than having a deadweight Blastoise that gets 2HKO'd by 2 of Cube's moves. So now we STILL NEED BOTH a scarfer and a pokemon to switch into it. Team 2 is clearly fucked because of Kyurem-B's selection, which I would go as far to say was my doing since i was the last, thus deciding, vote for it that broke a three-way tie. Now Melee wants to take my suggestion from the previous round and make it his own...which could have been selected and put us in a better spot than the shithole we're in now. How do we allow ourselves to pick a defensive pokemon without answering Team 1's most dangerous pokemon?

Ok, rant over. It still stands that we need a scarfer and a pokemon that can switch into Cube. The only thing I can think of is a scarfed steel type like Cobalion but even he doesn't OHKO. Scizor wouldn't be a bad choice but bug/steel is so easy to wall and a fire type alone resists both and hit Scizor back for SE damage. Honestly it might be our only choice though, unless...

Scarf Jirachi that Ganj4lf suggested. That is pretty much the last remaining option for CS mon that can swap into Cube and mess it up.

:evan:

You people make me sick. So we decide having a pokemon that can switch into Cube and not give a fuck is less important than having a deadweight Blastoise that gets 2HKO'd by 2 of Cube's moves. So now we STILL NEED BOTH a scarfer and a pokemon to switch into it. Team 2 is clearly fucked because of Kyurem-B's selection, which I would go as far to say was my doing since i was the last, thus deciding, vote for it that broke a three-way tie. Now Melee wants to take my suggestion from the previous round and make it his own...which could have been selected and put us in a better spot than the shithole we're in now. How do we allow ourselves to pick a defensive pokemon without answering Team 1's most dangerous pokemon?

Ok, rant over. It still stands that we need a scarfer and a pokemon that can switch into Cube. The only thing I can think of is a scarfed steel type like Cobalion but even he doesn't OHKO. Scizor wouldn't be a bad choice but bug/steel is so easy to wall and a fire type alone resists both and hit Scizor back for SE damage. Honestly it might be our only choice though, unless...
Although ranting is never justified, I do agree with you that we could have just picked Scarf Heracross last time instead rather than pick Blastoise and THEN pick Scarf Heracross to cover it's weaknesses.

Right now, Scarf Heracross is a little too late. We need fire type coverage ASAP and Heracross(which would have been WAY better last round) doesn't offer that.

It is for this reason that Chandelure, Heatran and Scarf Infernape(if it is EVER submitted) are the best options available.

I'm slowly beginning to think that Heatran is our BEST choice right now: it beats out Cube AS WELL AS offering Fire-type coverage.

Well I would respond, but I kinda did already in my edit. My reasoning behind the shift is explained before covering Heracross. Anyways, Blastiose is far from deadweight, there is still that Zapdos that we needed a Rapid Spin for in the first place and Blastoise brings that as well as checking a lot of things Heracross alone wouldn't. (Like Infernape) In any case, last round was kinda crummy in that we didn't really get many votes.

I disagree with the Kyu-B. As I already brought up, being SR weak and Choice is going to hurt Kyu-B enough that forcing ourselves defensively is overkill. There are bigger threats to our team and I think we be a bit more flexible in how we deal with the frost dragon.

Even Heracross though I'm undecided on. It helps out a lot by basically speed creeping everybody, but that can be done to Team 2 as well. A Scarf Moxie Mence could be used to outspeed Heracross and I don't think Team 2 will be able to play around two dragons even if they are both SR weak. Yanmega has the advantage of still fulfilling the Revenge Killer and Cleaner roles but comes at the price of missing easy KOs for outspeeding virtually everything. Honestly, I really wish we just had a fast Dark type. Sucker Punch would be really useful to ignore the opposing speed creeping but just about every potential user is slower than the 5 fighters (108) which really puts a damper on that.

