Creative (and good) Movesets Mk II (READ THE OP FIRST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
^I don't want to ruin your fun, but Counter + Magic Guard is actually illegal since Zam there hasn't been a Counter tutor since Gen 3 o.o

Yeah I realised. Showdown must've glitched a while ago as I was able to use Counter Zam without any problems. It doesn't work now though.

Golurk @ Focus Sash
Nature: Adamant
Ability: No Guard
252 Atk/ 252 Spe

Stealth Rock
Dynamic Punch
Earthquake
Rock Polish

Golurk is the only ghost type with the ability to learn to stealth rock.

What does this mean? He can set up Hazards and Spin block. When faced with a weather lead, the only thing you're going to have problems with is politoed, and that's where rock polish comes in.

The main goal of this set is to Set up and potentially take out some of the opponents pokemon. This makes for a very versatile lead set.

and with the addition of block to move tutors.......

Crustle @ White Herb
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Sturdy
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def

BLOCK
Shell Smash
X-Scissor/ Bug Bite
Earthquake

Now Crustle has a really safe way of setting up on something unsuspecting if they don't have a move to switch out

Volcarona (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 56 SAtk / 180 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fiery Dance
- Roost

This Volcarona set is beautiful. It usually starts the games because at turn 1 the stealth rock can't be present and it can do some damages without worrying about the residual damage from stealth rock. Will-o-Wisp can burn Terrakion, Gyarados, Landorus and similiar stuff, U-turn to scout and Bug Buzz and Fiery Dance are a strong STAB. 252 evs in HP and 20 evs in defense are useful for switch-in more easily against Genesect or another U-Turn users (Scizor for example) and to take advantage of Flame Body. I suggest you to try this set, it isn't bad at all.

Zapdos @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn / Volt Switch

Zapdos is an under-appreciated Poke in OU, but it has great surprise factor with a Choice Scarf set. Base 100 allows it revenge a great amount of targets. Comparatively, it losses to Thundurus-T due to its inability to always outspeed base 100's. However Zapdos' advantage is surprise factor, better bulk, and Heat Wave. These all allow it to surprise Genesect leads he mistake it for a bulky set and then proceed to get OHKO'ed. It's better bulk comes in handy for teams that struggle to check Tornadus-T. Like Thundurus-T it an keep momentum with U-turn or Volt Switch. Can't wait for Lightning Rod though since Volt Absorb makes Thundy better. +1 Sp. Atk will allow for some cool late game sweeps compared to getting health with Volt Absorb.

- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz

This Volcarona set is beautiful. It usually starts the games because at turn 1 the stealth rock can't be present and it can do some damages without worrying about the residual damage from stealth rock. Will-o-Wisp can burn Terrakion, Gyarados, Landorus and similiar stuff, U-turn to scout and Bug Buzz and Fiery Dance are a strong STAB. 252 evs in HP and 20 evs in defense are useful for switch-in more easily against Genesect or another U-Turn users (Scizor for example) and to take advantage of Flame Body. I suggest you to try this set, it isn't bad at all.
Since you're not going to be sweeping with this, you should probably use Fire Blast over Fiery Dance for greater power.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz

You didn't explain the Speed evs, which seems to be a huge waste. I would probably put them in SpD to better check Genesect. Also i would remove Bug Buzz for Roost, as no bug type pokemon is going to stay in Volcarona anyway, and Roost obviously is a good move to have...

Heatran @ Shuca Berry, Calm nature
252 HP / 68 Def / 190 SpDef
-Stealth Rock
-Magma Storm
-Earth Power
-(Will-o-wisp / Roar etc)
So, this is one of my new babies. Obviously the point of the Shuca Berry is to ruin the GeneDug combo. But wait, isn't Shuca inferior to Shed Shell? Not so. Unlike SS, Shuca lets you use Heatran as a lure for Dugtrio. It can't OHKO you, letting you set up SR (especially against Lavos Sun), or else try and kill it through Sash with Magma Storm. Magma Storm is pretty underrated imo even on a non-trapping set; it prevents double switching, which is huge against stronger players, and is also substantially more powerful than Fire Blast once the residual damage is taken into account. I've been using this alongside Tyranitar, for fairly obvious reasons; with Dugtrio gone, Tyranitar has a field day against common weather teams. EV's are still geared towards special bulk, but the extra physical defense guarantees you'll survive a +1 DNite Outrage from full health.

