Kyruem @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pressure
Evs: 122 HP, 252 Sp. Attack, 136 Speed
Nature: Modest (+Sp.Attack, - Attack)
-Ice Beam
-Draco Meteor
-Focus Blast
-Dragon Pulse

Always OHKOs with Ice Beam and outspeeds, while taking max damage Seed Flare after SR damage. Rest of moves are standard, not running HP Fire because i didn't want to tweak the evs, but it'd be simple enough.

I assume we're glazing over dragonite...

@Life Orb
Adamant
252Att/180Spe/76HP
Flame Charge
Sacred Fire
Stone Edge
Brave Bird/Earthquake

Thanks to it's enormous special bulk, as long as Stealth Rock isn't up this thing can happily switch in on anything Kyurem has, being 3HKO'd at very best. This give Ho-oh a chance to set up a Flame Charge, and with the given EVs it will outspeed Kyurem after one boost. From here either Sacred Fire or Stone Edge can be used to follow up with- SF will obviously decimate it in the Sun (Something Ho-oh is typically accompanied by), while Stone Edge covers weatherless and rainy scenarios, with the Flame Charge/Stone Edge combo inflicting a minimum of 96% total. In the final moveslot there's either Brave Bird for STAB or Earthquake to round out coverage.

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Wasn't that already mentioned?

Anyway counter is...

Omastar!
move 1: Shell Smash
move 2: Hydro Pump / Surf
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Earth Power / Hidden Power Grass
item: Life Orb
ability: Swift Swim
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Omastar may seem silly at first, thanks to his mediocre stats and with the presence of Gorybess, but he has a few qualities that make him really cool. For one, his Rock-typing and decent defense stat allows him to facepalm Ho-oh as he can now switch in on every move of Ho-oh's barring Earthquake (idea is to switch to Ogre on Flame Charge, then Oma on incoming Brave Bird). Swift Swim allows him to outspeed Ho-oh even after a Flame Charge meaning he can then release a powerful Hydro Pump or Surf for the OHKO. If you can predict Ho-oh's cowardness, then you can just Smash your shell and proceed to turn into a monster that virtually OHKOes the whole metagame after enough hazards, that can only be revenged by priority. His Defense stat still upholds him in this case as he easily stomachs weak ExtremeSpeeds (courtesy of Rock-typing) and Shadow Sneaks from Gira-a and Arceus. Moves give him really good coverage, HP Grass lols at Kyogre, Gastrodon, and other things that resist Hydro Pump. Ice Beam hits a ton of Dragons and obliterates Groudon who removes rain. Hydro Pump lols at anything that doesn't resist, and deals an insane amount to stuff that does (ex: Ferrothorn takes 80% from a + 2 Pump).

Since we're exploring lesser used, more niche pokemon in ubers, here's my counter:

Shedinja
~ X-Scissor
~ Shadow Sneak
~ Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
~ Protect
item: Focus Sash
ability: Wonder Guard
nature: Lonely
evs: 252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe

Shedinja, thanks to its magnificent ability in "Wonder Guard" can easily come in on any one of Omastar's attacks with immunity, and force it out completely. It requires dedicated rapid spin support, but serves as an amazing hard counter to most Kyogre, Palkia, Dialga, Blissey/Chansey, and the Lati twins. It can also check some variations of Arceus and Mewtwo as well, after appropriate scouting for their sets (via protect or other pokemon). Shedinja still packs a decent offensive punch, and its dual stabs are extremely useful in a tier riddled with Psychic type pokemon. Shadow Sneak provides priority to clean up weakened opponents, while X-Scissor is a generally strong attack to hit most anything in the ubers tier. Will-O-Wisp can get the jump on physical attackers looking to switch in, while Toxic provides long term residual damage, and has the added benefit of being able to hit Ho-oh. Focus sash is to take any single hit, giving Shedinja another chance to survive and wall forevermore.