Scarf Jirachi that Ganj4lf suggested. That is pretty much the last remaining option for CS mon that can swap into Cube and mess it up.
Its too weak and barely survives so it can easily be forced out and have momentum swing in Team 1's favor. I'm thinking about maybe a RP Cobalion with a LO to guarantee the OHKO after set up of Rock Polish.

Cobalion is already stopped cold by Slowbro. It could annoy it with Volt Switch but that doesn't even 2HKO and throw boosts out the window.

Blastoise also gets 2HKO'd by special Nape. And yea Balion gets boned by Slowbro but at this point Team 2 is boned because of the fact we don't have something to take on Cube. Regardless what this pick is, Team 1 will have an option to rip apart team 2.

Blastoise also gets 2HKO'd by special Nape. And yea Balion gets boned by Slowbro but at this point Team 2 is boned because of the fact we don't have something to take on Cube. Regardless what this pick is, Team 1 will have an option to rip apart team 2.
Let's be positive here guys: agreed, Blastoise wasn't the best possible choice(Starmie was better) but we have to make do with what we have.

Right now, the two biggest threats to Team 2 are Scarf Infernape and Scarf Salamence
Scarf Latios seems decent enough here: it beats out both Infernape and Salamence and has the attacking power not to be deadweight.
Of course, Team 2 will then most likely select Weavile which will mean we will be fighting a difficult battle, but Team 2(current) + Latios vs Team 1(Current) + Weavile as a matchup is far better than Team 2(current) + Heracross or most other options vs Team 1 + Scarf Salamence or Scarf Infernape.

Another option could be Magnezone: it has enough defense to tank Cube and has a 130 SpA that we can use to ensure it doesn't become deadweight (we already have ground and fire covered by Rotom-W).

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
@gengarsnemisis

Scarf Latios is not a good idea because it does nothing to cover our Kyurem-B weakness and is not that hard to cover for team 1 between Slowbro and Jirachi.

@Lavos Spawn

Scarf Tyranitar might be able to take a hit but it still leaves Kyurem-B unchecked, which is a big problem. Also Tyranitar just exaggerates our Breloom and Sceptile weakness while being a bad all around Scarfer in general.

@vyomov

Chandelure has the same problem as all the other Scarf mons suggested so far, it cannot switch into Kyu-B at all, which is a big problem. Also both ScarfTar and ScarfChan leaves us weak to a Scarf Salamence pick, and more Pokemon that i don't need mention.

@FrostFire

I wanted Heatran too for the last slotbut then i realized how Breloom and Sceptile weak it left us. For this reasons it is not a good option.

@Melee Mewtwo

Not having a safe switch-in to Kyu-B is a problem, and one that can't be overlooked. Kyu-B gets guaranteed 2HKO against everything on team 2 even without SR, except against Blastoise which is 3HKOed 81% of the time and can't do anything significant back and is also needed to be healthy in order for SR to not fuck us up. Sadly, Heracross can't do the same, as Jirachi can avoid the 2HKO from its STABs even after SR, and we need to factor in any potential pick that team 1 can make. SD Sceptile with Acrobatics, Leaf Blade, and Rock Slide, Grass Gem and Unburden sweeps too if given the chance while Scarf Salamence is really threatening as you already said. 3 attacks + Toxic LO Gengar can also be a real pain for team 2 as the only Pokemon that is not 2HKOed by it, Zapdos, is fucked up big time by Toxic and it checks Heracross pretty damn well. Scarf Heracross leaves too many holes opened and is not such a good pick.

Scarf Infernape would be an ok pick if team 1 didn't have Slowbro, which completely walls it. Even if we go for U-turn and SR is up Slowbro is taking almost zero damage thanks to Regenerator. Of 'course thanks to our VoltTurn core we will have the momentum, but one wrong move and Kyu-B comes in to get a OHKO, while Infernape can't reply back with another KO due to Slowbro.