You didn't explain the Speed evs, which seems to be a huge waste. I would probably put them in SpD to better check Genesect. Also i would remove Bug Buzz for Roost, as no bug type pokemon is going to stay in Volcarona anyway, and Roost obviously is a good move to have...
Yes Roost is better, it hasn't roost because it comes from a BW1 team

Thanks, fixed my last post

EDIT: @Ithilanor: It has Fiery Dance because I don't like a lot the accuracy of fire blast, it must only block some pokèmons, I don't want more power, but I will try your suggest, thanks.

Walrein @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
Nature: Careful
252 HP/ 176 Def/ 76 S.Def

Aqua Ring
Protect
Roar
Super Fang

Hails Bulk. Meant to be a phaser, Super Fang on a Defensive wall is extremely good and you can set up revenge kills on ALOT of pokemon (not counting ghost) with this guy before he goes down.

Walrein @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
Nature: Careful
252 HP/ 176 Def/ 76 S.Def

Aqua Ring
Protect
Roar
Super Fang

Hails Bulk. Meant to be a phaser, Super Fang on a Defensive wall is extremely good and you can set up revenge kills on ALOT of pokemon (not counting ghost) with this guy before he goes down.
No good recovery, weak to hazards, weak to fighting moves. It's likely a good set, but OU might be a bit too much for it.

Aqua ring on top of Ice body and left overs isn't good recovery with Protect?

Why do we use tentacruel again outside of being a rapid spinner?

Aqua ring on top of Ice body and left overs isn't good recovery with Protect?

Why do we use tentacruel again outside of being a rapid spinner?
Tentacruel doesn't need to use Aqua Ring, isn't weak to Fighting, isn't weak to SR, works in Rain instead of Hail and...

... it Rapid Spins.

Etherdrive, recovery doesn't mean much when most pure attackers in this metagame can still easily OHKO it with a supereffective attack. Not to mention its absolute set up fodder for any defensive team, loses without fail to Toxic, etc. Really, if you can provide it with Hail support, just use the standard SubProtect staller - that at least has a niche (beating hyperoffense easily).

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
While the set itself isn't creative here, what's creative is the Pokemon choice itself.

Swoobat @ Life Orb
Trait: Simple
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 240 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power / Psychic
- Heat Wave
- Giga Drain

An odd choice, yes, but after a single boost Swoobat's Special Attack reaches 506, and backed by Life Orb and powerful STAB it's a force to be reckoned with. Heat Wave hits Steel-types hard while Giga Drain restores HP. The EVs max Special Attack, always outspeed Choice Scarf Abomasnow, and make an immediate Genesect switchin get a Special Attack boost (iirc Swoobat can tank the special hits at +2 but not a +1 U-Turn). Base 114 Speed is pretty awesome for OU, and with a boost it can beat many of the things above it (although a Specs Jolteon's Thunder might still OHKO, Idk).

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
But what does Swoobat set-up against? If he takes even a single hit from a defensive poke while setting up, it can be revenge killed by every single scarfer in OU (and Torn-T, Starmie, Dugtrio and Jolteon). Stored Power seems very bad, as it means that at +0 you can't threaten anything out, making you all that easy to revenge kill (you will be weakened after taking a hit from the defensive poke). Maybe with screen support this fella has some potential, as it is pretty easy to grab mulitple CM boosts, and then restore any health lost with Giga Drain. May be worth a try.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It can set up on certain Fighting-types (Breloom without Stone Edge or Thunderpunch in particular, assuming Sleep Clause), Deoxys-D, Tentacruel, Forretress without Gyro Ball (HP Ice version is better), Espeon, Xatu, Specs Keldeo (Hydro Pump outside of Rain does 84.53 - 99.64% to +2 Swoobat, and Swoobat always OHKOs back with +2 Giga Drain), Special Landorus before the Rock Polish, any Pokemon locked into a Ground or Fighting move (Jolly CB Terrakion doesn't get any more than 50% with Close Combat), Leftovers Gengar, Celebi without TWave or the appropriate Hidden Power, Gastrodon, and a few other things that I'm forgetting. It's fast enough to handily outspeed a large portion of OU and threaten a revenge kill to something it outspeeds, and when that something can't do anything in return to Swoobat it's pretty much a free +2. Admittedly it has big problems with priority (besides Mach Punch, of course), but with proper support it makes an amazing late-game cleaner. I never thought about Screens support to be honest (I never think about that, Screens waste turns that I could be using to kill stuff imo), but that sounds even better.