I stared at Shedinja blankly for a whole day before I came up with this

Giratina @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Nature: Impish
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Will-O-Wisp / Roar
-Dragon Tail

The great wall of Giratina strikes again! With some of the largest bulk known to Pokemon, Giratina can switch into any of Shedinja's moves with ease. Will-O-Wisp or Toxic can be Rested away, X-Scissor barely scratches and Giratina can easily take a Shadow Sneak any day. Most importantly, it can burn Shedinja with Will-O-Wisp, bypassing the Sash with an instant KO. Ideally, you would send another Pokemon (like Forretress) to setup hazards before switching in Giratina to both dispose of Shedinja and start shuffling the opposing team around. Roar can be used if Toxic Spikes is to be put in play, because Shedinja would then get KOed upon re-entry.

I got a counter to both of those, also counting Giratina.

Dialga @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp.Atk/4 Spe
Nature: Modest
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon Pulse
-Fire Blast
-Thunder

Dialga with his massive bulk and Steel Typing can switch into Shadinja's moves with impunity, is immune to Toxic, and does not mind the burn that much. Dialga can also roast the bug with Fire Blast. Giratina's attacks can't even 3HKO on this beast, and Dialga can OHKO Giratina with a boosted Draco Meteor (or Dragon Pulse assuming Rocks are up). Draco Meteor basically 2HKOs everything that does not resist it, and Thunder does massive damage to Lugia if he decides to switch in. Fire Blast is very powerful in the sun as well. Very powerful and extremely bulky with amazing typing, the only thing that can fully counter this beast is Blissey or Chansey.

Note that I want a counter other than Blissey, Chansey, Lugia, or Ho-Oh as they have already been mentioned.

Seeing as I can't use Chansey, Blissey, Lugia, or Ho-Oh:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpD / 128 Spe
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roar
- Lava Plume

This set is one of the best counters to Dialga, being immune to Fire Blast and resisting Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse, while tanking Thunders (preferably in the sun). Lava Plume doesn't do a whole lot in the rain though, so Groudon support is pretty much necessary. Another option on this set is Earth Power because it hits Dialga harder. The set itself is pretty well-known: Taunt is the crux of this set to prevent opponents from healing, while Toxic wears Blissey and co. down. Roar is on the set to phaze unharmful opponents and rack up entry hazard damage. Lava Plume is great because it really puts the hurt on Toxic-immune Pokemon, as well a lot of common Spikers (Ferrothorn, Forretress, Skarmory).

Oh my god fucking STOP repeating same sets. If only I were a mod...
Sorry.

*Double Checks to make sure this set has not been posted

...actually, there's so many sets now that it's almost impossible to make 100% sure you don't repeat.

Wait...do I actually see a chance to

Blaziken @ Lum Berry
EV's 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe Adamant Nature
-Swords Dance
-Blaze Kick
-Hi Jump Kick
-Shadow Claw / Protect

Blaziken can switch in to Heatran, take a Lava Plume hit or a Toxic (heals with Lum), and threaten a Hi Jump KO. It can also predict the impending switch and Swords Dance for a massive boost. This Blaziken set trades Life Orb extra damage for the ability to set up on Pokemon that rely on status moves such as Blissey, Ferrothorn, and more. A great late game sweeper, Blaziken can also be a potent anti-lead, especially against Pokemon such as Deoxys-S. After 2-3 turns, Blaziken will outrun every Pokemon in Ubers and can only be stopped then by priority.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Arceus-Psychic @ Mind Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Judgment
- Focus Blast

Even when at +2, Blaziken's Flare Blitz only has 15.38% to OHKO Psychic Arceus with sun support (no Stealth Rock). Without sun, +2 Blaziken does ~68% tops with the same move, while Arceus OHKOs Blaziken in return with STAB Judgment. From there, He can simply Recover off the damage, set up a Calm Mind or two, and from there wreak havoc. Psyshock can be used over Judgment if you want to go through special walls with an ease, but get walled by physical walls, such as Groudon and Giratina. The goal is to slowly, but steady, set up, and from there become unstoppable. Will-O-Wisp can be used over Focus Blast, as it shuts down physical attackers such as Rayquaza and Arceus, though not recommended as Arceus will become a bait for Dark-types, who are immune to its STAB.

