1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Counter That Uber Pokémon! - Teambuilder [Team 1 Voting!]

Discussion in 'BW Ubers' started by Furai, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomahawk

Tomahawk Nidoqueen is good in Ubers!
    is a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

[​IMG]
    Garchomp @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Veil
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Substitute
    - Swords Dance
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake

Garchomp is boss and unlike Excadrill it can also sweep outside of sand. However, in sand, it can sweep pretty much any team. With Sand Veil you can continously Sub on something like Ferrothorn until it misses, Swords Dance and Earthquake to KO and sweep. Outside of sand it becomes a simple Swords Dance sweeper with near-perfect STAB coverage, and Sub to prevent it from being revenge killed.
  2. Furai

Furai wellfare
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Two Pokemon have been submitted, which are:

Again, post your vote in bold. You may not vote for yourself, happy voting!~

I vote for Tomahawk9's Garchomp. Garchomp is cool and I have no other votes!
  3. Tomahawk

is a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Furai's Excadrill

Better than all other suggestions I could vote for no doubt.
  4. gookie

gookie Adominnustrata
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

sand is going to have excadrill regardless so yeah. use the obvious picks early so you reveal the team variables at the latest point.
  5. Manaphy

Manaphy

Garchomp
    Let's make this a little more interesting than Excadrill shall we?
  6. Bossness

Bossness

Excadrill
  7. DFrog

DFrog

Garchomp
  8. barry4ever

barry4ever
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

9. Fiction.

Fiction.

excadrill
  10. TrollFreak

TrollFreak (╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Furai's Excadrill
  11. Furai

Furai wellfare
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Excadrill is team 2's next member!

Team 1, you are free to nominate sets! You have two days to do so. I will think of something and submit it tomorrow.
  12. Tomahawk

is a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

[​IMG]
    Thundurus @ Life Orb
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Nasty Plot
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power Ice
    - Focus Blast

How about some Double Electric action? Team 2 has two Ground-types and both don't enjoy switching in on Hidden Power Ice or Focus Blast and adding another Ground-types is gonna cause some synergy issues for Team 2 so Thundurus is free to spam its powerful STAB Thunders. Zekrom and Thundurus can also work in conjuction by wearing down Electric resists and open up for one of them to sweep. The best way for Team 2 to handle Thundurus now is add Scarfers to revenge kill it (though Team 1 has to add a weather starter for Excadrill), and those are easy to switchin and we can easily add a counter for that, or better: something the Scarfer they've chosen on can't revenge so they'll have to add another Scarfer and have two weak Choice-locked mons.
  13. gookie

gookie Adominnustrata

Hello!

I'd like to attempt to persuade my eager, budding, and undoubtedly intelligent Ubers players to really exert their logic circuits and their common sense mains. When playing this game take a moment to concern not only which Pokemon go where, but also the pick order.

Of course, I am convinced that the more cunning of you have recognized the value of picking later as opposed to earlier. Picking Pokemon that influence team style is generally a bad idea, weather summoners, Pokemon with hard counters, niche counters, I advise against picking all of these earlier. The reason being that you want to bait the opposing team into making the least good pick possible; showing your big guns at the start encourages counter picks to your strongest and most integral Pokemon, something you definitely do not want.

In the case of Hippowdon being an early pick, standard sand has trouble with a few Pokemon, and has an easy time with a lot of others. I could very well be a wily wormwood and shut my mouth until team 1's last pick and smack on a Fighting or Water Arceus, which sand teams are typically weak to. There are more options: I could use Jolly Balloon Excadrill, Choice Specs Kyogre, etc. Furthermore, now team 1 will never use Ho-Oh, a Pokemon sand teams typically have little trouble with.

The inflexibility and transparency of revealing full sets in addition to the Pokemon make this a different ballgame for the less astute. Pick discreetly, with the intention to bait, befoul, bludgeon, barf upon, and generally bring waste to the opposition.
  14. gookie

gookie Adominnustrata

[​IMG]

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
    Trait: Air Lock
    EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
    Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Outrage
    - Fire Blast
    - Dragon Dance​

Rayquaza is notoriously difficult to handle. This set truly exemplifies that fact, the only reliable switch in into this is defensive Heatran, but using that on a sand team against what is probably going to be rain is suicidal. Steel Arceus is probably your next best switch in, but takes a toasty offering from Fire Blast and restricts Arceus typing. Not to mention Kyogre beats Steel Arceus on most occasions.

Draco Meteor OHKOs Hippowdon, 2HKOs courageous Gastrodon, and pretty much slices a rather large chunk out of most Pokemon. Fire Blast actually packs a surprising amount of power, still OHKOing Specially Defensive Skarmory at -2. Outrage prevents Blissey and Chansey from walling this set and in conjunction with Dragon Dance can threaten a sweep if such an opportune moment presents itself.

This also forces a Choice Scarf user upon team 2, because Excadrill cannot revenge kill Rayquaza.

fu poopy
  15. Splendiferous

Splendiferous

tl:dr version of poppy's post: Team 2 is fucked as they've revealed their team strat right from the start.

If you don't want to be outpicked you must try keep your options as wide as possible from the start. zekrom+ray+whatever will pretty much rape t2 by themselves as the ray pick forces a scarf chomp/palk which gives t1 a slot for a bulky set-upper like groudon/arceus.
  16. Furai

Furai wellfare

Nominating is closed, it's been more than 4 days now (sorry about that, I've been super busy).

My vote goes to Poppy's Mixed Rayquaza. That double dragon strategy is really harsh, and Rayquaza deals with Excadrill much better than Thundurus, who literally can't do nothing.
  17. theBEEZ KNEEZ

theBEEZ KNEEZ

Defintily Poppy's Mixed Rayquaza
  18. dragonboy52

dragonboy52
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Mixed Rayquaza
  19. Splendiferous

Splendiferous

mix quaza obviously. Team 2 have already lost.
  20. Bossness

Bossness

mix quaza.
  21. LUST

LUST
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

Mixed Rayquaza

Rayquaza is definitely worth the vote as Thundurus does nothing outside of rain and double dragon strategy would be appreciated.
  22. Fiction.

Fiction.

poppy's mixed rayquaza
  23. Tomahawk

is a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

mixed rayquaza

hey i only nominated something so we could actually vote stop insulting me >:(
  24. Manaphy

Manaphy

Rayquaza
    Does this vote even matter?
  25. Furai

Furai wellfare

Sorry I didn't update this for a while, I have been super busy with (semi)finals and such.

It has been voted unanimously for Poppy's Rayquaza!

Nomination for team 1's third member is now up and going, I will post later my suggestion. That double Dragon thing is REALLY mean, team 2 is going to have a harsh time!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)