Project Counter That Threat! Mk. III [Week 12: Garbodor]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again gentlemen and ladies, today I would like to present to you a counter to protect us from the threat of the vile construction worker that is Gurdurr. While many of my peers will present more effective and commonplace counters allow me to re-introduce you to a forgotten member of our tier. The mustached one himself, Swalot!

You honestly must be mistaken, I am not fast, bulky or strong. What can I honestly do to stop an I-beam enthusiast?

"Well good sir, you are both unexpected and deserving of a little time in the sun."

So this is really happening?

"
Yes."​

AWESOME!
Now with those introductions out of the way it is now time to explain this most perplexing of choices. For while Swalot's stats are a tad on the mediocre side, against this middle evolutionary hoodlum Swalot's typing is more than ideal and his move pool allows for him to out preform Gurdurr in honorable one-on-one combat.

Here is the set we will be using to defeat the bulky middle child of the Conkledurr family,

Swalot @ Black Sludge
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Acid Spray
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
The set above may seem rather odd, but after running calculations it works for several reasons. First Swalots decent HP stat allows it to endure some pretty vicious hits, particularly Knock-Off, which is further aided by the fact that his poison typing reduces Gurdurr's main attacking move, Drain Punch.

The above EV spread and nature allows Swalot to physically withstand Gurdurr and due to typing and EVs Swalot does not need to worry about losing out against the vigor stealing Drain Punch.

The ability Sticky Hold was chosen for one primary reason, Swlaot will always have HP recovery each turn, which allows it to whittle down the Gurdurr even more. While this does come at the cost of more damage from Knock Off, I felt that HP recovery was more important when you are stuck in a grinding battle.

The moves chosen also succeed in breaking the body of Gurdurr for two reasons, Acid Spray not only allows for Swalot's STAB and recovery moves to hit harder, but can also force Gurdurr to switch to prevent it from being the target of more status debuffs or powerful Special moves. Swalot's other moves were chosen for the fact that he needs a STAB, Sludge Bomb, and a form to gain additional recovery, Giga Drain. Hidden Power Fire is used to provide coverage against any Steel-Type switch-ins who resist or are immune to Swalot's other attacks.

Finally, it is time to prove that our sturdy, sapient sludge monster is ready for this job by way of calculations. For these calculations we will be assuming that Swalot switched into Gurdurr, there by giving the brute a free Bulk Up.

Our friend, Swalot, emerges from his spherical home to find a brawny pokemon doing bench presses with an I-Beam. Confused, terrified and excited about finally getting to be used in a battle our friend strikes a fighting pose.

Turn 1:

0 SpA Swalot Acid Spray vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 39-46 (10.4 - 12.2%) -- possible 9HKO

+1 252+ Atk Gurdurr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Swalot: 122-144 (30.1 - 35.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Our friend, promptly vomits from the stress as Gurdurr tries to steal Swalot's lunch. It sadly does not go as planned, for now acid covers Gurdurr.

Turn 2:

0 SpA Swalot Sludge Bomb vs. -2 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 172-204 (45.9 - 54.5%) -- 54.3% chance to 2HKO
Or
0 SpA Swalot Giga Drain vs. -2 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 96-114 (25.6 - 30.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

+1 252+ Atk Gurdurr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Swalot: 122-144 (30.1 - 35.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Swalot, embarrassed and furious, now raises to his full size and prepares to strike down the bully that has attempted to take his morsels. With many tools at his disposal Swalot is free to dispatch Gurdurr however Swalot sees fit.

To conclude this, here are some miscellaneous calculations to show that Gurdurr's best moves were put forward.

+1 252+ Atk Gurdurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Swalot: 70-83 (17.3 - 20.5%) -- possible 7HKO after Black Sludge recovery

+1 252+ Atk Gurdurr Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Swalot: 38-45 (9.4 - 11.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Gurdurr is thwarted and the threat removed for your team. Not only have we countered the threat, but we have also brought forward one of the more Underused pokemon of the NU tier.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Regirock as a hard check / counter

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 196 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
- Drain Punch

Regirock's massive physical bulk and resistance to Tauros's STAB move makes it one of the best answers to it in the tier. Regirock prevents Tauros from constantly clicking Rock Climb, its strongest move.