please don't post Spiritomb as a counter <_<

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Arceus-Bug @ (whatever the fuck bugplate is)
trait:multitype
evs: 4 HP / 252 Spa / 252 Spe
timid
-calm mind
-judgment
-Spacial Rend
-Recover

even if bugceus is by far the worst arceus ever made (honestly who the fuck would actually use this lol), it is great at beating psychiceus. because furai decided to run no speed and not even run psyshock, bugceus can easily set up calm minds and recover against the genius of a god. then he use his great insect powers to fuck him up. spacial rend is something i would use over psychic because it doesnt really compromise any coverage, but gains se hits on resh and palkia. its not like rayquaza could survive a +1 spacial rend anyway.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Roost
- Toxic / Taunt
- Whirlwind

This bird doesnt just care about any insect. All it takes to stop Bug Arceus is a simple Toxic. If it tries to get too many Calm Minds, just blow it away with a Whirlwind. Spikes are there since they're just excellent and with three layers of spikes and Giratina-O, nothing will really like to switch. SpD Skarmory checks a lot of other stuff as well in Rain such Excadrill, Ground Arceus, ExtremeKiller along with every CM Arceus lacking a super effective STAB.

Mewtwo@Life Orb
Pressure
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
Taunt
Calm Mind
Psystrike
Aura Sphere

The worst thing Skarm can do to Mewtwo is Toxic (on a switch-in) and that doesn't halt its immediate presence. Taunt shuts it down completely and allows a free Calm Mind. Assuming the opponent doesn't have their Extremespeed Rayquaza left, a +1 +1 near-unphazable Mewtwo is a serious threat.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Arceus-Dark @dread plate
trait:multitype
evs:252 hp / 40 def / 216 SpD
sassy
-recover
-payback
-Flamethrower
-Will-o-wisp

mewtwo can try all he wants to destroy god, but with dark arceus its gonna get fucked up. with that much defense (probably can run less but this just makes it lol) you can easily take a +1 cm aura sphere and OHKO back with payback. being immune to psyshock as well as being able to OHKO mewtwo with payback makes this set much better than psychiceus as the arceus counter. flamethrower is just for ferrothornintheass but can easily be replaced by anything because arceus practically has everything. recover makes him not die and WoW is in case of the physical attackers who notice you are running way too much special defense just to beat a mewtwo

Arceus@Fist Plate
Modest/Mild
252SpAtt/252Spe/6HP
Calm Mind
Judgement
Dark Pulse
Ice Beam/Brick Break/Recover

Arceus formes seem to be flavour of the week now that viable sets are starting to run thin on the ground. Fighting Arceus just ploughs through that set, laughing in the face of both attacking moves and not fearing the attack drop induced by WoW. In return Judgement is a guaranteed 2HKO straight off the bat, and can potentially OHKO after a single Calm Mind (89.2%-105.4%). Dark Pulse rounds out the set's coverage, hitting the Giratinas and Lugia as hard as anything it has, while the last slot is up for grabs between a number of moves. Ice Beam has nice Super Effective coverage in ubers, Brick Break 2HKOs both of the pink fat blobs running 252HP/252Def@Bold (You need SR to completely guarantee the 2HKO against Chansey though), while Recover improves longevity and allows you to use the above Arceus as setup bait.

