XY OU Crawdaunt and Stall

Team Preview:

Purpose/How the Team Plays:
Basically I make defensive switches and try to whittle down my opponent's team with status and offensive pressure. I try to get Crawdaunt in safely to help deal major damage to the opposing teams and break anything that is walling me. I've been playing this team without making too many risky predictions so far, because if I over predict and lose a vital Pokemon my team slow falls apart.

I maxed out around 1600 Elo and have been fluctuating in the 1500's sometimes dipping into the high 1400's if I'm on tilt.

Team Building Process:

I started with Crawdaunt first, this is because I've enjoyed Crawdaunt since gen 3 and decided to build a team around him after getting Adaptability he got a much needed boost in power.

The next thing I looked for is a Pokemon that can cover Crawdaunt's weakness, and Venusaur covered them perfectly (or any grass poison Pokemon). I also decided to make Venusaur my mega here as well to get rid of the fire and ice weakness, and also because I wouldn't be running a sun team.

I now looked for a Pokemon that would cover Venusaur's weaknesses and choose Heatran; completing the common Grass-Fire-Water core on teams. He would also serve as a Talonflame check.

Looking for a way to deal with dragons, add offensive pressure, and provide Stealth Rocks and addition coverage, I choose Mamoswine.

Now seeing that my team has a fighting weakness, I attempt to rectify that with my next two choices. first I add Jellicent to deal with fighting types and cripple them with Will-o-Wisp

Looking for a cleric and another special wall, I choose Florges to fill the final slot of the team

After having a few battles with my previous team I decided to make a few changes. Mamoswine wasn't putting in as much as I wanted him to and he never had a good chance to set up Stealth Rocks. Even though my team isn't terribly weak to rocks and hazards, I do a lot of switches so having a defogger or spinner would be helpful for the team. So I decided to replace Mamoswine with Skarmory. Jellicent was also very underwhelming so I decided to replace it with defensive Clefable. Clefable would also help deal with setup sweepers with unaware and stall them out. Since Florges had problems dealing with some special attackers I decided to try out Chansey as my special wall and support.

This is my current team. Clefable wasn't preforming and I had trouble dealing with some steel type Pokemon and wanted a Will-o-Wisp user so I decided to try out Rotom-W. Rotom-W allows for pivots with volt switch and can burn most incoming ground types.

Skarmory wasn't doing as much work as I needed him to so I decided to switch to Landorus as my SR user. Losing defog is annoying, but I don't care too much about hazards, also he will help cover the fighting weakness I have a lot more than Skarmory did. Another things is that Mega Venusaur becomes a lot hard to check without Skarmory.

In-Depth Team Analysis:

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Pretty much the standard set for Crawdaunt and serves as a wall beaker for the team and gives me some much needed priority for revenge killing. I choose to run choice band over LO because I wanted to extra power and rarely found myself wanting to switch moves over switching out. I'm running Superpower over Crunch because Superpower helps me easily deal with Ferrothorn. I often find Crawdaunt a hit or miss Pokemon on my team. Sometimes I can deal with opposing teams without using Crawdaunt, or he sometimes puts in a lot of work if he can get in safely.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]?
- Synthesis

Standard Defensive set. I run HP fire over leech seed to deal with steel types that think they can safely switch in and set up, like Bisharp and Scizor. It also helps me 1v1 Ferrothorn's as I have some issues safely dealing with it, without wearing out my other Pokemon. Also serves as a Keldeo check for my team as Mega Venusaur has very good special bulk as well. Also serves as my main fighting resist, as this team does have some issues with physical fighting type moves.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic?
- Protect
- Lava Plume
- Roar

Specially Defensive Heatran. I run Roar for phasing out setup sweepers and toxic to help wear down opposing Pokemon. I run 248 HP EVs to take less damage from rocks and protect to provide additional recovery from leftovers and allows me to scout for moves of choiced users that switch in. Heatran puts in a lot of work on team, but I feel like a more offensive set might put in more work. My go to switch in against the Lati@s twins, it's a lot hard to switch into Latios, since I fear the EQ or Surf. He also doesn't mind coming in and getting tricked, as I mainly just Lava Plume and only Roar out set up sweepers. I don't often use Toxic with my Heatram, so maybe Earth Power would be a better option, to touch opposing Heatrans or Will-O-Wisp and Heatran lures in a lot of Physical attackers.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Wish passer and Special Wall, Wish helps me heal up my other Pokemon without reliable recovery and safe switch ins. I also run Soft-boiled to heal up on special attackers, since I'm not running Wish/Protect with leftovers. She serves as a very good pivot on special attacks and can stall them out with toxic and wish/soft-boiled. I'm running Seismic Toss to prevent being taunted. This really helps me deal with Charizard Y. I tried running heal bell on Chansey, but it's hard to replace any other move. I also have Status absorb-ers, but Venusaur does appreciate a burn and Rotom-W doesn't appreciate a poison/toxic or burn.