Also, it's a freaking heart bat.

EDIT: LO Tornadus-T does 65.82 - 77.69% to +2 Swoobat.

Zapdos @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn / Volt Switch

Zapdos is an under-appreciated Poke in OU, but it has great surprise factor with a Choice Scarf set. Base 100 allows it revenge a great amount of targets. Comparatively, it losses to Thundurus-T due to its inability to always outspeed base 100's. However Zapdos' advantage is surprise factor, better bulk, and Heat Wave. These all allow it to surprise Genesect leads he mistake it for a bulky set and then proceed to get OHKO'ed. It's better bulk comes in handy for teams that struggle to check Tornadus-T. Like Thundurus-T it an keep momentum with U-turn or Volt Switch. Can't wait for Lightning Rod though since Volt Absorb makes Thundy better. +1 Sp. Atk will allow for some cool late game sweeps compared to getting health with Volt Absorb.
This set is fairly effective. I had tested it out a few weeks ago and it put in a lot of work. It can somewhat function as a Genesect-esque scout lead as well. I would put Volt Switch over U-turn, however, because being able to get out against Thundurus-T and Ground types is a lesser advantage than being able to hit and run with a decently powerful Volt Switch.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Latios @ Water Gem
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Rain Dance
- Psyshock

I think it was shrang who originally came up with this set and it is incredibly effective for rain teams. Latios is one of the best baits for Tyranitar to come in and a Water Gem boosted Surf in the rain has a 70% chance to OHKO 252/252 Careful Tyranitar after rocks. Not many people play that set anymore, but it's still out there.

Sun teams handle rain teams pretty well, but with this set you can turn the tides. It resists the Grass/Fire coverage the sweepers usually carry, has great bulk to take other random special hits, and it hits like a truck itself.

You can opt to go for Life Orb on the item if you dont like the one time only water gem, and have more power in your other attacks. Most life orb Latios do carry recover so that recoil could be costly.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
It can set up on certain Fighting-types (Breloom without Stone Edge or Thunderpunch in particular, assuming Sleep Clause), Deoxys-D, Tentacruel, Forretress without Gyro Ball (HP Ice version is better), Espeon, Xatu, Specs Keldeo (Hydro Pump outside of Rain does 84.53 - 99.64% to +2 Swoobat, and Swoobat always OHKOs back with +2 Giga Drain), Special Landorus before the Rock Polish, any Pokemon locked into a Ground or Fighting move (Jolly CB Terrakion doesn't get any more than 50% with Close Combat), Leftovers Gengar, Celebi without TWave or the appropriate Hidden Power, Gastrodon, and a few other things that I'm forgetting. It's fast enough to handily outspeed a large portion of OU and threaten a revenge kill to something it outspeeds, and when that something can't do anything in return to Swoobat it's pretty much a free +2. Admittedly it has big problems with priority (besides Mach Punch, of course), but with proper support it makes an amazing late-game cleaner. I never thought about Screens support to be honest (I never think about that, Screens waste turns that I could be using to kill stuff imo), but that sounds even better.

Also, it's a freaking heart bat.

EDIT: LO Tornadus-T does 65.82 - 77.69% to +2 Swoobat.
If a poke does enough damage to you, so that you are succesfully revenge killed by pretty much anything, then this doesn't count as a poke you can set-up on. Almost all of the pokes you mentioned do more than 30% to Swoobat even after a CM, meaning that every single faster or priority poke will be able to revenge kill you, as you will get one kill at best.

Mamoswine @ Salac Berry
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard/Stone Edge
- Icicle Crash
- Substitute
I've been messing around with this set on an HO team and it's pretty good. The idea came from the fact that so many teams relied on revenging mamoswine. It revenges dragons early game, and sweeps late game once rotom-w and counters are weakened/removed.

Mamoswine @ Salac Berry
Trait: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard/Stone Edge
- Icicle Crash
- Substitute
I've been messing around with this set on an HO team and it's pretty good. The idea came from the fact that so many teams relied on revenging mamoswine. It revenges dragons early game, and sweeps late game once rotom-w and counters are weakened/removed.