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Regirock: 51-60 (14 - 16.4%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Tauros Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Regirock: 117-138 (32.1 - 37.9%) -- 93.2% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

In this scenario, while Regirock is 3HKOed after rocks, Tauros must take Stealth Rock damage and 2 rounds of Life Orb recoil, and in return Regirock can paralyze Tauros. Note that this also requires Tauros hitting Regirock on the switch with Earthquake.

44 Atk Regirock Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tauros: 118-140 (40.5 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

12.5 + 20 (two turns of LO recoil) + ~45% = 77.5

Summed up, in the worst possible scenario Tauros would hit Regirock on the switch with an Earthquake, hit it with another Earthquake for a total of maximum of 88% while taking 33% from LO and rocks and Regirock can paralyze it and 2HKO with Drain Punch afterwards.

Last edited:

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss / Night Shade
- Will-O-Wisp
- Curse
- Pain Split / Rest

Before anybody talks about Dusclops being "unviable" or "uncompetitive", it is neither. Dusclops is an amazing glue on bulky stall teams with incredible mix defenses and the utility of being able to shut down nigh every setup sweeper or wallbreaker by avoiding damage from either side, crippling opponents, and setting sweepers on a 4-turn timer. However, one of its greatest assets is being able to cut through every threatening normal type in the tier, especially Tauros. Even with no PhysDef investment, Tauros's heaviest hit on it will be 27% from a unburnt Zen Headbutt, which becomes even weaker after a wisp. Through this, Dusclops can easily force Tauros out again and again wearing it down with 0 opportunity cost in return, while decimating Tauros's low PP attacks with Pressure. Even without SToss, between Curse and Wisp it should be able to easily take out Tauros with little back.

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp / Thunderbolt
- Trick

Rotom's immune to both Rock Climb and Earthquake and doesn't take much from Fire Blast/other special attacks, and while Zen Headbutt hurts, its generally a great offensive check to Tauros. Rotom can then Volt Switch out, 2HKO with Thunderbolt, or even burn it. A defensive set is a good counter, too

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rotom: 152-179 (63 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rotom: 82-97 (34 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Rotom Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Tauros: 178-210 (61.1 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Rotom Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Tauros: 138-163 (47.4 - 56%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp / Thunderbolt
- Trick
I disagree with this, scarf tauros is a very good poke in this tier as it outspeeds all relevant scarfers, but it does alot of damage with LO sheer force zen headbutt, and can pursuit to predict volt switch (i dont think pursuit tauros isnt terribly uncommon)

Pokedots

is a Contributor Alumnus
I disagree with this, scarf tauros is a very good poke in this tier as it outspeeds all relevant scarfers, but it does alot of damage with LO sheer force zen headbutt, and can pursuit to predict volt switch (i dont think pursuit tauros isnt terribly uncommon)
Rotom's definitely not a counter, and I mostly took into account its LO set over its much less common (but good) Scarf set, but it's a solid offensive check that keeps it from spamming Rock Climb. Zen, Stone Edge/Rock Slide, or any other neutral coverage move from the scarf set beats Rotom if it predicts on the switch-in, but that's why it's a check and not a counter, and Tauros doesn't like to get locked into those moves anywyas, while Rotom is immune to Rock Climb/Double Edge and EQ. I'd definitely say that Pursuit is rather uncommon, though it's a viable move Tauros can run

Audino @ Audinoite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Wish
- Protect

Standard Mega Audino (using Protect over Heal Bell) can tank many hits safety, recover HP with Wish and boosting its Dazzling Gleam when HP are enough to do that, using right sequence moves.
Some calcs:

252 Atk Life Orb Tauros Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 133-156 (32.4 - 38%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 129-152 (31.4 - 37%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 75-90 (18.2 - 21.9%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Tauros Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 73-87 (17.8 - 21.2%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Audino: 55-65 (13.4 - 15.8%) -- possible 6HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 0 SpA Mega Audino Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Tauros: 160-190 (54.9 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Obviously Scarf Tauros has worse calcs.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Relaxed / Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Stone Edge
-

