Create Your Own Adventure - Comic

Recently I have been doing a lot of thinking about this project and I want to present it to you guys. Having been reading a lot of Nuzlocke Comics and playing a lot of Mass Effect I had a stroke of genius! Since Mass Effect’s choice system is based upon the old ‘Create Your Own Adventure Comics’ of old, I thought that maybe we as a community could create a comic like this.

I have wanted to do a new run through of Pearl for awhile, since it has been a few years since I have played through this version, and since it will still be awhile before Black & White hit N.A. I wanted to shake things up a bit and chronical the adventure like many have been doing with their Nuzlocke adventures and to give you guys some control over what happens.

You Guys have already chosen that:

• Only the fainting=death aspect of nuzlocke will be used
  • Cubone is the starter
  • The protagonist will be an older 20 something man in a grittier world
  • J.T. should look for clues on his own and not notify the authorities.
  • J.T. should run from the authorities instead of trying to explain himself
  • J.T. should seek answers and not refuge!

CURRENT DECISION TO MAKE (CH. 4)

Should J.T. either:

1. Visit Professor Rowan - 9

or

2. Visit Dawn's Family - 3

Once this thing gets started I will give a choice at the end of each comic that will affect the direction of the story and you as a community can vote to decide which option to choose and the next comic will reflect this option and the story will continue to progress.

Sound interesting? If so, start posting your ideas about the first couple choices I listed as well as any other ideas/comments you might have!

Prologue:

Chapter 1:

Chapter 2:

Chapter 3:

Chapter 4:

I vote grittier.

But I have dark preferences anyway, so my opinion is biased.

With a darker feel, it would feel more natural to incorporate the Nuzlocke rules and have them create a connection with the reader.

As for the starter...that's tough. Something with a three-stage evolution seems fitting though.

I don't think you should do a Nuzlocke, but maybe some other sort of challenge, like a mono-type run or something. Nuzlocke would be very interesting, but since you haven't played in a couple years I wouldn't recommend it.

I love the idea of not starting out with a typical starter, kind of like the Mystery Dungeon series. Obviously you'd pick something that you could find early on though (one of my characters had Shinx for her first Pokemon).

For a comic I'd stick to the main Pokemon theme, but with a different character. After all, most the people who play are not ten-year-olds with girly voices. :P Maybe some version of yourself, I dunno.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to this comic!

Sounds fascinating, I'll give my input.

-Yes! I love Nuzlocke comics although I lack the patience to finish my own run-through
-Some ideas: Mareep, Vulpix, Growlithe, Meowth, Psyduck, Eevee, Delibird, Teddursa. Just some cute/funny choices.
-I like the first one, a bit more traditional might be fun.

Good luck, I'm curious how this turns out.

Thanks for the input so quickly guys!

@Frost - Yeah, I agree a 3-stager would be best. It would allow for more growth throughout the story.

@kipp - I just have not played Pearl in a couple years. I played HeartGold a couple times through this year and I did a Ruby Nuzlocke this summer as well. Not too worried about the difficulty in that respect, lol.

Also @kipp but to everyone else who might want to give input as well... I am planning on trading whatever starter you guys choose over to this game so feel free to choose anything you guys want. I would prefer to go with something more exotic or unusual than what you can find right out of the gate so use your imaginations. I WILL BE STARTING WITH THE LOWEST EVOLUTION OF WHATEVER YOU GUYS DECIDE THOUGH.

Oh, didn't realize you had only not played Pearl in a few years.

You could put a poll up asking what three-stage Pokemon you should use, maybe a few basic options (Starly, Shinx, Geodude and some other boring options along with "Other").

I've barely started my Emerald Nuzlocke even though I started a month or two ago, lol. Kudos.

Oh, didn't realize you had only not played Pearl in a few years.

You could put a poll up asking what three-stage Pokemon you should use, maybe a few basic options (Starly, Shinx, Geodude and some other boring options along with "Other").

I've barely started my Emerald Nuzlocke even though I started a month or two ago, lol. Kudos.
Yeah... the Nuzlocke took A LOT of patience and discipline... when your prized pokemon takes a Crit to the face and faints its kind of hard to actually stick to the rules and release, lol.

I thought about using a poll but I don't want to stifle the creative energy of this choice by limiting the options... there is, what, almost 500 pokemon in the 1st 4 generations? I kind of want to see what people come up with and then I will make a poll to narrow down the most common choices to the final decision.

Hmm...Darker and grittier is a lot more fun than bright imo, unless it's a parody comic, and you plan to point out all the faults in the game, They can be hit or miss though, so I'll say that Grittier would be the best.

No Nuzlocke. Make rules up for yourself if you want, but Nuzlocke + Choose your own adventure greatly limits your options, and isn't something I'd do first-time. Perhaps if there's another one, it might be an idea, but imo a non-nuzlocke would be better.

As for a starter, I'd suggest a Fire-Type. Without Chimchar, the only fire-type you can encounter is Ponyta. If you want a 3-Stage evolution, then that narrows it down to just Magby, so I guess that's my recommendation.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
use machop use machop use machop use machop use machop use machop use machop use machop use machop use machop use machop use machop use machop use machop use machop use machop use machop

This actually sounds like a cool idea, I'll throw in some input for fun:

Starter: Magby, Elekid and Starly would be my personal choices, though in Pearl you'd have to go to a second game to evolve Magmar/Electabuzz pre-E4 and starting with Starly is kinda pointless since you can get it easily enough ingame. Eevee is also pretty cool.