Garchomp @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Trait: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Dragon Rush / Dual Chop
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang / Stone Edge

Garchomp, I noticed, has access to a variety of moves with high power, but low accuracy and access to Hone Claws, so why not make a boosting set with those moves? Dragon Rush and EQ for stab and Fire Fang / Stone Edge for coverage. Plus, you get the added benefit of being able to switch out instead of being locked into Outrage. Maybe outclassed in terms of raw power by the SD set but still a good set nevertheless.

Garchomp @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Trait: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Dragon Rush / Dual Chop
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang / Stone Edge

Garchomp, I noticed, has access to a variety of moves with high power, but low accuracy and access to Hone Claws, so why not make a boosting set with those moves? Dragon Rush and EQ for stab and Fire Fang / Stone Edge for coverage. Plus, you get the added benefit of being able to switch out instead of being locked into Outrage. Maybe outclassed in terms of raw power by the SD set but still a good set nevertheless.
252 +2 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Dragon Claw vs 252 HP/184 Def Gliscor (+Def) : 62,71% - 73,73%
2 hits to KO

252 +1 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Dragon Rush vs 252 HP/184 Def Gliscor (+Def) : 58,47% - 68,64%
2 hits to KO

So why would i use hone claws when a +2 dragon claw does more damage than a +1 dragon rush?

Okay, I've been lurking Smogon on and off for ages now. I've been reading this thread and finally feeling like contributing... after I've quit.
Whatever.

At above, you want it to run Dual Chop. Dual Chop is too overlooked. Being able to shit on Substitute is great. Dragon Rush has the profit of the 20% flinch chance, which at 1/5, happens plenty. About as often as you rage about that one Hydro Pump miss.
Then again, Hone Claws prevents you from missing against that new Brightpowder. Or from getting OHKO'd by Sableye's Foul Play. Whatever. It's worth considering.

Now, for some creative sets:

Mew

Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Snarl
- Roar
- Softboiled
- Will-O-Wisp

This isn't really creative, though. The issue is that I see way too many people run a sweeper Mew set. News flash: IT DOESN'T WORK. Mew is a walling Poke, and this set gets the most out of that. Mainly a physical wall, it can easily take special attacks too. Even beating Jellicent using Snarl. Synchronize is a great friend here, too. After WoW, Scizor's CB uTurn is a daring 35% damage. Easily shrugged off, that is. If this Mew is healthy, you'll have a good chance against CB Tkon too. The EVs are for speed creep + outspeed Ttar, who you can proceed to burn and render useless. Status healing support is nice.

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Block

Honestly... this set is pretty bad. But I've seen it work. I've paired it with Wobbufett. The goal of this set is obvious, and it's mainly just "for the lulz". Enjoy using it if you want.

Alomomola (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Wish
- Protect / Scald
- Soak / Scald
- Toxic

Gonna stop posting pics now.
Anyway, this Alomomola set is godlike. Alomomola is one of the only LEGIT Tkon counters. Soak on a good double switch gives you a guaranteed Toxic... or a Scald burn. Anywho, fun set. Hard to use, though. Status still a bitch, and entry hazards too. All in all, situationally awesome.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Recover
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

WHY ISN'T THIS STANDARD YET?

This Celebi set is hands-down the best set. Checks Thundurus-T. Keldeo. Breloom. Everything. Checks? Counters! I hope I don't have to explain this. U-Turn can be switched for Leaf Storm, but I honestly don't recommend it unless you really need the grass coverage.

Honchkrow (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Snatch
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Okay, we're moving back to "creative". This Honchkrow is 100% prediction based. You put it in on a weak mon, get the read and get the kill. You're now at +1 and a mean killing machine. It's all based on your prediction prowess. Oh, you lost? No need to rage at RNG or "hax", it's your own fault. Which is a satisfactory thing in Pokémanz.

Froslass (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Cursed Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spikes / Substitute / whatever / Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Block
- Pain Split / Substitute / whatever / Taunt

So, you're a Froslass tasked with protecting your hazards. Scary task indeed! So what do you do? Block them off and Destiny Bond them down. What's up now, you stupid-ass Starmie? Can't spin that well now, huh?!
Fun set for Offense teams.

Uh yeah, that's all for now. A lot of sets I've used are now considered mainstream, so I won't post them.
Peace and pikachu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)