Here is an idea that could work:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Spd / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Zen Headbutt Iron Head
- Wish
- Protect

Walls Kyu-B to hell and back, can deal with Sceptile and outspeed every Breloom variant and kill it with Zen Headbutt. It is also resilient enough to survive the onslaught of even two scarfed dragons, as Choice Scarf Mence is definitely an option team 1 has. Volcarona without Speed gets paralyzed before it has a chance to hit back, Rest + Chesto Volcarona has limited coverage and doesn't have the power to OHKO Terrakion and Garchomp at +1, while offensive Volcarona can OHKO Jirachi or boost, so depending on our action it can be handled too. Raikou is somewhat handled too, assuming we get the 60% paralyze, as it can take everything Raikou can do even at +1, and find a chance to heal back to full life later. If Raikou opts for Lefties and Sub to avoid Body Slam it could become very problematic though... ZEN HEADBUTT BITCHES!!! Thoughts on the set and if anything can be done to be improved?

or even better run zen headbutt over iron head
I LOVE YOU :D

Neliel

Sacred Sword
you could move 76 evs in atk on jirachi to always break sub of raikou with 58 evs in hp (raikou only needs to outspeed kion so it will probably use this spread). raikou can still use a defensive spread with max hp/ 58 def and rest in speed to always survive an hit but hey it wont be that scary i guess without special investiments.. or even better run zen headbutt over iron head x.x

@alexwolf
The issue I see with Jirachi is that it already loses to Landorus so it doesn't really pressure Team 1 to do much, leaving Team 1 free to pick the mon best suited to cover their weaknesses.

Another issue I see is that we have no scarfer, so non-scarf Jirachi opens the door for Team 1 simply to select a faster mon(Infernape is a prime example)

As it is, Blastoise did nothing much to put any pressure on Team 1. Jirachi simply doesn't put enough pressure for Team 1 NOT to select a mon that can sweep.
Hell, Team 1 doesn't even need another scarfer - they could go for CB Infernape or convert the whole team into a weather team with Politoed.
The only way we can actually put pressure on Team 1 to act is by having a faster scarfer than Cube so that Team 1 has to select another Scarfer(locking them into one move, which optimizes our chances).

A prime example is MixMence, which beats Jirachi one on one and can wreck Team 2 late-game as of now.

The way I see it, Scarf Keldeo is our best chance: it beats Cube and dents massive holes in non-resists. Scarf Tran while not fast actually fits the role we need: it can tank Cube and OHKO back and walls Salamence to no end if they pick it.

What kinda bothers me about Rachi is that although it is covering all the weak spots (I think, I guess Terrakion can still be a dick though) it isn't putting any pressure out itself. (what with Slowbro around) Seeing as Blastoise isn't either, Team 1 kinda gets away with their free pick to do what they want.

I'm starting to lean more towards a potential Yanmega pick with SilverPowder and HP Ice. You pointed out even more problems with Scarf Heracross than just Scarf Mence (although he does 2HKO Rachi if SR is up 97.66% of the time) and Yanmega avoids that by having Speed Boost say "screw you" to any potential speed creepers. Sure, it might not be able to revenge something like Moxie Mence but it would be pretty stupid of Team 1 to leave themselves so open to an easy sweep trying to get one in first with a bunch of Scarfed Dragons (who can blow holes in the team with 2HKOs but not OHKOS so they are very checkable and won't break us before Yanmega breaks them). I don't want to type up another post just to find out there were problems with this one too I didn't think of so what do you guys think? I would use something like Protect/Buzz/HPIce/Slash with Timid (although Modest is tempting since it still at least ties with Kyu B and he can't switch in thanks to Speed Boost) but Yanmega has some other things going for it like Hypnosis.

Edit: I'm not a big fan of Keldeo, I feel like it is just an inferior Infernape as the former has better coverage options to make up for the power drop.