prem

failed abortion
Arceus-Poison @ (the poison type) plate
bold
evs: 252 hp / 252 def / 4 spd
-recover
-will-o-wisp
-ice beam
-roar

poisonceus is probably the best fightceus counter outside of ghostceus, but ghostceus is common anyway so who gives a crap. with his great bulk and resistance to judgment fightceus obviously wont be breaking through posionsceus. you then just roar the bitch away so you dont have to care. recover is so you can stop it multiple times, while wow is useful to burn other physical threats like groudon and groundceus. ice beam is to hit dragons that you wall, lugia who cannot beat you due to your toxic immunity, and ground-types who will try to murk you with earthquake

In before Ground Arceus post. j/k

Reshiram @ Life Orb
Mild nature
56 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 196 Spe

- Dragon Pulse
- Blue Flare
- Outrage
- Stone Edge/Ancient Power

Reshiram doesn't give a f*ck about Poisoneus' attacks. Meanwhile, it will get destroyed by the dragon's STABs. Mild so you can go mixed, with Outrage dealing hefty damage to the blobs, Tyranitar or Kyogre switch-ins. Stone Edge or Ancient Power is another way to get rid of Ho-Oh if you don't want to get locked into Outrage. Prediction is key here as LO recoil + hazards damage will limit the times Reshiram can get a switch in so look at your opponent's team and play accordingly. If he decides to sacrifice a pokemon, Ancient Power *might* give you an edge if the +1 stats activate.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Okay, to make everything easier, I went through the whole thread and made a list of all the used Pokemon. This was a bitch to make as I also ordered them alphabetically, so please use it.

It's in the first post, check it out.

There's also been a few mixed signals about the posting of different sets for the same pokemon. I'm going to assume if they're varied enough then there shouldn't be an issue since a counter to one set does not necessarily counter them all. I feel this set is sufficiently varied to warrant posting, but if a fourth TTar is pushing it at this stage I'll delete it. But yeah;

Tyranitar@Leftovers
Jolly
200HP/40Att/252Def/16Spe
Dragon Dance
Stone Edge
Crunch
Low Kick

Bulky DD Tyranitar effectively counters that Reshiram build. The EV spread allows Tyranitar to avoid being 2HKO'd by any combination of attacks from Reshiram, factoring in one layer of spikes or SR (After leftovers), allowing it to set up at least one dragon dance. 80 Speed EVs allow a +1 Tyranitar to outspeed Reshiram, and I think you can imagine what a +1 STAB Stone Edge does to Reshiram (In case you can't: 161.9%-190.6%). Crunch has great coverage in Ubers and gets STAB, while Low Kick rounds out the set by hitting Dialga and Darkrai.

EDIT: The below criticisms have been addressed.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Scizor@Choice Band
Adamant
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD

-Bullet Punch
-U-Turn
-Pursuit
-Superpower

This bug comes in and smashes Tyranitar apart easily. Bullet Punch pulverizes TTar into a thousand pieces. Nothing TTar has can even KO Scizor at +1. Bullet Punch does a beautiful 87.7% - 103.5%, managing to notch up a OHKO with a little bit of prior damage. U-Turn helps maintain momentum and can be used to scout. Pursuit helps trap stuff like Scarf Dragons but its actually mostly filler while Superpower can be used to pummel Dialga.

There's also been a few mixed signals about the posting of different sets for the same pokemon. I'm going to assume if they're varied enough then there shouldn't be an issue since a counter to one set does not necessarily counter them all. I feel this set is sufficiently varied to warrant posting, but if a fourth TTar is pushing it at this stage I'll delete it. But yeah;

Tyranitar@Leftovers/Lum Berry
Adamant
252HP/104Att/72Def/80Spe
Dragon Dance
Stone Edge
Crunch
Low Kick

Bulky DD Tyranitar effectively counters that Reshiram build. The EV spread allows Tyranitar to avoid being 2HKO'd by any combination of attacks from Reshiram, allowing it to set up at least one dragon dance. 80 Speed EVs allow a +1 Tyranitar to outspeed Reshiram, and I think you can imagine what a +1 STAB Stone Edge does to Reshiram (In case you can't: 161.9%-190.6%). Crunch has great coverage in Ubers and gets STAB, while Low Kick rounds out the set by hitting Dialga and Darkrai. Lum Berry can also be considered for the item in order to avoid Dark Void and Will-O-Wisp from Darkrai and Giratina respectively, giving you the opportunity to sneak in an extra DD if they switch in to counter.
This set is not a counter. LO Outrage from the EVs listed above against your TTar does 44.1% - 52% which is a guaranteed 2HKO with any hazards on field. So please do your calcs before posting.

