Counter-to-the-nth-power farming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This thread will be moderated to keep discussion focused. This time it's real, muahahahahaha.

Please refer to this post, and 4 more underneath it, for what seems like a decent support to allow Training Item bonuses only to mons that equip them upon sendout.

A summary of the more agreed-upon opinions in support of this proposition:
  • Using Trick and co. to get bonuses from multiple Training Items per mon per match tilts the scales against mons without those Item-Swapping moves.
  • Heart Scale, the best Training Item that is supposed to be a reward to successful Gym veterans, has been abused with this, thus losing its exclusivity.
So, to move this on, is there any voice of dissent? Remember, we don't have to debate about flash matches and speedy 1v1s - those are not within the scope of our discussion here. I hope this discussion is short enough that we don't really have to summarize walls of texts in the OP, but I'll do it if it does happen.

Other than that, fire away ^_^

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Voting time, Council only.

Should Training Items only grant bonus counters if equipped upon first send-out, or should they remain as is and able to confer bonus by swapping Training Items around?
a) Change to grant bonus only upon initial send-out
b) Allow to grant bonus via item swapping

Tagging the other Council members, Maxim / Texas Cloverleaf / deadfox081 / Dogfish44

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Always thought the whole Trick thing was dumb and anti-competitive

a) Change to grant bonus only upon initial send-out

I fully realise this is over but would like to voice my opinion none the less.

b) Allow to grant bonus via item swapping

My reasoning is that the only place this is a real problem is self refereed matches where there is no incentive for either player to win. In a match refereed by a third party the winner is rewarded with a KO, which equals the gain from item swapping for all intents and purposes. I don't think swapping is anti competitive in these matches as it generally means forgoing an action and decreases your chances of getting that KO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)