Actually, Yanmega has a HUGE disadvantage. If it protects(for the boost) vs Cube, a Cube locked in Outrage can freely select Ice Beam and wreck havoc. Yanmega's also 4x weak to SR, meaning it can't stay very long.
If we select Yanmega, team 1 can just select Weavile and romp past both Yanmega and Garchomp(thus getting a huge advantage)

SR won't be up since Blastoise pretty much lols at Azelf (which was the whole point behind him over other spinners who would have to wait for other mons show up before spinning) so I'm not worried about that. Weavile/Mamo are screwed by the two bulky waters we already have and the former is an additional SR weakness. Cube can't reselect Outrage unless Yanmega and him ended up both in one-on-one which would be extremely rare. Either Yanmega would come in after a kill (where he is already locked into whatever) and outspeed and KO (assuming Cube has already come in once with SR up) or Cube will try to come in on Yanmega and face the same scenario. Really, the Cube vs Yanmega fight is decided by how many times Cube has already been forced out. If this isn't the first time Cube has come in then he shouldn't be a problem. (unless he came in before SR was up)

Kyu-B gets guaranteed 2HKO against everything on team 2 even without SR, except against Blastoise which is 3HKOed 81% of the time
The calc i ran on Honko says it does 52% minimum so that too is getting 2HKO'd. On my thoughts for Wish Jirachi, mehhh it at least checks Cube. It also has a SpD boosting nature and since Team 1 is majorly special-based, I would say that is a good move. I would say its an OK suggestion with what we have to work with right now.

He is talking about Outrage.

252 Atk Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise: 172-204 (47.51 - 56.35%) -- 28.13% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise: 192-228 (53.03 - 62.98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Lol, whoops

Nvm about Yanmega, he loses to CM Raikou derp.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok i get the pressure thing, but if we give to Jirachi Toxic instead of Protect then Slowbro isn't safe and most dangerous offensive Pokemon can't switch into Jirachi in fear of paralysis. Of 'course without Protect we would have to be much more conservative but we don't have many options at this stage.

Yanmega would be cool if it had more power, however it can't even guaranteed OHKO Kyu-B after two SR rounds with Timid, which is sad. Hypnosis is an option i guess, but it is unreliable as fuck.

Just a though about Jirachi, Scarf Chandelure laughs off Jirachi because of the free switch ins on Body Slam and the OHKO with Fire Blast:
252+ SpA Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 148+ SpD Jirachi: 368-434 (91.08 - 107.42%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Melee Mewtwo, Cube is Adamant. I would post the calc but i cannot copy and paste on my phone. It is a full-proof 2hko.

TCTphantom

formerly MX42

Metagross @ Leftovers
252 Atk, 4 Def,252 HP
Adamant Nature
Trait: Clear Body
~Meteor Mash
~Ice Punch
~Earthquake
~Bullet Punch

Metagross is considered by many as the worst pseudo legendary, hoping for it to drop into UU. However, for this CTP, having something that can take nearly any hit from the Kyube and hit back hard is essential. Metagross here threatens every member of Team 1 for a 2HKO at worst. If Slowbro dies, we can have Meta come in and take out something. It gives us a revenge killer,something to tank Kyube, blast something to oblivion, and revenge weakened threats...

252 Atk Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Metagross: 107-126 (29.39 - 34.61%) -- 7.3% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise: 190-225 (52.48 - 62.15%) -- 98.83% chance to 2HKO

Closest to fool-proof you'll get.

Also MX, choice locked Metagross can be walled easily, so why not go for LO instead?

Shoot, you know what we can do? Freaking Focus Sash sets. With Blastoise keeping SR at bay they'll be pretty reliable and they can easily serve as check-all to whatever random sweeper Team 1 contemplates a silly derp sweep with. I think having one that can threaten Kyu-B with a strong prio attack is best so that we can save the Sash. Breloom looks cool for this and is a strong mon in general (spore is pretty big in this project) but I've only just started searching. What do you guys think?

Breloom? And get annoyed by Lavos's King's Rock Cloyster LOL no thanks.
On a more serious note, the issue with Sash is that once Blastoise is gone, they can set up SR and render the Sash useless. Burning breloom would also be bad, on sole reason of lack of power.
They could also use a RestTalk user to beat out Breloom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)