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Did it's job very well, but couldn't wall Psyshock users or Charizard Y very well.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off?
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Serves as my Stealth Rock users, a physical wall and a 'slow' U-Turn pivot for the team. Intimidates help deal with a lot of set up sweepers and other physical attackers giving Landorus addition bulk. I run 8 SpDef Evs to avoid OHKO from Mega Manetrics's HP ice and 8 Speed EVs to out speed the standard defensive Rotom-W set, so I can safely U-turn out. He also serves as a check to most DD Charizard X sets as he can reliably deal major damgae with EQ's. I am considering running a rock move(rock slide or stone edge) over knock off to better deal with Mega Pinsir and Talonflame and can also deal with Charizard X if he chooses not to mega to avoid EQ's.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Roost

My main rock user and defogger. Skarmory serves as a check to Mega Pinsir and Mega Heracross and a pseudo-check to Mega Venusaur as I can deal reliable damage to it and stall it out of Synthesis's. HE can also safely come in on Landorus-T, but doesn't appreciate a Knock Off. Skarmory hasn't put in that much work and I feel like I can have a better option in this slot.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

An offensive Stealth Rock user, didn't always find the best times to get up rocks and often served better and an offensive presence.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

The standard defensive set, running 44 Spe EV's to out-speed Azumarill. He often serves as my lead to volt switch out or Will-o-Wisp a lot of common leads. Volt Switch lets me gain more momentum and can let Crawdaunt get in safely. He serves as my team's Will-O-Wisp user to cripple a lot of physical attackers. I really like the Grass-Water-Fire core that Rotom makes with Venusaur and Heatran. Serves as a very good check to Steel types and can threaten to burn them.
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Thunder Wave

Standard defensive set with wish support. I ran thunder wave hoping to cripple Pokemon to allow Crawdaunt to out speed them. Still had a hard time dealing with a lot of setup sweepers and switching into them.Had a problem dealing with steel types

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

Scald and Will-o for burns on Physical attackers

Issues and Problem Pokemon/Teams:

Latios/Latias - Latios is annoying as it provides a lot of offensive pressure and can check Heatran with EQ, but Heatran serves as a good check. I also fear trick on these Pokemon as the can cripple Chansey and Heatran and I can't easily switch in other Pokemon.

Ferrothorn - I have a hard time dealing with Ferrothorn if I have get Heatran in safely Lava Plume is an OHKO, but Venusaur is the only safe switch in. Rotom-Wash helps deal with Ferro with Will-O-Wisp

Mega Venusaur - basically the same issue as Ferrothorn, but even harder to kill with thick fat. Heatran is decent answers, but leech seed really hurts and I can't deal major damage with Lava plume

Voltturn - Volt Switch and U-turn give the opposing team a lot of offensive momentum and I have little to stop it and eventually get worn down. Having a ground-type would help deal with certain Volt Switch users.

Gengar - Very hard to switch into, Chansey can switch in, but can't touch Gengar at all. If it carries Black Sludge and Substitute it is very hard to break, unless I can get Heatran in safely or get a burn.

Kyurem-B - Since he can run a lot of sets, physical, special, mixed I don't have a lot of good switch ins. Chansey can easily switch in on most sets, but it has to fear the Outrage from a mixed set.

Baton Pass (w. Espeon) - I basically have no ways to phase out or reliably status Espeon or really deal with it if it has Morning Sun. If Crawdaunt can get in safely before any calm mind boosts knock off can kill and he can take an HP fighting.

Mega Charizard X - It's very hard to wear down, especially with roost. It's also very hard to toxic because Heatran and Chansey aren't safe switch ins. The full offensive set is very hard to wall as nothing really wants to take a flare blitz and Crawdaunt can't kill with an Aqua Jet.

Mega Heracross - puts on a lot of offensive pressure and if it can get up a free SD, it puts a lot of pressure on my team. I can juggle intimidates with Landorus-T, but Landorus-T can't really touch Heracross in return. It also can out speed my Rotom-Wash and kill with Bullet Seed before I get a chance to burn it. I might invest more in Speed to out-speed Heracross to get the burn.

Suicune - I have nothing that puts pressue on Suicune, especially after it sets up a few calm minds, I can only phase it out with Heatran.

Mega Medicham - I have almost no switch in's to Mega Medicham, depending on the set. If it carries BP over Ice Punch, Landorus is a good check and Rotom can hope to burn.

Thoughts on team and possible alternative options:

Scizor- can switch in on a lot of the Special Attackers, like Kyurem-B and Lati@s and threaten with BP or Knock Off. He can also help serve as a pivot with U-turn and Heatran covers the Fire Weakness. He would probably replace Crawdaunt as they both fulfill similar roles and have similar move-sets, but Scizor is a lot more bulky.

Bulky Water Types - Slowbro or Quagsire might be better options over Rotom-W. Quagisre helps deal with Physical setup sweepers with unaware and they both have a more Reliable form of recovery. One issue is that I lose a valuable flying resist on my team.

Offensive Heatran - Heatran puts in a lot of work on this team and I feel like if Heatran had more of an offensive presence he could put in even more work on the team. Running Earth Power would help deal Charizard X and a few other Pokemon. I don't often find myself using toxic. I could run Stealth Rocks on Heatran and make my Landorus-T more offensive.

Mega Venusaur and Heatran put in a lot of work on this team and serve as a solid core. While Crawdaunt has been hit or miss, but using CB over LO has helped his power out. Chansey has been a great special wall, but I need to keep her healthy since we don't have leftovers for recovery, I would also like to carry Heal Bell but I think Toxic is the better choice. Rotom-W has been doing a pretty good job crippling a lot of physical attackers. Even though Landorus-T replaced Skarmory, I still find it hard to get a chance to setup my Rocks. So far losing Defog on Skarmory hasn't hurt my team too badly.

Replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-171346893
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-173460337
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-171354473
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-171591124
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-171594796
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-173258794
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-173508747
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-173513112

Importable team:
Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Lava Plume
- Roar

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Edit 1: Changed Skarmory for Landorus, the threat list and a few of the descriptions a bit.

Last edited:
Bump. I Replaced Skarmory for Landorus-T and changed a few things in the RMT. Any feedback is welcome, especially on the RMT as well so I can possibly make a better RMT next time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)