This set is not a counter. LO Outrage from the EVs listed above against your TTar does 44.1% - 52% which is a guaranteed 2HKO with any hazards on field. So please do your calcs before posting.
The EVs were chosen to guarantee it could take two Outrages after leftovers, I should have clarified that when discussing Lum Berry and should have elaborated on the necessity of having a clear field. However in the interests of thoroughness, I've amended the EVs. Outrage now inflicts a maximum of 46%, guaranteeing Tyranitar can survive two outrages factoring in SR or a single layer of spikes and one turn of Leftovers (I've also removed mention of Lum Berry which would obviously not allow this). Furthermore outspending at +1, survivability against the two special attacks and the OHKO with Stone Edge at +1 are not compromised.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus

Scizor@Choice Band
Adamant
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD

-Bullet Punch
-U-Turn
-Pursuit
-Superpower

This bug comes in and smashes Tyranitar apart easily. Bullet Punch pulverizes TTar into a thousand pieces. Nothing TTar has can even KO Scizor at +1. Bullet Punch does a beautiful 87.7% - 103.5%, managing to notch up a OHKO with a little bit of prior damage. U-Turn helps maintain momentum and can be used to scout. Pursuit helps trap stuff like Scarf Dragons but its actually mostly filler while Superpower can be used to pummel Dialga.

Here's a pretty solid counter:

(Flying)

Arceus@ Sky Plate
Timid Nature
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Ability: Multitype
-Flamethrower
-Judgement
-Recover
-Earthpower

This variant takes a maximum of 31.1% - 36.7% from a Banded Bullet Punch, which isn't a 2HKO even after rocks. (As for the other moves U-turn: 18% - 21.4%, Superpower: 20.7% - 24.3% and Pursuit: 20.7% - 24.5%). Arceus easily KO's with Flamethrower (112% - 132.9%, if you insist) and can serve as an all round finisher (taking out things like Heatran, Forretress, Blaziken) when Scizor is down.

@ Leftovers / Life Orb
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Substitute
- Recover
nature: Adamant
192 HP / 240 Atk / 76 SpD

doesn't give two shits about any of Flying Arceus's moves and can even live all of it's resisted attacks after SR, Recovering it off until its at sufficient health, then smashing Arceus with Sacred Fire. Gnarly under sun.

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Judgment
- Refresh

Easily takes all of Ho-Oh's attacks and sets up on them. Sacred Fire in the sun does a maximum of 30% damage, so even a normal Sacred Fire followed up by a crit won't KO Arceus, and with Refresh Arceus can just cure itself off a potential burn. Judgment KOes Ho-Oh even without a boost while Arceus outspeeds, so if Ho-Oh doesn't have a Sub up, Arceus can just as easily go for the revenge kill.

Arceus-Fighting@ Fight Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Judgement
- Recover
- Dark Pulse

Basically the same set as the one above, but this set checks Arceus-Rock thanks to its Fighting typing. Rock Judgement won't be doing much to this Arceus and if Arceus Rock for some reason wants to set up, then this Arceus too can set up. Fighting Judgement will do massive damage to Arceus-Rock (but it will not OHKO because of the low SAtk investment). Dark Pulse hits Ghost-types, such Giratina and even Arceus-Ghost, which trouble this Arceus. Recover can be used to heal any damage inflicted to Arceus and is helpful when trying to setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)