252 Atk Life Orb Tauros Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 192+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 109-131 (31 - 37.3%) -- 79% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Carracosta Scald vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Tauros: 109-130 (37.4 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Carracosta Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tauros: 120-142 (41.2 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Lol I literally just c/ped this set from my Week 8 entry, just switched Aqua Jet for Scald to burn Tauros and it don't want none of that. You can invest full Defense if you want to, I just keep the SpD to take Fire moves and Vivillon's Hurricanes and shit noticeably better :P

Syncrasy

Change the game, don't let the game change you
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Solrock @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solrock: 94-110 (27.3 - 31.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solrock: 82-97 (23.8 - 28.1%) -- 31.1% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Solrock Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tauros: 82-97 (28.1 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO

Basically Solrock can came in on most of tauros (albeit iron head can be a prob but thats pretty uncommen atm) and will-o or set up rocks it also has reliable revery with Morning. the eves can be adjusted if you wann take more special hits thought i wouldnt recommend bcs iirc typloshions Specs eruption can 2hko max spD solrock anyways.

Last edited:
There are moments in your life when you honestly question the choices that have bought you to that moment. For some it is looking at that last bottle of empty whiskey, some it is realizing that your children have grown up while you sat in an office cubical or for some it is holding their first child and realising they are a parent now with new responsibilities that they cannot fully imagine. Those are for others, for myself it is sitting on a tree branch while the Taurous that I have attempted to castrate is below, demanding vengeance.

I throw all of my compatriots at the enraged bull, but most are too frail, too slow or too weak to stand up to the bull. Gourgeist, Barbaracle, Hypno, Magmortar and even Weezing all fall to the enraged bull. With little options remaining, I draw the last metallic ball from my belt, releasing the beast of destruction that lies inside. There is floats, the destroyer of worlds, the incarnation of the apocalypse, Togetic!

"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."​

Now that this introduction is out of the way it is now time to answer the baffling question, why Togetic? First, typing. While Fairy/Flying does open up us up to a rock weakness, the most common sets often do not run a rock move, outside of one of the scarf sets. Second, stats. While Togetic has decent stats, mostly allocated in the defences, it gains the enourmous benefit of Eviolite that allows its defence and special defence to go through the roof, allowing it to withstand whatever the perturbed bull decides to throw at it. Finally, we have Togetic’s movepool, which I feel is extensive and allows it to easily field a number of support and stall roles on a team.

With the supporting evidence for why Togetic can be an extremely useful pokemon out of the way it is now time to explore the set that we will be using.

Togetic @ Eviolite

Ability: Serene Grace

EVs: 216 HP / 192 Def / 100 SpD

Bold Nature

- Roost

- Charm

- Thunder Wave

- Seismic Toss​

Now I feel this is an often-overlooked set when dealing with any of the physical threats of the NU meta game (which in my opinion is an extremely physically dominated meta). This set allows Togetic to come in (not switching into an attack), thunder wave and roost. This allows Togetic to survive indefinitely against the bull, barring a critical hit. With this survival Togetic can begin charming, roosting and tossing its way to victory, as the Tauros simply become weaker and weaker.

"I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon you."​

To prove that this is possible here are some relevant calcs,

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Slide vs. 216 HP / 192+ Def Eviolite Togetic: 133-156 (43.6 - 51.1%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Zen Headbutt vs. 216 HP / 192+ Def Eviolite Togetic: 70-83 (22.9 - 27.2%) -- 53.3% chance to 4HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 216 HP / 192+ Def Eviolite Togetic: 118-140 (38.6 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

4 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 216 HP / 106 SpD Eviolite Togetic: 39-47 (12.7 - 15.4%) -- possible 7HKO

This only gets worse for the bull once charm comes into effect. To prove this Tauros’ best move becomes almost useless

-2 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 216 HP / 192+ Def Eviolite Togetic: 60-71 (19.6 - 23.2%) -- possible 5HKO

Togetic Seismic Toss vs. 0 HP Tauros: 100-100 (34.3 - 34.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

While the Togetic, who can roost, Thunder wave and charm its way into survival, just has to toss the belligerent bovine up and down until it decides to leave the field of battle. The final boon to this set is that it can switch into many of the tiers physical attackers, cripple them and force switch outs once the Togetic begins to work its charismatic skills on them.

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I liked the above for the writing, laughed at the intro in particular. Tauros does 2HKO after rocks with Rock Climb + Rock Slide so there is that to consider when you say it switches in.