Nuzlocke?: This is really your preference, though it can also depend somewhat on what kind of story you want to write (Nuzlocke fits better with a gritty story, for example). I'd rather not see a monotype or anything similar to it though, since it limits what you can use quite a bit, plus you have to justify it in the story somehow (monotype isn't too bad, but some of the other more gimmicky options don't really make sense). Also, seeing someone's point above me made me realize that, yes, Nuzlocke, while technically not limiting what you can use, greatly limits what choice the people have in what you use since you're restricted by the RNG.

Story style: I'm leaning towards gritty personally, having seen some of the really well-done ones in the Nuzlocke thread, but traditional can certainly work too. Just don't go with the whole "innocent 10-year old" thing.

Can't wait to see what comes out of this!

Death just creates a touching scenario and makes the whole story more endearing and meaningful after you've created that bond with the characters (Pokemon). Nuzlocke is a fantastic way to create that kind of tense "Is he going to make it?" feel; there's just so much suspense and it can really create an unpredictable storyline. Just my opinion, anyway.
As for the starter, I've composed a short list of interesting choices: Nidoran, Abra, Dratini, Aron, Togepi, Mareep, Azurill, or Starly. Someone brought up Growlithe, and while he's not a three stage Pokemon, I think he could certainly be an exception...it's one of the few Pokemon that really exemplify the "Man's best friend" concept...plus he's cuddly AND cool.

I am thinking, based on what you guys have been saying, that I will probably make up a type of adventure with a custom set of rules... If Nuzlocke is too restricting then maybe I will just take the death aspect of it since some people feel strongly about that. Thoughts? other ideas?

I might even make that the only rule and let you guys decide everything else based on your collective system of morality, lol.

I am liking some of the ideas that are coming out about the starter! Keep posting your ideas on all 3 points and lets see if we can come to a semi consensus!

My two sinks:

Grittier. I want death. I want blood (not really). The Pokemon World is too cheery. If anything, put a gritty character into an otherwise innocent world and see what happens.

Starter Pick: Ralts. Gallade or Gardevoir are both interesting choices, so pick your favorite midway through the story. I believe you can get a Dawn Stone in Veilstone somewhere...

Character: Gritty, as previously mentioned. He can be ten years old, but just make sure he's gritty.

Just my ideas.

My two sinks:

Grittier. I want death. I want blood (not really). The Pokemon World is too cheery. If anything, put a gritty character into an otherwise innocent world and see what happens.

Starter Pick: Ralts. Gallade or Gardevoir are both interesting choices, so pick your favorite midway through the story. I believe you can get a Dawn Stone in Veilstone somewhere...

Character: Gritty, as previously mentioned. He can be ten years old, but just make sure he's gritty.

Just my ideas.
I really like that idea about a gritty character in the innocent world of the games... that could be almost more interesting than just making the whole world more gritty... good thought.

In all reality, a ten year old shouldn't be going around the world fighting evil.

You could possibly make him an angry 13 year old trying to get through a world of rainbows and sunshine wondering how everyone lives in it. :B Mostly joking, but I like the idea of some sort of older character.

Ralts sounds likes a cool idea, same with Eevee. How about Burmy? You find it quite early on and it has diverse evolutions. Maybe Snorunt too.

magnemite for a starter. His fully evolved form is similar to the BST of most starters, and it should. Slakoth and pidgey evolves at similar levels, if that's what you're looking for

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Starters:

If you're going with a gritty, but not TOO gritty, storyline, then these things could easily work IMO:

Aron
Duskull
Larvitar
Ryhorn
Zubat

Also, go gritty, but not too gritty IMO.

I am thinking, based on what you guys have been saying, that I will probably make up a type of adventure with a custom set of rules... If Nuzlocke is too restricting then maybe I will just take the death aspect of it since some people feel strongly about that. Thoughts? other ideas?

I might even make that the only rule and let you guys decide everything else based on your collective system of morality, lol.

I am liking some of the ideas that are coming out about the starter! Keep posting your ideas on all 3 points and lets see if we can come to a semi consensus!
I actually really like the idea of taking just the fainting=death rule from Nuzlocke, allows the grittiness and extra-challenge of Nuzlocke without restricting choice. I approve. I also like Ralts as a starter, didn't think of him but he's a cool choice.

This is a very good idea!
Like most others. I like the aspect of the death of a comrade. as for the starter, I'd lean towards a personal favorite or an unconventional choice of starter. Like a cacnea or a swinub, something that really hasn't been explored before.

I am really liking the input that I have been getting since last night! I sounds like everyone is leaning toward a grittier story with the possibility of death looming overhead but no other restrictions and a character who is older. This all sounds great to me so far! If we can just come to a decision on the starter then we can get going! I think I will give it another day or two of input and then I will set up a poll and we will vote on the starter based on some of the most passionate or repeated statements on this topic! Thanks everyone for the interest!

your starter should be togepi. Togekiss is beast. and of couse, you should use a more gritty rendition of the modern world. With animal cruelty and slavery.

I gotta go, but this sounds cool. Here's my fast input:

1) No nuzlocke
2) Gritty and realistic
3) I totally vote Munchlax for starter

your starter should be togepi. Togekiss is beast. and of couse, you should use a more gritty rendition of the modern world. With animal cruelty and slavery.
lol

Hmmm.... interesting. I had not really thought about having one of the cutesy pokemon as the starter. Togepi, cleffa, igglybuff... would be interesting to have in a gritty world, lol.

Just for everyone's information, I am starting to compile a list of starters for the poll which will likely go up tomorrow afternoon. The ones being considered are those that someone has either spoken out strongly about (as in that is the ONLY starter they have listed) or those that have been mentioned multiple times. There is still plenty of time to get your nomination in, I will accept new ideas until the last second.

Also I have never done a poll before... can I do more than one poll per thread? Like if I do a poll for the starter can I delete it when the voting ends and then create a new poll for the decisions after every page? Anyone have experience with this? Let me know! :) Thanks guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)