I liked the above for the writing, laughed at the intro in particular. Tauros does 2HKO after rocks with Rock Climb + Rock Slide so there is that to consider when you say it switches in.
My apologies, I will remove the switch in clause to fix that immediately.

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Shadow Punch

Tauros can't do more than 31.9% on Dusknoir :
252 Atk Life Orb Tauros Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dusknoir: 70-83 (23.8 - 28.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dusknoir: 73-86 (24.8 - 29.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dusknoir: 51-61 (17.3 - 20.7%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

And Dusknoir can easily burn Tauros! If Dusknoir burn Tauros, We can easily substitute and we can beat Tauros with Focus Punch :
4 Atk Dusknoir Focus Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tauros: 226-268 (77.6 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Burned tauros :
252 Atk Life Orb burned Tauros Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dusknoir: 35-42 (11.9 - 14.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force burned Tauros Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dusknoir: 36-43 (12.2 - 14.6%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Dusknoir can easily sub so!

Pokedots

is a Contributor Alumnus

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers / Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Signal Beam / Heat Wave / Giga Drain
- Roost
- U-turn / Calm Mind

Xatu can switch into almost everything Garbodor throws at it except a max Atk Gunk Shot or Explosion, bounces back Spikes and Toxic Spikes, and can hit it super effectively with Psychic or Psyshock. The spread, item, and moveslots depend on what your team needs and what you want Xatu's role to be

0 Atk Garbodor Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 204+ Def Xatu: 118-139 (35.4 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Xatu Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garbodor: 218-260 (59.8 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Garbodor Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 204+ Def Xatu: 165-195 (49.5 - 58.5%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO

Mawile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Iron Head / Sucker Punch

Mawile is cute, but she's so powerfull too ! With Intimidate, the sub can't be broken by Drain Punch Garbodor:
-1 0 Atk Garbodor Drain Punch vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Mawile: 39-47 (15.3 - 18.5%) -- possible 6HKO
And so, it can easily set up swords dance under a sub or on a switch out.
Garbodor can't do anything against the cutest mon

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Claydol @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin
- Shadow Ball
-

The only way Garbodor is beating Claydol is if it is max Speed with Seed Bomb, and it needs to nail Claydol on the switch with it too. Claydol not only threatens with both of its STABs, but can even spin away Garbo's hazards.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Mismagius @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split

Stallbreaker Mismagius does great against Garbodor, as it is able to tank every move from Garbodor's main set with ease, cripple it with Will-O-Wisp or limit its utility as a spikes setter with Taunt, still carrying Pain Split to recover off some damage and Shadow Ball to threaten Garbodor or the switch.

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Barrier/Signal Beam
- Stored Power/Psychic
- Moonlight

0 Atk Garbodor Gunk Shot vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 100-118 (23 - 27.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 0 SpA Musharna Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garbodor: 362-428 (99.4 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Musharna Stored Power (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garbodor: 164-194 (45 - 53.2%) -- 32.4% chance to 2HKO

Standard mushy comes in on garb and begins setting boosts right off the bat. If garb decides to stay in, mushy can either OKHO/2HKO without taking much in return, then potentially sweep the opposing team (depending on the use of signal beam).

Looking at the field before me, I am disheartened at the ebb and flow of the battle. We have the lost momentum of war and our rebellious opponent has capitalized on this shortcoming and, like all good generals should, they have placed troops in specific locations, entrenched their defences and they have brought forth the wares of war. Knowing our bad position, I look at my grim faced loyalist warriors. Their eyes tell me all that I need to know, we will lose if we do move to hamper the foes logistics and fortifications. This is something that has to be done with upmost haste, however, whom do I send to accomplish this sensitive mission? The warrior Hariyama? The barbarian Barbaracle? The paladin KlingKlang? The lancer Gogoat? No, none of these brace warriors can wade past the enemy battlements to remove the adversaries’ master of logistics, Garbodor, without injuring themselves too severely. For not only has the revolutionaries’ master of logistics ensured that they are defended, but rumour holds that he is a master of hand to hand combat and can handle many threats. It is in this moment of thought that a lone Taoist monk approaches me. He tells me he is a member of the Kadabrian sect of Taoism.

Life and death are one thread, the same line viewed from different sides.
I know little of them, but they are staunch in the support of their beliefs, which this rebellion would seek to stamp out. For if the rebels to succeed and establish the theocracy they desire Taoism would be banned from worship. He tells me that Tao is simply a flow of reality and that to oppose this current is to cause strife. I fear, for a second, that the collapse of his majesties' empire, which we are all fighting to maintain, is to go against the current, but he reassures me that it is the rebels that are trying to swim upstream, not us. With his ideals stated, he promises us help in our conflict and leaves immediately once I explain the operational problems.

The next day he returns a simple cloth sac over his shoulder and with no visible damage done to him. He places the satchel at my feet, purple blood pooling in the dew damp grass around the bag. Without any word, he leaves as I open the bag and lift out the decapitated head of the rebel Garbodor. I exhale happily; the civil war is one step closer to being resolved in our favor.

Silence is a source of great strength.
With the introduction done it is now time to explore the Pokemon, its abilities and its move pool that will be used to bring down the garbage Pokemon. First, Kadabra himself. As a middle evolutionary psychic type, Kadabra holds many benefits that would make many fully evolved Pokemon jealous. As its high Special Attack and Speed stat, allows it to almost effortlessly mow through opposition. However, with this amazing sweeping potential comes great fragility, as Kadabra’s HP, Defence and Special Defence are laughable to say the least. To make up for this shortcoming Kadabara has one of the most crucial and powerful abilities in the Pokemon games—and our second point—Magic Guard. This allows it to endure all forms of damage without feeling a smidgen of pain, so long as these attacks come from non-damaging moves or entry hazards. This allows Kadabra to run two viable set, Calm Mind Focus Sash or Life Orb Attacker. Finally, Kadabra’s move pool is rather impressive in its support moves and powerful attacks, however, it does lack in attack variety, which can lead out spoon bending Taoist to being walled by opponents depending on what set we choose to run.

With the examination of Kadabra done let us look at the set I feel would most effectively counter the rebel commander Garbador.

Kadabra @ Focus Sash

Ability: Magic Guard

Timid Nature

- Psychic

- Psyshock

- Signal Beam

- Calm Mind​

This set allows for fast and hard hitting special attacks, while the move choices allow Kadabra to counter many threats that could present themselves to him. He can handle special walls with Psyshock, many physical threats with Signal Beam and to take advantage of switch outs with a single Calm Mind Set up.

To add to this lengthy analysis let us look at the match up between the Taoist monk Kadabra and the insurgent commander Garbodor.

Violence, even well intentioned, always rebounds upon oneself.
-Turn 1-

252 SpA Kadabra Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garbodor: 330-390 (90.6 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO, guaranteed 2HKO

After slinking through the numerous hazards and warning systems that Garbodor has set up to protect himself, Kadabra finds the corpulent leader feasting on pillaged goods. Focusing his mind, he launches a powerful Psychic barrage at his foe, who only slumps down into his meal, dead. His heart exploded from the psychic energy unleashed on him. But, falsehood prevails and the foe simply played dead. At the approach of the monk he turns and unleashes a torrent of vile corruption at the monk.

0 Atk Garbodor Gunk Shot vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kadabra: 304-358 (136.9 - 161.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-Turn 2-

252 SpA Kadabra Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garbodor: 330-390 (90.6 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO, guaranteed 2HKO

Staggered after receiving such a harsh blow Kadabra steps back, but his eyes glow with a fierce determination and launches a second volley of telekinetic energy. This one hits the struggling foe with such a powerful force that an audible crunch is heard through out the room, as the fleshy foe's body contorts under the strength of Kadabra's mental energy, leaving only the star marked monk as the sole survivor.

Last edited:

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp

switch in and earth power it, fire blast if its lolballoon

more of a check than a counter because garbodor is still going to get layers up, so partner with a hazard remover :)

Drifblim
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off

Shoutout to Can-eh-dian because he was the first person to use no item defog set I think. The speed evs outspeed max base 70s otherwise go max speed if you wanna tie with Mesprit. Garbodor can't do much to this set as Gunk Shot does around 25% while you can easily defog away its spikes. It resists all its common moves including drain punch, seed bomb and explosion. Cool utility mon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)